AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-12-03, 22:26   Link #2601
BlueDo

Weird chapter, lol...

I guess Shiori copied Asuna's temper as well, eh?
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 23:00   Link #2602
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDo View Post
Weird chapter, lol...

I guess Shiori copied Asuna's temper as well, eh?
Spoiler:
Old 2008-12-05, 18:35   Link #2603
Random Wanderer

So... I'm reiterating my statement that we need Emily and Colette to come back to Earth with the rest of the crew. They're both fun, and I want to keep them. And it'll be fun to have a pair of beastgirls trying to blend in at Mahora. Although at the rate things are going, they may not need to hide anything. There's barely anyone left in the class who doesn't already know about magic...
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-05, 21:35   Link #2604
NyxOne

If...well, calling back to someone's prediction that Emily and Collet and Beatrix would die, but...nah, Akamatsu's not one for killing- since only two people, the Mage of the Beginning and Gateau (and possibly Filius) have died in the course of the manga...and only one of them died in a relatively serious manner.

Then again, Fate's a ruthless bastard who far outclasses the trio.
NyxOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 00:02   Link #2605
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
So... I'm reiterating my statement that we need Emily and Colette to come back to Earth with the rest of the crew. They're both fun, and I want to keep them. And it'll be fun to have a pair of beastgirls trying to blend in at Mahora. Although at the rate things are going, they may not need to hide anything. There's barely anyone left in the class who doesn't already know about magic...
I'd prefer not to think this, but to be honest, it feels like the current arc could be the last of Negima. From the beginning, it's always been about Negi and his father. Considering how everything is starting to be revealed now, it'd be ridiculous to end the current arc without finally getting answers about Nagi. After taking part in some insane battle in the Magic World (where many things have been revealed), how can they transition into another plot? Although the final boss (or at least the mastermind) has yet to be revealed, Fate has generally been a part of much of the story. And I think Fate's story could end here, or at least his main involvement.

Long story short, I'm afraid Akamatsu will continue Negima for far too long than its main story seems to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyxOne View Post
Then again, Fate's a ruthless bastard who far outclasses the trio.
I wouldn't really classify him as ruthless. He seems more like a show-off, seeing as he seems conceited most of the time. But fighting Negi seems to bring something out of him. Who knows if he's really a monster though. More like a person who does what he needs to to get the job done.
Old 2008-12-06, 04:39   Link #2606
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

well ... whats talking against this being last arc is that it seems to reach the last parts of it and KA at some point around chapter 200 said that we was about halfway, and there is still a fair share of loose ends even after this arc ends ... (and even though Negi getting answers, then Nagi keeps being M.I.A, most likely somewhere on Earth) ... and about the that there was many things revealed in Magic World Arc ... there was a fair share of things revealed in all arcs i'd say

Mage in the beginning that dies ... who was that again?

i can easily see that Collet is joining for Maroha ... with Emily i'm a bit more in doubt ... she's to close to be a carbon copy of Ayaka
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 08:05   Link #2607
NyxOne

Actually, Asrialys, it's been apparently confirmed that where we are now is only halfway through the entire story. If that's the case, there must be something big coming up.
Old 2008-12-06, 11:15   Link #2608
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
I'd prefer not to think this, but to be honest, it feels like the current arc could be the last of Negima. From the beginning, it's always been about Negi and his father. Considering how everything is starting to be revealed now, it'd be ridiculous to end the current arc without finally getting answers about Nagi. After taking part in some insane battle in the Magic World (where many things have been revealed), how can they transition into another plot? Although the final boss (or at least the mastermind) has yet to be revealed, Fate has generally been a part of much of the story. And I think Fate's story could end here, or at least his main involvement.

Long story short, I'm afraid Akamatsu will continue Negima for far too long than its main story seems to be.
Hmm? I'm not sure where the idea that this Arc should end it all comes from... if anything this Arc is focused on Asuna and Fate, rather then finding Nagi. We've only seen a scant few chapters on this, and that was more a background teaser and a reminder of Negi's goals then a hint that it's going to end soon. If anything, we'll get a few answers, possibly hints to Nagi's current location, which transitions into the next plot.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 11:20   Link #2609
Asrialys

Yeah, yeah, I see. I'll still be an avid reader either way.
Old 2008-12-06, 11:54   Link #2610
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Hmm? I'm not sure where the idea that this Arc should end it all comes from... if anything this Arc is focused on Asuna and Fate, rather then finding Nagi. We've only seen a scant few chapters on this, and that was more a background teaser and a reminder of Negi's goals then a hint that it's going to end soon. If anything, we'll get a few answers, possibly hints to Nagi's current location, which transitions into the next plot.
WHAT next plot? Leaving aside that dealing with Fate means getting rid of the longest lasting villain, who has been set up as THE major villain ever since his first appearance, do you really think there's time left for another arc that's more epic than the current one? I don't know where the halfway point for the manga was, but each of these major story arcs so far have been huge. The final arc, whatever it could be, would have to be even more important than this one, with more consequences, more risks, more fights, etc. I don't think something like that could fit in here.

Personally I also figure that this will be the last real story arc. It's just going to last for another 50 to 100 chapters (or more), then there'll be some epilogue stuff to tie up loose ends and it'll be over.
Old 2008-12-06, 12:04   Link #2611
NyxOne

Though, again, Word of God, we're only halfway through the story. And we're at, what, 230 odd chapters and 23/24 odd volumes? That means, seeing as the statement was issued around 200, we have at least 170 odd chapters to get through, and a further 23/24 volumes. Combined with the breaks Akamatsu's having, Negima won't be over for a good four to six years, at an estimate- since, if Akamatsu worked without breaks, and if these estimations were true, Negima would still take over three years to come to a close.

Oh, and in regards to Fate being the 'main villain', Wanderer, take note of a comment Eva made about him early in the series...and possibly Fate's 'name' of Tertium, too.
Old 2008-12-06, 12:19   Link #2612
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Though, again, Word of God, we're only halfway through the story. And we're at, what, 230 odd chapters and 23/24 odd volumes? That means, seeing as the statement was issued around 200,
Interesting, since I've heard people saying that was stated around the end of the festival arc.

Regardless, no villain Akamatsu introduces by this point will have the same impact as Fate. It would just feel contrived to throw in someone who's even stronger still. And given the emphasis on combat, I'm not sure a major arc could be done without a villain. Yet, with all this buildup it would ALSO feel contrived to have Fate get away and come back yet again.

This storyline seems designed to handle all the major remaining mysteries in Negima. I'm going to hold out that it makes sense for it to be the last one until Akamatsu starts another one and proves me wrong.
Old 2008-12-06, 12:23   Link #2613
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
WHAT next plot?
Dunno, finding Nagi? I mean, that only is what this entire manga has been about.

I would be sorely disappointed if they found Nagi in a handful of chapters after this crisis has settled. We still have zero clue as to where he is or why he disappeared. Personally, I think the next Big Bad is going to be the reason Nagi disappeared.
Old 2008-12-06, 12:26   Link #2614
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Dunno, finding Nagi? I mean, that only is what this entire manga has been about.

I would be sorely disappointed if they found Nagi in a handful of chapters after this crisis has settled. We still have zero clue as to where he is or why he disappeared. Personally, I think the next Big Bad is going to be the reason Nagi disappeared.
WHAT next big bad? It kind of fails if one just appears with no buildup, you know.
Old 2008-12-06, 12:29   Link #2615
NyxOne

Let's see, Fate's controller, going by what Eva said about him early in the series?
Old 2008-12-06, 12:36   Link #2616
Asrialys

Quote:
WHAT next big bad? It kind of fails if one just appears with no buildup, you know.
lol Like the one in Rakan's movie. I guess we'll have to see what was up with that to guess at where Akamatsu's leading his characters.
Old 2008-12-06, 12:37   Link #2617
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Let's see, Fate's controller, going by what Eva said about him early in the series?
Who we've never seen, heard of, or even encountered any implications of his existence other than "Hmm, he didn't seem human either. More like a construct." The guy in Rakan's flashback may or may not count, but he seems to be dead. If he made Fate, Fate and Co. may be operating independently on whatever their last orders were.

Villains who come out of nowhere with barely a mention before and try to act like the true big bad villain of the entire story are exactly what I was referring to when I said "contrived" earlier.

I believe Akamatsu's a better writer than that. I'm sure he can come up with a better excuse than that if he feels the need to keep going beyond this arc.

Quote:
lol Like the one in Rakan's movie. I guess we'll have to see what was up with that to guess at where Akamatsu's leading his characters.
Indeed. I think that one was written that way on purpose to show Rakan's poor storytelling skills, though.
Old 2008-12-06, 12:39   Link #2618
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
That, or whatever Fate is trying to do might be involved with another big bad.

Quote:
Who we've never seen, heard of, or even encountered any implications of his existence other than "Hmm, he didn't seem human either. More like a construct." The guy in Rakan's flashback may or may not count, but he seems to be dead. If he made Fate, Fate and Co. may be operating independently on whatever their last orders were.

Villains who come out of nowhere with barely a mention before and try to act like the true big bad villain of the entire story are exactly what I was referring to when I said "contrived" earlier.

I believe Akamatsu's a better writer than that. I'm sure he can come up with a better excuse than that if he feels the need to keep going beyond this arc.
Who's the say the background can't appear still? The magic world arc can be worked into creating the background of the next villain.
Old 2008-12-06, 12:52   Link #2619
Random Wanderer

Quote:
That, or whatever Fate is trying to do might be involved with another big bad.

Who's the say the background can't appear still? The magic world arc can be worked into creating the background of the next villain.
Someone could be brought in now, but I really don't think anyone new would have quite the same impact as Fate. Fate's been too effective at being a villain and too unbeatable thus far for anyone introduced halfway or 2/3 of the way or whatever through to catch up. Fate's been involved in (and possibly responsible for) pretty much all of the evil that's happened in the manga, past and present: to disappearance of Nagi, summoning the demons to destroy Negi's hometown, the Kyoto arc, Wilhelm's attack, and now this mess. The only big thing he didn't seem to have a hand in was Chao's stuff at the Festival.

I suppose Chao could return for another story, but I would kind of hope that the next time we see her she isn't an enemy...
Old 2008-12-06, 13:10   Link #2620
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

And yet Fate is being de-villainized with each passing chapter now, so the chances of him becoming the end-all villain is growing slimmer.

Speaking of Chao, she was also a villain that 'came out of nowhere with hardly any introduction' and she was a damn awesome villain.

Just goes to show that you can have a good villain without lengthy introduction.

Tags
action, fantasy