AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-14, 13:16   Link #3761
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
After Star Date, I was in the show strictly for Sheryl. She made the show for me. She never disappointed.
Old 2008-12-14, 13:52   Link #3762
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Ye of little faith!

I was rooting for Sheryl ever since her premier poster came about, even before the airing of De-Cultured!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-12-14, 14:21   Link #3763
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Ye of little faith!

I was rooting for Sheryl ever since her premier poster came about, even before the airing of De-Cultured!

- Tak
I can't compare since I only found out that the show existed a couple of days after the raw came out...but from then on it was Sheryl all the way. It seemed pretty obvious to me that Sheryl would be the Misa of the series and Ranka would be Minmei. I just didn't think she would actually end up worse than Minmei herself. Whereas Minmei actually had to deal with the consequences of her selfishness, Ranka remained oblivious basically all the way throughout the show and got a free ride.
Old 2008-12-14, 14:33   Link #3764
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Ye of little faith!

- Tak
I was rooting for Sheryl from the very beginning too Tak. However, she became my soul reason for enjoying this show after star date.

The rest of the show was just fluff.

Last edited by justinstrife; 2008-12-14 at 16:39.
Old 2008-12-14, 15:44   Link #3765
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

I remember when the first episode aired. Watched it a milion times, heck, I was even unaware of Ranka's 'role' in the triangle. Strangely enough I rooted for Kathy at the beggining It only lasted till the end of the episode though.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-12-14, 18:12   Link #3766
magnuskn

"Strawberry Pie-wa"

That was all she needed. And she gave so, so much more.
Old 2008-12-14, 18:40   Link #3767
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Ye of little faith!
Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

The first time I gazed upon the character design of this girl Ranka, I concluded from my hearts of hearts that she would ultimately be the sole focus of this illustrious anime. After Misa and Minmay, Millia and Myung, and now Ranka... it is not hard to realize that the intent behind Ranka's design was meant to reach out to the hearts of the fans of today. Her marketed moe and cute demeanor speaks much to the spirit of the times among the otaku, and unfortunately it was only natural for me to presume that she would eclipse all others.

How surprised and yet decultured I was, to discover that had not been the case for me. This other girl Sheryl, whom I thought would be just as cliche as the so often called "bitchy, arrogant woman" or as a mere "big sister" to her peers, as anime is wont to portray such assertive, strong-willed female characters nowadays, in truth turned out to be one of the more interesting characters within the entire story. I am gladdened that I had been wrong, for having seen my error I now feel this sense of hope, small as it may be, that characters such as her would be more frequent in the trying, devoid of Macross times to come.

Dear father, I ask to be forgiven. Pray tell, what is my penance?

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-12-14 at 18:53.
Old 2008-12-14, 18:55   Link #3768
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
The first time I gazed upon the character design of this girl Ranka, I concluded from my hearts of hearts that she would ultimately be the sole focus of this illustrious anime.
HAVE FAITH!

We are reminded of great shows such as Rahxephon that does not cater explicitly to the moe crowd.

Quote:
Dear father, I ask to be forgiven. Pray tell, what is my penance?

My son, do you really want to know?

For the Lord have cautioned thee not to take fruit from the tree of knowledge. If thou have chosen not to heed the Lord's warnings, then may thy heavily father bless thy soul. For I will only ruin it.

- Tak (Maggy, prepare the camera!)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2008-12-14 at 23:04.
Old 2008-12-15, 01:58   Link #3769
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

The first time I gazed upon the character design of this girl Ranka, I concluded from my hearts of hearts that she would ultimately be the sole focus of this illustrious anime. After Misa and Minmay, Millia and Myung, and now Ranka... it is not hard to realize that the intent behind Ranka's design was meant to reach out to the hearts of the fans of today. Her marketed moe and cute demeanor speaks much to the spirit of the times among the otaku, and unfortunately it was only natural for me to presume that she would eclipse all others.
Actually what you say here is what I'm pretty sure how Kawamori and co thought. They would've looked at the current landscape of anime and seen the overwhelming rise of moe and probably thought they had the perfect girl to unleash upon the masses. They had the nyan nyan thing from Deculture, even got a massive meme in kira and still she couldn't get to that level they wanted. Sheryl being Sheryl and Ranka losing her genki character probably did that....

Though when you look at the two most popular females of the decade in anime it's Lacus Clyne and C.C and neither of those two fit the "popular" moeblob type.
Old 2008-12-15, 03:28   Link #3770
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
They would've looked at the current landscape of anime and seen the overwhelming rise of moe and probably thought they had the perfect girl to unleash upon the masses.
Kawamori: Go! Create your fanbase... my little one!
Ranka: *runs off into the world unknown*
*24 episodes later*

Ranka: I'm sorry father for I have blundered.
Kawamori: Tis alright. You need not worry for I'll shall provide you with salvation.
*creates the ending*

Epiloge

*A foggy room completely covered with random sheets of paper. A single male with bad hairstyle can be seen lying on the bed, holding his real size Ranka pillow*

Old 2008-12-15, 04:26   Link #3771
Westlo
Lets be reality

Nah Kawamori would throw that Ranka pillow into the corner and hold his Minmei one, we all know which character is his true love XD
Old 2008-12-15, 04:49   Link #3772
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Let's say the pillow was customized for Kawamori and holds a double side feature

Old 2008-12-15, 04:57   Link #3773
Westlo
Lets be reality

Ranka's side will always be clean *whistles*
Old 2008-12-15, 06:25   Link #3774
MFSxA

I remember browsing youtube, wanting to revisit the old macross series I made a search...then boom there's macross frontier.

Watched the first episode, I was supposed to stop watching it the same way I stopped M7 at the first episode (singing inside a mech - wtf), then the Sheryl concert began. Only reason I continued watching the series.
Old 2008-12-15, 06:37   Link #3775
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFSxA View Post
I remember browsing youtube, wanting to revisit the old macross series I made a search...then boom there's macross frontier.

Watched the first episode, I was supposed to stop watching it the same way I stopped M7 at the first episode (singing inside a mech - wtf), then the Sheryl concert began. Only reason I continued watching the series.
Atashi no kibo to yume wa--mitttteeee!!!!

Same here, I was wow-ed, almost star-struck.
Old 2008-12-15, 06:51   Link #3776
MFSxA

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
Atashi no kibo to yume wa--mitttteeee!!!!

Same here, I was wow-ed, almost star-struck.
Haha, yeah. Sheryl is really awesome, I hope she retains her character's beauty and dynamism in the movie.

And we get a resolution.
Old 2008-12-16, 06:47   Link #3777
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

I voted Alto x Ranka because they're so cute together.

Eat that!

Well... not really.

Sheryl has my vote because 1) She is awesome, 2) She is awesome, 3) She is awesome....

I could go on and on!

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-12-16, 07:08   Link #3778
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
HAVE FAITH!

We are reminded of great shows such as Rahxephon that does not cater explicitly to the moe crowd.
Ahh yes... RahXephon. What a gem it is indeed.

BONES, this is your standard right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
My son, do you really want to know?

For the Lord have cautioned thee not to take fruit from the tree of knowledge. If thou have chosen not to heed the Lord's warnings, then may thy heavily father bless thy soul. For I will only ruin it.

- Tak (Maggy, prepare the camera!)
. . . .

. . .

Oh father, I thank you for you have opened my eyes! I shall try my utmost not to commit this sin ever again.

Old 2008-12-17, 13:47   Link #3779
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post

Sheryl has my vote because 1) She is awesome, 2) She is awesome, 3) She is awesome....

I could go on and on!
Did you happen to mention she is awesome? xD
And happens to have an amazing chemisty with Alto that can make you rofl and go "aww" at the same time? ;P
Old 2008-12-18, 05:03   Link #3780
Minari

lol i loved sheryl before I even met her
Closed Thread

Tags
romance