AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-15, 08:53   Link #261
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
It's mostly an art book, with detailed episode synopses and lots and lots (AND LOTS) of line art.

There are a few things that make it VERY special, though. First, it's got two short stories: "The Plundering Fleet" (by Keniichi Matsuzaki), about Global and Misa's Dad during the Unification Wars, and "The Lost Two Years" (by Shoji Kawamori) about the period between the end of Space War I and the beginning of the "epilogue" section of the series.

Second, it's got a detailed and comprehensive history of the creation of the show, from the first planning conference in August of 1980, to the show's debut more than two years later. Early designs, storyboards, and three different synopses (first, as a 52-episode series; second, as a 48-episode series; and third, right before production started, as a 39-episode series) of the plot at different stages of the show's development.

Third, it's got commentary from every single major member of the staff and cast, with TONS of personal art done by the staff.

As MW sez, it's THE biggest and best book out there for the series.

It's also gonna be a real pain to translate...
Good luck! I personally look forward to it. And take your time. A good, clean translation is always preferable to a fast one.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 09:08   Link #262
magnuskn

Thanks, that looks to be very interesting.
Old 2011-01-20, 02:14   Link #263
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Anyone else notice the delicious irony behind the song "My Boyfriend Is A Pilot"? While Minmay and Hikaru aren't a real couple for most of the series, the song mirrors their relationship, except reversed! Hikaru is the "singer", greatly in love with Minmay to the point of it affecting his job as a pilot; Minmay is the "pilot", too absorbed in her singing role to even notice Hikaru's feelings. The elusive "boyfriend" Minmay is singing about is actually herself!
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 11:29   Link #264
BChoinski
Old Macross Coot

For those interested, there appears to be a copy of it on ebay, 3 days left as of the time of this posting.
BChoinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 17:35   Link #265
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Anyone else notice the delicious irony behind the song "My Boyfriend Is A Pilot"? While Minmay and Hikaru aren't a real couple for most of the series, the song mirrors their relationship, except reversed! Hikaru is the "singer", greatly in love with Minmay to the point of it affecting his job as a pilot; Minmay is the "pilot", too absorbed in her singing role to even notice Hikaru's feelings. The elusive "boyfriend" Minmay is singing about is actually herself!

Nice theory... Seems like it..

Same can be applied to ranka x alto..

So the ending is already clear ^^
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:09   Link #266
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
That is a very astute observation. Bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
Nice theory... Seems like it..

Same can be applied to ranka x alto..

So the ending is already clear ^^
Huzzaahh...
Old 2011-01-20, 21:46   Link #267
Pterobat
Folmophile

When it comes to Hikaru x Minmay, both had their oblivious moments. The onus should have been just as much on Hikaru to speak about these feelings, as it was on Minmay to notice them--becasue it is a romance story, though, sometimes you have to be a little oblivious to keep the plot moving.
Pterobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 03:16   Link #268
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AHLdBHcoM
Old 2011-01-23, 08:11   Link #269
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
I can't say i enjoyed that review.
Old 2011-02-03, 17:59   Link #270
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

The Japanese Playstation Home is showing episodes 1 and 2 of SDF Macross today. One nice touch is that the station logo is Galaxy Network.
Old 2011-02-03, 21:50   Link #271
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
I'm so-so on the review. If they didn't already like Macross, listeners would probably leave without feelings of interest in SDF.

I get the feeling I've heard this guy's voice before.
His intonation is strange.

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 12:46   Link #272
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth View Post
The Japanese Playstation Home is showing episodes 1 and 2 of SDF Macross today. One nice touch is that the station logo is Galaxy Network.
WOW....gotta check it out tomorow
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 22:55   Link #273
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Now I really have an incentive to watch all Macross episodes on PS Home: I get a nifty virtual prize.
Old 2011-02-16, 14:41   Link #274
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth View Post
Now I really have an incentive to watch all Macross episodes on PS Home: I get a nifty virtual prize.
Same, though the last time i used PS-HOME, it didn't really run that well.

Also isn't it for Japan PS3 owners only?
Old 2011-02-16, 22:22   Link #275
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Same, though the last time i used PS-HOME, it didn't really run that well.

Also isn't it for Japan PS3 owners only?
I think the stability has improved quite a bit. I started using HOME again recently for the Macross showings. Now there is a simpler menu screen upon launching home, simplifying the navigation to various areas. I guess the real test will be the upcoming Macross Frontier virtual concert.

The PS3 allows the creation of multiple user profiles. To access the Japanese version (or any other region for that matter) of HOME, you will have to create a new profile and create a Japanese PSN account in that profile. Its been a while since I did this and I think some of little details have changed. You should be able to search the internet for a guide for creating regional accounts.
Old 2011-02-16, 22:41   Link #276
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I have to look into this HOME thing, I'm not even sure if I get it.

But, I'm still waiting for a password feature on my PS3. >.<
Old 2011-02-20, 17:26   Link #277
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I have to look into this HOME thing, I'm not even sure if I get it.
I'm pretty sure everyone get's it. You just gotta download it then sign up.
Old 2011-03-19, 07:07   Link #278
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

The early 80’s was the time the second generation of anime fans came by and they weren’t that fond of drama and high ideals. I can almost hear them saying:
“Hey anime industry! We really like space adventures and huge robots and action and relations between humans and aliens. But can we please have a series without the overblown drama which is pissing us off? And while you’re at it, can you please throw in some singing and pop idols? We like pop idols and pop is very in.”
And as if their wishes were heard, Macross came to be…

The thing I must begin with is that I and most others of my generation grew up thinking it was an American production named Robotech and that it was three seasons long. Well, no, that was actually a weird mix and blend and mutate thingy Harmony Gold did with three different and completely unrelated anime series.

But who cares? Back then Robotech or whatever it was called was the top action/space adventure ever made! I mean, seriously, who can point out another anime with more action and more interesting scenario that was broadcasting on television at that time? Hell, who can point out an anime with A BIGGER FORTRESS? I mean, the damn thing was big enough to fit in a huge city, plus double the space for military equipment and cannons powerful enough to blow alien armadas twice its size. Plus, it could transform into a robot that could ram its fists into enemy ships and fire a million missiles inside it! Plus, it could teleport in seconds to the other side of the solar system and taking along with it a whole island. So as you can tell it wasn’t just a big fortress. It was a COLOSSAL SUPER GODDAMN COOL DIMENSIONAL BLOWS EVERYTHING APART FORTRESS !!! And I loved it.

Many people say that it is not the size that matters but the way you use it. You know what I am talking about…
Many earlier anime also had big robots and big spaceships but the size there played little to no role in the story. I mean, sure, a huge robot is a lot cooler than a human-sized one and so are the explosions it creates but as far as the plot is involved, it didn’t matter one bit. But in this show, the proportions were really excused to be so… big. So big that even all the classical mecha grouped together look like ants before it. You see, the fortress houses an entire city full of several thousands of refugees, a thing that would be impossible to do without being THIS big. Maybe it would if it was a space armada moving separately from the main robot but under the circumstances the refugees came to be (their whole island teleporting to goddamn Pluto) this was plain impossible.

Another thing that excuses it is the size of the enemy armada, which more or less is several tens of thousands of ships, each bigger than a skyscraper, housing hundreds of enemy mecha, each piloted by a 30 meter tall green skinned alien. And unlike most mecha shows, where the aliens have huge armadas yet only attack with one robot at the time (man, for an advanced race they are complete idiots), here they pretty much attack in huge numbers. How could you fend off such an attack with just a big robot? Everything in this show is big; and I don’t mean just the size. The story is again big in scale of the things it involves, the character interaction is big with the things they do, the space in the galaxy all that affect is big.

A thing which I finally got to see for the first time in anime is the main ship getting damaged. The need for repeated footage was a lot smaller from here on, thus the animators could freely dent and pierce and blow up lots of parts of the Macross ship/robot, which in the long run was still so big it didn’t matter much.

Yet another thing I liked is how the mecha themselves are not indestructible. The Valkyries and the alien jumping pods were mass produced and could be destroyed or damaged easily, thus making the need for survival and maintenance all the more important. They were not like the lead mecha in earlier series which could never be damaged.

And the characters were not immortal either; several of them died throughout the course of the story and none in an overblown dramatic / patriotic way, like going kamikaze in order to save the rest. Hell, Earth itself is not indestructible! The alien armada actually manages to destroy most of it and kill most of mankind! All of which did not happen in the first or in the last episodes but MID-WAY! When was that ever shown before? Even some of the aliens themselves eventually seek truce because they find out about common heritage and take up arms against their kind. And even some of the aliens who do get accepted in Earth as renegades later on change their minds and again turn against humanity. THIS IS JUST UNTHINKABLE IN PREVIOUS ANIME!

Character interactions are also a very powerful part of the show. I mean aside from the typical cases of friendship and obedience to authority and the struggle for survival (themes quite powerful on their own) we have spicy romantic triangles between military people and pop idols, couples between white and black people (unthinkable and even insulting for some in the west), even couples between humans and aliens. Heck, the power of love, the sight of a kiss, the different way each kind would reproduce and the completely different interaction between the sexes is all a huge part of the core story and the origin of both cultures, creating a setting which is plain incredible to keep looking at. I mean a few years back Space Runaway Ideon did something similar with alien interactions but it was hardly THIS good.

Artwork and animation may seem bad today, as you occasionally see jerky animation and cross-eyed characters, while the colouring feels simplistic and with lack of much shading. But again, for its time it was the best thing ever. So do not be too critical of it and in case you want to see how it would look with modern animation there are always the various sequels and prequels.

Music is … erm … good I guess. The American intro and BGM simply kicks ass while the Japanese is rather meh… But the ending song is definitely more poetic and nostalgic in its original version. The voice acting is great in both languages, although as far as context goes the American version made them sound a bit more stupid, because the very story was mutated to be simpler and that affected all the rest.

The story from what I described above is the best you could find back then in the genre and still is today up to an extend. Everything is plain epic in size, has lots of progress and unexpected developments, the action is good and so are most of the moments the characters are having a normal life in the ship. It does have its share of silliness of course as it is still very hard to accept how a city would be having beauty contests and music festivals when they are hunted by aliens and every day hundreds of them get killed and their houses are constantly demolished. Also, the last third of the show had lots of budget issues and the plot there feels more simplistic and slow, while the ending will feel rushed and possibly bad for some. But in overall it is very good. The Japanese version is of course more mature and in-depth, plus it doesn’t really continue with Robotech Masters and Mospeada as it did in the American version. Both those shows were not as fun anyway.

The cast is a wonderful blend of various personalities, each one being very distinctive and memorable even after all these years. Hell, there are even fun clubs about them. They too of course feel too naive with what is going on with the grave story and it is questionable if bridge bunnies and pop idols even fit in all that for any other reason than fan service. But hey, the girls at the bridge did all the communication fuss because they couldn’t board a mecha and the pop idol gave courage and morale to the troops. As for the pop idol, her singing blows up entire fleets later on and it is still somewhat excused with the genetic encoding the aliens received from their creators. Again, all that make a lot more sense in the Japanese version, which treats protoculture as a shared lineage and not some super awesome magic power. Damn you American version!

Its historical importance is huge since it was the show which hooked thousands of my generation to cartoons and anime, while over at Japan the theatrical release of the Macross movie became as big as a national celebration and is considered today as an all time favourite cult title.

Plus, I really liked that show…
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 07:48   Link #279
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
REVIEW TIME
Its historical importance is huge since it was the show which hooked thousands of my generation to cartoons and anime, while over at Japan the theatrical release of the Macross movie became as big as a national celebration and is considered today as an all time favourite cult title.
It's cultural impact is larger than that...it's also the show that sparked the term "otaku."
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 13:23   Link #280
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Wasn't the part "the show which hooked thousands of my generation to cartoons and anime" equal to saying OTAKU! ???
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, mecha, romance