AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-09-18, 15:12   Link #12061
besieger
Fabulous Shadowy Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm going to Anime Evolution in Vancouver next summer, so I'll look into that.
It SUCKED this year. Absolutely NOTHING is there.
besieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 17:23   Link #12062
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
"Come! Join with me and let us rebuild the world in our image together!"
I like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Where do I fit into this pretty picture? : <

And the phrase should be,

"Normal humans don't interest me at all! If anybody here is a time traveller, an alien, or an esper, then come - join me! Help me shape... the world! That is all."

I hate using the word 'esper' - 'psychic' is a much better word - but you Yanks all use it, so I'll bow to your will on this matter. I'll still think 'psychic' though.

And remember, Discreet - somebody else is editing you. *wink*
Aren't you still too busy with school? Also, yours isn't bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceon View Post
Well, while I do agree that psychic may be a better word. . .it really doesn't apply to this case since. . .

Well, actually, Koizumi isn't REALLY an Esper by any definitions of the word. . .then again he/she could be since he/she always responds to Kyon's supposed thoughts. . .but I never could figure out if it was just a case of Unreliable Narrator or not. . .
Kyon is actually saying those things... he just forgets to put quotations around most of his sentences.

Koizumi isn't a psychic by any definition of the word, either... I think that "esper" fits a lot better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, "slider" came from the show "Sliders", which was about traveling between realities.

EDIT: Also, I just realized another possible voice actress for Itsuko (checked to see if she was included in some previous lists of potential voice actors, but didn't spot her name): Sayaka Ohara.

In particular, the voice she used for Hatsune Arisaka (from Tonagura!) is almost exactly how I would think Itsuko would sound. The voice is similar to Kikuko Inoue's voice, but it's different enough to work as an alternate possibility (in my opinion, at least).
Wait, wait, you want Milly Ashford as Itsuko...?

AWESOME.

And yes, the term "sliders" comes from the TV show. The manga translators used "off-worlders", which doesn't have QUITE the same ring to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
What's wrong with Haruhi's original line? Oh well, I'm game:

"If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders or espers; heed my call, join me. The power of Haruki compels you! Alae iacta est! Vedi veni vici!"

Esper is the english loanword for psychic to the japanese, along with other words like "skinship"; that the english speaking world doesn't actually use. Watch the introduction narration of the last episode in the broadcast order, where Kyon refers to Koizumi and the organization as "shounen esper sentai"
Which is the only time they're referred to as "espers" in the whole show. The actual translation is "those who were given paranormal abilities" most of the time.

I have no idea what "isakajin", which is the actual word for "sliders", means...

For that matter, if we were actually directly translating "chuujin" and "miraijin", we'd end up with "space person" and "future men", so why not just accept "esper"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by besieger View Post
It SUCKED this year. Absolutely NOTHING is there.
Maybe it'll be better next year.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 17:40   Link #12063
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I have no idea what "isakajin", which is the actual word for "sliders", means...
Are you sure it isn't "besekaijin" which would mean "another-world person"? I've run "isakajin" through two different dictionaries in all the variations I could think of and got nothing.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 17:57   Link #12064
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Are you sure it isn't "besekaijin" which would mean "another-world person"? I've run "isakajin" through two different dictionaries in all the variations I could think of and got nothing.
I dun know Japanese.

That's probably it then. Yes, that is what it means.

So yeah, point is made. We use our terms because the original japanese sounds stupid in english.
Old 2008-09-18, 18:31   Link #12065
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
The word I believe Haruhi uses is "chounoryokusha" (I could be romanizing it incorrectly), which translates into "super ability user". In Japanese pop culture, this is synonymous with the loanword "ESPer" (or "esper" or however you want to capitalize it).

When the US promo videos for the R1 MoHS release first came out, they used the word "psychic". By the second video, they were using "ESPer", apparently due to fan feedback. I mention this to (neutrally) point out that some people seem to feel strongly about this.

I forgot what word Haruhi uses for "sliders", but I think it's probably "besekaijin" (again, possibly incorrect romanization), judging from my (Japanese) copy of that Newtype special from way back when. Translates to "different world person", and since "people from another world/dimension" is unwieldy, I can't think of anything better than "slider".
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 18:34   Link #12066
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
The word I believe Haruhi uses is "chounoryokusha" (I could be romanizing it incorrectly), which translates into "super ability user". In Japanese pop culture, this is synonymous with the loanword "ESPer" (or "esper" or however you want to capitalize it).

When the US promo videos for the R1 MoHS release first came out, they used the word "psychic". By the second video, they were using "ESPer", apparently due to fan feedback. I mention this to (neutrally) point out that some people seem to feel strongly about this.

I forgot what word Haruhi uses for "sliders", but I think it's probably "besekaijin" (again, possibly incorrect romanization), judging from my (Japanese) copy of that Newtype special from way back when. Translates to "different world person", and since "people from another world/dimension" is unwieldy, I can't think of anything better than "slider".
Thank you very much.

I also notice the dub didn't even touch the "slider" issue, probably due to copyright infringement. Wonder how the novels will handle this, given the (possible) importance of sliders later.
Old 2008-09-18, 18:43   Link #12067
DannyCat
Currently Observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post

異 is い, so 異世界人 is "isekaijin".
DannyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 18:45   Link #12068
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyCat View Post
I was right? AWESOME.
Old 2008-09-18, 18:47   Link #12069
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I stand (well, sit) corrected. Should have looked it up in the dictionary.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 21:42   Link #12070
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
I would also like to point out that anime fandom has been using "esper" for a long time. Earliest that I could think of is Kimagure Orange Road.

Other possible translations;

"Chounoryoukusha" - Supermen, metahumans? (with regards to DC comics)

"Isekaijin" - Otherworlder?
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 01:02   Link #12071
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyCat View Post
Lousy unreliable electronic dictionary... It has 異 in the kanji dictionary, but won't actually let it come up anywhere else.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 03:00   Link #12072
Jintor

Of course if I had my way it'd be "Psychonaut", not Esper, so naff.

"Psychic Soldiers! Paranormal Paratroopers! MENTAL MARINES ABOUT TO SHIP OUT ON THE ADVENTURE OF THEIR LIFETIMES!"
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 03:13   Link #12073
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Of course if I had my way it'd be "Psychonaut", not Esper
Well if we're going to play that game, I'd rather see "Planeswalker" than "Slider"
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 03:40   Link #12074
Jintor

I don't see MTG coexisting with Haruhi at all. Whereas I would love to see Suzumiya viewed through a Tim Schafer lense.

It would be WILD.
Old 2008-09-19, 06:53   Link #12075
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yes esper has been around in japanese anime for a long time. Since the golden age of super robots, Gundam, Reideen and such, espers have been used to describe people with special abilities, not just limited to its original meaning of 'Extra Sensory Perceptioners'.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 06:55   Link #12076
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol if there were sliders, Konata would come to Haruhi's world... as a slider XD
Old 2008-09-19, 07:59   Link #12077
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Yes esper has been around in japanese anime for a long time. Since the golden age of super robots, Gundam, Reideen and such, espers have been used to describe people with special abilities, not just limited to its original meaning of 'Extra Sensory Perceptioners'.
Yeah, in Japanese culture. I think it sounds really quite awkward in English.
Old 2008-09-19, 11:13   Link #12078
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
lol if there were sliders, Konata would come to Haruhi's world... as a slider XD
Nonono... After a certain dating sim, Konata's would be Haruki's Servant Saber.
Old 2008-09-19, 13:55   Link #12079
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Nonono... After a certain dating sim, Konata's would be Haruki's Servant Saber.
At this point, I'll bet Konata is more looking forward to the planned remake of the first game by the same company (from before the company turned pro).

And by the way, it's not a dating sim. Yes, it has romantic elements (and H-scenes in the PC version), but "action/adventure story" is a much better description (despite being a visual novel and not having actual action gameplay, like in other VNs such as the one with all the animal-eared and -tailed people and the main character having a mask he couldn't remove).
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 15:00   Link #12080
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
I don't see MTG coexisting with Haruhi at all.
Yuki is a Blue Wizard(same for the other interfaces, really) that has the power to remove anything that damages her from the game.
Mikuru is a 1/1 White Citizen with flash and some bizarre way to suspend herself.
Itsuki is a Blue/Red somethingorother with "Threshold - ~ gets +3/+3 and gain flying"
Kyon is a Green Human vanilla creature with flavor text questioning why he doesn't have any abilities.
Haruhi... is a face-down Akroma, Angel of Fury

*e* I'd like to make a correction: Kyon's a 1/3 Green Human (whatever) with the ability to flip red legendary creatures with morph face-down.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...

Last edited by Kogetsu Shirogane; 2008-09-19 at 15:36.
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan