AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-12-25, 16:42   Link #161
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I enjoyed this episode very much, especially the history of Scotch whiskey. I went through a single-malt phase some years ago and tried a number of the whiskeys on display in this episode. I don't recall the "iodine" flavor they attribute to one of these (Laphroaig?), but I'm not surprised they weren't to Miwa's taste.

Like Nergol, I find Miwa one of the more attractive anime women. I'm glad she made an appearance in this episode. Perhaps you just have to be a bit older to appreciate her appeal.

I also like how the writers break through the "fourth-wall" all the time in this series, either by talking directly to the audience or by showing scenes that appear to be taking place on a sound stage. It enhances the sense of fantasy that underlies this show but enables the writers to place the series in a realistic context.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-01, 19:28   Link #162
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

A low CPU alternative to fansubbed Bartender has arrived for all of the people who complained about not being able to play h264 High Def encodes. And wouldn't stop complaining.

Conclave is now subbing it, in two flavors. I don't know about anyone else, but I like choice. (My choice is to keep watching Lunar's High Def, but I have empathy for those who can't play it.)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 08:01   Link #163
Lost

Bartender continues to impress me, no less with episode 8, with which I've just had the pleasure of catching up. What I liked was being able to peer into Ryuu's concept of lies, even for those of Love, being acceptable at the counter until they, and correspondingly the 'stage' on which they were set, could be remembered for sadness and bitterness in the future. From whence, they were forbidden. His rationale: all memories at a bar should be good ones. I for one was sceptical; don't all lies lead to sadness? Still, in this, it showed a depth I rarely see anywhere else. It made me think and question.

And then, just at that moment when I thought that Ryuu was being selfless in exposing Oda and protecting an innocent woman, a twist was introduced. Two of them, in fact. That Ryuu may have been doing this for a little more selfish reasons was evident from his lingering thoughts on the woman in question. Most touching, it showed that the woman wasn't that innocent after all. The love of this woman for her young daughter, in wanting to get her a father, led this woman to believe in the lie that any man would do. Thus, as the show implied, in a sense Oda wasn’t the only liar At least, that’s the way I'm interpreting it.

And at the end it left me uplifted. I mourn that so little people here appreciate this polished gem of a series.

Last edited by Lost; 2007-02-05 at 08:50.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 10:00   Link #164
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
A low CPU alternative to fansubbed Bartender has arrived for all of the people who complained about not being able to play h264 High Def encodes. And wouldn't stop complaining.

Conclave is now subbing it, in two flavors. I don't know about anyone else, but I like choice. (My choice is to keep watching Lunar's High Def, but I have empathy for those who can't play it.)
YA HA!!!!! queue the toni toni chopper sakura dance

This is good, as I did give up on Bartender for this reason, and the last review of EP 8, really has me "wanting" guess I'll be patient and wait for the Conclave Crew to catch up!!

*...too busy buying daughters latest gaming lap tops to update my own shiesh, and mine's only like 4 years old too, was pretty kick ass at the time, but meh*
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 23:16   Link #165
Joojoobees

Guest Narrators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I also like how the writers break through the "fourth-wall" all the time in this series, either by talking directly to the audience or by showing scenes that appear to be taking place on a sound stage. It enhances the sense of fantasy that underlies this show but enables the writers to place the series in a realistic context.
This is perhaps the one element that disturbs me in this series. It reminds me a bit of "experimental" high school theater. It isn't so bad that I can't stand to watch it, and I have to admit that it is an important part of the flavor of the series.

I guess this is an example of the show is already so corny ("the taste of apricots, which reminds me of my lost youth." :cries: ) that they might as well go all the way by having folks that are not physically present in the room suddenly commenting about the inner life of characters who they have never met.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 04:33   Link #166
Joojoobees

Talking Episode 10

Wow!

"Glass" 10 was the best episode yet. It had everything that is great about this series.
Old 2007-02-27, 13:10   Link #167
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I love this series, despite the occasional confusion it creates, with it's stream-of-conciousness method of story-telling.

The Professor in ep. 10 was about the wackiest charactor in this series (not a compliment)
Spoiler:
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 18:01   Link #168
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

That's exactly why it was surprising to me.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 20:37   Link #169
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
Spoiler for episode 10:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
That's exactly why it was surprising to me.
Yeah, this is the first time that convention seemed funny to me. I guess I wasn't expecting it, and they did a good set up. Maybe I've finally been brainwashed by all the anime I watch.
Old 2007-02-27, 20:49   Link #170
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I still think episode 2, where we learn the story of Miwa the hotel heiress, is my favorite in the series. In fact, I think it's one of the single finest episodes of any anime I've watched. For one thing, it is throughout the most "Japanese" of the episodes: the postwar clash of cultures and the appropriateness of Ryu's choice. Miwa's story itself is very touching; to think she's carried this burden for twenty years. Underlying all this is a beautiful, yet understated piano score that always enhances the events on-screen. Not to mention, Miwa herself. Why isn't this woman fighting off suitors left and right? She does have a big crush on Ryu, though. If he's noticed, and he's obviously too perceptive to have missed it, maybe he feels it would be unprofessional of him to have a relationship with a customer. His loss. (Or maybe he doesn't like girls.)

Like Goofus and NSW, I found episode 10 a bit jarring because the style was distinctly more mainstream than the others. I almost stopped watching around the midway point because I found the professor's character so annoying. I've taught university off and on in my life, and no one carries his or her dissertation around, especially to an elementary school reunion. I think I could find a copy of mine if I looked hard enough, but its importance pales in comparison to other life events like having children!

I did laugh when the two fellow bartenders shook their heads after Ryu claimed anyone could make a Black Velvet with a double-pour. I noticed our real-life bartender pulled off the feat at the end, though. I wonder if they needed more than one take.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-02-28 at 11:16. Reason: More detail on episode two
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 21:57   Link #171
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:53.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 00:15   Link #172
Joojoobees

Quote:
I did laugh when the two fellow bartenders shook their heads after Ryu claimed anyone could make a Black Velvet with a double-pour.
That was great.

Quote:
I noticed our real-life bartender pulled off the feat at the end, though. I wonder if they needed more than one take.
It looked like it was 9/10ths foam in the shot with him pouring, then they cut to a shot where there is only foam at the very top. I bet they shot him pouring to the top (with lots of foam), and then had him re-pour it slowly so it would not have as much foam for the final shot.
Old 2007-02-28, 00:34   Link #173
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Wow!

"Glass" 10 was the best episode yet. It had everything that is great about this series.
Sounds good! I can't wait. Seems like this show is getting better and better as it nears its end (1 more ep left only ). I thought 8 was nice, to me, 9 was even better - even the best - and now I hear that 10 is good. Lovely. Looking forward to it.
Old 2007-02-28, 01:14   Link #174
KeiOne

I've been slowly catching up to episode 10. (currently on episode 7) I've been really enjoying the show for the well written story. Some of the drinks are a stretch to me sometimes but they pull off a good job with each "Glass of the Gods".
I was wondering if anyone had full translations of the full opening and ending themes? Not the TV size endings, but the full versions of both songs. If I'm in the wrong forum for this hock it up to nOObism, but I'm willing to take a shot.
(FYI, Opening - Bartender, Ending - Hajimari no Hito)
KeiOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 12:08   Link #175
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Heh.

Quote:
I still think episode 2, where we learn the story of Miwa the hotel heiress, is my favorite in the series. In fact, I think it's one of the single finest episodes of any anime I've watched. For one thing, it is throughout the most "Japanese" of the episodes: the postwar clash of cultures and the appropriateness of Ryu's choice. Miwa's story itself is very touching; to think she's carried this burden for twenty years. Underlying all this is a beautiful, yet understated piano score that always enhances the events on-screen. Not to mention, Miwa herself. Why isn't this woman fighting off suitors left and right? She does have a big crush on Ryu, though. If he's noticed, and he's obviously too perceptive to have missed it, maybe he feels it would be unprofessional of him to have a relationship with a customer. His loss. (Or maybe he doesn't like girls.)
My impression:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-07, 04:12   Link #176
kujoe
from head to heel

I guess I'm kind of late with this question, but referring to episode 10, who is this Mika-chan? The episode seems to imply that the viewer is supposed to be familiar with her considering the way her identity was unveiled.

As for my favorite episode so far, I would have to say it's the ninth. There were a few moments wherein the story felt like it "pushing it" in terms of overrating the significance of certain drinks, but it's still acceptable as it's still part of the overall style and mood of the show. But episode nine really hit the spot. It's really something... The one about the married couple is also particularly touching.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 05:59   Link #177
Lost

I've to agree about episode 9. One of the reasons why I liked episode 9 is because it showed up Ryuu's vulnerability - in his raw, young and inexperienced spiritedness when tackling the issue of that old man. However, there was a big part of 9 that I did not understand. I'll have to rewatch and post again.

Sigh I'm rather behind.. there's just this inertia that prevents me from watching any series lately. D:
Old 2007-03-07, 06:44   Link #178
Joojoobees

Quote:
Not to mention, Miwa herself. Why isn't this woman fighting off suitors left and right? She does have a big crush on Ryu, though. If he's noticed, and he's obviously too perceptive to have missed it, maybe he feels it would be unprofessional of him to have a relationship with a customer. His loss. (Or maybe he doesn't like girls.)
I sometimes think Ryu isn't a human being. In a way, Bartender is a fairy tale, and Ryu's like a magical creature. Eden Hall is a portal to some other world where problems are solved that, if left in the human realm, would otherwise be intractable.

As such Ryu can't get involved with a human. He may not even age at the same rate we do.
Old 2007-03-07, 09:57   Link #179
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I don't know. I have hope for a Miwa/Ryu understanding of some sort or other, ever since the "Black Witch" episode.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 10:33   Link #180
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
[...]

As such Ryu can't get involved with a human. He may not even age at the same rate we do.
So that's why I liked episode 9 and 8. Because they brought out Ryuu's human side!