AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-30, 05:34   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 648 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

So as we all know by now, the storyline has finally reached its resolution point. What is the aftermath of the epic battle that nearly resulted in the island's destruction? Let's find out (credit goes to Apforums' CCC for translation):

-Chapter title is "Onwards to the sun". The ministory shows us Wiper and the Shandian warriors, who have become God's guardians in Skypiea.

-The sea kings continue their conversation from last chapter, saying that Noah was actually meant to be pulled by the creatures in the first place. Supposedly, it even potentially holds the power to destroy the world. While Shirahoshi rescues the unconscious Luffy, the sea kings then state that aside from Luffy, Gold Roger was the only other human who was able to hear their voices. They then mull over how long it would take to repair Noah. They say that a certain "family" is needed to fix it, but the times have changed.....

-Apparently, the mermaids that Caribou kidnapped have been found, but in exchange, some of the palace's treasures, including the tamatebako (the "Urashima casket" mentioned by Decken in the flashback) has been stolen. Meanwhile, the Straw-Hats clear up the confusion about the kidnapping incident at the plaza. Jinbei has captured the human pirates and handed them over to the royalty, while a fatigued Chopper is resting on Robin's lap (making Sanji jealous, heh). The 3 princes have apprehended Hody and Decken, who are both KOed.

-It's at this time that Shira comes back with Luffy, who's still bleeding profusely. His blood type is F, and he requires a transfusion. While the princess herself volunteers to be a donor, her blood type doesn't match. However, Jinbei steps in to provide his blood. It's at this time that Luffy fonally wakes up, and he asks the former Sun pirate to join his crew.

....Damn, after all those huge debates, it looks like the Jinbei supporters are triumphant in the end, regardless. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with this decision (as I've said before, Jinbei's mentor status what made me wary of him joining in the first place). I mean, I do like the character and all, but I figured he'd remain at the island and help guide the youngsters towards a more peaceful coexistence with humans. Well.... I'll just have to wait and see how this matter is handled in future chapters, I suppose.

But putting that aside for now: The sea king's conversation was quite interesting, if I do say so myself (Roger being able to understand them was pretty much expected, though). I guess Noah may be one of those ancient weapons after all, judging from their words. And I'm kind of surprised that Caribou apparently abandoned those mermaids (but if those treasures are more valuable, it's understandable, I guess). I'm also guessing that the "family" the sea kings were referring to were of the "D" lineage.....
Old 2011-11-30, 06:53   Link #2
Undertaker

Still, Luffy only "asked", there were people who Luffy asked to be in his crew and was declined before. (the guy in treasure box if I remember correctly and Vivi as well, afterall she is not on the ship) Not to mention the secret behind tamatebako has still not been revealed yet so Shira still got chance. (which I thought has something to do with Shira) But really I just want event with Caribou be done with and we can actually get to NW.

Roger thing was pretty obvious, was nice to have some sort of confirmation.

What I find interesting was SeaKings mention of certain family that is needed to repair Noah. Is it just me who think that Den is the member of that family they mentioned and perhaps that Tom and Den are descendants of Joy Boy and we get to see Franky and Den working together on repairing Noah?
Old 2011-11-30, 07:38   Link #3
Jouten

I think it would be awesome if Jinbei joins. His strength does fit into the crew. But Jinbei is still a person of great authority I wonder how he deals with being under Luffy's command. Now if Crocodile joins, too, we'll have a new monster trio like in Impel Down
Old 2011-11-30, 08:25   Link #4
Homura7

I'm gonna laugh a lot if he declines the offer. And Undertaker said it, the Tamatebako hasn't been put to use yet, and pretty sure it has something to do with Shirahoshi.

So... why did Caribou ditch the mermaids, any guess?
Old 2011-11-30, 08:53   Link #5
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

does this mean Jinbei is weaker than Luffy now?
Old 2011-11-30, 08:56   Link #6
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

I have to agree with OP on the subject of Jinbei joining. Just because Luffy asked him, doesn't make it absolute. Jinbie may accept his offer, but I'm leaning towards a 'No' from him because of how he is a mentor to Luffy and his general relationship with him. He may just aid the crew from time to time, but that's about as far as it will go. And I really don't see why people think Caribou or Crocodile would join in the first place. It just seems more like a fan made dream then an actual possibility.
Caribou is a cold blooded murder and a thief of plenty, whilst Crocodile is a conceited, narcissistic, power hungry asshole. None of those traits fits with Luffy's crew at all.
The only reason why Caribou would assist the crew would mainly be for self preservation, this was proven earlier on when they were on their way to Fishman Island.
The only reason why Crocodile would assist the crew is if it benefited him in some way like it did in Impel Down. He only helped Luffy because it meant his escape from hell and so he could extract revenge upon White Beard for taking his hand.

I just fail to see Straw Hat Crew potential in the characters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
So... why did Caribou ditch the mermaids, any guess?
In an earlier manga he said he 'ate' them....i guess he crapped them out??
Old 2011-11-30, 09:08   Link #7
Jouten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreGon45 View Post
I have to agree with OP on the subject of Jinbei joining. Just because Luffy asked him, doesn't make it absolute. Jinbie may accept his offer, but I'm leaning towards a 'No' from him because of how he is a mentor to Luffy and his general relationship with him. He may just aid the crew from time to time, but that's about as far as it will go. And I really don't see why people think Caribou or Crocodile would join in the first place. It just seems more like a fan made dream then an actual possibility.
Caribou is a cold blooded murder and a thief of plenty, whilst Crocodile is a conceited, narcissistic, power hungry asshole. None of those traits fits with Luffy's crew at all.
The only reason why Caribou would assist the crew would mainly be for self preservation, this was proven earlier on when they were on their way to Fishman Island.
The only reason why Crocodile would assist the crew is if it benefited him in some way like it did in Impel Down. He only helped Luffy because it meant his escape from hell and so he could extract revenge upon White Beard for taking his hand.

I just fail to see Straw Hat Crew potential in the characters....

In an earlier manga he said he 'ate' them....i guess he crapped them out??
I wouldn't be so fast with Crocodile. Yeah I meant that more jokingly when I earlier said that Crocodile should join, but you know there is still a mystery about his past that we will eventually learn. He is in the new world, but we know that Crocodile is too weak to be a serious enemy for the Straw Hats. He showed to be a great ally in Impel Down and the White Beard war however. I'd love to see Crocodile stick around with the Straw Hats just for a little while just to see Robin's reaction when meeting him again. :P And don't forget, Crocodile saved Luffy's and Jinbei's life so they still owe him one
Old 2011-11-30, 09:12   Link #8
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

I'm fully aware of that much, but I still find him too.....meh for the crew. I can see him being the occasional ally like you said, but if he joined the crew he'd turn on them if something benefited him or he found something he needed/wanted for himself.
Old 2011-11-30, 09:16   Link #9
Homura7

I think before Jinbe can give Luffy an answer, Caribou will make his move. Still I wonder why he stole the Tamatebako, does he even know about its content? Whatever, we will find out soon.
Old 2011-11-30, 09:16   Link #10
Kunagisa

Obligatory coin "theory" post.
Old 2011-11-30, 10:10   Link #11
ronin myael
lost ronin

jinbei eh? i agree with the others who say he doesn't fit with the crew simply because he's the mentor-type. i also feel that jinbei needs to stay behind to help rebuild fishman island. he is needed there. besides, i doubt jinbei is the type who still have dreams he hasn't fulfilled. the straw hats all share one thing in common, a dream to pursue. does jinbei have one? but if he joins the crew and oda says he's the next crew member then i would accept it. maybe he has plans for jinbei.
Old 2011-11-30, 10:16   Link #12
Homura7

If only this really was the end of the arc I would believe he would, but... this is not the case, we still have Caribou, the Tamatebako and the destruction of Fishman Island to deal with.
Old 2011-11-30, 11:33   Link #13
marvelB

So I notice that the translated chapter didn't mention the tamatebako..... but considering that it's MS we're dealing with here, I'm not really surprised to find out they left out important details..... again.

Still, nice chapter. So apparently those sea kings are centuries old (not so surprising, I think), and I'm amused to see Chopper getting so much support from Robin. I'm still wary of the possibility of Jinbei joining, but I suppose there still exists a chance that he'll decline the offer, eh.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
does this mean Jinbei is weaker than Luffy now?
If their scuffle from earlier was any indication, they're roughly equal in power (at least on land. I think Luffy would have a much rougher time against him than he did with Hody if they fought underwater). And frankly, Oda has no reason to nerf Jinbei considering how much stronger the Straw-Hats became after the skip. But I still feel that a "Monster Trio" is more fitting for the crew than a "Monster Quartet".....
Old 2011-11-30, 12:19   Link #14
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Well, we'll see what happens next chapter. I honestly don't have a problem if he joins or not, but I'd say he'd fit right in with them, given the events of recent chapters.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2011-11-30, 12:22   Link #15
Shingai-san

I actually wouldn't mind if Jinbe joined the crew. His backstory has already been explained. He has a good fleshed out character. His dream is still a mystery, but I am sure he has one. Maybe his dream is to see fish people and humans to be able to peacefully cohabitate? He would be the first fishman we have seen to be a member of a pirate crew that's not all fishmen. Being in the crew of the future Pirate King might go a long way to furthering that dream.

Ararararagi
Old 2011-11-30, 12:25   Link #16
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yes, Jinbei has a fully developed character arc, he is well within the 'requirements' to join the crew.

Whether he is a rookie or not doesn't matter, Robin definitely wasn't a rookie, she has seen much for the past 20+ years.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2011-11-30, 12:36   Link #17
Kallen4life

I honestly like Jinbe, but the Monster Trio as it always was will cease to exist

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hope he declines

Quote:
He would be the first fishman we have seen to be a member of a pirate crew that's not all fishmen
pretty sure one of WB commanders is a fishman
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2011-11-30, 12:36   Link #18
janipani

Jinbe won't enlarge monster trio to quadred. I can see quite passive role to him as someone who brings knowledge rather than aggressiveness.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Old 2011-11-30, 12:37   Link #19
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

God i want jimbei to join!! but i reckon he'll stay on mermaid island

what happened to that guy who kidnaped the mermaids?
Old 2011-11-30, 12:41   Link #20
janipani

Maybe Jinbe declines and then Shirahoshi comes and says "what about me!"... and YEeash!!! It will happen for sure!

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Closed Thread