AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-28, 06:57   Link #3121
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It could do with some additional modes by now though.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 07:07   Link #3122
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
It could do with some additional modes by now though.
Well, they're apparently introducing a new objective mode with Rebellion, involving an item pickup/delivery objective, and a non-consumable equipment slot. And still hoping that is a new enemy they're showing alongside that Vorcha.

Though I agree, new modes would be nice. The most bandied around idea seems to be an L4D style mission structure, which would take advantage of the 4-player coop setting quite nicely.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 15:14   Link #3123
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
And yet six posts back you were complaining about the multiplayer DLC not being free.

This business model isn't that bad. Indeed, I myself prefer it. With the option for players to buy packs with real money, the DLC itself can be free while still being profitable.
*facepalm*

No. I was complaining about it being advertised as free but actually having money change hands. It's the same as me getting pissed off about a mobile provider selling unlimited data but then throttling you at 3GB and charging you double if you want to tether.

If something is free, it needs to be actually fucking goddamned free, with no money changing hands at all. Don't lie and say it's free when it's not; just like the damn mobile providers saying their mobile data is unlimited when it's not.
Old 2012-05-28, 16:54   Link #3124
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That's not what you said, amusingly enough. It's rather ironic how your changing and shifting of subjects rather than admitting you were wrong sounds so much like Bioware's right now.

Regardless, it is free. 100%. The option to expend money on it does not make the content any less free. I don't have to pay a single cent to get that content. Hence, it's free. If I go to a random guy handing out free samples of something and give him ten cents for the sample, my decision to give that guy ten cents does not make the sample any less free. To pay the guy was my choice.

Additionally, your extremely flawed definition of 'free' does not exist. If a product has been made, money has exchanged hands. The people who made the product have been paid, the people who made the materials for the product have been paid, and so on and so on. Money exchanges hands on products. Hell, even charity accepts donations. So this ridiculous logic does is not an accurate indication of something being free. Something is 'free' if the end customer of a particular product does not have to pay a cent for it.

So yeah, I can fill pages on what Bioware did wrong with ME3, but as far as the DLC's are concerned, they're "actually fucking goddamned free" as you put it.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 17:35   Link #3125
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It's exactly what I said. Exactly. Word for word what I said. They claimed free but it's not free. They said "hey, download this free DLC" and when you download this free DLC, the contents of which are not accessible to you unless you pay money, real or virtual. Therefore it is not fucking free.

Free would be, "hey, download this free DLC" and open it and bam, all the new content active.
Old 2012-05-28, 17:51   Link #3126
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Honestly, guys, give it up, already.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 00:39   Link #3127
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's exactly what I said. Exactly. Word for word what I said. They claimed free but it's not free. They said "hey, download this free DLC" and when you download this free DLC, the contents of which are not accessible to you unless you pay money, real or virtual. Therefore it is not fucking free.

Free would be, "hey, download this free DLC" and open it and bam, all the new content active.
... What manner of new game content, whether free or not, updates your current gaming status to the new one? That's like saying that if Blizzard releases a new, free content update for World of Warcraft that allows players to reach Level 100, you should just also directly be able to be that while skipping all the new zones, etc. that they've put in.

An exception may be considered for equipment and perk DLCs, which obviously are unlocked from the get-go once you get them. This has always been the case - even for Mass Effect.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 01:10   Link #3128
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

The fact that your definition of "Free" now includes "Virtual Money" in its definition definitely does not bode well for any future discussion.

Still, for the majority of people, "Free" is usually in reference to the cost in real money, hence our argument here against you. And since none of us paid any real money to get our virtual items, then for us it is "Free".

All that is required for us to get said items is to invest gaming time, which we give willfully. As I mentioned earlier, it's not like we are averse to the concept of giving time in exchange for possible reward. As an example, let's look at something like Borderlands or Diablo. Both are games whose reward is based off random loot drops as you explore the game. Should I complain that I don't have a lvl 60 item with +1000 points of attribute bonuses when I am starting out at level 1, because we didn't get them "right out the gate"? Hell, some players might be able to play all day and not get items they think are worth a damn. And that's for games I have to pay the initial purchase cost for. Hell, for the Mass Effect series, I don't get my Colossus Heavy Armor or Crossfire Assault Rifle at Eden Prime when I'm level 1, does that mean I'm getting ripped off too?

The Resurgence and Rebellion DLC's have content that together would actually warrant them being a separate expansion pack, and yet they're giving it away for free. The fact that the initial weapon and character content needs to be unlocked does not detract from the fact that we are able to acquire them at zero financial cost. And you still get new maps, that don't need to be unlocked, with the content, so there's an aspect you don't need to pay for at all.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-05-29, 01:51   Link #3129
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Also, I kinda take offense at the MP being called "tacked on", since the MP is a fully functioning, if rather basic, feature that's actually quite enjoyable.
Going by the IRC activity, it does seem like its doing rather well.

Honestly, hadn't Syn mentioned it, I'd have thought the random trading card like pack thing was based on in-game grinding that rewards players just right. Making it no different from the RNG-based looting that MMORPGs are built around, and that's an acceptable practice of gameplay.
Old 2012-05-29, 02:00   Link #3130
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Going by the IRC activity, it does seem like its doing rather well.

Honestly, hadn't Syn mentioned it, I'd have thought the random trading card like pack thing was based on in-game grinding that rewards players just right. Making it no different from the RNG-based looting that MMORPGs are built around, and that's an acceptable practice of gameplay.
Admittedly, the RNG for MP is rather wonky due to the presence of character cards that don't disappear from the pool, kinda like the common item padding the lottery to ensure rare items are always rare. But then, that is the inherent 'risk' of systems that rely on RNG, commons are common, rares are uncommon but not quite, and ultra-rares are frustrating but rewarding.

Old 2012-05-29, 04:47   Link #3131
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Admittedly, the RNG for MP is rather wonky due to the presence of character cards that don't disappear from the pool, kinda like the common item padding the lottery to ensure rare items are always rare. But then, that is the inherent 'risk' of systems that rely on RNG, commons are common, rares are uncommon but not quite, and ultra-rares are frustrating but rewarding.
I beg to disagree, I haven't been using anything but Carnifex X (rare) on most of my characters (that I run with you anyway, since you guys are almost always the heavy firepower guys while I'm the power-spammer guy).

On the rare occasions that I do, it's Black Widow on my Infiltrator.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 08:28   Link #3132
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Rebellion DLC Trailer:

Edit: Replaced with English text version.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2012-05-29 at 11:38.
Old 2012-05-29, 09:56   Link #3133
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

They really do like "two steps from hell" for their trailers don't they.

This might be an incentive to give the MP another go as I haven't touched it since the last DLC pack came out.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 09:57   Link #3134
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

You know what would be cool? The MP pack characters becoming Duty Officers serving on board the Normandy, and you can fly around the galaxy sending them off on missions.

But that will probably remain a dream...
Old 2012-05-29, 23:24   Link #3135
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Man, wouldn't it be so great if the new weapons they added for MP came to SP? -_-
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 23:38   Link #3136
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well they are definitely still trying to grab people when it comes to those MP trailers. Though haven't really touched even that since right before they were about to release the first batch of DLC.

At least there is quite a good amount of classes that are out and coming.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:16   Link #3137
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
You know what would be cool? The MP pack characters becoming Duty Officers serving on board the Normandy, and you can fly around the galaxy sending them off on missions.

Okay, despite my sourpuss behavior in this thread, I am actually forced to admit that this would be pretty fucking awesome...
Old 2012-05-30, 08:23   Link #3138
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

Then each of them would have a ranking that would affect the probability of completing the mission ; you can send up to four characters on a single mission to increase the chances of success.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 23:08   Link #3139
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Then each of them would have a ranking that would affect the probability of completing the mission ; you can send up to four characters on a single mission to increase the chances of success.
You may also assign main character crew members as Department Heads, giving them some bonuses (and maybe NPC flunkies when you sortie). These Heads can also offer you some duty officer missions when you speak to them.
Old 2012-06-06, 15:32   Link #3140
Aqua Knight

Any news about ME3 from E3?

btw, Mark Meer returns to VA work in booth for ME 3 DLC.

Tags
effect, games, mass