AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-01, 11:00   Link #1
Cipher

A great main character

Yeah, I'm looking for an anime with a really fitting and well-balanced male protagonist. The type that's not too weak, not too aggressive, but one with a straight mind that it almost seems like he has great problem solving instincts. yeah, along those lines. And it would be better if you could recommend me one wherein he has to continuously solve these really big problems. oh and lots of character progression/development pls. (it sounds like m ordering pizza or somtin) It would also be nice if the guy started out badly but becomes cool later on.

so basic criteria is.
1. Male
2. Capable
3. Numerous problems
4. Character Development

and thanks. reps to all

Last edited by Cipher; 2009-08-01 at 12:13.
Old 2009-08-01, 11:14   Link #2
~Rio~
Formula of Madness

First thing that springs to mind is Valkyria Chronicles - Welkin. He's not at all aggressive even though he's a squad commander in war. Of course battles are very challenging yet he always finds a way. Worth checking out at least.
Old 2009-08-01, 11:15   Link #3
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Rio~ View Post
First thing that springs to mind is Valkyria Chronicles - Welkin. He's not at all aggressive even though he's a squad commander in war. Of course battles are very challenging yet he always finds a way. Worth checking out at least.
yeah...he was really cool. but i've finished the game so...finishing the anime is not really satisfying..responsible type is pretty cool yeah...thanks anyways.
Old 2009-08-01, 11:36   Link #4
Smithsky

Umm.. I think main characters from Kanon and Clannad fit your criteria.. unless you're looking for action and fights.
Old 2009-08-01, 11:37   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well I was gonna say Eden of the East but i kinda remember already recommending that to you before.

How about Texhnolyze?
Old 2009-08-01, 11:40   Link #6
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quancio View Post
Umm.. I think main characters from Kanon and Clannad fit your criteria.. unless you're looking for action and fights.
thanks...any genre is fine as long as it fits the criteria.
Old 2009-08-01, 11:50   Link #7
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't know about Kanon actually. He's male, capabale, has numerous problems, but there's little character development in the lead male in Kanon.

Clannad I would recommend though. But he's no Lelouch.
Old 2009-08-01, 12:11   Link #8
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't know about Kanon actually. He's male, capabale, has numerous problems, but there's little character development in the lead male in Kanon.

Clannad I would recommend though. But he's no Lelouch.
yeah...character development is really important. I've watched Clannad and...the main guy didn't really shine out a lot...and i'm not sure if he had any character development. and wow...clannad and kanon seems to have identical artwork.
Old 2009-08-01, 12:13   Link #9
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well the only character development of Tomoya in season one was Tomoya turning from being pessimistic and not caring about anything to actually enjoying life.

You have to watch After Story though. Lots of brilliant character development, there. Well from episode 9 onwards anyway.
Old 2009-08-01, 12:19   Link #10
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well the only character development of Tomoya in season one was Tomoya turning from being pessimistic and not caring about anything to actually enjoying life.

You have to watch After Story though. Lots of brilliant character development, there. Well from episode 9 onwards anyway.
clannad after story has really great rating doesn't it? i'm not really a fan of the "moe" type artwork and the personalities of the characters in that show has yet impressed me but i've only watched a few episodes so..i might stop, i might not.
Old 2009-08-01, 12:21   Link #11
mit7059

Clannad AS does have development. I would point you to Honey & Clover and Beck, in both cases there is huge character development. Planetes might work too, but there are two main characters in Planetes one male, one female but they both develop.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-08-01, 18:36   Link #12
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I'd strongly suggest Utawarerumono. The main lead is an adult, not a child or a brash 16 year old kid...and it really shows in how he sees the world and interacts with others--which I found incredibly refreshing. He's not the strongest character in the series but rather the most capable planner--he fails as much as he suceeds and often and people often pay dearly for his mistakes, most of all himself. At the start of the series, he has amnesia, so there's plenty of room for him to discover who he is and change because of it. It is a feudal piece, so your mileage might very, but I think it hits all your requirements.

I'll also suggest Kure-nai. Alot of my favorite points to exalt have nothing to do with what your are looking for...excellent dialogue, superb direction, flawed but likeable characters. The main character certainly faces many problems through the show and how he resolves them is the crux of what the show hinges on. There's points when he falters but that's where his character develops...most shows have very little character development, in this anime, it is almost a constant thing, even within a single episode the characters change--things aren't repeated or done to death, and you really have to pay attention. For the ending, I didn't like it at first, but as I pondered afterwards, I immediately decided I had judged it wrongly...it became truly the only ending that could have solved the central conflict and I've really warmed up to it with time.

Spoiler for Taboo theme:
Old 2009-08-01, 19:28   Link #13
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
i second Kure-nai its a great anime, very touching..
Old 2009-08-01, 19:50   Link #14
Camus

I second Kanon 2006 version. Valkyria Chronicles I would stay away from it as far as Welkin unless you were asking for games as well he is good there, stay away from the anime cool Welkin from the game /= the one from the anime, pretty sad really. But Kanon 2006 is great.
Old 2009-08-01, 20:29   Link #15
qwertyuiopz

overdrive
tengen toppa
history's strongest disciple kenichi
hatsukoi limited(more than 1 guy)
Old 2009-08-01, 22:47   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I third Kanon 2006 and Kure-nai. I would also include my old standby Seirei no Moribito if you don't mind a child lead (11-12). Chagum is more of a co-lead but his arc is the main driver of the drama. He's clear-headed. clever, faced with a never-ending series of challenges and has one of the biggest character arcs of anybody.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2009-08-02 at 22:48.
Old 2009-09-01, 05:43   Link #17
Cipher

Hi to everyone, sorry for the bump but can I please have more suggestions regarding capable male main character? -reps to all.

perfect examples include Eden of the East and of course, Geass.

Last edited by Cipher; 2009-09-01 at 06:14.
Old 2009-09-01, 05:58   Link #18
wkd

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Hikaru no Go and Mushishi have outstanding male leads in my opinion.
Old 2009-09-01, 06:01   Link #19
Plasma.

Cowboy bebop stands out. Spike is indeed one of a kind.
Old 2009-09-01, 06:11   Link #20
Cipher

Thanks! those were great but I've watched them already...sorry if i can't give you a list of my watched animes.-reps to all.
Closed Thread