AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 10 12.20%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 34.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 26.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 14.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 7.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.22%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-11-20, 14:38   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, Episode 8.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 15:18   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for ep 8:
Old 2009-11-20, 15:49   Link #3
Joe_fh

Lol it's already out and subbed. That was really fast.
I'll watch it tomorrow but from the preview last time it looked really interesting because it seemd like the plot will be finally moving. Or more like it will become more claer since the episodes this far only gave little hints - some of them were pretty obvious though.
Joe_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 16:01   Link #4
Estaron
*Fansubber

Strangely they changed the fami-resu scene quite a lot.
They had to make up another filler character.
Oh well... at least they included some action...
Estaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 16:38   Link #5
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Sooooo........

What the heck????

This actually is supposed to be the family restaurant scene with Touma, as this is where Mikoto does her "sweet girl" routine to try and get some info on level upper............but why'd the change it so drastically? I have no problems with them changing stuff but............why no Touma? Why are the punks here different?

Those were some of my initial thoughts anyway, but upon some thinking there might actually be some logic to this chaos. In the original Index anime, the way the "Touma tries to save delinquets from Mikoto" scene was done clearly showed that it was just Mikoto being hit on by some random punks, and then the Railgun manga version of the scene retconned the scene a bit by adding Kuroko and making it look like the scene had some other stuff happeneing. Maybe JC Staff is trying to divide the two events, making this scene in this episode its own seperate scene, then redo-ing the "Touma tries to save delinquets" scene later so it's actually not a retcon of the Index anime they created themselves.

That's the only way I can rationally explain what they did here; otherwise, they basically "butchered" the scene for no reason, and I'd rather think the former than the latter.

Unfortunately, they gave us a "freak of the week" "villain." At least it's better than the travesty that was "eyebrow girl," but I have an innate hatred of "freak of the week" villains due to plot-screwups caused by the aforementioned villain-type in previous series-es. But like I said, at least the villain didn't keel over without a fight.

So we have (limited to serious points and putting aside any fan-ravings such as Mikoto's moe-mode )

Pluses:
- Some minor/mediocre plot advancement
- We actually get an opponent that can put up a pretty good fight

Minuses:
- Possibly a "butchering" of another nice Touma scene (hopefully they're just doing that to avoid retconning their own Index anime, as explained above)
- "Freak of the week" opponent. Ugh.

On the super-bright-side, we get the second of the three manga chapters that I've been dying to see animated next episode. Please don't mess around with this one and just leave it be, JC Staff. >.> The preview shots look promising in that regard, though.

7/10
Old 2009-11-20, 17:43   Link #6
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Maybe this is a different even from the Touma restaurant scene.

The brain freeze scene was hilarious, and also in the restaurant with Mikoto's moe routine and Kuroko's head-banging. XD
Old 2009-11-20, 17:48   Link #7
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki-ism View Post
Maybe this is a different even from the Touma restaurant scene.
No, it's the same one. In the Railgun manga, all this is the same with the exception of different thugs being there and Touma showing up.

Manga-speaking, of course. As I said, this may be JC Staff "fixing" up the "retcon" in the Railgun manga.
Old 2009-11-20, 18:19   Link #8
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Oh noessss! I thought we would get some preaching scene by that guy who always seems to be in the right/wrong place, but instead, he got replaced by some throw-away(?) anime-original character.
GJ, JC

Another great episode, with a hilarious scene of Mikoto acting "cute" and Kuroko killing herself over it while Ruiko and Kazari has a low-level (in a power-meaning) conversation.
Ahhhh....................... Ruiko...

Speaking of Kazari... Hah!? She took off those flowers?! Dun dun dun...!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 18:33   Link #9
BlueDo

NOOOOOOOO
Touma didn't come to the restaurant!
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 19:37   Link #10
JaLooNz
Longtime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDo View Post
NOOOOOOOO
Touma didn't come to the restaurant!
Why???? I was looking forward to that!
JaLooNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 19:52   Link #11
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Those were some of my initial thoughts anyway, but upon some thinking there might actually be some logic to this chaos. In the original Index anime, the way the "Touma tries to save delinquets from Mikoto" scene was done clearly showed that it was just Mikoto being hit on by some random punks, and then the Railgun manga version of the scene retconned the scene a bit by adding Kuroko and making it look like the scene had some other stuff happeneing. Maybe JC Staff is trying to divide the two events, making this scene in this episode its own seperate scene, then redo-ing the "Touma tries to save delinquets" scene later so it's actually not a retcon of the Index anime they created themselves.
On the other hand, the blackout is a fairly important after-effect of this scene, and they left that part in. Either they have her create another blackout later which would feel kind of silly or they're just ignoring the fact that these two series are supposed to be connected. Personally, I feel like retconning the blackout right now is more egregious than the original retcon of what was going on in the restaurants, which always felt more clever than anything else.

Other than that though, a decent episode. I like the fact that the plot's moving forward. And the fight scene was pretty cool too. I like the image of her walking down the wall with the electricity. It was cool enough to feel powerful yet clumsy enough to feel authentic, in a certain way.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 20:13   Link #12
Joe_fh

I agree with Shinji - they really "butchered" the scene for no reason. Or in other words they cut the link between Index and Railgun for no reason at all.
It was sad to skip that great moment but I guess we can't get everything - at leas we got the moe Misaka scene And I'm not really sure if this is the place to complain for inconsistencies witht he manga

About the episode and events in it. In short:

We got some good plot development - now we know that thre is such a thing as a level upper.
We also saw that the people that used the level upper are now in some kind of coma but are alive and ok.
And yet again we saw Saten and her infiriority complex developing really fast especially in the first and last minutes of the episode. This time at least Uiharu tried to cheer her up even if she didn't do her best.
Also Saten found a "secret" (yeah was that really a secret link with half the title changing color ) to what seemed to be the level upper.

The "bad guy" was again sort of a joke like the eybrow girl but a bit more serious this time around. Nothing much but we gat to see Biri-biri walk on walls And if they could learn what they wanted by beating them up (like what happened in the) end why didn't Kuroko just arest the gang leader or even the members at the resturant and question them? That didn't really make sense and leaving the leader staring at the big hole in front of her was also strange. So did they get their info in the end? If they did wouldn't they know all about the level upper way too early (it's only the 8th episode) since learning all about it in the first episode that they mention it not as a urban legend but as a real thing is wierd considering how slowly things were going until now.

The preview - if they do it right it will be really great. I really hope the don't go all original on us again for no real reson. There seemed to be a lot going on during the next episode so maybe it will take more than one episode to cover everything. That would make the events in the anime feel more connected since with this episode everything that happened start to slowly come together and a clifhanger would be a refreshing thing to see in here.
I believe the next part has a lot of potential for bot character development, action and there's even room for original stuff that can be added without disrupting the flow of the story.

Overall it was a nice entertaining episode.
Joe_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 20:26   Link #13
Xacual

Honestly I think its possible we may go back to the restaurant later to see the same scene that was in Index anime? At least that's what I'm hoping

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 20:41   Link #14
Eater of All
NOM

Looks like things are sucking pretty badly for Saten. Going to Academy City all pumped up about her ability only to get the label of Level Zero like that will definitely make one feel pretty despondent. At least she can confide in Uiharu for now.

As for the episode itself, I guess it was pretty entertaining. Things are starting to get interesting as it seems the Level Upper might have some nasty side effects, not just all fun and game. Uncovering the whole mystery behind it (including the technobabble; love them) is going to be a crazy ride.

Also, I didn't even notice Touma was supposed to be in the restaurant until people pointed it out. I'm sure it would've been a nice treat if they'd made the connection, but to be honest I don't really care either way now that it's come to past....
Old 2009-11-20, 21:35   Link #15
ReddyRedWolf

Did Kuroko just knock herself out?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 21:44   Link #16
Miraluka
Banned

Looks like some users are missing Touma he got the third place in the Oricon Rant, Why I wonder?
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 22:02   Link #17
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Also, I didn't even notice Touma was supposed to be in the restaurant until people pointed it out. I'm sure it would've been a nice treat if they'd made the connection, but to be honest I don't really care either way now that it's come to past....
It's not so much Touma didn't appear, as much as this episode is supposed to be something of a linking point between the Index and Railgun storlyines. It should have marked the beginning scene of episode 1 of Index, but then they changed it for some reason, which I'm hoping is because they want to change the "retcon" of the manga version of this by having Touma's family restaurant scene later, thereby making the link without the "retcon" in the Railgun manga. But as Clarste said, that would feel a bit odd to have two seperate family-restaurant-thug scenes followed by widespread blackout lightning bolts.....
Old 2009-11-20, 22:06   Link #18
ReddyRedWolf

Is it just me or did Kuroko offhandly mention a pyrokinetic incident. Stiyl anybody?

Which means by this time Index is in the city.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 22:07   Link #19
Fawx9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
It's not so much Touma didn't appear, as much as this episode is supposed to be something of a linking point between the Index and Railgun storlyines. It should have marked the beginning scene of episode 1 of Index, but then they changed it for some reason, which I'm hoping is because they want to change the "retcon" of the manga version of this.
Wouldn't that mean they'd need to explain 2 blackouts then? Sure its possible, but the 'retcon' in the manga wasn't that huge I think to warrant such a change to it.
Fawx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 22:08   Link #20
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Is it just me or did Kuroko offhandly mention a pyrokinetic incident. Stiyl anybody?

Which means by this time Index is in the city.
She's talking about the first episode. Stiyl wouldn't be registered as any level of psychic anyway, so it wouldn't make any sense for her to mention him in that context, even if she did know about him, which she almost certainly doesn't. So no.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote