AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-14, 15:05   Link #1
MasafumiGotoh

Windows loopholes once more

Actually it was last night for me. Windows has found some more(for techies out there you know this isnt the first time this year) loop holes in thier security. I stress the fact you people as the majority would listen, to go to windows update site for more info. This affects everyone with a Windows Os installed on thier computer. I dont know about 95 and 98 and 2000 and NT. But for Windows XP home and Pro and probaly Windows 2003 server edition.

Most recommended for people that:

Use the broadband interent without any kind of protection from the outside(firewall, router etc etc)

Least recommeneded for people that have 56k modems where there ip changes when they sign off thier broswer.

Without even using my brain I can conclude that 90% of those that use BT have broadband. Thus this update is needed.

I on the other hand saw windows auto update itself. So If anyone switched it off. Go to the windows update page. I am also protected with a Hardware firewall and Winxp firewall. And if i ever get attacked i will pull Zonealarm to protect me to top it off. But anything is possible. A highly skilled hacker can penetrate any defence for that matter. So update people! Its for the good of the people.

I do dispise Microsoft. They are dumb. I wished my name was Mike Rowe so i can get sued and reach a settlement where I get a new website and a free xbox.
MasafumiGotoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 15:07   Link #2
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Linux, looking better every day
Old 2004-04-14, 15:13   Link #3
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Linux, looking better every day
Agreed I'm glad I don't have to worry about security loopholes, backdoors, trojans, and other forms of electronic evil :fingers:
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 15:15   Link #4
MasafumiGotoh

Actually Macs are looking better everyday. They only found one loophole since the past 3 years. And some guy made a Trojan to exploit that loophole but i think its fixed now.

Linux on the other hand is way too much of my brain capacity. I already have too much I have to remember.

Edit
Also all these new viruses dont even affect the mac lol. I love that. Netsky ABCDEF...... can burn in hell!
Old 2004-04-14, 15:26   Link #5
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I'd like to see all the the aholes who find these exploits rounded up and shot.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 15:35   Link #6
MasafumiGotoh

Seriously? I would like to see Microsoft shot as well.

But this world is all about politics, law and order and money. Microsoft would use thier money to bribe politicians to change the laws thus making the FBI and cops and stuff find us ,arrest us, and torture us with citric acid in the eye!

Edit
If you didnt get the joke, it was Microsoft who found thier own mistake.
Old 2004-04-14, 19:43   Link #7
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
I'd like to see all the the aholes who find these exploits rounded up and shot.
Uh... so you'd rather some unscrupulous person find the exploit and not announce it and proceed to hack into everyone's computer? I personally don't find people who publish vulnerabilities doing anything wrong. Now, a better idea would be to inform the software company, but if they don't respond, you might as well post it (without a working attack code if possible).
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 20:00   Link #8
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Oh no, I'm just talking about the people that look for them for the sole reason of hacking. I'm just saying if noone looked for these damn exploits it wouldn't even be a problem. There is always that one jackass who wants to find an exploit and use it to mess something up.
Old 2004-04-14, 20:09   Link #9
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Oh no, I'm just talking about the people that look for them for the sole reason of hacking. I'm just saying if noone looked for these damn exploits it wouldn't even be a problem.
I think President Bush said something like that about terrorism.
Old 2004-04-14, 20:29   Link #10
Biohazard
-kanashii~desu-

Send a message via ICQ to Biohazard Send a message via MSN to Biohazard
There shouldn't be any exploits in the first place...
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 20:33   Link #11
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Well this sounds childish, but I feel the same about terrorists as well. I would not mind seeing them all rounded up and shot. However I do realize that it is impossible to round up all the hackers and terrorists and do a mass execution. In my eyes a computer hacker is so low that if by some mean he died I would feel no empathy towards him.

Don't mean to get offtopic, but I am in no way supporting Bush's campaign. What he is doing is far from what I call clensing earth of terrorist activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard
There shouldn't be any exploits in the first place...
Too good to be true ^. All you linux people, do you actually think that your OS is perfect?
Old 2004-04-14, 20:43   Link #12
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNarutoFanxX
Actually Macs are looking better everyday. They only found one loophole since the past 3 years. And some guy made a Trojan to exploit that loophole but i think its fixed now.

Linux on the other hand is way too much of my brain capacity. I already have too much I have to remember.

Edit
Also all these new viruses dont even affect the mac lol. I love that. Netsky ABCDEF...... can burn in hell!
Yes, Mac is the only decent alternative. Linux is an utter pain in the ass to use
Now if Macs only wouldn't be so fricken expensive...
I'm sure with a Mac at PC prices, Macs would already be a great deal more popular.
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 14:05   Link #13
OtakuGURU

hey dont fault bill for making the smart decision to patent his operating system and not a whole COMPUTER, unlike apple which has a patent on the whole computer, there are no outside manufactueres for apple...ALL hardware and software is made by apple for apple, i mean who here can build a MAC.....uh no one... unless your a licensed apple tech and can buy parts from apple,.....because they dont have any outside commpanies making hardware and software they ultimatly lack 1 thing competition, and we all know that competition is the mother of innovation, and that innovation is why Windows is so highly used and not mac. if the shoe was on the other foot and apple didnt licemse the computer but only the OS then they would have a wider range of users...if you pit the fastest Mac OSX against the Fastest ITANIUM based IBM.... the ITANIUM kicks its ass in speed and overall multimedia... apples are best at one thing and that is graphics, but overall IBM has a MUCH wider range of practical uses..... now that said they are both good computers but i would only use a mac if i had a joob in graphics design......F Y I.....Pixar studios was founded by the FOUNDER of APPLE..... after he was fired from apple he started up Pixar with his new OS 9 system and made lots of bucks, then apple wanted him back on board and soon after came up with the OSX,
OtakuGURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 00:57   Link #14
Shift_

Hmm putting more firewalls ontop of other firewalls...that's just asking for trouble if you ask me.

I have one firewall, it's a smoothwall, it works great.

People who think they require more than one good firewall shouldn't be on the internet. That's just paranoia. Why would a hacker of that level hack into YOUR system? The majority of the people getting "hacked" are really just being attacked by script kiddies. That's all. Real hackers wouldn't bother with home PCs, what? They want my homework, mp3/anime games and such?
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 02:19   Link #15
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNarutoFanxX

I do dispise Microsoft. They are dumb. I wished my name was Mike Rowe so i can get sued and reach a settlement where I get a new website and a free xbox.
You know what's also dumb? People that feel the need to bitch about MS every 5 secconds. You don't like them good for you. What do you do about it Don't buy their stuff. OMG that must be HARD I mean not buy their stuff if you don't like them. I know it's radicle and might be hard but IT could work.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 02:36   Link #16
Vividd

Send a message via ICQ to Vividd Send a message via AIM to Vividd Send a message via MSN to Vividd Send a message via Yahoo to Vividd
Quote:
All you linux people, do you actually think that your OS is perfect?
Not at all.

In fact, NO OS is perfectly safe from exploits et al.
Security vulnerabilities appear in every OS, Linux aswell, it's just that Linux in itself takes security much higher than MS, and the cycle of search vuln -> find -> fix goes much faster on avarage.

Comparing a default setup of Windows NT/2k/XP with a default setup of your generic Linux distro, Linux is geared to be much more safer. Windows can be set up to be much more secure, but don't be surprised if you encounter some annoying problems on the way (i.e. most apps require you to be full admin to even be able to use them).

However, I'm not saying Linux is entirely safe, security vulnerabilites do appear in Linux as they do in every OS, and if the user doesn't take action to at all keep the system up to date or do some generic safety measurments (firewall, etc.) this could become just a serious a threat as on windows... well, almost. Since Windows still has dominance in the desktop market it gets targeted much easier. But Linux (along with *BSD) has much more a dominance in the server market, so it would be a serious threat there.
Vividd is offline   Reply With Quote