Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for Retcon?:
Noda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 13:57   Link #10523
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcthesecret View Post
I don't loathe all of it, when it's done right, it can work, for example, ranma 1/2, he can change back into a guy whenever splashed with hot water, he just changes when he's splashed with cold water. Now here. I don't like it because it was forced on the kid. He was forced to dress likes girl. He was changed into a girl against his own free will. All of this happened without him having any say in the matter. Do you see where I'm getting at here?
I do. Nothing stopped Cruz from dressing as a guy again. It was just convenient for him not to do so, since it functioned as a running gag and had actual plot use (like getting into the city and lab as a Killer Girl). Plus, he might have protested occasionally, but it was never serious, and for the most part he was shown to not mind dressing as a girl at all. By the end of the story, for all intents and purposes he was pretty much "Yamada, the girl", and not "Cruz, the boy".

Blade making it permanent is both the culmination of the joke, and a completion of that plot element, for now. I'm sure we'll get more gender jokes in Needless 2.

My issue here with how you speak of it, is that you post about it far too seriously. I understand that people can be uncomfortable with gender bending in stories. It's not everyone's "thing". That said, it's just a story, and it's used for (mostly) comic effect. If this was a full blown drama and Cruz depicted as an actual victim cruelly forced into something not of his will, I might sympathize with your anger. But it's a fantasy comic that rarely takes itself seriously, so I just can't see a reason to be angry in this case.

Spoiler for Ann speculation:

We'll see though. I expect some level of retcon, even if the basic points of Needless Zero make it into the sequel.
Old 2013-06-18, 13:59   Link #10524
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noda View Post
Spoiler for Retcon?:
Spoiler for :
Old 2013-06-18, 14:07   Link #10525
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Spoiler for :
Spoiler for .:
Old 2013-06-18, 14:07   Link #10526
Homura7

Spoiler for spoiler:
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 14:12   Link #10527
Xiammes

Spoiler for 114:
Old 2013-06-18, 14:23   Link #10528
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Shiruto View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Even more reason why the others just wouldn't just watch this happen. They would find a way to separate them before that happens.
Old 2013-06-18, 14:25   Link #10529
Noda

Spoiler for color insert:
Noda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 14:42   Link #10530
Homura7

Spoiler for spoiler:

Dang, the anticipation is killing me.

Last edited by Homura7; 2013-06-18 at 14:52.
Old 2013-06-18, 15:11   Link #10531
Kurohane

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:

Dang, the anticipation is killing me.
1.5 is two years, who knows how long before Part II starts? Plus, knowing Imai-san, the beginning chapter is going to be having us ask even more questions. Like, "what on earth happened between Needless I and II?"

Last edited by Kurohane; 2013-06-18 at 15:35.
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 16:04   Link #10532
wcthesecret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I do. Nothing stopped Cruz from dressing as a guy again. It was just convenient for him not to do so, since it functioned as a running gag and had actual plot use (like getting into the city and lab as a Killer Girl). Plus, he might have protested occasionally, but it was never serious, and for the most part he was shown to not mind dressing as a girl at all. By the end of the story, for all intents and purposes he was pretty much "Yamada, the girl", and not "Cruz, the boy".

Blade making it permanent is both the culmination of the joke, and a completion of that plot element, for now. I'm sure we'll get more gender jokes in Needless 2.

My issue here with how you speak of it, is that you post about it far too seriously. I understand that people can be uncomfortable with gender bending in stories. It's not everyone's "thing". That said, it's just a story, and it's used for (mostly) comic effect. If this was a full blown drama and Cruz depicted as an actual victim cruelly forced into something not of his will, I might sympathize with your anger. But it's a fantasy comic that rarely takes itself seriously, so I just can't see a reason to be angry in this case.

Spoiler for Ann speculation:

We'll see though. I expect some level of retcon, even if the basic points of Needless Zero make it into the sequel.
He was forced to by blade and everybody else, he could've dressed as an old man, or something like that. and also, how was he the girl fully, because he was being manly? No, him being manly meant that he was a man, and I'm pissed because this guy helped them throughout this whole entire thing and this is the thanks that they give him, the hell man, the *u**i** hell. And I take it seriously because I really liked this manga, and then that happened. That actually pissed me off when that happened. That, has NEVER HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE!!! I mean, what if the kid ends up like the guy that was forcefully changed into a girl from the movie memory run?
wcthesecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 16:38   Link #10533
Sayo A.
Presumably Pentadactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
^ The colorspread more than makes up for that. Look at Yamada and who's holding her hand....aaaaww! So cute!
Also note who's clinging on to Yamada's other arm. Seems Disk, at least, isn't picky when it comes to gender...

Anyway, it's nice to finally get something right for once.

Spoiler for what I got right, and other stuff:
Old 2013-06-18, 16:42   Link #10534
wcthesecret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayo A. View Post
Also note who's clinging on to Yamada's other arm. Seems Disk, at least, isn't picky when it comes to gender...

Anyway, it's nice to finally get something right for once.

Spoiler for what I got right, and other stuff:
...great, now I gotta kill two people and fix two things whenever I find some way to get into the world of needless.
wcthesecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 19:13   Link #10535
Homura7

I don't know what exactly might have happened during those 2 years before Adam N. returned as a completely different person. Yeah, TOTALLY, Blade's personality is nowhere to be seen during that time.

The biggest mistery in the story remains to be Yamada. Pretty much all the loose ends about her have yet to give an answer.

Spoiler for spoiler:

And a few more I don't remember. Quite a ton of stuff to explain, if you ask me.

Last edited by Homura7; 2013-06-18 at 20:02.
Old 2013-06-18, 21:54   Link #10536
Magia

Quote:
I don't know what exactly might have happened during those 2 years before Adam N. returned as a completely different person. Yeah, TOTALLY, Blade's personality is nowhere to be seen during that time.

The biggest mistery in the story remains to be Yamada. Pretty much all the loose ends about her have yet to give an answer.

Spoiler for spoiler:

And a few more I don't remember. Quite a ton of stuff to explain, if you ask me.
If Kami doesn't make a sequel, then these can be easily be answered.

Spoiler:

I'm not saying I'm right, but these sound like the most logical answers with what we've been left with. If Kami does make a sequel, then hopefully some of the loose ends will be resolved in a tight little bow.
Magia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 22:21   Link #10537
Avvesione

Just checked the UJ website and it doesn't have Needless listed for next month's issue (although the other manga that ended this month gets an epilogue, wish we were getting one, too!) Looks like the only thing in the foreseeable future will be a feature article titled "NEEDLESS History", though I'm not exactly sure what that entails. And the final volume will be out in late September (maybe it'll be coming back around then? Kinda strange that it's out in 3 months compared to the normal 1).

I guess the next best source of news will be Imai Kami's website, should it ever get updated.
Old 2013-06-18, 22:52   Link #10538
Kurohane

Quote:

Spoiler for spoiler:

Spoiler for cruz:

Spoiler for Onda:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avvesione View Post
Just checked the UJ website and it doesn't have Needless listed for next month's issue (although the other manga that ended this month gets an epilogue, wish we were getting one, too!) Looks like the only thing in the foreseeable future will be a feature article titled "NEEDLESS History", though I'm not exactly sure what that entails. And the final volume will be out in late September (maybe it'll be coming back around then? Kinda strange that it's out in 3 months compared to the normal 1).

I guess the next best source of news will be Imai Kami's website, should it ever get updated.
What's the manga getting an epilogue?

Needless History? A new timeline?

Looks like we'll have to wait a bit. Oh well, a good a time as any to go over Part I again now that it's complete.
Old 2013-06-18, 22:53   Link #10539
Kefit

Spoiler:

Looks like Kami ended this in such a way that it can be continued effortlessly, but also so that if need be it can stand on its own if you cross your eyes and hit yourself in the head with a hammer a couple of times. And judging by the fact that Ultra Jump's site has announced v16 as the final volume, and that this requires v16 to be 1.5x the length of a standard tank, I think it's safe to say that Needless isn't continuing in Ultra Jump any time soon.

With any luck Kami still has enough rights to his work to take Needless 2 to another publisher. It definitely feels like he's been unceremoniously booted from Ultra Jump, and it would be a damn shame for him and his fans if he wasn't able to continue and properly finish what has basically become his life's work.

Don't let us down Kami!

Last edited by Kefit; 2013-06-18 at 23:15.
Kefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 23:16   Link #10540
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefit View Post
Spoiler:
I know the feeling all too well.

Quote:
Looks like Kami ended this in such a way that it can be continued effortlessly, but also so that if need be then so it stands on its own if you cross your eyes and hit yourself in the head with a hammer a couple of times. And judging by the fact that Ultra Jump's site has announced v16 as the final volume, and that this requires v16 to be 1.5x the length of a standard tank, I think it's safe to say that Needless isn't continuing in Ultra Jump any time soon.
Well, most anime/ manga end like that, so it's not surprising. Nothing we can do about it.

Tags
action, comedy, seinen