AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-10, 02:40   Link #81
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Actually, Mike and Brian said they had pretty much zero influence over what Shamalyan did, content-wise. He wasn't especially interested in their input.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 03:51   Link #82
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Actually, Mike and Brian said they had pretty much zero influence over what Shamalyan did, content-wise. He wasn't especially interested in their input.
Weird cause what shamlan did and what they are doing now seems so similar maybe this was just what Avatar was eventually meant to be. Of course I love the idea.
Old 2011-08-10, 09:22   Link #83
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
Weird cause what shamlan did and what they are doing now seems so similar maybe this was just what Avatar was eventually meant to be. Of course I love the idea.
How exactly do they (the live action film and this new show) seem similar? Unless you're saying that LoK is also going to be plagued with bad acting and pacing, this doesn't look that much darker/edgier (this is still Nick after all, plus I thought the blood-bending was plenty dark and the fact that the premise of the original show involved genocide) and the movie wasn't darker and edgier either from what I've heard.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 09:58   Link #84
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
I don't see how they're similar at all, unless you mean the title, but that's because they don't bother going into a law suit with James Cameron.

I'm mighty pissed at the Last Airbender movie because now when I mention it around people who have no idea what the cartoon is they'll tell me how crappy the movie was, then when I say no it's based on the cartoon called Avatar, then they go "oh the movie with the blue people?"....christ almighty...

It's a shame too since I feel like Avatar the title fits with the cartoon a lot more than Cameron's movies...and the story could actually have worked as a great movie if they filmed it all at once like lord of the rings and don't fuck up the casting and get a more competent director. TOO LATE.

Now I just hope 10 or 20 years later when technology improves a lot more, we can have a super HBO series for Avatar like Game of Thrones.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 17:52   Link #85
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
I don't see how they're similar at all, unless you mean the title, but that's because they don't bother going into a law suit with James Cameron.

I'm mighty pissed at the Last Airbender movie because now when I mention it around people who have no idea what the cartoon is they'll tell me how crappy the movie was, then when I say no it's based on the cartoon called Avatar, then they go "oh the movie with the blue people?"....christ almighty...

It's a shame too since I feel like Avatar the title fits with the cartoon a lot more than Cameron's movies...and the story could actually have worked as a great movie if they filmed it all at once like lord of the rings and don't fuck up the casting and get a more competent director. TOO LATE.

Now I just hope 10 or 20 years later when technology improves a lot more, we can have a super HBO series for Avatar like Game of Thrones.
Do u know what the series is "legend of Korra was going to be around. The movie and this new series seem to have a more serious story to it. Similar to what the movie depicted. The original creators even said this in a interview. The movie itself may have not mattered to the original creators but it doesn't change the fact that they did give M. Night some ideas and help when making the movie I am sure although we haven't head it was making the story more serious so it can be viewed differently.
After all I think M. Night was going for a good adaption over a good movie to appeal to us fans, and if u look at it that way the movie was pretty good, but it would be nice if they added in Avatar: The Last Air bender instead.
Old 2011-08-13, 21:27   Link #86
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post

It's a children's title. In 5 years if they can't keep it alive with a new cartoon, movie, video game or comics release, the franchise will prob be dead. People will move on to the next children's title.
Old 2011-08-14, 00:09   Link #87
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

I wonder if katara taught Korra some waterbending? I mean, Korra did live in the south pole...
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 01:09   Link #88
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
I wonder if katara taught Korra some waterbending? I mean, Korra did live in the south pole...
If Katara is even still alive, she might be too old to be capable of that. Unless she's suffering from magical "old people who've stayed in shape their whole lives are almost as fit as the youngins cuz this is a cartoon and we can do w/e we want!" syndrome. Plus, I doubt Katara would've returned to her home region to sit and rot for the rest of her days just because Aang died. But then again, what do I know? We'll see eventually.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 12:01   Link #89
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
If Katara is even still alive, she might be too old to be capable of that. Unless she's suffering from magical "old people who've stayed in shape their whole lives are almost as fit as the youngins cuz this is a cartoon and we can do w/e we want!" syndrome. Plus, I doubt Katara would've returned to her home region to sit and rot for the rest of her days just because Aang died. But then again, what do I know? We'll see eventually.
Also, the Northern tribe had more waterbenders.
Old 2011-08-16, 02:12   Link #90
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Do u know what the series is "legend of Korra was going to be around. The movie and this new series seem to have a more serious story to it. Similar to what the movie depicted. The original creators even said this in a interview. The movie itself may have not mattered to the original creators but it doesn't change the fact that they did give M. Night some ideas and help when making the movie I am sure although we haven't head it was making the story more serious so it can be viewed differently.
After all I think M. Night was going for a good adaption over a good movie to appeal to us fans, and if u look at it that way the movie was pretty good, but it would be nice if they added in Avatar: The Last Air bender instead.
The movie's story is the same as the first season of the first series. I don't know what you're talking about.

Legend of Korra is set 70 years later in a 1920-shanghai-like city called Republic City founded by Zuko and Aang. Korra is the new Avatar, which means everyone we know are probably dead. She mastered all elements except Air and she's here to learn it from Aang's only airbender child. The creators said the story is going to revolve around a different type of conflict as opposed to the one in the film, I'm going to guess some kind of crime/terrorist/revolution related thing since it's about anti-bending instead of war.

There's nothing there that is similar to the movie. Not in plot nor style.

They did say they were going for a more mature and darker mood but that's because the people who originally watched Avatar are growing up. M Night's movie might've went for a darker more serious tone too but that does not mean they're similar AT ALL. You can relate almost any thing together if you do that. M Night wasn't true to Avatar at all, he made little fuck-you changes that are just enough to throw us off and not enough to make it it's own thing. Changing an entire chinese culture based nation into indians (when clearly water tribes are the one with darker skin, heck I know they're eskimos but come on). Changing firebending so that you can't make your own fire unless you're as disciplined as Iroh. Not to mention how distasteful the bending is portrayed. Bending in Avatar is almost like an art, it's so creative and so well done but in the movie it just looks like stupid people throwing water balloons and dirt at each other.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 10:33   Link #91
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
I am sure although we haven't head it was making the story more serious so it can be viewed differently.
Except... the movie really didn't feel all that serious at all, compared to the original series. If it was trying for a darker, more serious tone compared to the show, I certainly wasn't feeling it.
Old 2011-08-19, 18:06   Link #92
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

I didn't think there would be a thread for this here.
Even though it is a few weeks late, let me say the trailer really hyped me for Legend of Korra.
I can't wait to see what the world of avatar is like now. I also hope we get to see who Sokka's children are.
2012 can't come soon enough for me.
Old 2011-08-19, 20:36   Link #93
Xagzan

At least we know who Toph's kid is. And she looks like an awesome badass.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 23:48   Link #94
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I actually hadn't heard about this so the trailer was a nice surprise. Hopefully can get as much into this series as I did into the original.
Old 2011-08-20, 00:45   Link #95
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
At least we know who Toph's kid is. And she looks like an awesome badass.
Awww, and I thought she would look hawt, like this:

Spoiler for pic:

but, she's kinda on the old side. I am disappoint =0<.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 12:00   Link #96
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
I didn't think there would be a thread for this here.
Even though it is a few weeks late, let me say the trailer really hyped me for Legend of Korra.
I can't wait to see what the world of avatar is like now. I also hope we get to see who Sokka's children are.
2012 can't come soon enough for me.
Same here, didn't realize there was a thread already for this. Saw the trailer back when it came out and was hyped immediately as I was watching it, can't freaking wait.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 17:07   Link #97
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

This is not an anime series, right?
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 18:01   Link #98
yellowscarves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddler Naruto View Post
No, it's not.
yellowscarves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 18:33   Link #99
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddler Naruto View Post
It isn't anime in the least. Avatar is produced by Americans and animated in Korea. Nothing to do with Japan, thus not fitting the English definition for anime.

Frankly, I wish this thread would be moved to the General Chat subforum. The Thundercats thread is there, and at least Thundercats has an excuse to be labelled as an anime since it's animated by Studio 4°C, a Japanese studio. Just because Avatar is anime-inspired and based on Eastern themes doesn't make it more of an anime than Thundercats.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 20:51   Link #100
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
It isn't anime in the least. Avatar is produced by Americans and animated in Korea. Nothing to do with Japan, thus not fitting the English definition for anime.

Frankly, I wish this thread would be moved to the General Chat subforum. The Thundercats thread is there, and at least Thundercats has an excuse to be labelled as an anime since it's animated by Studio 4°C, a Japanese studio. Just because Avatar is anime-inspired and based on Eastern themes doesn't make it more of an anime than Thundercats.
That would be the kiss of death for the thread. Nobody would be able to find it over there.

Besides we just went through Ironman, Wolverine and X-Men anime.(I'm trying to forget that Blade existed.) I think the line is blurred so much now it prob doesn't make that much of a difference.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra