AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-07, 18:51   Link #201
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Haruka obviously dated Itsuki because of his resemblance of Ayato.

I got a question I always wondered though...Did Haruka ever sleep with Isshiki? I mean...the time where he was blackmailing her and she would visit him at night?

He is a bit of a pervert after all.
Old 2009-10-07, 19:49   Link #202
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Haruka obviously dated Itsuki because of his resemblance of Ayato.

I got a question I always wondered though...Did Haruka ever sleep with Isshiki? I mean...the time where he was blackmailing her and she would visit him at night?

He is a bit of a pervert after all.
I've actually heard this theory before but I have never really gotten than impression from watching the show. The one time we see him proposition her she completely ignores it. Not only that it would seem odd after seeing what happened between Sayako and Itsuki when she slept with Isshiki for "his sake" had to make her realize there is a line that you don't need to push. One of the big themes of Rahxephon is about being honest and how lies come back to haunt you so I don't see them letting her get away with sleeping with Isshiki and still having a happy ending with Ayato. That kind of betrayal of Ayato also doesn't really seem in Haruka's character and Ixtli had a fair amount of control over Isshiki actions at that point so having Haruka sleep with him seems a bit, if not completely, unnecessary.
Old 2009-10-07, 20:04   Link #203
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
I've actually heard this theory before but I have never really gotten than impression from watching the show. The one time we see him proposition her she completely ignores it. Not only that it would seem odd after seeing what happened between Sayako and Itsuki when she slept with Isshiki for "his sake" had to make her realize there is a line that you don't need to push. One of the big themes of Rahxephon is about being honest and how lies come back to haunt you so I don't see them letting her get away with sleeping with Isshiki and still having a happy ending with Ayato. That kind of betrayal of Ayato also doesn't really seem in Haruka's character and Ixtli had a fair amount of control over Isshiki actions at that point so having Haruka sleep with him seems a bit, if not completely, unnecessary.
I know, but if I remember correctly (I watched this around 2 years ago), Ixtil gained control of Isshiki after he fired Haruka for making fun of him. He also used to tell Haruka to visit him at night, writing on a blank paper.

I can see Haruka sleeping with Isshiki actually for Ayato's sake...not sure :|

Of course, I'm hoping I'm wrong...
Old 2009-10-07, 20:28   Link #204
Slick_rick

Quote:
I know, but if I remember correctly (I watched this around 2 years ago), Ixtil gained control of Isshiki after he fired Haruka for making fun of him. He also used to tell Haruka to visit him at night, writing on a blank paper.

I can see Haruka sleeping with Isshiki actually for Ayato's sake...not sure :|

Of course, I'm hoping I'm wrong...
I certain that Ixtil was in control of him before he fired her since they all met when she was posing as a different "Haruka" in Terra right after Ayato is brought back after the incident with Hiroko. Haruka is initially shocked to see her younger self till Ixtil works her mojo on them all.

The writing on paper incident is the one I was pointing out as the time she ignores his proposition. He gets writes the note, she ignores it while staring ahead, he gets mad and tells her to leave, and then his blond friend (forgot her name) makes fun of him for always trying to possess the things that Itsuki likes.

I can't really she her doing it for Ayato sake because that would put her on Sayako's level of betrayals and having good come out of it would really be pointless to show any sort of moral. Haruka wasn't a saint but she doesn't seem a fool either.
Old 2009-10-07, 21:02   Link #205
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I certain that Ixtil was in control of him before he fired her since they all met when she was posing as a different "Haruka" in Terra right after Ayato is brought back after the incident with Hiroko. Haruka is initially shocked to see her younger self till Ixtil works her mojo on them all.

The writing on paper incident is the one I was pointing out as the time she ignores his proposition. He gets writes the note, she ignores it while staring ahead, he gets mad and tells her to leave, and then his blond friend (forgot her name) makes fun of him for always trying to possess the things that Itsuki likes.

I can't really she her doing it for Ayato sake because that would put her on Sayako's level of betrayals and having good come out of it would really be pointless to show any sort of moral. Haruka wasn't a saint but she doesn't seem a fool either.
Yeah, now that I'm rewatching the episode, Haruka started working for Isshiki right after Ayato came back from Tokyo, though I don't know what happened before that, since it never really is shown when she started working for him exactly. Also, by the time he announces this, Ixtil is also re-introduced.

I remember reading about this theory somewhere in a particular review long ago, but haven't got to finish the series by that time, that's how I noticed.

The reason the theory about Haruka sleeping with Isshiki came to my mind then was when Itsuki told Ayato "Haruka has good reasons for being with Isshiki" and also when her friend (forgot her name), told her "You're the right hand man of the white snake guy now?...so you can do anything to protect the one you love." and Haruka looked down seemingly in pain. I also found it strange when Isshiki told Haruka she can be the governor of Tokyo when he destroys the barrier.

Then, there was this particular conversation that striked me between Haruka and Ixtil...

Haruka:

"What Makoto Isshiki said is correct. All human relationships are built upon interests."

Ixtil:

"But relationships built on interests have their own aesthetics."

Haruka:

"His happiness is my profit."

Ixtil:

"He has not realized that yet. He might not realize that forever, then Haruka will become alone forever."

Maybe that was a way for Ixtil to open her mind for what she's doing?
Old 2009-10-07, 21:40   Link #206
Slick_rick

None of that really implies them sleeping together though. She did sacrifice a lot for Ayato sake. Most notably her friendships with the other crewmembers. The only two people who seemed to have supported Isshiki were Haruka and Souichi when he became commander. He needed their support to keep people in line so he'd certainly be thankful for them later on that doesn't mean he slept with either though. Kim and Souichi's relationship was likewise on rocky ground at the time because of his support of Isshiki.

The conversation with Ixtli was all about her relationship with Ayato. Their relationship is built on interests. Ayato's happiness is her profit. Ayato might not realize it and cause her to be alone forever. The last line makes it clear who the "him and he" is referring to and its definitely not Isshiki. I don't see either thinking that her sleeping with Isshiki would bring Ayato happiness especially when it's so easy to avoid going to such lengths while still accomplishing her goal. Why would he fire one of the only people he thought supported him?
Old 2009-10-07, 22:49   Link #207
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Why would he fire one of the only people he thought supported him?
She drew a picture of him imitating a snake to make fun of him, and he fired her to prove himself. That was the beginning of his downfall.

I like the theory that she never slept with him, I always went by it and always will.

I feel like watching the movie again, now that I finished the last episode.
Old 2010-02-11, 23:11   Link #208
strategos

Is this series still consider license? If I'm not mistaken ADV went bankrupt. Anyone else got the license?

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 18:21   Link #209
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategos View Post
Is this series still consider license? If I'm not mistaken ADV went bankrupt. Anyone else got the license?
Don't know. Funimation has rescued some titles from ADV so I would not be suprised if you were to find that title on it's website somewhere down the line.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 23:03   Link #210
ArrowSmith

Thank god I bought the thin-pak Box Set well before ADV went belly up. RahXephon is one of my top 2 mecha-pychological-animes along with Evangelion.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 13:10   Link #211
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

This is quite possibly the greatest anime series of all time. I've series with a similar plot direction that, while overall successful, didn't quite get every thing right. Almost every note RahXephon struck with me was a good one. It was mysterious enough to intrigue me and keep me watching, but straightforward when it counted. I even liked figuring out certain plot points that were intentionally left cryptic to the viewer (like figuring out the connection between Reika and Haruka by about episode 6).

My favorite plot point of all would have to be the relationship between Ayato and Haruka. My god is it beautiful. High school sweet hearts with a complicated relationship and a massive age gap surrounded by the impending apocalypse and they still manage to find their way into each other's hearts. Haruka is one of my favorite anime characters of all time, just because of how strong, capable, and beautiful she is, yet still very vulnerable and human. You don't see good writing like this in action every day.

This anime right here set the bar that very few could live up to. Even such that I coined the phrase "It may be good, but it ain't no RahXephon."
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 09:07   Link #212
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Thought I might as well post about this one too:

RahXephon is getting an Japanese BD Box set next month (amazon, cdjapan, yesasia).

Spoiler for Box pictures from amazon:

Not particularly extravagant extras, so rather expensive at over 40,000yen...but I'd guess that a US release might be on the cards if the original did well. But did it?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 14:03   Link #213
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I wouldn't mind the BR just for the boxart. I adore the art from the novel, so two thumbs up from me for using that.
Old 2011-01-29, 16:35   Link #214
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

So nice to see this anime still getting love from everyone.

Ixtili I STILL have major love for - she's the best avatar for a giant world-remaking mecha I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. Her mindscrew of Isshiki was just ... legendary. And it does help that she was voiced by Maaya Sakamoto - woman has a lovely singing voice.
Old 2011-03-30, 21:50   Link #215
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

That boxart is so damn sexy...please come to the states.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 19:28   Link #216
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Spoiler for Impressions:
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 14:39   Link #217
ArrowSmith

This is one of my favorite animes of all time. How come nobody talks about it anymore? The animation and art-work were always top notch from ep 1 to 26.
Old 2013-06-28, 01:10   Link #218
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Because it's all about EVA now..hehe

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 21:29   Link #219
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
This is one of my favorite animes of all time. How come nobody talks about it anymore? The animation and art-work were always top notch from ep 1 to 26.
Well, there isn't really anything left to say after almost 13 years since this anime finished airing.

Now that I think about it, it's been 6 years since I watched this series and posted in this thread.. time sure flies.

I think I'll re-watch the series when I have time. I haven't been keeping up with anime lately.
Old 2015-06-18, 21:44   Link #220
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Well, there isn't really anything left to say after almost 13 years since this anime finished airing.

Now that I think about it, it's been 6 years since I watched this series and posted in this thread.. time sure flies.

I think I'll re-watch the series when I have time. I haven't been keeping up with anime lately.
Very unappreciated series. The story, art, voice-acting, music were all top notch.

Tags
mecha