AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

View Poll Results: Kill La Kill - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 37 52.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 30.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 9.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 7.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-02-28, 19:46   Link #81
Ruben7227

I don't usually comment, but I have to let it be know, this show is wonderful!!! Next week will be insane! Seriously, Ep 3. was, to me, the best one so far, even if Trigger just place the same fight scene with the role reversal, I will be happy.
Old 2014-02-28, 19:53   Link #82
watanabe43
Justified and ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
That was some kind of communication. Or did you not notice that both she and Ragyo were curiously monochrome (outside of Ragyo's rainbow highlights)?
Being 'curiously monochrome' in Kill la Kill's overall style could mean a lot, or nothing at all. They were also turning into giant spirals, yet interacting with the regular cast like normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Google is your friend
And a very good one, but not 100% reliable when you can't quite word the question right.
Old 2014-02-28, 20:39   Link #83
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that Satsuki is the best character in the show (sorry Mako fans) but a lot of that is because she's not the main character.

Satsuki, in my view, is the most interesting character in the show. And that in turn is largely because we don't know that much about her (which wouldn't be the case if she was the main character). It's only in the last few episodes that a lot of her true motivations have been put out there, but those motivations in turn raise new questions - Such as "Should Satsuki succeed in eliminating her mother and the threat posed by her, what will Satsuki then be like?" Satsuki is clearly strong and courageous, but how much of her bluntness and... fascism, for lack of a better word, perhaps... were due to having to play a role to fool her mother and later turn on her?

Ryuko is basically a solid shounen hero. Personality-wise, she makes me think a bit of Bleach's Ichigo Kurosaki. She's a good hotblooded main protagonist for a gritty action show like this one. Her bullheadedness and moodiness gives the plot a good forward momentum and gives her a bit of an "everyman" quality that can help make it easier to cheer for a main protagonist and relate to him/her. Ryuko is a fearsome fighter, but her personality is pretty "average Jane", and I think that added a lot to certain scenes (particularly ones involving both Ryuko and Mako/Mako's family).

Satsuki is most definitely not an "everyman" type or an "average Jane", so I have my doubts that a Satsuki/Mako relationship would have rang as true and clear as Ryuko/Mako did during most of the show.

It's nice when your most entertaining character is also your main character (Steins;Gate is a great example of that), but it's not a requirement for a great show or a great story. Many stories work best if your main character is a relatively "normal" person that the audience can easily identify with and get behind, while one or more of the other major characters can bring the coolness, the interest, and the badass-ness.
Old 2014-02-28, 20:44   Link #84
CptChaos

The further the story progresses the more I come to adore the relationship between Satsuki and the Elite Four. While it would work great, I really hope they won't pull out a plot twist where one of them (probably Nonon) turns out to be a traitor.
Old 2014-02-28, 21:38   Link #85
Iron Maw
Banned

Ryuho in Junketsu looks all kinds of wrong on every level.

Hopefully Satsuki and Senketsu, beats her back in her next episode and let this mind-screw drag on. We all know this juts camouflage for whatever Ranygo is truly planning. Though for some reason after learning how Nui was created/born I feel as if she will be the true final boss. Shaky conjecture i know.

Aside from that Satsuki is was pretty damn awesome with that completely over the top Nail-Fu.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-02-28 at 23:26.
Old 2014-02-28, 22:15   Link #86
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

I don't know i kinda like Evil Ryuuko's look. She looks kind of a mix between a demon and a samurai. The red shadow under her eyes and the malevolent grins. She's so hammy and her evil cackling is just so entertainign to hear. I can totally picture Ryuuko's VA having lots of fun with this part of the script.

Unfortunately, Kill la Kill is very fast paced now so it's very likely she'll go back to normal pretty soon. I'll miss Evil Ryuuko.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2014-02-28, 23:42   Link #87
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watanabe43 View Post
Being 'curiously monochrome' in Kill la Kill's overall style could mean a lot, or nothing at all. They were also turning into giant spirals, yet interacting with the regular cast like normal.
It's not so much those two being monochrome as much as it was those two being monochrome when no one else was, and their color not matching the surroundings. Say what you want about production values, but TRIGGER have been completely on the ball when it comes to use of color. And of course there was the whole giant spirals thing. I thought it might actually be Nui as well, but only at first; it was fairly obviously not the real Nui and Ragyo well before the end of the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watanabe43 View Post
And a very good one, but not 100% reliable when you can't quite word the question right.
I just cut and pasted the quote and Googled that. Didn't even remove the ellipsis, exclamation point, or quotation marks. The "Honnouji Incident" Wikipedia page was the first result. You don't really need to "word a question" for Google...
Old 2014-03-01, 00:55   Link #88
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Satsuki looks great in Senketsu. And she dual-wield now.

Ryuko looks terrible in Junketsu.
Old 2014-03-01, 01:00   Link #89
Death Usagi
Banned

Evil Ryuuko reminds me of Shizuri Mugino from ToAru series... maybe because they are both voiced by the same voice actor...
Old 2014-03-01, 01:56   Link #90
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post
Evil Ryuuko reminds me of Shizuri Mugino from ToAru series... maybe because they are both voiced by the same voice actor...
That's why I'm excited about seeing her so much. I want to hear more of what she's going to sound like.

Otherwise, did anyone else feel that Ryuko on her motorcycle for some reason and her style of dress felt like a mix between Auron from Final Fantasy X, Simon from Gurren Lagann, and perhaps Onizuka from GTO, or maybe Princess Garnet from FFIX...?
Old 2014-03-01, 06:05   Link #91
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Can't wait to see what Satsuki would look like in Kamui Senketsu. Ryuko in Junketsu looks pretty weird though. If this series ends with a bang, i think this would probably surpass TTGL for me (which i probably will rewatch after this end to refresh my memory). At first glance, i think KLK just have better pacing between action and narration to keep things moving quickly.
Old 2014-03-01, 12:16   Link #92
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

The first half was considerably slower than TTGL's, though. But i agree that stuff started moving quickly after the battle in Osaka.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2014-03-01, 14:13   Link #93
Kazu-kun

I don't know why you guys are arguing about who's the main character and whatnot, when the writer has stated that Ryuuko and Satsuki are both the main character.

If you think about it, Satsuki was never really an antagonist. If she was, her main conflict would have been with Ryuuko. But that's not true. Her conflict is with her mother. That's her story, and it's her own, independent from Ryuuko's own path (even if right now we see the connections between their stories). All her fights with Ryuuko were always depicted in a way that hinted this. It was always obvious she didn't really have anything against Ryuuko and was basically training her and so on.

I do think Ryuuko was our pov character in the majority of the running, but pov character and main character aren't necessarily the same thing. Anyone who has ever read Sherlock Homes would know that much.
Old 2014-03-01, 15:18   Link #94
Triple_R
*Author

Main characters are on-screen far more often than Satsuki has been, taking the anime as a whole.

Ryuko is the main character of this show.

One thing I don't get about many of my fellow anime fans is their insistence on treating "main character" as some sort of award that ought to be honored to their favorite character, no matter how much (or little) narrative sense it makes to apply that term to their favorite character.

"Main character" is just a classification. It just tells us who the plot is primarily focused on. That's all it says. It's no great award. It doesn't mean "best character" or "coolest character" or "character you have to care about the most". It's perfectly fine if your favorite character is not the main character.
Old 2014-03-01, 17:09   Link #95
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Main characters are on-screen far more often than Satsuki has been, taking the anime as a whole.
But stories don't work that way. For example, in NagiAsu the second part has being focused more on Miuna than Hikari, who was the main character in the first half. Which leads me to the following point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Ryuko is the main character of this show.
Yes, and Satsuki too. Maybe you haven't noticed but she got as much focus as Ryuuko in the second part of the show, if not more.

The main character advance the plot by driving the conflict. But in this series the conflict is separated in two storylines. There's Ryuuko's, which began as a revenge story, and there's Satsuki's, who has been fighting against her mother. The story is comprised by these two storylines, driven by the two main characters of the series. And now everything is coming together, and after Satsuki helps Ryuuko snap out of it we'll probably have a Satsuki+Ryuuko vs Ragyo+Nui last boss fight. The two main characters against the two main villains.

This is all in line with what Nakashima (the writer) says about both being the main character.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-03-01 at 17:22.
Old 2014-03-01, 18:35   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
But stories don't work that way.
No, stories do work that way. The only exceptions are sequels and spin-offs and maybe in-story time-skips. None of that really applies here in Kill La Kill.

And NagiAsu is not a good comparison because there's been no clear POV transition in this show like there's been in NagiAsu.

Quote:
Yes, and Satsuki too.
No, Satsuki is not the main character or co-lead. She simply does not have the amount of screentime that a main character should have. And it's a bit late for such a shift to happen, frankly.

Quote:
Maybe you haven't noticed but she got as much focus as Ryuuko in the second part of the show, if not more.
No, she hasn't had more. There's been no clear-cut shift here. Ryuuko has remained the main POV character for the entire show thus far. It is possible for a show to have co-main leads but this isn't the way you do it.

Quote:
The main character advance the plot by driving the conflict.
Actually, conflict is often driven by the main antagonist. The main protagonist often responds to what the main antagonist is doing. Simply driving the plot doesn't make you the main character. The main character has to be the character with the most plot focus (i.e. essentially, the most screentime, and that's clearly Ryuuko over the work as a whole).
Old 2014-03-01, 18:37   Link #97
Kazu-kun

I see we won't see eye to eye on this. I think Nakashima is right. Both girls are main characters. To each their own I guess.
Old 2014-03-01, 18:42   Link #98
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I see we won't see eye to eye on this. I think the writer is right.
You keep talking about what the writer supposedly said. I'd like a link to a verbatim quote, please.

Because I definitely don't see how Satsuki could reasonably be considered co-main lead. On the whole, Ryuko has had way more screentime and narrative focus than Satsuki has, and there's been no clear POV transition (unlike Nagi no Asukara).

If you asked any casual viewer of this show who the main character is, they'd answer "Ryuko", likely without any hesitation.
Old 2014-03-01, 19:00   Link #99
Kazu-kun

Focus doesn't mean screentime. The series built up Satsuki's story in a more subtle way in the first half of the series to keep the mystery. But after episode 17 (I think) is all about her.

Anyway, the series will prove me right when Satsuki and Ryuuko team up to fight Ragyo and Nui. And Satsuki will be the one to fight Ragyo, because there wouldn't be anything more deliciously ironic than Ragyo being defeated by the daughter she believes inferior. On the other hand Ryuuko will fight Nui, because she's the killer of her father and also her "soul sister." The buildup is all there.

Quote:
You keep talking about what the writer supposedly said. I'd like a link to a verbatim quote, please.
I'll send it by PM later.
Old 2014-03-01, 19:37   Link #100
CptChaos

Now what if they'll actually keep the current situation until the very end with their protagonist/antagonist roles switched? At least that's one thing you don't see too often, and it might work well here.
Closed Thread