AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-04-03, 10:06   Link #1
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Need some help with ATI driver issues

Recently been experiencing some BSOD issues with my laptop sometimes after either a gaming session or even when it's just on. I've seen it before though, before the BSOD goes on the screen graphics rips up with the usual green artifacts and corrupt graphics. BSOD code:

0x00000116
0x99550150
0x8dcff5d4
atikmpag.sys

I'm almost sure this is a driver issue and not an overheating one especially since I don't overclock anything. I've heard the problems with the ATI Catalyst drivers and it's been giving me a pain. I tried the usual safe mode reinstallation up to the point where W7 no longer recognized my video card and I had to use System Restore to fix it.

Anyone recognize the error code better? I personally never understood why software and hardware manufacturers have switched to universal drivers, because from what I've seen they've been causing problems on a wide array of machines. I don't get the BSODS very often but it;s still annoying.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 02:30   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Did you upgrade to the newest Catalyst drivers? Make sure you get the ones for Mobility 5600/5700 Series, and not the desktop version...

If you have, try using an older version.
Old 2011-04-04, 07:40   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Reinstalled drivers and stuff even on an old driver and I'm still getting artifacts. The difference now is that the artifacts no longer cause the OS or whatever I'm running to freeze, and they flicker on and out when I manipulate stuff. At the very least programs still run

Whoever invented universal hardware drivers needs to be dragged into the street and shot.
Old 2011-04-04, 07:59   Link #4
sneaker

I know you said you didn't overclock, but test the temperatures with GPU-Z and CoreTemp anyways. Laptops tend to accumulate dust over time, blocking the air flow and causing overheating. And yes, this error can be caused by overheating.
(I'm not saying that this is most likely the cause, just that it's something I'd look into.)

/edit: CoreTemp instead of CPU-Z, latter doesn't read any temperatures

Last edited by sneaker; 2011-04-04 at 08:36.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 09:06   Link #5
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Rolled back to the base software that comes with the system, uninstalled Daemon and sptd.sys, changed my antivirus etc etc. Basically everything said in this place.

Downloading the tools you suggested and monitoring the temps. Let's see if this works.

Edit - From what I can tell atikmpag.sys comes with the Catalyst, so in theory uninstalling Catalyst but leaving the drivers in should fix the problem. Is this true and does anyone else have any suggestions?

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2011-04-04 at 10:18.
Old 2011-04-04, 10:42   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ugh. The graphical errors pop up even in safe mode and having done all of the above suggestions, however unlike in regular Windows I can still work with the OS. Now I'm sure it's either a problem with the video card or the memory sticks. Running memtest to see.
Old 2011-04-04, 11:04   Link #7
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Rolled back to the base software that comes with the system, uninstalled Daemon and sptd.sys, changed my antivirus etc etc. Basically everything said in this place.

Downloading the tools you suggested and monitoring the temps. Let's see if this works.

Edit - From what I can tell atikmpag.sys comes with the Catalyst, so in theory uninstalling Catalyst but leaving the drivers in should fix the problem. Is this true and does anyone else have any suggestions?
No. Catalyst and the driver run hand-in-hand to deal with refresh rates and graphics. Uninstalling one probably won't solve the problem.

Did you run CCleaner after you uninstalled the drivers? There could be an issue of old corrupted registry values messing around with your computer.

BTW, SPTD can be disabled instead of uninstalling. Hard drives don't last forever anyway.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 19:29   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I've done a lot of research on this and it seems to be everyone with this same problem has some type of hardware fault with their graphics chip.

Graphical glitches regardless of the driver version--and even in Safe Mode, to boot--makes me strongly suspect a bad GPU. Check the temps with GPU-Z just to be sure--they're probably abnormally high even when idling.

You just got this, so I'd return it if I were you, and get a new one.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:32   Link #9
Random32
Also a Lolicon

It seems like a hardware issue. I hope its still under warranty. Send the thing back if it is.

Before that, I would try using the manufacturer provided drivers or the AMD drivers if you have only been trying the other one.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 23:19   Link #10
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Gpu-z shows temps of about 40c during video playback. I'm gonna try underclocking later when I get home and if it dont work gonna try reinstalling windows. If that doesnt fix it gonna send it back for the warranty.
Old 2011-04-05, 00:02   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Temps of 40c during video playback sounds about right, little hotter than my old laptop ran. Was it flash video? Flash 10.2 will ramp up your GPU when you play youtube or whatever.

My old Gateway laptop usually idled at 38c, using basically the same GPU (5650, which is 5730 with slightly lower clocks). Lot cooler than my current 5850 LOL which idles at 50ish.
Old 2011-04-08, 20:56   Link #12
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Reinstalled everything, and found that the screen goes garbage even when reinstalling W7. Now I'm sure it's a hardware problem.

Sent it to the Asus support center which I learned is in the mall a 10 minute walk from my house and they said it's probably a motherboard problem. Will still take 3-4 more days before I can get it back. Urgh.