AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-19, 16:38   Link #441
wao
OK.

Just watched episode 3. (tee hee I love n*covideo) Got up extra early for once just to watch it...

...and well, it was on a small screen but let's just say my fears of the quality going down were appeased after all. Phew. I found it a good ep - once again nothing flashy that stands out but at the end of the episode you've got this solid and satisfied feeling, and of course you're dying to see what happens next.

Hei is such a goddamn sweet-talker though. Oh god,
Spoiler for ep3:

One of the biggest revelations this episode must have been
Spoiler for ep 3:

OK so verdict = good, I want to watch next episode. Glad that the script wasn't as bad as I thought (and I was worried about next ep's animation but from the preview it looks like it won't be bad?).

Wait, hold on a 'sec, I forgot entirely - allow me to have a Fangirl Moment (tm):

Spoiler:

Last edited by wao; 2007-04-19 at 17:20.
Old 2007-04-19, 18:30   Link #442
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Aww, episode 3 was such a nice little moody episode. I liked it a lot for all the small things it had. In no particular order, but these were the really awesome moments that made me happy:

- Mai's firestarter routine in the alley and the way she was putting the flames out with her school bag.

- Mao's misadventures with the Granny kairinin.

- The scenes near the Hell's gate were amazingly gruesome. They've set the mood quite nicely there.

- The scene where Lee and Mai walk on the bridge and cars move to and fro beneath them.

- The scene where Lee and Mai walk by the bridge and, unlike in regular anime, it's done not as a close-up panning shot, but taken rather from afar.

- Lee's lolicon onii-chan techniques which he executed like a pro

- The japanese nationalist's take on evil foreign spies, as the majority of the contractors seem to be those pesky gaijin.

I loved the artistic approach to this episode, the way they've structured the shots and I loved the way the episode segued into the ending song that was so fitting to appropriate.
Old 2007-04-19, 21:14   Link #443
dxgarten

Episode 03 screenshots and summary

Spoiler:

Last edited by dxgarten; 2007-04-20 at 11:01.
Old 2007-04-20, 02:34   Link #444
Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
OK so verdict = good, I want to watch next episode. Glad that the script wasn't as bad as I thought
I agree with pretty much everything wao and MrProphet said, and would like to emphasize that that opening scene was particularly good. I'd be very happy with this show if we could get more stuff like that with every mini-arc.
Old 2007-04-20, 04:32   Link #445
issei

wow. the opening scene used some of the most familiar zombie flick tropes in such a great way. and only a scant few minutes later, i'm laughing at hei's "i've never eaten it, but it's probably delicious" line. and the teamwork details throughout the episode give me a "mission impossible"-vibe.

but the part of the episode that had the most impact for me was
Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-21, 03:49   Link #446
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
kkkyyyaaa hei in black T-shirt (like to see man in black t-shirt)
the beginning of episode was so creepy
Old 2007-04-21, 07:46   Link #447
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
finally found some time to watch the first 2 eps and i must say its quite impressive ~ the mood is dark and mysterious but not over the top creepy than lets say hellsing ~ the main character is interesting leading a false life (being forced to be two faced for the sake of survival)...its going good so far :3 (but that guy teleporting chiaki's heart made me depressed >.<)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-21, 07:58   Link #448
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Is Seiji Takeda involved in this or something? I recall seeing him name pop up here once, and seeing ebil gaijins in anime never ceases to amuse me.

Episode 3 was once again a solid episode, though there's something missing in it's bi-episodic execution that's not really making me properly enjoy it...Maybe cause it's too Hei-tastic. I was kinda hoping episode 3 would have more involvement from other recurring cast members other than selling cigarettes, but there's still ways to go, so it's okay.

The one thing that keeps me to this so far is probably seeing James Black playing hanky panky with enemy/Contractor/Doll femme fatales. That being said, I sincerely hope Mai won't die even if the preview did nothing but give me bad vibes.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-04-21, 08:18   Link #449
wao
OK.

Yup, he's involved in the planning for the anime and he's the one who came up with the title too...

At least for now I'm glad that it isn't really blatant here. I do enjoy watching how anime tries to be a little more global these days... while still being relevant to their target audience. I don't think this is so much of a Takeda-soapbox type of anime though.
Old 2007-04-21, 14:38   Link #450
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Is Seiji Takeda involved in this or something? I recall seeing him name pop up here once, and seeing ebil gaijins in anime never ceases to amuse me.

Episode 3 was once again a solid episode, though there's something missing in it's bi-episodic execution that's not really making me properly enjoy it...Maybe cause it's too Hei-tastic. I was kinda hoping episode 3 would have more involvement from other recurring cast members other than selling cigarettes, but there's still ways to go, so it's okay.

The one thing that keeps me to this so far is probably seeing James Black playing hanky panky with enemy/Contractor/Doll femme fatales. That being said, I sincerely hope Mai won't die even if the preview did nothing but give me bad vibes.
I'm waiting for the subs but I also liked what I saw of episode 3. I really like the global approach with multiple nationalities making it feel larger, especially since I don't get the feeling that they are using it in a superficial way. They aren't making the multiple nationalities over the top and instead seem to be using it to show that not just this one area is effected and lots of people are converging on this location.

I do hope that after these first two stories we will get a broader focus on the whole team and relax a tiny bit from the Hei-centric focus. I won't really mind if they stay with it a bit longer since he's rather interesting to watch with the two-facedness he has to pull off to get close to others (and we get to think about how much of his true self is in both of his outward personas), but the other characters seem like they could be great too and I'd love to start learning a bit more about them as soon as possible Despite having less screen time than in episode 2, I did enjoy that we were actually shown them actively doing things relating to the case (Huang reading the paper as he spied, Mao being around just like he was in part 1 of the first story, Yin not much but she was shown at the water more in part 1 of the first story) more often in part 1 of this story than we were shown in part 1 of the first story.

I'm looking forwards to the subs so I can understand the dialogue with the landlady holding up Mao lol.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-21 at 22:09.
Old 2007-04-22, 03:13   Link #451
Joojoobees

Quote:
And if you were wondering who that swimsuit lady was
Yes, a happy surprise. She looks great in goggles, too.
Old 2007-04-22, 06:21   Link #452
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Hei is such a goddamn sweet-talker though. Oh god,
Spoiler for ep3:
That was magical indeed. I wasn't expected such a whimsical moment after such a dark opening. The other surprise was the verve given to the animation of Mai's rebuke on the bridge; that was quite wonderfully directed. Also I just loved Mao's 'I hate pretending to be a real cat' expressions when the landlady caught him

Quote:
Spoiler:
That made my day. Though it was a shame she only had a 30s cameo this episode.
Old 2007-04-22, 08:25   Link #453
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 3
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-22, 08:57   Link #454
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Looks like Hell's Gate is aptly named.... pretty much a scene from hell.

Episode 3 is pretty ok, a bit slow pace but ends with a nice cliffhanger at the end with lots of mystery to be answered. (the flower, the seed in Mai's wrist, Moratorium (another form of contractor) )
Old 2007-04-22, 10:01   Link #455
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Holy crap, the 3rd episode was great!

This is my favorite show of the season. And if this anime continues like this, it'll be one of my favorite shows of all time. I finally got a hold of the fansub and I felt violated. When the episode timer hit 20 minutes; I felt like I had been watching for ten minutes. This only happens when I'm really enjoying something so much that I lose track of the time.
Old 2007-04-22, 11:56   Link #456
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I just heard the opening theme and its now on auto-loop on my computer. Why is it the male sung songs always seem to sound so much better than female ones these days. What are the girls missing? I think its the difference in instruments for me, with the men the instruments are just as important as the vocals, but the women are for the most part idols these day so its all about their singing and the songs are mass-produced to fit their voice. Except Jinn. Anyway great opening theme both in the music and in the visuals. Especially like the scrolling title card which reminds me of Batman for some reason.
Old 2007-04-22, 12:52   Link #457
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Li is truly an interesting character...it never fails to amaze me that he is able to be so kind while at the back of my head i just konw what his hidden alter ego is capable of doing...
Yeah, it's like he is actually trying to be friendly with his neighbors. I think Li genuinely cares about people, but then Hei has to do a job, and Li gets put back in the box.
Old 2007-04-22, 12:59   Link #458
kauldron26
Med Student

wow this was a pretty phenomenal eps. i keep getting the cowboy bebop vibe from this show, and i love it. but it is supremely frustrating dl an episode u've been dying to watch and it then turns out to be an h264 file that your computer struggles to play. As much as i was loving this episode, it just kept on freezing, and then i would switch to mpc, then to vlc, shit just wont change. to be able to play these files fluidly, do i need a bigger memory?? all i have is 512mb

Darker than Black or Romeo and Juliet, which will be the spring king??
Old 2007-04-22, 13:22   Link #459
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Darker than Black and Bokurano.

PS// You should get CoreAVC.
Old 2007-04-22, 13:37   Link #460
kauldron26
Med Student

my laptop couldnt even play that scene when mai flips out and foes firestarter. ive tried to see everal times, but the screen either skips it or turns into blocks. so annoying.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, supernatural