AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-15, 22:23   Link #1
gh0stmice
*Artist

must sees.....animes you cant live without

its that time again...where i need some primo-anime reccomendations....youve guys have givin me some really good ones in the past...im hopin you'll find me some more...ive finished alot off and its time to renew my list....

i dont care what genre i just need the bests of all time...well maybe y2k to today....exceptions will be granted

i need animes that are an absolute must sees.....your favorites that you would hate to live without....a series that will move me...captivate me as a viewer...

some of your bests and favorites....the ultimate must see anime collection....

i want to see what you would consider the best anime every....
plz tell me about your suggestions....not just a list.....why do you love this series
Old 2008-01-15, 23:10   Link #2
kjk8288
Caffein > Sleep

Welcome to the N.H.K: This series was truly great. The story of the socially challenged rejects climbing back into society was so captivating and entertaining. The comedy scenes were hilarious and original as well. Definate must see!
Hanbun no tsuki ga noboru sora: A story about a beautiful girl who's been hospitalized most of her life due to fatal illness and a boy who falls in love with her. Very heart felt series that made me watch it over and over again.
Byousoku 5 Centimeter: Well it's not a series, it's a movie, but great nevertheless. It showed the cruelty of reality and showed that not everyone finds happiness in life. A very motivating and touching series. The artwork is great as well as the storyline.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. 5/5 for originality and comedy. The artwork was nothing like I've seen before (Not because it was good but because it was so original). This is the kind of series that make you fall out of your chair and laugh on the floor.
School Rumble: First series I've ever seen where almost all the characters get a descent amount of screen time. Anything you'd predict to happen just doesn't happen. There's always some wierd comical twist that makes you lol.
Baccano!: Bloody, violent, twisted but yet manages to still be hilarious. All the episodes are like puzzle pieces that confuse you until the end when the pieces start fitting together. Truly great series and deserves a view.
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan: A gory and brainless series. I don't even know why I like it, I just do. It's totally senseless and the plot is disturbing. But when you have a huge craving for blood, cuteness and laughter, this is it. If you're down or depressed this is the choice to go.
Speed Grapher: A really great series deserving of a huge thumbs up. It showed the greediness and the desire for materialism that the first world societies hold and the meaning of freedom. The story was full of great twists and it's a must see.
Overdrive: A motivating series about a failure of a boy who finds his love in cycling. He thrives to become the best even through the most hopeless of situations.
Old 2008-01-15, 23:12   Link #3
Troilism

Noein is easily the best anime I have ever seen. Great characters that all get development, a great plot with lots of twists, the BEST fight scenes I have seen in an anime and the whole thing was just incredible.

Baccano! - Super cast of characters, an intriguing plot with lots of twists but it's kind of hard to follow so you REALLY need to pay attention to the dates and such.

Toward the Terra - Wow just great great anime with superb character development and a great story with lots of twists and turns.
Old 2008-01-15, 23:18   Link #4
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Everything in my sig, Neon Genesis, FLCL, Tokyo Majin, which I'm watching now, Mai-HiME, anything by Akiyuki Shinbo (namely the Soultaker, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Hidamari Sketch) I dunno, there's a lot of greats, but start there.
Old 2008-01-15, 23:22   Link #5
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann --- I just saw this series, and I CAN'T BELIEVE that I hadn't heard of it before. It is a fantastic series with all-around lovable characters, non-stop action for the first episode (no, really. Every episode has at least SOME action SOMEWHERE). If you want a series for entertainment, look no further. It is also a fairly long series, with 26 episodes and one summary episode (episode 16). With a sprinkling of fanservice (i.e. Yoko), this is a really fun anime to watch, and i enjoyed every minute of it.
Old 2008-01-15, 23:28   Link #6
gh0stmice
*Artist

you know...ive never gotten around to seeing "welcome to the nhk" i hear about it sooo often..planning on watching it...but never got around to it....

same deal with gurren lagann....

sweet deal....thank you...
Old 2008-01-16, 02:14   Link #7
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stmice View Post
you know...ive never gotten around to seeing "welcome to the nhk" i hear about it sooo often..planning on watching it...but never got around to it....

same deal with gurren lagann....

sweet deal....thank you...
lol exactly the same happens to me with both animes
Old 2008-01-16, 02:31   Link #8
psgels

Send a message via MSN to psgels
My own favourite series has to be Mahou Shoujotai. It's quite an unknown title by Studio 4C, but it's got the most amazing storyline. Other favourites include Noein, Escaflowne, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Simoun, The Third and Bokura no.
Old 2008-01-16, 09:08   Link #9
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Again, I'll suggest Haibane Renmei. Dunno if you decided to try to the end yet, but for me, like Elfen Lied, it reaches an emotional level that's impossible to put in to words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stmice View Post
Ehe same here.
Old 2008-01-16, 10:19   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't think there's any anime I "can't live without," but I'd obviously recommend anything in my signature that you haven't seen. You'll find NHK and Noein there. I'd also endorse Mahou Shoujotai for the story and artwork, though I find the short-episode format annoying. In the comedy department, School Rumble is pretty much also a must-see, and Jungle wa Itsumo Hale noche Guu comes close.

I'm amazed that no one's yet mentioned classic shows like Monster or Twelve Kingdoms or films by Miyazaki. Most of the recommendations so far only span the past couple of years.
Old 2008-01-16, 17:55   Link #11
zephyrus

voices of a distant star
gunslinger girl
shuffle!
ef a tale of memories
currently airing - h20 footprints in the sand
currently airing - gundam 00

well these are currently my favourites and i think animes that have lotsa potential
Old 2008-01-16, 18:03   Link #12
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Code Geass is a good anime. Nice story and it's getting a second season. Others I could recommend are: Tokimeki Memorial ~ Only Love, Kanon (2006), sola, Fate/Stay Night, and CLANNAD (on-going). These are just some of my favorites. If I name them all, it might take forever
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2008-01-16, 18:10   Link #13
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Anime that I cant live without...

Ghost Hunt: manga is better but anime delievers in the creepy department.
Mononoke: Medicine Seller goes around killing demons. Dont let the art style deter you, this anime rocks.
Black Lagoon: Girl with gun, nuff said.
Trigun: Oldly but a goody, Vash is awesome.
xxxHolic: A nice twist on the weird and creepy, art work isnt stellar (in the anime) but one of CLAMP's best works.
Full Metal Panic, fumoffu and TSR: all 3 of in the FMP series deliever in the mecha area and comedy area.

I also 2nd Code Geass, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Baccano!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2008-01-16, 18:33   Link #14
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Yes, Neon Genesis Evangelion is a must watch for anyone. I don't care if you're hardcore "otaku" or a casual watcher, this anime has to be one of, if not the best animes ever created. You will not be disappointed.
Old 2008-01-16, 19:09   Link #15
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien best love story/tragedy, never knew anime can get this emotional until i saw this

Ruruoni Kenshin i love the manga and episode 1-64? of the anime, the ovas are super sad and super good

DB/Z/GT i know this show isnt exactly oozing plot greatness but i definitely cannot live with out this - GOKU is my favorite character of all time in anime/manga/any-story, very few characters out there that has a legacy, fell in-love with as a kid and is staying with me as an adult

Naruto 1st episode is killer and probably the greatest 1st episode i've came across, everything is exceptional until post episode 130, also this anime has some of the best fight scenes ever

Shippuuden started out slow and boring for me, now getting interesting again, episode 40-41 is the worst crap in all of naruto anime

Bleach everything after episode 12 is great, but recently i have been losing interest

Elfen Lied blood, gore, psycho concepts, the graphic-ness, and tear-jerky-ness of the plot, i love it all

Code Geass introduce a protagonist unlike any before it, my opionion: Lelouch is greater than Light Yagami....Lelouch is awesome, i love this show, the mechs are only secondary to the plot/story/character-cast

GTO this show is one of two that made me laugh the hardest and sometimes it spits out some near tearjerking moments

FMP Fumoffu the other show that made me laugh

Gundam Seed/ Gundam Seed Destiny the god damn best war-romance-drama/teen-soup-opera out there, i am definitely a hard-core fan, the music in it is also one of my favorite in anime - Kimi_Wa_Boku_Ni_Niteiru is my favorite anime song

School Days the most interesting ending i have seen so far, i definitely do not want to miss out

Ai Yori Aoshi 1st time i was introduce to the concept: Yamato Nadeshiko, i actually looked it up and i am quite fond of this concept, i usaully like my girls with long hair but aoi-chan is so great she is an exception

Last Exile something very magical about this show for me, the world that the charcters live in is really amazing

Suzuka my favorite 'boy chase girl of his dreams' anime, the manga with the continuation of the story made it even more so

Ergo Proxy my favorite post-apocalyptic dome life psycho-logical thriller, R-el Mayor is very enjoyable character to follow and she is hot

Cowboy Bebop i think Spike Spiegel is the coolest character in all of anime/manga and Faye Valentine is definitely the hottest anime babe around

Speed Grapher its really crazy but it worked and the romance is very nice and believable even though the show is pretty out there in terms of realism

Ninja Scroll the greatest movie about ninjas

Basilisk the mature theme about ninjas is the major draw for me

Vampire Hunter D quite possibly the greatest Vampire anime that i watched, better than Hellsing, better than Blood the Last Vampire and the other ones i dont really remember

Tokimeki ~Only Love~and Love Hina the other two most memorable harems for me, chick-kun pwns the rest and the whole cast of Hina is definitely the best of the harem animes

Black Lagoon is the best action anime about mafia/triad/world-of-the-underground/mobsters

Mai-Hime is my favorite sailormoon-esque anime/story, the ending is a mess though...needless to say i hate the ending but love the rest of the whole show

Kaze no Stigma another great protagonist, i have never seen a protagonist tease his female lead like Kazuma does - it is just super awesome

i'll edit this as remember more

Last edited by bbduece; 2008-01-16 at 21:07.
Old 2008-01-16, 19:14   Link #16
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Cardcaptor Sakura
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal
Haibane Renmei
SaiKano
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Byousoku 5 Centimeter
Elfen Lied
Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho
Bokurano
Old 2008-01-16, 19:16   Link #17
Omfgbbqwtf

Nana - Best Slice of life anime I have ever watched. 47 episodes long, but I was able to watch every single episodes without feeling like they are dragging it (except episode 6 which is pretty much a recap of episode 1 with additional scenes). It never fails to make me laugh or make me cry. The story is told from Nana's POV, which is refreshing since usually romace stories are told from the guy's POV. There will most likely be a season 2 coming out sooner or later.

School days - watch all the episodes in 2 days, and probably that's the best way to watch this anime IMO. I probably loved the ending because of it. Never in my life have I watch something where I feel so angry and unbearable yet still able to watch the entire thing and feel COMPLETELY fulfilled in the end.

There are a couple more, but people already mentioned it.
Old 2008-01-16, 19:46   Link #18
gh0stmice
*Artist

whats funny is i have already downloaded mononoke...seen the first episode...and the art style did deter me alittle bit....then i put it on hold....but im planning on finishing that soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Anime that I cant live without...

Mononoke: Medicine Seller goes around killing demons. Dont let the art style deter you, this anime rocks.
well well....im on episode 8 of baccano...and i like it alot...its got quite a unique feel and atmosphere to it....ive got welcome to the nhk on wait.....

im probably gonna watch Kimi ga Nozomu Eien after that....because its been suggested multiple times....thats another one ive been planning on watching

ive seen code geass suggested multiple time...i got to episode 8.....a while ago....and i gotta say its not my cup of tea....im not sure if the show picks up soon after but i was bored watching it...it seemed more like grinding level in a video game rather than enjoying what i was watching...i also put that on hold...not to sure if im gonna pick it back up thou......not to offend any die hard fans
Old 2008-01-16, 20:47   Link #19
tbl
Affably Evil

Code Geass - For Lelouch alone, this is a must see anime, but the entire series was awesome. Episodes 23-25 were powerful.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Kyon and Haruhi are by far the best male/female leads there. The show makes you laugh and think. Kyon's narration is awesome beyond words.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Epic, Epic, Epic, Epic, Epic. Enough said.

Bleach (Till the end of the SS arc) - Doesn't break the mold, but it was just exciting to watch. Not many things got my blood pumping like Bleach.

Kanon 2006 - Beautiful story.

Rurouni Kenshin - Kenshin was awesome, great fights, classic.

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen - It was a work of art and awesome for completely different reasons to the TV series.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-16, 21:54   Link #20
NominalBeast
Evolved Lurker

Ergo Proxy if you're up for the mindrape and shitload of references.
Toward the Terra. Both TV and the movie is a must watch. The manga too if you aren't easily put off by the art style.
Trigun. Just so that you can read Trigun Maximum, which is godly.
Nanoha and Nanoha A's. More like a cult classic, really. Nanoha's struggle is something not present in most Mahou Shoujo.
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. Another cult thing. Offers a different perspective that being surrounded by humanoid life form, a psychic, a time-traveler, and god of a sort isn't always fun.
Black Lagoon. Revy. Need I say more?
Blood+. How do I loved Saya?
Blue Drop. Not just the anime. The two manga are also a must. I love it for the lady-loving aliens and amusement.
Maria-sama ga Miteru. Yumi is moe and I want to be like Sei when I grow up. Need I say more?
Gundam 0079. Cult classic.
Closed Thread

Tags
lists, must see