AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 27 26.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 37.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 22.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.99%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-28, 13:24   Link #41
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I thought it was a nice execution of the "senior school trip" scenario with these personalities. "School trip" episodes tend to be a favorite of mine in any 'daily life' series and this one flew decently. I don't know if anyone will ever be able to quite match "Okinawaaaaaaaa!!!! Okinawa!!!! ..." completely but it had the advantage of arriving early in the genre.

However, listening to Ritsu (Ritu, heh) absolutely mangle kansai-ben was a hoot. And I don't recall any other series where "sensei" suffered quite so much...

Preview looks unusual as well (the juniors get a taste of "after their seniors leave", I suppose).

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-04-28 at 13:54.
Old 2010-04-28, 14:52   Link #42
Sparvid
*hic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
However, listening to Ritsu (Ritu, heh) absolutely mangle kansai-ben was a hoot.
I thought that it was an improvement over the manga that she soon realized that she got in over her head, but still desperately tried to keep it up

Also her blink-and-you-might-miss-it reaction to Mugi's speech:

Old 2010-04-28, 15:05   Link #43
Mikoto Misaka
Made in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And I don't recall any other series where "sensei" suffered quite so much...
Her hard work in this episode reminds me of the fact that she is Yui's teacher.
Until now, she has acted as the 6th member of After School Tea Time, so I had forgotten perfectly.
Old 2010-04-28, 15:35   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It just occurred to (lunchtime rewatch) that Mugi is seriously channeling Lucky*Star Miyuki-wikibot this episode ... example: this moment starting at 6:30 (and other points in the episode).

Best Sawa-chan moment for me: the temple moment when she bought the enmusubi omamori. She had to be thinking "why on earth would I actually want children?" (8:15-8:40)
Old 2010-04-28, 15:47   Link #45
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
I must admit, I loved this episode. Perfect slice-of-life fun. I adore stuff like this for the same reason I read Enid Blyton books - it's like spending a pleasant, innocent evening with friends. The whole pillow fight scene, and Ritsu saying stupid stuff to make them laugh, had me grinning from groin to sternum. I'm sure people will complain, but as far as I'm concerned, complexity and cynicism can take a break for 25 minutes a week.

The next episode looks interesting, being the "other half" of today's events. Azunyan, Ui and Jun walking around an empty school? Yep, Enid Blyton would definitely have been proud. Although on her watch, the girls probably would've eaten a lot more fried rice.
Old 2010-04-28, 16:01   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwards View Post
I must admit, I loved this episode. Perfect slice-of-life fun. I adore stuff like this for the same reason I read Enid Blyton books - it's like spending a pleasant, innocent evening with friends. The whole pillow fight scene, and Ritsu saying stupid stuff to make them laugh, had me grinning from groin to sternum. I'm sure people will complain, but as far as I'm concerned, complexity and cynicism can take a break for 25 minutes a week.

The next episode looks interesting, being the "other half" of today's events. Azunyan, Ui and Jun walking around an empty school? Yep, Enid Blyton would definitely have been proud. Although on her watch, the girls probably would've eaten a lot more fried rice.
The Blyton books didn't catch on nearly as well in the States (though I recall reading one or two in the library when I was young)... there was a series called the Bobbsey Twins that was fairly popular (about 4 siblings - two sets of fraternal twins) ... just childhood daily life. As a young Texas child, I was rather fascinated by these characters who said "shan't" in daily conversation.

The pillow fight was obviously one of our little princess Mugi's Big Goals in Life.
Old 2010-04-28, 16:10   Link #47
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
Also her blink-and-you-might-miss-it reaction to Mugi's speech:

Heh, that was the first thing I noticed.
Old 2010-04-28, 16:48   Link #48
Ezilled

Words couldn't even describe how much I love this episode as the second one. KyoAni exceeds my expectations though I've quite disappointed on some of the minor events which they didn't include.

The life in a countryside and its places are really refreshing to watch especially in cultural heritage like Kyoto. Sometimes, it makes me want to grasp its ambiance and air someday. Also, the staffs seem did a lot of work in respect to the backgrounds and sceneries, nice job.

Meanwhile, I was like grinning like an idiot because of the girl's gags the entire time. For instance, when Ritsu and Yui rubbed the cow sculpture, the 'funny' words they used when they're about to sleep, and the pillow fight which started by Mugi. She certainly stood out the most and about time to show her inner self as a commoner because it really helps to appreciate her even more. Although Azusa had been temporarily separated to them, she will have her own spotlight together with Jun and Ui. Hope they would follow the original source faithfully.
Old 2010-04-28, 17:18   Link #49
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
It was funny to see Yui and Ritsu rub the pig to get smart.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2010-04-28, 17:38   Link #50
Chocolate Pocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
It was funny to see Yui and Ritsu rub the pig to get smart.
It was a cow, not a pig.
I loved this episode! Ritsu and Mugi were real funny and Nodoka getting lost was something I did not expect! The Ui tric kthing didnt work very well in the anime. It's much better in the manga.
Old 2010-04-28, 17:51   Link #51
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Pocky View Post
It was a cow, not a pig.
I loved this episode! Ritsu and Mugi were real funny and Nodoka getting lost was something I did not expect! The Ui tric kthing didnt work very well in the anime. It's much better in the manga.
The Ui/Yui intro also failed because the sub translator gave it away right off the bat by injecting a pronoun ("she") where there was none in the dialog. The actually line was a typical japanese implied-noun sentence fragment. A subtitle of "Okay, ... got change of clothes." instead of "okay, now she has a change of clothes." would have kept the joke intact.

Time to fire up Aegisub and tweak a bit...

In general, I haven't been annoyed at the translation this season though, just mild "eh?" moments when I see a subtitle that doesn't match what I'm hearing and shifts the intent to collide in my head. For example... Mio does not say "Jesus Christ!" at 14:27 (though it certainly reflects her exasperation). We're in Japan, people don't call out to gods they don't worship (or use much anglo-saxon profanity at all) so it jarred me to read it. I understand the dilemma of the translator though, because "Oy vey!" is probably a perfect fit but one some Westerners might not understand. The longer "You give me a headache!" is, of course, too long.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-04-28 at 18:07.
Old 2010-04-28, 18:57   Link #52
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Episode wasn't half bad.

Refreshing to actually see the teach act like a teacher and not a walking gimmick.

I hope she beats up on Ritsu some more, it's funny.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2010-04-28, 19:11   Link #53
FENR1Sdesu
Chokinggu =A='

Ritsu was Sawa-chan's stress toy the entire episode. She gets stepped on like a stepladder, put in a submission hold, and gets facestretched XD
Old 2010-04-28, 19:15   Link #54
Eak
One angry cloud.

Mugi was extra adorable in this episode. Her little snort was hilarious.
Old 2010-04-28, 19:17   Link #55
kitten320

Well considering Ritsu's personality... I guess she is just the easiest victim^^
Old 2010-04-28, 20:39   Link #56
GreatTeacherKen

This episode, out of all the others so far, is the one I related to the most. While I've never been to Kyoto, I can definitely relate to the pillow fight and the trying-to-fall-asleep scene; I remember my friends and I would basically act like the girls did here during sleepovers, spouting out random words and cracking ourselves up until after a few hours when we would finally fall asleep.

Very nostalgic, as well as being funny.
Old 2010-04-28, 21:30   Link #57
qwevfr

I don't understand the part where they say random words and mio laugh so hard....
Other than that this episode is great!...especially the pillow fight that mugi initiateed. I thought it was only due to their own sense of direction that they got lost but the part where nodoka got lost as well is surprising.
Old 2010-04-28, 21:43   Link #58
GreatTeacherKen

I think the sheer randomness of the words was why they were cracking up. As for Mio laughing, I think that's basically showing that although Mio tries to act serious, she isn't that different from the other girls. It's basically her 'serious' facade breaking down; notice how during the scene where they're trying to fall asleep, Mio doesn't laugh, it's only later when Ritsu says Skull again that she cracks up.
Old 2010-04-28, 22:18   Link #59
shyezrylei
Intoxicated Guitarist

Send a message via MSN to shyezrylei Send a message via Yahoo to shyezrylei
Mio's laughing at the end... It reminds me of some of the laughing fits I get and I do my best to hold it in but it's no use. I can't stop laughing for the life of me... can't breathe lol.
Old 2010-04-28, 22:35   Link #60
netvope
SOS-Dan

It was a fun episode

Perhaps this scene wasn't catching attention...

I liked how their handwriting matches their personality

Can somebody translate it? I don't understand what Yui and Mugi say.
Closed Thread