AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-07, 22:45   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi)

Genre: Comedy, Action, and a light touch of Ecchi!

Expected Release Date: October 8, 2006

Well, have seen the first episode. This is what we call a pure shounen series since everything from drama to comedy to action to that light touch of fanservice are all auditioned toward the audience of the shounen genre. Only two girls were seen in the episode and both of them are well endowed, plus, one of them has fishnets for undergarments for her upper region. The hero is funny because he is pathetic, but the show is also titled as History`s Strongest Disciple Kenichi, so we know the pathetic part is short-lived since he is bound to be the strongest sooner or later. One just has to be a fan of shounen series to have any inclination toward this series. I enjoyed the first episode since I can appreciate shounen cheese! Yes, the show is cheesy.

Screencaps for Episode 1:

The last row of screencaps is taken as such so it can be misleading.

The synopsis in the following is taken from animenfo:
Shirahama Kenichi is awalys bullied by the classmates. One day, he sets out his mind to become strong, following an advice of a beautiful girl, Furinji Miu, he goes to a martial arts school. However, it was a tremendously hard school where the strongest martial arts masters teach...

Last edited by monir; 2006-10-07 at 22:56.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 22:56   Link #2
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Read the manga, thoroughly enjoyed it. But if they plan to follow that route, 'a bit' of fanservice won't really be an accurate description. I guess I'll just have to watch the first one for myself and reserve judgement for later when a few more episodes have aired. It also depends on the VAs, perhaps, on whether they seem to make Keniichi's character as what he's supposed to be.

Quote:
but the show is also titled as History`s Strongest Disciple Kenichi, so we know he is bound to be the strongest fighter.
Just a minor spoiler...He has a LOONG way to go before he reaches that.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 22:59   Link #3
Srin Tuar
無謀

The first episode was so/so.

I'm not really a fan of either super human girls nor super wussy guys, and this show has both.

Strangely, I'll probably follow it anyway

At least the guy wants to get stronger in thory

Spoiler for ep1:
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 23:06   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
Read the manga, thoroughly enjoyed it. But if they plan to follow that route, 'a bit' of fanservice won't really be an accurate description.
I've a feeling the fanservice will be toned down because of the target audience, which is more than likely, are shounen fans. TV Tokyo is broadcasting the show after all. Also, the air time (which I don't know) for this show may also play a major role toward how ecchi this series is going to be. If the show is airing in the early evening or late night, then we will see ample amount of fanservice. Otherwise, only time we will see some ecchi when it becomes necessary to attract the audience by fanservice because the general content of the show is boring and/or the animation does become really bad. Considering from the first episode, I don't see the show will have much of good animation.

Quote:
Just a minor spoiler...He has a LOONG way to go before he reaches that.
Is that so? Good, because according to the preview the heroine will let him touch her boobs if he can. Of course, the training method is designed as such to motivate our hero to stick with Karate. As far as I could tell from the preview I think our hero will still come short of touching since, as you have said, he has a LOOONG way to go before he is even worthy enough to lay his hand on the divine flesh?
Old 2006-10-07, 23:12   Link #5
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Also, the air time (which I don't know) for this show may also play a major role toward how ecchi this series is going to be.
テレビ東京: 10月7日より 毎週土曜 深夜0:55~1:25
テレビ大阪: 10月7日より 毎週土曜 深夜1:30~2:00
BS ジャパン: 10月8日より 毎週日曜 深夜0:30~1:00
TVQ九州放送: 10月9日より 毎週月曜 深夜2:23~2:53
テレビせとうち: 10月10日より 毎週火曜 深夜1:43~2:13
テレビ北海道: 10月11日より 毎週水曜 深夜2:30~3:00
テレビ愛知: 10月11日より 毎週水曜 深夜1:58~2:28 

Hrm, I doubt there will be too much service, despite the airtime. But not adverse to being surprised.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 00:41   Link #6
evil-samurai

The first episode followed the manga roughly.... I'm not sure how it will turn out but the anime was ok. The manga blows the anime out of the water and I cant see the anime being better then the manga, but still I'll watch it for now.. =)

Though.. since the anime will most likely catch up to manga (english scanlations), I might be Droping the show ^^;
Spoiler for episode 1 +manga thoughts:
The first episode was alright. Animation-wise not the best but there were a few neat movments. Some of the comedy was nice! like Kenichi's reaction to one of Shigure stars flying towards his head I hope a Group picks up the show, I'm really interested in how they are going to handel the script here.

Oh! and some of the comic Strips in the back of the manga are Hilarious might have to post some.

@ monir Ah! I see you like the small cute pic of karada, Cool! =)
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 00:58   Link #7
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-samurai View Post
I dont remember him going Wow! with open eyes looking at Shigure (the female ninja) like that.
He says "WOW" and "AAAH's" more than once to the point where his epiglottis (that small tongue-like thing in the back of one's mouth) is clearly visible. And if you look hard enough, you can actually see the epiglottis is also making a face like >.< !

Quote:
@ monir Ah! I see you like the small cute pic of karada, Cool! =)
I would like to say arigatou for that as soon as I'm allowed. Beside, I think I could attract a few more fans to Asatte no Houkou by parading the cutesy pie in that avy.
Old 2006-10-08, 01:12   Link #8
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
He says "WOW" and "AAAH's" more than once to the point where his epiglottis (that small tongue-like thing in the back of one's mouth) is clearly visible. And if you look hard enough, you can actually see the epiglottis is also making a face like >.< !

That's exactly the trademark expression of the characters (well, mostly Kenichi ). Hopefully we'll get to see the one where his spirit flies out of his body through his mouth as well.

@ evil-samurai: While the anime would probably catch up with the english scanlations, the current manga series is up to volume 21, but it depends on which variation of the manga they are following for the anime. There are two variations, by the way, and I haven't watched any of the anime to determine how and what would happen later.

@ monir: Yup, that's right, though I haven't seen the preview, but I'm saying this from a manga reader's POV.
Old 2006-10-08, 01:39   Link #9
evil-samurai

Quote:
I would like to say arigatou for that as soon as I'm allowed. Beside, I think I could attract a few more fans to Asatte no Houkou by parading the cutesy pie in that avy.
Your always welcome to snag any avy that I throw together =) & there is no doubt that will attract people and good thing too because more-attention more times then most means that subbs come out faster, Yay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
While the anime would probably catch up with the english scanlations, the current manga series is up to volume 21, but it depends on which variation of the manga they are following for the anime. There are two variations, by the way, and I haven't watched any of the anime to determine how and what would happen later.
I knew there were 21 Volume of the manga, but I'd never heard that there were Two variations, Interesting.. =)

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-10-08 at 02:21.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 12:44   Link #10
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ooh another martial arts series similar in terms of how weak the male lead is to Sumomomo nevertheless this looks interesting...
wht really shined in this ep was the 2nd half near the end...its like "meet the whole family of crazy super human beings"
i like fighting so maybe ill follow this series depending if they keep the story up ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 19:28   Link #11
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

I thought this one was really good and funny. Can't wait till a sub comes out.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 07:29   Link #12
kari-no-sugata

With regards to Kenichi getting stronger, in the more recent manga he's sure come along way since the start (though he improves pretty steadily). See the "spoiler" image for Kenichi in his rather cool custom dougi.

Spoiler for cover of vol 20 of the manga:

I hope the anime turns out as well as the manga (which starts kinda slow but develops very nicely).
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 10:37   Link #13
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Finally got my hands on the RAW...I have to say it was somewhat better than I thought it would be, seeing that humor seems very much to be the main theme currently. I could do without the special sound effects inserted in certain 'fighting' sequences, though.

It seemed as though the anime won't be devoting itself to following the manga storyline completely, but its close enough. Wonder if any group's willing to fansub this, especially since it's relatively unknown thus far...
Old 2006-10-14, 15:06   Link #14
kari-no-sugata

Just watched ep 2. Well, Kenichi's first fight is complete.

Of course, he's got another one next week...
Old 2006-10-14, 15:30   Link #15
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Did it say the next fight is against the head of the Karate club? If yes, then why? I wish someone would pick it up for subbing! The show has way too much dialogue that exceeds far above my level of comprehension of the Japanese language.

On an entirely offtopic note where I most probably won't make sense, Mushishi and C&D shook their hands in celebration of episode 26. Cease & Desist!
Old 2006-10-14, 16:22   Link #16
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Did it say the next fight is against the head of the Karate club? If yes, then why? I wish someone would pick it up for subbing! The show has way too much dialogue that exceeds far above my level of comprehension of the Japanese language.
I dunno what you picked up but:
Spoiler:

Some groups have scanlated the early parts of the manga, and though the anime has skipped things, it's still mostly the same.
Old 2006-10-14, 16:46   Link #17
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
I dunno what you picked up but:
Spoiler:
Thank you very much! You explained exactly what I wanted to know. The fight itself was pretty neat. No exaggeration. Simple technique and endurance gave him the win. I would have been really disappointed if he overpowered that guy. It was funny when that guy resumes his screaming as he regained consciousness after he had observed a moment of pause because he fainted.
Old 2006-10-14, 19:12   Link #18
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

History's Strongest... Huh? :x

Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 22:57   Link #19
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
History's Strongest... Huh? :x

Fanart already? And I thought this one wasn't so-called popular enough to warrant a little of that attention from people...

The pace is coming along nicely, if I may say. I have no idea how many episodes there are though, and perhaps it would be better just to simply refer from the manga on the content, not the storyline.
Old 2006-10-15, 07:08   Link #20
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ well its certainaly not popular enough yet for anyone to sub this
ep2 was fun emphisising a turning point in kenichi life...that big guy got wht he deserved and its revealed that kenichi...
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action