AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-01-29, 13:43   Link #1
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

Speed Racer (may 2008)

Here is the trailer for the new movie based on the classic anime series of the same name, chronicling the aspirations of a young race car driver as he attempts to obtain glory, with the help of his family and the Mach 5, the advanced car created by his father.

GO! GO! SPEED RACER!!

http://speedracerthemovie.warnerbros.com/cmp/main.html
Old 2008-01-29, 14:06   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In one sense, its like they've captured what the mind's eye saw when kids watched Speed Racer back in the 60s. Will this hold up for the duration of a movie and will it grab the attention of today's audience? No idea.....

I watched Speed Racer as a child in Glorious Black'n'White television... so the bright color palettes alone are interesting. Only complaint so far is that both Speed and Trixie .... seem a bit old for their parts (though its nice seeing Ricci on the screen again) but that may be that I just assumed Speed and Trix were 20-ish when I was young.
Old 2008-01-29, 15:03   Link #3
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
It was mostly highly CGed. I wasn't born with speed racer, so I probably won't be watching it.

I'll have to wait and see if my friends wants to watch it, then i'll accompany them ^^ (free ticket)

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 08:32   Link #4
Tri-ring

Oh, Yoshida Tatsuo will be proud if he see his star child on the big screen all dressed up!!

To those who haven't seen the original here is the Op.

Original Japanese version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyMaZ-CWrI4
Adapted English version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtIu61s2PDo
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 02:31   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just saw Christina Ricci doing a Speed Racer promo on Jay Leno (US late night talk show).

Jeebus, the older she gets the MORE loli she looks. Little, petite, a career in live-action anime (rofl).
Old 2008-05-07, 02:54   Link #6
james0246

I am quite excited by this film. Like Vexx, I remember watching this show on an old black and white television early in the morning (though, I am guessing that Vexx remembers it from its original release, wheras I saw it during one of its re-runs ), so I am extremely excited about this film, more so than any of the other big May releases. I do not expect it to be good, per see, but it looks beautiful, and I am hoping that the story is at least good enough for a 10 year old kid, at least then I can claim some interest in the story, otherwise I will only have the visuals to get me through the film, and in the end, that is simply not enough.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 03:05   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm actually kind of neutral about Speed Racer --- I remember watching it in the 60s (along with Astroboy and Gigantor) but the chimp and kid always made my teeth hurt they were such lousy fails at humor. I also never understood (yes, even as a kid) why Speed and Trixie seemed to be totally unaware they should be, like, you know?, attracted!!!! to each other? I remember Racer X adding some interest to the series.
Those 3 series didn't survive the "switch to color tv" in the late 60s --- that's when Ultraman Team live-action in Full Color hit the afternoon screens (and they actually had a bit of romance between adults).

Oddly enough, I've always been a fan of Iron Man - so looking forward to a matinee popcorn fest with that. I might watch SR, but the clip they gave Ricci to show was basically Trixie and Speed sitting in the car chatting (wow.... dead on arrival moment).
Old 2008-05-07, 08:41   Link #8
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

This is a MUST watch show.

I really like how they took the concept of the original story and were able to expand it into something futuristic. It works very well. I am one of the last people to be affected by any type of movie 'hype' and this show caught my eye instantly when I first saw the clip in a preview.
It has a serious feel to it, like you must race to save the world! that is speed racer!
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 14:35   Link #9
james0246

@Vexx, It is not so much that I like Speed Racer more than Iron Man (which I have read for...well, a long time) or Indiana Jones (which I saw, the first movie, at least a dozen times in the theatres), but I have a more nostalgic connection with Speed Racer for the simple reason that I have not seen the show in decades, and the last time I thought about the show (besides the various cartoon parodies ("Mock Racer" on Dexter's Labrotory anyone)) was when I was going through my 80s music collection (10 or so years ago) and listened to the song "Speed Racer" by Devo .
Old 2008-05-07, 16:36   Link #10
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
This is a MUST watch show.

I really like how they took the concept of the original story and were able to expand it into something futuristic. It works very well. I am one of the last people to be affected by any type of movie 'hype' and this show caught my eye instantly when I first saw the clip in a preview.
It has a serious feel to it, like you must race to save the world! that is speed racer!
It wasn't originally so futuristic as the holly flick show it does it? It was more... old school wasn't it?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 00:06   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The cars and much of the technology was futuristic for the time... I never really thought about it but I guess it was kind of a 1960s look at the 21st century.
Old 2008-05-09, 10:27   Link #12
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I'm probably too young to have possibly watched the original, but I'm sure a re-run of this when I was a kid was instrumental to my eventually ending up liking the number '5' most of all. Strangely enough, I hardly remember anything about it at all...

You know, this is one of the last things I would expect to get a live-action movie; as much as for the utter camp of the premise as for the impossibility of the vehicular stunts. But while the latter can be overcome by CGI....wow, I dunno. It's still going to be camp.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 14:51   Link #13
james0246

Having seen it now...well it was as pretty as I expected. Imagine if the Pod-race scene from Star Wars Episode 1 was significantly longer, in fact a movie's length, then you would have the beauty and excellence of the race in Speed Racer. The growls of the engines were stimulating to the ears (mine at least) and the CGI was truly wonderful.

But, everything else was too serious, or maybe I should say that it was not camp enough. The actors took this a serious project (mostly) and consequently tried to live up to their roles (and they struggle valiently to do so), but the roles should have been played with tongue firmly in cheek, or at least the film would have been better if they had done so (I thought Matthew Fox did this quite a bit as the mysterious Racer X, which was good for his character).

Overall a fun summer film...but with no redeeming value and no possible future as a franchise (thankfully).