Notices

Old 2006-01-27, 20:59   Link #21
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
personally i dont like irc

from back in my online gaming days when it took 10mins to decypher a sentance writen in L337 speek....and all mods where god who must have the ***'s kiss'ed by all ¬_¬

but i remember hearing this phrase a while back concerning irc "This is the internet we are not your friends"

My favorite phrase that I coined is " This is the internet, It is a democracy. Shut up about it or be banished to the depths of /ban "
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 23:06   Link #22
Draneor
Aesop's Fox

I personally find IRC to be a very useful program in regards to fansubbing. The ability to communicate in real time with the entire staff on a project is advantageous to producing a quality product. Since many of us are in different time zones, the ability to leave a question for another staff member and receive a nick alert twelve hours later when he or she[1] posts the answer is also essential. Certainly, there are other ways we could communicate, but IRC seems best suited to our needs.

Now, outside of exclusive staff channels, I rarely chat on IRC. IRC, as a medium, tends to gravitate towards immaturity, broken language, insulting, and humor. The average age in popular channels also tends to be rather low. While these things have their place, I personally do not enjoy the kinds of conversations that normally occur on IRC. I have had intellectual stimulating discussions before that did not turn into ad hominem wars on IRC, but they are far and few between. The medium does affect and influence the content (for further information about how the medium affects the content, I recommend Neil Postman’s work on media ecology). The internet in general encourages people to act without regard to the other. People tend to be meaner on the internet than they do in real life. There are many reasons why this is so, including the lack of social restraints and consequences upon online behaviors. Many people say and write things online that they would never say in an actual, verbal conversation. Of course, there are friendly and polite people on the internet. However, the system is biased against it. Distance and anonymity radically affects human behavior.

As for myself, I always try to never ask a question that takes longer for the person I asked to answer than it did for me to think about and research the question. Truthfully, most people are lazy. Rather than researching and finding the answer for themselves, most people prefer for someone else to give them the answer. However, all this does is shift the burden of labor, as answering questions--especially poorly thought-out questions—takes time and effort. Hence, while I don’t agree with the behavior of many Ops on IRC, I understand why they get annoyed by lazy inquiries, especially from people they do not know. A good rule is to always try to help yourself before asking for help.

I agree that we should treat others ethically no matter what the medium. We shouldn’t do this for personal gain, social reasons, or some eternal reward, but because it is the ethical thing to do. Thus, I understand why you feel frustrated that many internet users do not respect other users. However, you cannot control the behavior of other people. You can, however, strive to be polite, friendly, and helpful yourself. Hence, focus on improving your behavior rather than the behavior of others. This is, of couse, that old Confucian principle, "treat others how you wish to be treated."

[1] We don't actually have any female staff members anymore. Sometimes, I wonder if they exist.
Draneor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 23:46   Link #23
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
In general I like IRC, but I'm no good at talking in crowded channels because Im shy or what not

mm..I will admit I have mistyped a trigger once or twice (or thrice -__- ).. but generally a quick apology and the people whose conversation I interrupted will forgive me. You shouldn't really take getting kicked or banned as such a serious offense, those things are there so you can realize your mistake and become a better person..
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 02:13   Link #24
silverfire
World's Biggest Douchebag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
personally i dont like irc

from back in my online gaming days when it took 10mins to decypher a sentance writen in L337 speek....and all mods where god who must have the ***'s kiss'ed by all ¬_¬

but i remember hearing this phrase a while back concerning irc "This is the internet we are not your friends"
People who consistently talk in 1337 tend to be kicked and banned very quickly for a very long time in channels I have power in. Same with the pPl wHo tAlK lIkE tHiS. Most other operators I know wouldn't hesitate to kickban on such grounds either.
silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 06:05   Link #25
real folk blues..

i download everything from irc..for one thing its way more consistent, the other thing is that it doesn't take up all my bandwidth(256kbps..)..so we have a real winner
and furthermore, i prefer the interaction there even thought there isn't an avatar or signature... people just value conversation better than posts
1.0.7. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 19:02   Link #26
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.0.7.
i download everything from irc..for one thing its way more consistent, the other thing is that it doesn't take up all my bandwidth(256kbps..)..so we have a real winner
and furthermore, i prefer the interaction there even thought there isn't an avatar or signature... people just value conversation better than posts

So.. let me get this right.

You like IRC, because its slower than torrents, because torrents go so fast they take up all your bandwidth?
Old 2006-01-29, 05:39   Link #27
real folk blues..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
So.. let me get this right.

You like IRC, because its slower than torrents, because torrents go so fast they take up all your bandwidth?
i mean my broadband is only 256kbps, and i never said anything about if torrents were way faster
but overall, i notice i finish my downloads faster with irc.
1.0.7. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 09:35   Link #28
Ending

IRC is pretty basic, IMO, when compared to Messenger and others. Hope the smarter IRCers move on once Google publishes that cross-compatible chat-tool.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 09:57   Link #29
HoboGod
Necromancer

I don't know why so many people have beef against IRC, it is a great way to share information and/or get a good laugh. Sure, there are assholes and trolls, but they exist in every outlet of mass communication. And yes, sometimes those people have been granted authority. But you can't blame the messanger if you don't like the assholes who send them and their asshole messages.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 11:59   Link #30
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
I don't know why so many people have beef against IRC, it is a great way to share information and/or get a good laugh. Sure, there are assholes and trolls, but they exist in every outlet of mass communication. And yes, sometimes those people have been granted authority. But you can't blame the messanger if you don't like the assholes who send them and their asshole messages.

thats what the ignore command is for.
Old 2006-01-29, 12:35   Link #31
Midnyt
Endorsed by Nodoka!~

Send a message via MSN to Midnyt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
thats what the ignore command is for.
It is, however /ignore does not work if the person you are ignoring has +o set on them. (at least on freenode this is the case, me and a friend took it apon ourselves to test this out).

In other words, you're out of luck if the asshole is in a position of power in the channel.
Midnyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 13:33   Link #32
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I think I've been ignored a few times, I don't blame them though, I'd ignore myself if I could.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 13:34   Link #33
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

IRC. A great tool. Much better than most messenger services out there because of the inherent chat room atmosphere and the non-existant "POP UP WINDOW" whenever you get an IM. Heck, I can ignore people for hours and they have no idea! (just close the window).

IRC can share files, distribute anime, chat in real time, takes up very little ram, very fast, and has good scripting tools if you know how to use them.

As for bans? Pah. Just don't go to channels where the ops are assholes. My channel has a "No Bans" policy, because, as we were once all leechers, and I feel it's wrong to discriminate against them. No one was never not a leecher.

Of course, Bottlers should die. They aren't even human.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 19:37   Link #34
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnyt
It is, however /ignore does not work if the person you are ignoring has +o set on them. (at least on freenode this is the case, me and a friend took it apon ourselves to test this out).

In other words, you're out of luck if the asshole is in a position of power in the channel.
The ignore command is not a server-side command, but client-side. People can get around it depending on how your client/script functions: it may be as simple as changing hostmasks, ident, username, or any combination. I suppose it's possible that your script would override its ignore if there were someone of a certain power level, but that's all based around the client.
Old 2006-01-29, 23:15   Link #35
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Everytime I enter an IRC channel, I either always read the topic or type !rules to get the mood of the ops, or do both.

Then I go and browse the internet for a while before coming back and type the appropriate triggers, since some channels won't tolerate newbies coming in and typing !list right away.

If I enter a channel by misake, I also leave it aside for a while before typing /leave, since some channels might actually ban you for entering and leaving within seconds.

For most channels, do the above steps to get on the right side of the ops, even some of the most obnoxious ones. The majority of the channels can be quite reasonable if you follow these steps.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 20:12   Link #36
ShadowrazoR
Unlimited Bishoujo Works

IRC channels for downloading anime?

Er... I didn't know which subforum this thread would fit into, so I'll just put it here.

Does anyone know any good and fast (as in getting their subs quick after it's been released) IRC channels for downloading anime? I think I was recently throttled by my ISP, so BT's getting incredibly slow for me.

Thanks.
ShadowrazoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-26, 16:31   Link #37
soka

You can go to the irc channel of the group that is subbing the anime you want and use the bots there to download it. They usually are up at release time. As for your bt problem, try using a clients that supports traffic encrypting like utorrent or azureus, enable it and see if that avoids the isp filtering.
soka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-26, 19:40   Link #38
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Funny enough, when IRC was still small and nearly no one knew what it was and greeted with "IRC? What's that?", the first few people in the small amount of servers were often friendly to each other and the atmosphere was rather homely. There was no actual conflict or attitude towards the other chatters. They were simply there to "hang out" and chat about anything and everything that interested them. Of course, that changed as the years progressed and IRC became well-known by many. So, I agree that it has gotten worse in some areas where it seems that IRC has become the outlet for many to reveal their darker and possibly immoral side which leads me to think, "Why not be yourself where ever you are and whatever you do?"
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-26, 23:12   Link #39
ShadowrazoR
Unlimited Bishoujo Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by soka View Post
You can go to the irc channel of the group that is subbing the anime you want and use the bots there to download it. They usually are up at release time. As for your bt problem, try using a clients that supports traffic encrypting like utorrent or azureus, enable it and see if that avoids the isp filtering.
Actually, I was thinking along the lines of #lurk, but for anime, since not all groups have IRC channels. Does something like that exist for anime?
ShadowrazoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 17:17   Link #40
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowrazoR View Post
Actually, I was thinking along the lines of #lurk, but for anime, since not all groups have IRC channels. Does something like that exist for anime?
Not in my knowledge.

Seeing the massive amounts (and size) of popular anime over popular manga, if there's any chance of something like this existing, you would have known it already. Having large amounts of anime on IRC is practically unserviceable, as it takes longer to download an episode and eventually bots would be totally overwhelmed.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote