AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 25 31.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 32.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 22.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 12.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-21, 14:20   Link #121
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I really doubt Menma had some kind of family abuse going on. I'm not saying it isn't plausible, but I think a lot of these theories are like shooting darts at a board for now.
Old 2011-05-21, 14:55   Link #122
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebasu View Post
Did you guys believed Poppo when he said he became a level 5 shaman in Vietnam? I'm starting to have crazy doubts on his character.
Sure, why not? It sounds like some kind of con, but I can see him falling for it.
Old 2011-05-21, 14:58   Link #123
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebasu View Post
Did you guys believed Poppo when he said he became a level 5 shaman in Vietnam? I'm starting to have crazy doubts on his character.
There is shamanism in Vietnam alright, and that's not really something you would normally know unless you have stayed there for a while, but I don't know much about it so I'm not going comment on the level 5 part (I'm thinking Anohana's writer combined it with index/railgun or something haha).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I really doubt Menma had some kind of family abuse going on. I'm not saying it isn't plausible, but I think a lot of these theories are like shooting darts at a board for now.
Word. I have no idea how the speculation headed that way. I'd imagine Menma's wish is something simple and childlike. As I stated at the beginning of this show, Anohana is about simplicity and we will see if that changes when the show progesses.
Old 2011-05-21, 15:41   Link #124
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't need to see it become theatrical and melodramatic.
Don't worry, Shaft isn't at the helm.

Honestly, it's like people have been drunk with melodrama and pretense lately that they can't enjoy an anime about homely values anymore. It has to have a twist to tickle their senses. The tumor, the abuse, the murder, the paedophilia, none of those have crossed my mind for a second. You're free to hypothesize of course, but some of these are pretty out there. I won't rule out a future twist - and if there is one it's likely something to do with Menma's forgotten wish - but the chance of it being dark and twisted is pretty darn small if you ask me.
Old 2011-05-21, 15:51   Link #125
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Change of subject: what was indecent about Anaru's clothes that she felt she had to throw stuff at Jinta? It looked like normal summer wear...
Old 2011-05-21, 15:52   Link #126
Kirarakim

Yeah I like angst as much as the next person but I actually like that Anohana is more laid back. It reminds me of Honey & Clover more than anything.

Okay sure there is a lot of drama but I honestly feel this is a moving on/growing up story but in this case the characters are moving back to each other.

Although that being said I have no idea what Menma's wish is. Of course I do think it has something to do with what she called them to the club house that day for but other than that I have no theories and just want to see how it all turns out. I am not expecting anything Grim!Dark though.
Old 2011-05-21, 18:45   Link #127
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
After thinking about it a bit I am inclined to think that if the theory of abuse holds water I think it is much more likely to be between Menma's father and mother as opposed to between Menma and her father - for example if Menma saw her father physically abusing here mother. Of course this could lead to all kinds of variations as regards "why", but I also agree with Solace - it is true that my speculation IS just shooting in the dark for now. And I am notoriously bad at guessing where anime/manga plots are headed!

But for now I am still going to go with my theory in general and put the focus squarely on some sort of abusive activity between Menma's mother and father that she unknowingly stumbled across.
Old 2011-05-21, 20:12   Link #128
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Honestly, it's like people have been drunk with melodrama and pretense lately that they can't enjoy an anime about homely values anymore. It has to have a twist to tickle their senses. The tumor, the abuse, the murder, the paedophilia, none of those have crossed my mind for a second. You're free to hypothesize of course, but some of these are pretty out there.
But crossdressing is pretty out there as well and a good indicator this anime wasn't written for general audiences. Otaku love this kind of controversial, shocking stuff, however I wish to defend our tastes for just a moment here, even though I do long for a more chill, down-to-earth atmosphere from time to time, and would actually prefer to see it in AnoHana. In short, the kind of shocking stimulation is what some of us were seeking before we started watching anime. Mainstream entertainment is weaksauce and just doesn't do it for some of us.

If it comforts you in any way, my prediction (about paedophilia) was mostly made in joke. It could happen though! I'm looking at Poppo's trainwreck potential and I can't help myself but to make fun of him.
Old 2011-05-21, 20:17   Link #129
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Otaku love this kind of controversial, shocking stuff
Watching daytime television makes me think that everyone loves controversial, shocking stuff like that.
Old 2011-05-21, 20:26   Link #130
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
While I certainly respect that some fans don't want this anime to get too dark (I myself share the same sentiment to some degree), I'm not exactly sure why the addition of child abuse (it wouldn't have to be sexual, by the way) would be making this show melodramatic.

I mean, we already have:

1. A teenage boy who cosplays as his deceased childhood female friend, including cross-dressing.

2. An (unsuccessful) attempted rape scene.

3. A hikikomori male lead that had quit school for a long time.

And all of the above were presented pretty seriously, in my opinion.

I would never underestimate Okada's ability and tendency to broach taboo and/or very touchy subjects, and with a certain maturity as well. Wandering Son and True Tears speak loudly to this, imo.

Thankfully, Okada is generally very good at this.
Old 2011-05-21, 20:40   Link #131
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I was wondering about that myself. Either Poppo is just being his usual laidback self, or he really hasn't been around the world...honestly, considering how hard it is to actually travel (even when you are willing to use low grade travel, like Fishermen's boats, and out of the way routes, etc), I wouldn't be surprised if Poppo has been lying this entire time...
Maybe he was certified over the internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Oh, I don't mean anything that depressing. I just meant that they all transform from normal human beings into ghosts through sheer force of will. That they did something so amazing through their simple willpower would be a true testament to the power of friendship, and I think it would make for a very touching ending.
I know, I was just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Part of the reason why I think Flower might be on to something here is that this anime has already had something of an attempted rape scene, which could be foreshadowing that similar conflicts/issues will soon be delved into.
When was there an attempted rape scene??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Change of subject: what was indecent about Anaru's clothes that she felt she had to throw stuff at Jinta? It looked like normal summer wear...
Not really indecent, just more revealing than usual. It was Jinta who made things awkward, I think. Either way, he got himself some point there.
Old 2011-05-21, 20:45   Link #132
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post

That guy in Episode 5 was trying to force Anaru to have sex with him. It didn't get that far (largely thanks to Yukiatsu), but it was clear that he wasn't taking "no" for an answer...

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-05-21 at 22:57.
Old 2011-05-21, 20:52   Link #133
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Anaru and that random guy in episode 5, where Yukiatsu saved here. At least, I think that's what Triple_R is referring to.

As for the child abuse thing, it'd bother me because it's so distinct from the other main characters. Most of the other conflicts are related to the group and Menma's death to the point where issues outside of this would feel like they're forced or the story would feel unfocused. Menma being abused as a child wouldn't really do much to progress the larger narrative; at most, it'd lead to sympathy for Menma, but that wouldn't really lead anywhere since it's so unrelated to the rest of the group.
Old 2011-05-21, 21:55   Link #134
Ottocycle

Quote:
I guess it's Jinta who has probably yet to see Anaru (or any other pubescent girl with decent curves) in that state of dress, acting up.

She obviously didn't feel anything about it at the beginning, or when Poppo and Jintan visited her place a few eps back.
Old 2011-05-21, 22:05   Link #135
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Actually, when I was watching the episode I was wondering if it was Menma, not Jinta who had the soap-opera disease. Calling everyone together to talk about something important, which ends up not being discussed, feels like a death flag to me (even if she's already dead) so I hope we do get more flashbacks about that day soon, maybe Tsuruko next?
Old 2011-05-21, 22:05   Link #136
Sebasu
~

Quote:
It's just because Jintan had a nosebleed and she thought it's because of her (being alone together at night and her bra strap showing out would probably make her think that way).
Old 2011-05-22, 02:30   Link #137
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I think the attempted rape scene can be more accurately labeled as enjo kosai. It was more like Anaru didn't know what she was doing exactly.
Old 2011-05-22, 02:41   Link #138
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

... She said "no", he tried to drag her to the hotel forcefully. So, yeah, attempted rape.
Old 2011-05-22, 03:53   Link #139
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I think the attempted rape scene can be more accurately labeled as enjo kosai. It was more like Anaru didn't know what she was doing exactly.
In that older guy's perspective yes, but to a third person view perspective, it's an attempted rape. Moreover, why would you drag someone refusing, struggling to your advances. That guy just assumed Anaru is like that.
Old 2011-05-22, 05:29   Link #140
Seiryuu

Very interesting, and sort of surprising to show a ghost who's actually afraid of what will happen when she moves on. I suspect that she might have some idea of what her "unfinished business" is, but deliberately forgot it out of fear of the unknown, and a desire to bring everyone back together again and be with them longer.

Naruko's getting to me more and more. There's not much worse you can do to a girl than spread rumors like that. I'm a little uncertain about how close she really is with her "friends", or whether to a good extent she just hangs out with them to have someone to be with. And then they let some guy take her away. And worse, as the only ones there they were obviously the ones who told everyone how she went off to a hotel with an old man she'd just met. It seems pretty clear that the girls were up for doing enjou kousai and going all the way. And a bystander who saw an older businessman walking with a girl who was dressed a little bit like that would think that. Tsurumi herself warned Naruko that the way she and her friends dressed was typical of those sorts of "gals".
The way people like her friends are treated can be painful enough, but the way they treat people when they suddenly "find out" that they'd done something like that is horrible. This sort of thing is sometimes called "Second Rape" or something like that, as a person's image and psyche is violated over and over again by the way she's suddenly seen by people.

BTW, one thing's been bothering me. Where the heck did the phrase "Ecchi, Sketchy, One-touch!" come from? I've heard it before several times but it just seems really weird.
Closed Thread