Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-04-25, 03:43   Link #21
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Whats a handkerchief?

I usually go out with a tissue stocker .. Her handbag usually have an extra packet
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 04:13   Link #22
real folk blues..

you know in those high school movies, where there's always someone who's a freakshow? unfortunately, we had a real one in my high school last time.
so this keeps an hankerchief with him..so what?
apparently, he has a bad case of runny nose.. his nose would leak like a tap i tell you. so he keeps his hankerchief in his shirt pocket
so anyway, during our graduation, while we were waiting in line for our names to be called..i caught a glimpse of him.. his shirt was wet, soaking from what appears to be his hankerchief..
1.0.7. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 09:18   Link #23
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
A handkerchief is practically a necessity in those hot and humid summer days here in Japan. Ever see sweat streaking down balding middle aged men in overcrowded trains? It pretty disgusting too see the oozing oily sweat slowly eating away at their hair follicles.
But thankfully, there are people who hand out tissue packets - even with the ads inserted in the packaging - on the streets. I do carry a hankerchief sometimes, but otherwise, disposable tissues are more handy, IMHO. Not really sure that I want my hankerchief back after someone else has used it, truthfully...

And thank you very much, kj1980, for that great image your words just put into my head.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 09:48   Link #24
Red-Razor
Shuffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira_lacusXX
k, im a girl and i was just wondering to the guys out there, do you carry handkerchiefs around with you? b/c in a lot of romantic movies, anime, cartoon, reality tv show, etc., the guy is always the one with the handkerchief to give to the girl when they are crying. Ive always thought girls were the one who carry handkerchiefs and tissues and their everything with them, but guys? so im just wondering, do you?

just a thought that suddenly popped up in my mind one day, wanted to see if you guys do carry them...
reality is not like that :P
atleas nobody on my school (i think) has a handkerchief whit him to give to a girl :P
Red-Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 10:15   Link #25
hakasan

Hahahahah in this age and time, I dont think guys take hankies with them, nor gals. We are in the era of TISSUES!!!! I'm a gal, I will be wary if a guy offer his hankie to me. The first thoughts are: what have he used it on? Have he blown his nose in it? He must have wiped his hands on it after using the loo. Mm....... so many questions. Just say I'm a very paranoid person!
hakasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 10:17   Link #26
Lost

Spoiler:
My big dry "hanky" (i supposed its more of a cloth/towel) that I carry in my bag everywhere I go (too big too fit in pocket without being suspicious ). Needless to say, after a day out at school, it starts stinking up the inside of my bag. I don't think a dying girl would touch my hanky, much less a crying girl. But yeah on the question, I am a guy who carries a hanky around. Just not a gentlemanly one
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 14:16   Link #27
Taboo
Riceball!

Send a message via Yahoo to Taboo
I live in Oklahoma and it gets pretty humid here. I know my dad always carries around a handkerchief as well. But it does seem a little old fashioned.

Despite the fact that I have inherited lots of beautiful "hankies" I never carry them with me even as a girl. I barely remember my mom handing them to my sister and I the day of funerals, but I am sure we only used them for tears.

If I have a cold, then I will carry a pack of tissues but only if I am sick. Otherwise, I carry around as little in my purse as possible. (Typically just my cell, wallet, pen and maybe my keys if my pants/skirt doesn't have pockets.)

As far as the sentimental result, most nice gestures that a guy does to a girl in need elicits similiar emotions . Think of all the broken sandal and hurt ankle/carrying home scenes. Thinking that a guy is there for you and will help/shelter/comfort/protect/care/etc will be touching to a lot of girls. A handkerchief, however, can be conveniently taken home to wash and then doted on until it's return.
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 15:19   Link #28
DaFool
Resident devil

Left back pocket: Handkerchief for blowing my nose.
Left back inner pocket: Couple of wads of tissue paper for situations like being stuck in a public restroom with no toilet paper

Right back pocket: Handkerchief to absorb sweat (usually smells like acid)

Yes, I'm a guy. Yes, I carry tons of hankies / napkins around. But there's no frikin way I'm going to give these smelly moulding %*$#%( to a girl.

That stuff you see, it's all fiction.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 15:24   Link #29
kira_lacusXX
LOVELY☆COMPLEX

well, thank god for tissues, thank god for tempo!! :P
kira_lacusXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 20:57   Link #30
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
I carry a Hankerchief most of the time, not always, but most of the time.

its not plain tho, its emblazened with the Japanese Rising Sun
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 23:03   Link #31
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
k, im a girl and i was just wondering to the guys out there, do you carry handkerchiefs around with you? b/c in a lot of romantic movies, anime, cartoon, reality tv show, etc., the guy is always the one with the handkerchief to give to the girl when they are crying. Ive always thought girls were the one who carry handkerchiefs and tissues and their everything with them, but guys? so im just wondering, do you?
Well, good to see an old-style girl who actually cares for things like that. Here in the states, if a common girl is crying, 80% of the time is because her broyfriend cheated on her, 35% because she's pregnant, 50% because "her parents suck", 20% because she has lost the totally-cool-shopping-spree-last-week-and-her-arch-rival-bought-great-stuff-and-is-now-making-fun-of-her.

Notice the overlapping percentages? It's because a lot of the time they're all mixed up :P

And notice the "normal" in bold there. As for normal, I mean the usual, biggest chunk of the female pop. that I see in here. (I'm skeptical, I know, but hell with it.)

As for me, I don't carry one around. Probably because I normally don't stay for long in areas without A/Cing, as I'm pretty vulnerable to heat. And also because I can't say anything to anyone while they're crying; even to people in my family.

Shonen-otaku anyone?

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 23:09   Link #32
Mincemaker
Hmmm?

Most girls I know have their own hankies/tissues. Why should I let them have mine then?

Yes, I'm irromantic. Never known to be a romantic person in real life. Real polite, yes. Charming? No.
Mincemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 08:44   Link #33
shiro83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira_lacusXX

just a thought that suddenly popped up in my mind one day, wanted to see if you guys do carry them...
No. I don't. I carry tissue paper instead. Wipe -> Throw -> End of Story. I think girls, in my country, carry tissue paper too.
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 11:23   Link #34
Vaines
Imagination's fool

Send a message via MSN to Vaines
I only use tissues not in paper to blow my nose, because I want to protect nature, and there are 270000 trees cut every day for handkerchiefs and toilet paper, and it terrifies me.
Vaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 16:21   Link #35
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

To put simply, a guy carrying a hankerchief is almost like a grl carrying a few condoms in her purse...you never know what's gonna happen
Legend Ver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 16:49   Link #36
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwArD
Hmm...I bring hankerchief with me every single day since my mum told me to ever since I'm in school so I'm kinda used to it already. Furthermore, unless you bring boxes of tissues along with you everyday, a hankerchief is a must here in Singapore. The weather here is simply unbearable.
Interesting note: Back home in Singapore, I used to carry a handkerchief around whenever I even thought about stepping outside the house. It's something that's been ingrained in me since as long as I can remember, and it's proven useful (to myself) plenty of times.

However, once I moved to the US, I still carry a handkerchief around in my pocket, but I've not yet once used it for anything other than wiping my glasses.

I'd never offer a girl (or anyone else) my handkerchief (unhygienic), which is why I keep at least one unopened packet of tissues on my person at all times.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 17:37   Link #37
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

Hankerchief? For me, it's only used as a style to be worn in my breast pocket, like a tie clip. You don't have to have one, but it looks nice.

I prefer using disposable tissues for all other occassions.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 23:23   Link #38
slayer
essense

Send a message via MSN to slayer
handkerchiefs huh... I personally do not carry one I use tissue pack. Out of the many guys at my school I know, I know only one who carries handkerchiefs everyone else uses tissue packs lol. I noticed that some of the people who are of hot climate countries are more likely to carry hankys than people from say US or Canada. Tissue pack is way to go nowadays.. if you offer a girl a hanky she probably thinks its a smelly table rag lol
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote