AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-29, 03:29   Link #261
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
By the way, does anyone know if this show is 11 or 22 episodes? Because if this is 11, they've really delayed bringing the characters into more detail for too long. Even if it was 22, this is too risky. Bones might have already shot themselves in the foot with a mistake like that. It's no secret that the modern era thrives on character-oriented material. Not developing your primary characters in this time and age - rather fatalistic.
I'm pretty sure this is one cour (since it's replaced by BRS for the winter season) and there's a theatrical release which narrates Panda and Mr. Already-Dead's meeting for the first time.

Also, I'm having the hardest time paying attention the plot when Inga is being so moe or drop dead sexy all the time. On another note, I love the fashion sense of these characters and falling in love with Nozomi Yamamoto's voice. Will definitely keep an eye out for her in the future.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 14:56   Link #262
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Definitely 11 episodes.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 17:50   Link #263
zalem

Amusing series so far. Really wish it wasn't so short though. I'd like to see the story behind Inga. Obviously she isn't human (it's not every day someone can randomly morph from being a cute weird boy into a lady), but what is she? How did Shinjuurou got involved with her? I hope they resolve these things by the end of the show.
Old 2011-10-31, 06:25   Link #264
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Actually, the ;; is sweatdrops. Sometimes it's used with non-Japanese emoticons as well, such as XD;; or ;;

I'm very surprised that people didn't recognize this emoticon, I thought it was pretty common in anime fandom. I often use either ^^;; or (^^;; and nobody ever misunderstood... (at least they didn't tell me)
Same here. I use it a lot - mostly like (^_^;; ) (no idea when or where I first learned what it was, not to mention the "w" too...) I'm definitely more than a little surprised that people don't recognise it.

Then again, ask a Japanese person what some of the emoticon's English speakers use mean, and they'll have no idea...

Must admit that I didn't quite reach the 'it was a mannequin + AI' conclusion (it's horribly tempting to blame my tired brain...maybe I will (^^;; ) ) but looking forward to the 2nd half of this story later this week anyway.

I also find myself wondering just where Shinjurou was when he wasn't in Japan...but I wonder if that's only going to be revealed in the 0 episode that we won't get to see until sometime next year...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 04:01   Link #265
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Late comer to the series, I like how most of the cases he solved can't be brought to light due to greater implication it would have on large organization.

Although, the professor manipulated and cover up the truth. It wasn't for malicious or personal benefit but merely to protect social order.

It was fairly predictable this time once they reveal kawamori was responsible for invention of an advance AI for this episode. I m guessing that the gov tried to seize the technology and prevent further development from becoming public which causes kawamori to suicide and his AI was proxy managing his inheritance for the family until it can be handed over to a proper successor before faking its own death.
Old 2011-11-02, 10:04   Link #266
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I also find myself wondering just where Shinjurou was when he wasn't in Japan...
I have a feeling "I wasn't in Japan" really means "I was dead"...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 10:20   Link #267
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I have a feeling "I wasn't in Japan" really means "I was dead"...
If I recall, he actually said "in this country", not "in Japan".

I think maybe he actually came from a parallel world (like, perhaps, our world), and this world is not the future but an alternate reality?
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 11:47   Link #268
4Tran

Has there been any explanation on why the creators decided to transplant the setting of Un-Go to near-future Japan when the original was about Meiji Japan?
Old 2011-11-02, 12:59   Link #269
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Has there been any explanation on why the creators decided to transplant the setting of Un-Go to near-future Japan when the original was about Meiji Japan?
At the premiere screening event (which I attended), the director and writer explained that they originally wanted to do something based on the original stories, but updated to address modern concerns. They decided to set it in the future (or a future-like setting, anyway), because they wanted to keep the setting in "a period of rapid change" like the meiji era.

In Meiji era Japan western technology was fast changing Japanese society and there was a lot of issues with that (some would say the militanism of WWII is a direct cause of a country modernizing too fast).

The creators wanted to transplant that to the modern day effects of new technology on society.

This is what I remember them explaining briefly at the event.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 13:45   Link #270
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
At the premiere screening event (which I attended), the director and writer explained that they originally wanted to do something based on the original stories, but updated to address modern concerns. They decided to set it in the future (or a future-like setting, anyway), because they wanted to keep the setting in "a period of rapid change" like the meiji era.
Thanks for the info. This seems to be a pretty dubious premise given that the makeup of Japan's current society is nothing like the Meiji society. We see echoes of that in the way that the people (and government) in Un-Go behave differently from modern Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
In Meiji era Japan western technology was fast changing Japanese society and there was a lot of issues with that (some would say the militanism of WWII is a direct cause of a country modernizing too fast).
Japan is sort of unique in the way it modernized - I think that it'd have more to do with the lessons about force and power the country learned from Perry - First Sino-Japanese War - Russo-Japanese War scenarios. These would seem to have little to do with how people would react in a more modern setting.

Then again, this might be just another example of Japan (or anime) = weird political commentary.
Old 2011-11-03, 11:52   Link #271
Sides

I had to laugh when
Spoiler:

I reckon most people saw what was going to happen, nevertheless it was a decent episode. Cannot wait for next week. Make sure to check the preview, which is also funny ^^.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 12:31   Link #272
cuzsal
I watch too much Anime

this show is pretty dam good, thought it might be ok but its really good so far, many shows this season that are good, i cant rember the last season that had as many good shows as this one so far
cuzsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 12:50   Link #273
konart

It feels like watching GitS. Good. Very good.
Old 2011-11-03, 14:44   Link #274
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quite a interesting twist in ep4, didn't expect a few things like

Spoiler for ep4:
Old 2011-11-03, 15:19   Link #275
Sides

Anyone visited the webpage recently? Just noticed that there is a page called Inganikki, featuring some short animation
http://www.un-go.com/10inganikki/index.html

Episode Zero in two weeks time, I wonder if we, outside japan, will get it streamed, retail release, or released at all. It bugs me.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 16:15   Link #276
ookamigirl

So it continues..
Shinjuru sure found an interesting case this time.
That RAI sure knows how to please... ^^" but is a whole lot of trouble!
The whole thing unraveled with a pretty interesting end.
Great episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 16:17   Link #277
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Oh,I loved this episode,now we're in business.
Really looking forward to more now.

Who was the seiyuu voicing kazamori?
Old 2011-11-03, 18:00   Link #278
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Like how Kazamori could transfer wirelessly. Lol at him as the doll trying to pleasure Shinjuru. So Inga has more powers than just being able to find the truth. I had assumed that the father would be alive, but didn't think the doctor was a rai as well. Also didn't guess that the real corpse was a spy. Oh man i wonder if the prostitute got her cellphone working. So more Kazamori next week.
Old 2011-11-03, 18:26   Link #279
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

this anime is getting a lot of twists and a lot of cultural and social critic, also im loving the characters, im quite glad i gave this show a try.
Old 2011-11-03, 20:25   Link #280
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
By the way, does anyone know if this show is 11 or 22 episodes? Because if this is 11, they've really delayed bringing the characters into more detail for too long. Even if it was 22, this is too risky. Bones might have already shot themselves in the foot with a mistake like that. It's no secret that the modern era thrives on character-oriented material. Not developing your primary characters in this time and age - rather fatalistic.
They're making up for this by showing subtle ticks in the characters' personalities and interactions. They're not flat out telling you the characters' stories, but you can infer some things by paying close attention to what they say and how they act (particularly Shinjurou and Kaishou's daughter). I always find this a sign of good direction and scripting when given little time to flesh character's out. Also, I'd argue all the mysteries so far have been character oriented and show how war and technology can effect people's lives. The main cast is simply not the ones being focused on when it comes to that, at least not for now.

Tags
aikawa, bones, mizushima, noitamina