AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2006-06-12, 10:50   Link #1
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Ichigo Vector Art!

Soon I will post more Vector Art made by me
But does anyone know how I can make my lines smoother?
Old 2006-06-12, 19:00   Link #2
Donovan
Struggling Artist

Send a message via MSN to Donovan
Wow, that line roughness is strange... Before I could help you, it might be best for you to provide some more details on your process, like what program, etc. Otherwise, I have no idea how that happened. All my vector art has been done in Adobe Illustrator and I've never run into that particular issue at all.

Aside from the line issues, I'd say its pretty good. The only specific change I'd suggest is to put some more shadows on his face around the hair, it seems odd that it casts no shadow at all.
Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 03:24   Link #3
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
Hey ... I was expecting Ichigo. XD hahah... It's tamaki so it's all good. =)

All vector programs should have the same functions in that any tool you use, it functions using bezier points yeah? Which are usually little cubes and sometimes little circles.

The way you make your lines smoother... is to delete some of these points. Now you'll get a very rigid outline after you do this... but not to worry. The next step is to go around and drag out the anchors so you can make the line smoother than it was before. ^_^

I hope this image helps a bit. But yeah - I'm talking about those little things that stick out of the beziers... play around with them. ^_^

I take it you didn't do this in illustrator because illustrator has an automatic function which makes the lines smoother when you draw them. Not to worry though, the process is all the same. ^^
katakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 04:16   Link #4
g0jira

vectar 4 teh win, It was a nice picture, but please, don't be one of those that limits themselves to only make faces, I like full-background images. Rock on!
g0jira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 06:54   Link #5
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

I am using photoshop
And Thx alot, it really helped me out!
I will post my new vector out asap
Old 2006-06-19, 13:31   Link #6
katakami
another procrastinator

that's kewl.

Although I'd say this type of image should be hand drawn/inked. Vector's mainly for very clean, thick lines. (Like power puff girls or even shapes like Samurai Jack).

Anyhows..
Old 2006-06-22, 14:52   Link #7
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Here is another vector art I made I think its way more better!

Old 2006-06-22, 21:35   Link #8
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer

I didn't expect to find you here.
Old 2006-06-23, 05:15   Link #9
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Quote:
Originally Posted by solwyvern
I didn't expect to find you here.
Oh its you from Ferricorp!
Old 2006-06-23, 05:16   Link #10
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Here is another vector art

And for bigger version

Old 2006-06-23, 08:00   Link #11
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katakami
Although I'd say this type of image should be hand drawn/inked. Vector's mainly for very clean, thick lines. (Like power puff girls or even shapes like Samurai Jack).

Anyhows..
I have to disagree. I've made some very thin lines with vectors. They don't have to be thick. check my works at http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/wa...ers/solwyvern/

I assure you, they are all vectors made with Photoshop, and the lines are not thick. Hell, even my avatar is a vector, and it has thin lines.

Ichigo: I'll just comment on your work here instead of Ferricorp
Great job vectoring that girl from Ouran(forgot her name)
My suggestion would be to make great use of ctrl, alt, and shift buttons with the pen-points. If you are able to manipulate them freely, you will get straight, clean lines.
Old 2006-06-23, 10:05   Link #12
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Here another vector
Some lines are very smooth but some arent

Old 2006-06-23, 10:20   Link #13
katakami
another procrastinator

heh.. I was wondering why that link was taking so long to load... >.> anime paper... I swear I'd be more active on that site if it weren't so damn slow to load. *grump*

I suppose a lot people would be using vector instead of inking these days. (Well it is cheaper and more accesible - I just find it time consuming ~.~)

But yeah... hahah ^^;; I did say something wrong. I guess what I was trying to say is that the term "vector art" to me is more distinguished by the styles I mentioned. (Samurai Jack ... they don't use lines at all... powerpuff girls - yeah, these are extremes, you get other subtle ones - nice ones like the Incredibles storyboard - waw) otherwise if you use it for images like above, it's no different to traditional hand-inking. In the end you get the same effect. Haha I guess I was trying to say this without being to wordy. ^^;;

So... I should be more direct. (To ichigo If you're gonna use vector to draw images, you gotta observe how lines are drawn. Consider lighting directions - you're starting to get the idea with doing thick/thin variations but now you gotta know where to put them.

Also a really nice thing you'll want to play with solids are gradients. (for shadows and highlights) =) Especially if you're colouring vector style, you can get some really nice effects. But yeah, at the moment, I think the point earlier made by g0jira about doing faces was a good one ... perhaps if you tried to move away from that a bit, you might start seeing how lines work?

~yeah so good luck! I wish I had more time to do these things but #_# gotta... work on my animation. T_T
Old 2006-06-23, 12:05   Link #14
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solwyvern
I have to disagree. I've made some very thin lines with vectors. They don't have to be thick. check my works at http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/wa...ers/solwyvern/
I must admit that this is the first time I look at your other works solwyvern. (eventhough you gave me the link quite some time ago) As usual, all you work is outstanding, specially on the whole 'design' thing.

Anyway, how come only one of your Higurashi wallpapers is posted there? The other one is pretty cool and different enough to be posted as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo91
Here another vector
Some lines are very smooth but some arent
Sorry about going a little off topic Ichigo91. I can already see improvements in your work, so just keep practicing.
Old 2006-06-23, 16:15   Link #15
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Thx alot for the Tips and Comments all!
I tried to use the Freeform Pen Tool and when you draw a few lines it makes it automaticly smooth
So what should I actualy use? Just the pen tool or Freeform Pen tool or both?
its not really hard using the freeform pen tool for me I think the lines are way more smoother then when I use the Pen Tool and also more easier I think, but the only problem is that I need to try and stay on the lines
but I am also starting to get how to make the lines smoother with the pen tool so I guess when I find doing something hard with the pen tool I will just do it with the freeforum pen tool or something

My next vector art that I will post I will try to make it as smooth as possible

Last edited by Ichigo91; 2006-06-23 at 16:30.
Ichigo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 17:32   Link #16
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
I must admit that this is the first time I look at your other works solwyvern. (eventhough you gave me the link quite some time ago) As usual, all you work is outstanding, specially on the whole 'design' thing.

Anyway, how come only one of your Higurashi wallpapers is posted there? The other one is pretty cool and different enough to be posted as well.
Ah... Thanks.
You should see what I'm working on now. Remember the image I showed in Lost's thread several days ago? This is what it now looks like,

Most of everything in the wall is vectored. Leaves and flowers.
I'm still trying to add in more detail, though. And of course, I have that in 1600x1200 size.
(The people at the Rozen Maiden Thread are going to drool over this. )

@Ichigo: Nice trace of Nekosawa-sempai! I'm looking forward to your next works. Hey, can I request one of Nekosawa with him holding his cat? or a solo vector of Nekosawa's cat... :P

Last edited by solwyvern; 2006-06-23 at 17:52.
solwyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-24, 04:24   Link #17
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Here another one I used this time the freeform pen tool and the pen tool
Well mostly the pen tool not all the lines are smooth ofcourse but I am sure by the time it will improve

For bigger version

Old 2006-06-24, 04:57   Link #18
katakami
another procrastinator

I think Nekozawa's sister (haha forgot her name too ><) is working the best out of all of these so far. So whatever you used with that is working good. =)
Old 2006-06-27, 14:43   Link #19
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Here is another vector art
I finally know how you exactly make the lines smoother

Old 2006-06-28, 05:58   Link #20
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Here another vector I think this one is one of the best till now