AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-06-02, 11:14   Link #121
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

I admit, I'm 6-feet tall and creepy looking. I have a sick sense of humor and my family pegs me with pedo-jokes all the time. It's probably my (lack of) style, but I find it funny anyway. So I carry the label like a joke and those who know me see me as a harmless lunatic Anime fan. And, no, that's not my van, it's just part of the joke, I drive a Ram SRT...

I frequent one B&N almost every Friday and let the people behind the counter know it's because they didn't pull titles like another B&N I know. That was nearly three years ago. Now, I'm a regular there with the same routine; scan the Manga shelf, grab the new releases I want, give a quick 'howdy' to the staff, pay, and leave. They never treat me any different if I buy Fruits Basket, XXXHolic, or Yubisaki Milk Tea. They only see me once a week, but they care about my patronage. I'm frequently asked what I'm anticipating in new titles. We get along well.

There are times when my work schedule stretches and I show up after 4pm when the school crowd hits the mall. So one day I get there and start my scan... With about a dozen spoiled urchins lining the shelf reading Naruto or grouping around a Mahoromatic while giggling. (Where are the parents?) I don't always know what's new, so I scan all the titles I'm keeping up with. Nothing new, so I start walking out...

Only to be stopped by an atrocious soccer mom (oh, there's one) wondering why I "so blatantly went to the kids' book section to get my rocks off". I'm typically avoidant, so I say I'm here for the books but they don't have any new ones. She's all worked up, I want to leave, and one of the sales people show up. Needless to say, I'm NOT the one who was kicked out along with about a third of the urchins and I discovered some copies of Negima Vol.13 on the once-covered shelf. They got their money, I got my Maho-Sensei on, and one more psycho feels like she "protected the children".

If Kodomo No Jikan (Nymphette) ever gets published. I'm sure this place will stock it. If we weren't such a "ZoMG! SCARY PEOPLE BAD! DIFFERENT PEOPLE SCARY!" kind of society, I would have the book by now a would probably be screaming my head off with laughter. I'm a sucker for dirty jokes, my wife loves me for that.

...And, who says "get your rocks off" anymore? I'm sorry, it just stuck...
CandyVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 11:54   Link #122
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Good for you.... I'd have probably asked soccer-mom what kind of dirty mind-goblins SHE has. Seriously, the ones with the worst mind-goblins are the most idiotically righteous.

When I'm checking out the manga, I frequently get approached by young people who are just massively flipping happy that SOME ADULT understands them when they talk about the things they love. Why is that so god damned hard for parents to go halfway and actually take an interest in their child's activities? Oh noes, they might actually expand their horizons.

(rant, froth, argh, spittle...)
Old 2007-06-02, 13:19   Link #123
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well they mostly identify it as a cartoons - a thing that will surely pass away with an age. Howver, not all cartoons passaway with an age, more so about anime. But for them its something that should pass very soon so tahts why they do not take notice, unless something like "Kodomo No Jikan"appears and then parents begin with "ZOMG! Kill it with fire! It destroys our families, eats our children and degenerate our culture! ZOMG! Die! Die! Die!" or something like that.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 14:01   Link #124
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I find the "parents think comics are for kids" meme fascinating... its like some sort of time stasis field.

Comics weren't really even "for kids" when I started reading Marvel back in the 1960s. It takes about 5 minutes of research to understand that anime and manga are read and made for all ages in Japan. WHO ARE THESE PARENTS? Its been 40-f*scking years since I was a kid.

Not a parent alive today wasn't a kid when comics stopped being "for kids" (not that they ever really were). Yet what Darknemo says is true --- so I can only assume they're all Pod People, yeah thats it.

Old 2007-06-02, 14:46   Link #125
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I never read/cared about Kodomo no Jikan untilled I caught a whiff that something was amiss about it (still haven't read it, but I plan to), but from reading nearly this entire thread... I can't figure out for the life of me why Seven Seas didn't just sell the thing direct online. If the retailers got spooked, which is rediculous (like Vexx pointed out) because this appears to be the exact same thing as Lolita only now with over-the-top humor and pictures (and I can walk into B&N, pick that book up, and never get so much as a funny glance as I walk to the register. Heck, I got weird looks buying Yotsuba&! when it was still being released) then why not eliminate them? The internet is a medium for getting things out as well as shutting them down.

I used to find Answerman at least mildly amusing, but knowing that he made this big of a stink over something so rediculous when he could have been crusading against the extremely explicit BL series that keep paddling their way over here really makes me wonder. I'm a pretty conservative Christian type myself (don't get involved in politics, though), so it's interesting to see which moral issues get attention and which don't these days. Homosexuality is pretty heavily condemned in the Bible, but in the last ten or so years its become such that, if you find something wrong with it, there's actually something wrong with you. So now the target of people who like to raise a stink about such things is this paedophilia thing, with anyone who even glances at a kid a second too long being dragged out behind the barn and shot in the name of protecting our children. This is almost irrelevant here, since no real children are involved at all, and therefore there's no one to protect but the reader. Such people are afraid of one or all of these: That people will accidentally buy this for their eleven-year-old (these people should be forbidden to have children, not researching the kind of entertainment their children are exposed to - especially if they're that concerned about exposing them to things they consider harmful), that people with "special tastes" will get off on it and go out and grab themselves a real kid (like was mentioned before, they would have done it anyway with or without KnJ), or that this will convert otherwise normal people into paedophiles who will go out and try to snag the real thing. That last one is the only slightly legitimate excuse, and even it's pretty flimsy - especially considering that things like A Clockwork Orange have been popping up on highschool reading lists lately, which I think is far more disconcerting than a manga version of the very risque, but ultimately harmless, Lolita.
I'm sure even if was sold online, some Mother's Against Whatever group would find a way to make a stink about it. As for cancelling Kodomo No Jikan, Seven Seas better hope they can negotiate some sort of refund on the license (if that's even possible) or they are doing more damage to their small business operation then if they were to just release the product to the market, take some flack and make some profit.

As for AnswerMan, somehow I don't think he actually cares about what happens with KnJ, but picked a random hot button issue and example and is using it to propel himself into the spotlight, like a certain Anti-Video Game Lawyer. He kind of started off as as a Frasier Crane style friendly consultant, but ended up turning into a sensationalist columnist claiming to be an advice giver like Ann Landers. I still read his column, but I think sometimes he's doing more harm to the anime community than he claims lolicon will do if it enters the mainstream american anime/manga market.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 18:22   Link #126
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Perhaps all of you can judge whether the series deserve the flame it's been getting after all the inital chapters consisiting of Vol.1 along with the 2 pilots chapter that catapult it to fame has been translated and released

As of now, 5/7 of the Vol.1 Chapters and Part 1 of the pilot chapters is out. Part 2 of the pilot chapter is currently in progress of editing. Chapter 6's translation is done and Chapter 7's translation is getting along fine.

And just to make a point that I'm not just a guy banking on fame on the flame of the series, but seeking to spread the gospel :-

See ? I'm a fan and had been collecting everything related to the series. I have with me the original Japanese manga Tankōbon, with the Taiwan Chinese Edition along the figures.

Only thing missing is the 1/6 Rin (Pre-Ordered). And the monthly Comic High Issues. (Noy avaliable for subscribtion here,sadly)
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 19:11   Link #127
grgspunk

Here's the first five chapters for those who need to read from the start:

http://rapidshare.com/files/33627467...o_no_Jikan.rar
grgspunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 00:38   Link #128
Jiji
*Scanlator

Dunno if this is new info to everyone or not, and keep in mind I got this from 4chan--hardly a "news source", but...

The author of Kodomo no Jikan

Watashiya Kaworu (私屋 カヲル)
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 00:50   Link #129
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
Dunno if this is new info to everyone or not, and keep in mind I got this from 4chan--hardly a "news source", but...

The author of Kodomo no Jikan

Watashiya Kaworu (私屋 カヲル)
That has already been pointed out :-

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...8&postcount=59

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2007-06-03 at 01:06.
Old 2007-06-03, 01:08   Link #130
BOZZY

Whoa... That's surprising... A woman wrote this? o.O
BOZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 01:20   Link #131
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, that's probably why it has such good characterization and story depth rather than just peekaboo trashy humor. She puts a lot of care into her creations from what I've seen.

I thought the author's gender was somewhat common knowledge considering the firestorm over this.
Old 2007-06-03, 02:28   Link #132
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I'm on Period 3 right now and thought I'd post a little on the first two:

Period 0:
Spoiler:

Period 0.5:
Spoiler:

Period 1:
Spoiler:

Period 2:
Spoiler:

Honestly I've seen more lolicon moments in Negima with Evangeline and the twins. The only complaint about the manga I have is that the storytelling is a fair bit disjointed, sometimes appearing to inexplicably jump ahead in the course of events from panel to panel on the same page.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-06-04 at 11:55.
Old 2007-06-03, 02:50   Link #133
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I've just completed the first volume.

Now I'm really, really upset about this. Before I was just irritated, but now I'm beginning to feel like Kaioshin what with these notions of conspiracy theories forming in my head.

Spoiler for safety:
Therefore, the only people who would get worked up about this whilst still being insightful are likely to have some sort of political agenda (*cough*Jack Thompson*cough*) or have been brainwashed by the media into thinking that any man who shows a fondness for a child that is not related to them (or shows a strong attachment to one that is) must be plotting all sorts of sneaky dealings in the shadows - yes, CandyVanMan's story made me want to cry, fear for for humanity, and kill something all at once. I won't even bother getting into my 'most people who are attracted to children don't touch them' spiel, since the material in question isn't lolicon and would drive us way off topic and probably ignite a violent flame war.

If you're still around after all that rambling, I'll conclude by saying this: seeing this title burned at the stake (this was a textbook case if a witchhunt if I ever saw one) only further proves the ignorance of the many, their susceptibility to suggestion by sensationalist syndicated programming in disguise the media, and the few shameless enough to exploit these traits to further their popularity and/or career. Just the fact that something like this was written by a woman should be enough to make people stop, squint, and start digging for more information. I could go on for pages, but no one would read, and so there would be no point, so I'll stop there.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 03:06   Link #134
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I was beginning to feel a bit lonely on a few forums because most people were too busy adding gasoline to the pyre .... glad to see those posts.

You know, these books could contain absolute garbage and I'd still defend their right to exist. But this series was completely and unjustly martyred and thrown to the flames of the mob. Couple that with the waves of anti-intellectualism and critical thinking failures in other areas of my society and I get the sense I'm in some wierd vertical channel version of a Dark Age.

Many thanks to the ad-hoc scanlators for all the hard work.
Old 2007-06-03, 03:09   Link #135
GammaRed

You know, I cant help but beleave, that dispite the fact that on this forum at least, KNJ's author is female is commen knolige. But I doubt that other boards have this information.

And it might make some ppl think difrently about the series, if not a compleat mindset change

Today I watched An anime that I could not beleave made it under the raydar to be released in the US

Hanaukyo Maid Team: La Verite, in witch a Minor child, in this case a boy, is being waited on hand and foot by SEVRAL Vixens. With sexual baltency and nudity abound.

Its so shamefull that this group of players have ruined KNJ (nymphet) launch for everyone else.

Anyway, is there any news about wot SSE is going to do with the KNJ (Nymphet) Liecence? I really want to know wots gunna happen with it!
GammaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 03:19   Link #136
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I was beginning to feel a bit lonely on a few forums because most people were too busy adding gasoline to the pyre .... glad to see those posts.

You know, these books could contain absolute garbage and I'd still defend their right to exist. But this series was completely and unjustly martyred and thrown to the flames of the mob. Couple that with the waves of anti-intellectualism and critical thinking failures in other areas of my society and I get the sense I'm in some wierd vertical channel version of a Dark Age.

Many thanks to the ad-hoc scanlators for all the hard work.
I've honestly had the feeling that we have been in a second dark age since the turn of the millenium. People just seem to be far to lazy to think anymore and well, might I recommend a movie by Mike Judge called Idiocracy which basically summarizes my worst fears for the future of humanity if things aren't done to fix the wests schools and encourage open mindness and new ideas.

They almost made a sport of rending Kodomo No Jikan didn't they. It's almost like it was attacked because the opportunity was there to do so. It's possible that if Jason DeAngelis hadn't released that letter and brought the opportunity for controversy (probably not a lot of people had heard about it or were worried before that), that everything would have been fine, but by doing so he created the avenue of attack and eventually seppukued the localization himself.

Speaking of conspiracy theories I'm starting to wonder if he may have been trying to find a way out of having to do the project he committed Seven Seas to for one reason or another as the whole letter thing was a boneheaded manuever and the follow-up in the context of his plans was instantaneous. Just a crazy thought.

Anyway expect more chapter summaries and thoughts from me tomorrow hopefully.
Old 2007-06-03, 03:34   Link #137
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually... some of the folks instigating knew perfectly well the author was female. The others were too busy protesting to think about it. And quite a number of anime/manga "experts" didn't bother to check before spouting off.

Some of those folks were crusading because they feared that "any hint of underage sexual behavior" would bring wrath upon on the industry. The problem with that theory is that it is wrong -- its already too late: the ammo for that is already on the shelves. I hate to ruin their morning coffee but a righteous idiot could walk up to any manga shelf, pick a book at random ---- flip through it... and they're going to see pictures of what might be perceived as underage girls in compromising positions. (Gunslinger Girls, Negima, I"s, Chobits, and on and on). Many of the covers make it pretty obvious as well.

Okay.. calming down (I'm supposed to avoid stress for a while... getting a systems check for some chest pains the other week, stupid mortality).

Edit: on deAngelis ... I think he knows how to run his business ..... but I don't think he showed the skillset to frame things properly to his audience (i.e. distributors) (I speculate freely that they scampered mostly because of the way he presented the situation).

Though his first press release was on-target, his second letter, well, went seriously awry. By specifying specific pages as some moral rationale for the cancellation, he opened himself to the charge he hadn't actually *read* the book --- that he'd only flipped through to find some pages that gave the appearance of the being over the line. His ploy only works until one *reads* the section and discovers just how offchannel he is. He really should have simply said the distributors ran like rabbits. Then the worst he could have been accused of was presenting the situation ineptly. Then he really tripped by saying anyone who disagreed with him obviously hadn't read the later volumes or "didn't understand japanese". That was a immediate fail because the people who supported the books were precisely the ones who HAD read all the story (in the original language).

<shrug> at this point, SSE is out of the picture, no point in beating a dead horse (other than to get the license away from them). The only thing left to hear from either them or the publisher Futabasha is that the license has been revoked or lost. At this point, a LOT more people are going to get to read it for free (there are 4 or 5 groups scanlating it that I've spotted) and a lot more people are going to be scratching their heads and wondering wtf the bookburners were so terrified of. Sadly, it also means the author and her publisher will get less money for it. Send her flowers or paypal her maybe?

I noticed the wikipedia entry on Kodomo no Jikan has a pretty accurate report oddly enough (though it is missing much of the details).

PS: Idiocracy sounds hilarious and tragic (like a Futurama barbed satire).... Looks like it was set too far into the future though.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-12 at 12:21.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 05:56   Link #138
bleakessence

*still stalking this thread*

@Vexx
well... the supposed "underage sex content" in the manga's you mentioned weren't the explicit highlight of the series, unlike KnJ. The synopsis of the series is what probably made the flamers turn their torches on this little number.

But honestly, all I see is a little kid who has a problem with her sexuality and a teacher who's trying his best (i think...) to cling to his ethics both as a teacher and a mature adult. The conflicts produced by this unique interaction becomes the meat of the story... child-sex or pedophilia is NOT the central focus of the manga.

It's this sexual immaturity that disappoints me. This manga isn't even pornographic or anything... it just provides a situation wherein we can ponder upon the ethical and moral standards of society; Japanese, American or otherwise.
bleakessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 06:06   Link #139
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

It might be interesting to note that while the west cringe fear at this title, some otakus in the East express dismay that, as the series progress, the girls in there arn't behaving as how their ideal lolitas should.
Old 2007-06-03, 06:19   Link #140
bleakessence

@Makubex2
err... according to the otakus, how should ideal lolitas behave then? o_O;
(but it's a seriously weird feeling when you know it's a woman who conceptualized the characters... i was half-expecting that only a guy would think up such an "interesting" plot XD)
bleakessence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, growing up, loli, school life, seinen