AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-02, 14:27   Link #61
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
we'll see how this pans out
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 15:07   Link #62
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
This anime definitely calls my attention, haven't watched a bloody anime with a heroine as the main character since Claymore. Looking forward to the subs ^-^
Old 2008-10-02, 15:09   Link #63
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I found the first episode to be ... largely disappointing. I might have had too much expectations riding on this, but this was seriously unimpressive. The comedy is done in a over-the-top slapstick manner, which i rarely find to be working when trying to work together with darker mood ... and it didn't really work here either. Not like there was all that much in terms of mood to begin with, as the whole episode is best described as dull and un-immersing, and that includes both the characters (though there is some potential here, depending on how things pan out - after all they were barely introduced here) and the action scenes.

The animation is of varying quality. Generally it is pretty decent, but sometimes the character designs flickers and become quite crude and basic. As far as sakuga quality goes, this won't be anything to write home about. Action scenes themselves aren't very impressive either, and it feels there will be little memorable stuff in this regard. There wasn't much effort put in to making the fights dynamic or thrilling, which makes me worried considering this is the case already in the first episode.

The story itself might hold some promise, but we will have to see how it unfolds - at any rate, it seems it will be largely episodic until further notice.

There was a scene that i quite liked in the first episode though -
Spoiler for ep1:

One impressive scene does not a very positive first impression make though, and mine is less than that. Will see how this unfolds, but first episode left a lot to be desired.
Old 2008-10-02, 16:59   Link #64
cyth
Banned

"Come on, it's Gainax" doesn't really cut it for me after seeing this episode. I'm usually not that enthusiastic about dark-themed anime, but I gave it a go because, well, Gurren Lagann was awesome; hardly any episodes disappointed. Shikabane Hime's first episode felt like some old relic that was dug up from the 90's anime burial grounds. I'm expecting more from titles this season because there are so many of them, and I've expected less from some, but they did an outstanding job.

Long rant short, I'm not willing to give this series any slack just because it's a Gainax title.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 17:04   Link #65
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
"Come on, it's Gainax" doesn't really cut it for me after seeing this episode. I'm usually not that enthusiastic about dark-themed anime, but I gave it a go because, well, Gurren Lagann was awesome; hardly any episodes disappointed. Shikabane Hime's first episode felt like some old relic that was dug up from the 90's anime burial grounds. I'm expecting more from titles this season because there are so many of them, and I've expected less from some, but they did an outstanding job.

Long rant short, I'm not willing to give this series any slack just because it's a Gainax title.
Not even for Naruto's director either? Come on. It's Naruto.

/snark
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 17:11   Link #66
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
I think one should at least try a second episode after wasting half an hour of your life on the first?
Hey, 25 minutes, 50 minutes... big deal xD
Old 2008-10-02, 20:41   Link #67
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I found the first episode to be ... largely disappointing. I might have had too much expectations riding on this, but this was seriously unimpressive. The comedy is done in a over-the-top slapstick manner, which i rarely find to be working when trying to work together with darker mood ... and it didn't really work here either. Not like there was all that much in terms of mood to begin with, as the whole episode is best described as dull and un-immersing, and that includes both the characters (though there is some potential here, depending on how things pan out - after all they were barely introduced here) and the action scenes.

The animation is of varying quality. Generally it is pretty decent, but sometimes the character designs flickers and become quite crude and basic. As far as sakuga quality goes, this won't be anything to write home about. Action scenes themselves aren't very impressive either, and it feels there will be little memorable stuff in this regard. There wasn't much effort put in to making the fights dynamic or thrilling, which makes me worried considering this is the case already in the first episode.

The story itself might hold some promise, but we will have to see how it unfolds - at any rate, it seems it will be largely episodic until further notice.

There was a scene that i quite liked in the first episode though -
Spoiler for ep1:

One impressive scene does not a very positive first impression make though, and mine is less than that. Will see how this unfolds, but first episode left a lot to be desired.
I almost agree with you except you left out easily the most notable factor about the episode - some impressive directing! Great use of color tones, interesting animation techniques, and a decent coat of style. Plus even though the animation wasn't great the art is fantastic.
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 21:28   Link #68
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Hmmm.... waiting for subs but I liked what I saw so far. No complaints from me when the lady packs dual submachine guns.
Old 2008-10-02, 21:46   Link #69
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
Not even for Naruto's director either? Come on. It's Naruto.

/snark
Look at how many people watch Naruto... It just has to be "good"

In reality though episode 1 sucked... but I'll give it another chance
Old 2008-10-03, 12:50   Link #70
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

Mpf, at least seems is a new story, characters apart. Chara design suck compared to the manga, but animations aren't so bad. Guess i will follow this serie as filler like rosario + vampire, maybe something good will happen in next episodes.
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 15:20   Link #71
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Average first start I guess, but I do hope they will continue to improve (like what it was for GL).
The OP theme was a complete treat for me though even if the episode was sorta average.

I actually don't mind seen as we have only just started...but the "monster of the week" theme is hardly encouraging. Still, I have my expectations and it hasn't lessened thus far yet. Just wait until we get into the character development I suppose.

One thing I loved was the choice of weapon for Makina. Normally a cliched exorcise weapon would be either a sword...or if it is a firearm, some sort of pistol. But watching automatic uzis being fired made me laugh

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 07:57   Link #72
Mei

I quite enjoyed the first episode, definately going to wait to see how it turns out. The monotonous kill one monster and there is another one for the next episode tag line doesn't work well with me though.
Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 14:07   Link #73
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This is definitely not my genre. I loathe monster of the week, or even monsters at all. But I got a pretty good feeling from this first episode. The direction/storyboarding seemed fairly sharp, and I liked the voices.

The female lead, Akiyama Nana 秋山奈々, appears to be an 18-year-old model/actress/singer without much anime experience, and you can hear a trace of flatness in her voice, but it gave me a good feeling anyway. Just to give you an idea of what we're dealing with here, I found a couple of pictures of Akiyama Nana, who may be a big selling point for this show in Japan (click to enlarge photos). She has six idol DVDs and some photo books out, has been in eleven dramas and six movies:

We can also listen for Fujiwara Keiji, Horie Yui, Nakata Jouji, and Sugita Tomokazu in this episode, and Suwabe Junichi and Yuuki Aoi (Murasaki in Kurenai) to come.

The humor didn't do much for me, either, but it did help to vary the mood. angela's singing was great.

As far as I can find out, the director, Murata Masahiko, doesn't direct Naruto, he just does some storyboards for it. He did direct Gilgamesh and Jinki:Extend, however, and was animation director for Naruto Shippuuden.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-10-04 at 14:24.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 14:09   Link #74
Midonin
Last Engage

She may not have much anime experience, but Akiyama did play one of the secondary characters in Kamen Rider Hibiki. Other toku stars on the cast list are Chise Nakamura and Mika Kikuchi, though Mika does have the most anime experience among the group.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 15:53   Link #75
solomon

Saw the first episode, thouroughly delivered in action and production quality. That's all I can say really, nothing else really lept out at me.

As for Akiyama, I thought she was really good. She's just not doing "seiyuu acting".
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:55   Link #76
Ichy
It`s a miracle!

Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
subs where? ;_;
Old 2008-10-06, 16:58   Link #77
Chrno2

We are ready with the sub, but we are waiting for a good raw to come out....
NEEDS HD RAW XDD
Chrno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 01:26   Link #78
muramasa.swordsman

How's the quality for the current raw so far?
muramasa.swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 08:04   Link #79
Chrno2

Not very good.
ATX raws = LQ
Chrno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 14:37   Link #80
TsukasaTetris
Orenji~

I personally could care less if it's LQ, I just want to watch it already. T_T Since you say you'll need an HD raw, how long do you think it will take for one to release?
TsukasaTetris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, gainax, horror, shounen