AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-29, 11:30   Link #1
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Working!! [manga]

WORKING!!

a 4-coma manga by TAKATSU Karino-sensei, published by Square Enix (Young GanGan). It has also been adapted into an anime by A1-Pictures...though most people coming here will surely know this already (anime thread).

Spoiler for tankoubon covers:
Spoiler for covers for vol.05-07 (possible spoilers!):

Genre: Seinen, Comedy
Length: 7 volumes and counting

Brief Summary (for those who haven't seen the anime):
Somewhere in Hokkaido lies Wagnaria, a family restaurant staffed by an eccentric bunch of people ranging from a manager who doesn't do any work, to an androphobe and a high-schooler with a height complex. When Takanashi Souta joins as a part-timer, what will become of this strange, cheerful and dangerous mix of individuals?

==========

The airing of the anime seems to have spurred on the speed by which the manga is being released (I suggest googling ), but please remember to use spoilers for anything that isn't in English yet. And with that point covered, feel free to start your orders

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-05-30 at 03:42.
Old 2010-05-29, 11:39   Link #2
Westlo
Lets be reality

Wow, Mahiru dominates the covers. I know she's been the focus of the anime so far but didn't expect that.
Old 2010-05-29, 18:35   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Great job, especially the linkbacks to the anime thread. When I snare the other 3 volume jackets, I'll pm you the covers to edit the First Post with.

Oh and its okay to "spoiler info" for the existing manga in the First Post because that's why we have a separate manga thread.
Just note in the spoiler tag that the covers could be spoilerish....
Old 2010-05-29, 22:54   Link #4
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
In the 4th cover, who is the woman next to Inami? Is it Kyouko? But she seems like a decent human being there...
Old 2010-05-30, 01:08   Link #5
shamanchrno

i think she is otonashi sister nazuna
Old 2010-05-30, 01:47   Link #6
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

That does look like Nazuna, except that she's supposed to be as tall as Souta... but that could be because he's in the background, which makes him look shorter.
Old 2010-05-30, 03:56   Link #7
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

I've edited the first post to add the 3 other covers. (^_^)

@Vexx
thanks for the pointers! and don't worry about the covers. I've...er...borrowed the images from somewhere to upload and share already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Wow, Mahiru dominates the covers. I know she's been the focus of the anime so far but didn't expect that.
Well, she is the person who's doing the most for Takanashi's own development... Hopefully, this will finally put an end to the strange notion that Poplar is the "co-protagonist"!

Yup, that's Nazuna. If there's one thing that the anime is better than the manga at, it's probably the art (since manga can't have voices anyway).

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-05-30, 04:52   Link #8
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
i dun get why those would be spoilers
Old 2010-05-30, 07:32   Link #9
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Ah yeah, I totally forgot about Nazuna, Kyouko is the only one that comes to mind when I saw a dark-haired girl. Thanks for the answers guys. Yeah, it makes sense to see Nazuna smiling, as neither in the manga nor anime have I ever remembered seeing Kyouko smile (and half the time, her mouth is covered by the food she's munching on anyway).
Old 2010-05-30, 08:01   Link #10
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
It's just a warning just in case people who don't like spoilers are fantastic at picking them out from mere images without even being prompted. Since you're fine with checking them out, that warning obviously doesn't apply to you.

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-06-02, 02:42   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... they shipped my copies but I used the "cheap cargo" method, so it may be a few weeks before they arrive.

Quote:
Only spoilers for the anime watchers... manga readers just have to deal with existing releases but separating them out like that was a nice idea.

Quote:
Hopefully, this will finally put an end to the strange notion that Poplar is the "co-protagonist"!
Seriously, I do not see how one can watch the first two episodes of the animation and NOT get that it is the bond between Inami and Takanashi that the author is exploring (for the short term at least). Of course, he's also exploring 3 or 4 other dotted lines and collisions as well
Old 2010-06-02, 04:50   Link #12
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... they shipped my copies but I used the "cheap cargo" method, so it may be a few weeks before they arrive.
Can't wait 'til you get them Should be good timing too, as the anime will be finished...if only I can hold of on spoiling myself!

Quote:
Only spoilers for the anime watchers...
un...and thus spoilers for those who can only follow the English releases for the manga as well. Though I suppose I could have put the 5th volume cover under the first tab...

Quote:
Seriously, I do not see how one can watch the first two episodes of the animation and NOT get that it is the bond between Inami and Takanashi that the author is exploring (for the short term at least).
Maybe some people still subscribe to the silly notion that "the first girl/guy the main character meets is the one"? (At least, it seemed to be common in shoujo manga back when I was a much wider reader...)

Ah, and the author's a "she"...

Since episode 9's out though, I have a question about a related omake: unlike the anime, which had a labeled cut scene saying how everyone contributed to "producing Kotori-chan", the manga had this:
Spoiler for pic and translation:
Er...any ideas on why he needed medicine for his stomach?

- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-06-02 at 05:53.
Old 2010-06-02, 13:37   Link #13
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Maybe because he's literally sick having forced to crossdress?
Old 2010-06-02, 16:21   Link #14
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

His reaction to cross-dressing is that bad...?

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-06-02, 17:01   Link #15
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
His reaction to cross-dressing is that bad...?
In the anime at least, in one of the earlier episodes Poplar notes to herself that Katanashi seems to hate older women. Along with the crossdressing, there's also the fact that he looks like one of his sisters now. So, he's forced to be the very thing he hates the most.
Old 2010-06-02, 18:36   Link #16
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
In the anime at least, in one of the earlier episodes Poplar notes to herself that Katanashi seems to hate older women. Along with the crossdressing, there's also the fact that he looks like one of his sisters now. So, he's forced to be the very thing he hates the most.
I'll have to add that this makes him a stand up guy, to go that far for a workmate says alot.
and it's not some cheesy gesture or something rather stupid behind it all.

off to the watch ep 9 again
Old 2010-06-04, 13:18   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

When I last looked around, couldn't find anyone actively scanlating this series, and discussing released manga is okay whether in Japanese or English (e.g. look at the Negima manga thread which focuses on the latest Japanese chapter, several volumes ahead of the Del Rey english releases).

A surprise to me: my copies of the existing 7 volumes arrived today (fast for SAL, o.O).

Quick flipthrough ... the art is.. unusual and takes a bit of getting used to. It kind of looks "shoujo art done with shounen brushwork". Yeah, I would have guessed the author was female just from the art and the situations.

First note, there's a LOT of in-between stuff that could easily be used in a second season of anime. Here's hoping that the anime gets a second season green light. Second note, it'll take me a while to plow through a few volumes so anime watchers who fear spoilage but can't keep their eyes out of this thread are unnecessarily safe for now.

As for Takanashi's stomach.... its upset him so much he feels nauseated, hence the TUMs (or whatever he was given).
Old 2010-06-05, 02:20   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Not meant as a double post... I think I just realized flipping around that the author is doing something in her manga somewhat like Fred Gallagher does in his Megatokyo saga: just as an exciting moment happens or a revelation might occur, the next comic cuts the scene to another plot thread. Guaranteed mechanism to drive readers bananas ("aieeee, what happens!!!!!?? Go back!!!").
Old 2010-06-05, 19:58   Link #19
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

A group's been working on this series since the anime started. It seems like they're trying hard to catch up - they're more than halfway through volume 2 now.

Re: Takanashi
I really thought he was over that...at least, to the extent of not feeling nauseous. Guess not...

And news from Young GanGan: fans should look forward to a big announcement in the next issue, which will go on sale on the 18th of this month. Speculation is ranging from a new drama CD (anime cast) to character songs, and, of course, what will make us happiest, confirmation of a 2nd season...

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-06-18, 05:45   Link #20
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

m(_ _ )m for the DP...

but since it's the 18th...

From Twitter:
The big, must-see announcement was that, on July 25th, the 8th volume of WORKING!! will go on sale, along with
Spoiler for teheh...:

- Patrick Stokes

Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, seinen