AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-18, 14:15   Link #21
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Not sure if you're watching Hanasaku Iroha or not, but for those who are, I'm curious what they think of my observation here.
I hardly see any similarities between Ohana and Ringo, sorry . Both are full of energy ok, but that's it... Ohana is a normal girl, very optimistic who deals straightforwardly with her problems.
Ringo is trying to get pregnant with her deceased sister ex-boyfriend to patch her family together. By following some crazy artifact instructions. Does that sounds straightforward to anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
On a more serious note. I do hope Ringo doesn't end up with Sho. A girl doesn't always have to shack up with hero B to fulfill themselves you know.
Amen. (m__)m
Old 2011-09-18, 14:43   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
I hardly see any similarities between Ohana and Ringo, sorry . Both are full of energy ok, but that's it...
Both clearly put family first, make friends easily (a mere few hours after meeting one another, Ringo and Himari are BFFs), enjoy cooking, and are very optimistic.

Quote:
Amen. (m__)m
What's wrong with Ohana/Ko? Er, I mean Ringo/Sho?

(See, there's already another similarity starting )

Kirarakim is right - The two compliment each other well. And I really don't think that some "crucible of stress" is the only reason why Sho likes Ringo. He's clearly been fond of her for awhile now, imo.

As you know, I'm not saying that there's no other potential Ringo pairing that I'd be happy with, but Ringo/Sho has been developed pretty well, I have to admit.
Old 2011-09-18, 15:12   Link #23
Kirarakim

Quote:
As you know, I'm not saying that there's no other potential Ringo pairing that I'd be happy with, but Ringo/Sho has been developed pretty well, I have to admit.

Yes that is exactly why I enjoy Ringo/Sho. I love the development of their relationship so far. And well I have always had a thing for characters thinking they were in love with one character only in the end to realize that they really have feeling for someone else.

I don't think Ringo needs a man just like I don't think Shouma needs a woman. Need has nothing to do with it. I just think they make a great team.

And I definitely do not need to pair everyone up either. Right now Ringo/Shouma is the only potential ship I see. Well I definitely don't support Kanba/Himari.
Old 2011-09-18, 15:43   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I don't think Ringo needs a man just like I don't think Shouma needs a woman. Need has nothing to do with it.
I think Ringo badly needs someone to openly love her and like her.

But it doesn't have to be in the context of "romance". It could also be in the context of "family" (for example, if her father tried to rebuild his family bond with her, and spent a lot of time with her, that itself could do it).

This, I think, is at the true root of Ringo's character: Deep down, I think she's quite lonely and wants to feel part of a close, loving family.

Shouma might not need a woman, but I think he needs someone to give him a bit more sense of purpose in life. Again, this doesn't have to be achieved through romance, but it could be.

I sometimes think that Shouma has a bit of an inferiority complex towards his brother.

Quote:
Well I definitely don't support Kanba/Himari.
I'd be content if Kanba ends up single. You could argue that he needs to get over Himari, but he doesn't strike me as a man who needs a romantic partner in his life.

Himari is still too much of a blank slate for me to say much about her either way.
Old 2011-09-18, 15:51   Link #25
Kirarakim

Yes I can see both the needs you are talking about. I just mean I don't think either Ringo or Shouma need a romantic relationship. That's not why I like them together.

But regardless I think together they can be good for each other and help each other grow in a way.
Old 2011-09-18, 16:03   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Everyone's favorite stalker girl ('cept that grump Enzo's, but he enjoys genericshonenexostuff, so insert witty remark about opinions ) will never be another Ohana.
Yes, clearly Ringo is adored by everyone here except me.
Old 2011-09-18, 16:07   Link #27
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Everyone's favorite stalker girl ('cept that grump Enzo's, but he enjoys genericshonenexostuff, so insert witty remark about opinions ) will never be another Ohana.
We don't need bad blood between people here. It's one thing to argue against an opinion, its another to stoop down to ad hominem. Don't do this please. It only makes it much harder to discuss stuff without sparks flying about and that shit is never cool.

OT: Ringo is a character character. If you get the drift and I do like her. That's saying something because I kind of hated her character design and those are generally hard to override as far as I go.
Old 2011-09-18, 16:11   Link #28
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, I have mixed feelings about Ringo myself, but at least I like that she has/had a goal of her own to act on and wasn't just a plot device for other characters to react to.

So I like her better than Himari at least.
Old 2011-09-18, 16:11   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post

OT: Ringo is a character character. If you get the drift and I do like her. That's saying something because I kind of hated her character design and those are generally hard to override as far as I go.
Does she look too plain to you? Or is it something else?

Just curious.
Old 2011-09-18, 16:14   Link #30
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's definitely closer to the opposite right?

I feel I am one of the few that appreciates her character. Well either way she is definitely a polarizing character.

On another note I don't always agree with Enzo (and especially not always when it comes to this series) but I don't think his tastes are generic at all.
Old 2011-09-18, 16:19   Link #31
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
It's definitely closer to the opposite right?
Ringo was badly overused from Episodes 2 to 8, and that turned a lot of people against her I think (I myself was getting a bit sick of her - or, at least of her mission - after Episode 8).

So I don't blame her for it. I blame Ikuhara.

Honestly, most characters would probably not look so great after being forcefed to viewers for 7 episodes straight.

Quote:

On another note I don't always agree with Enzo (and especially not always when it comes to this series) but I don't think his tastes are generic at all.
Agreed. Although creb might have been trying to be ironic there. I mean, I really don't get the impression that Enzo's favorite anime genre is shonen.
Old 2011-09-18, 16:32   Link #32
Kirarakim

Quote:
Agreed. Although creb might have been trying to be ironic there. I mean, I really don't get the impression that Enzo's favorite anime genre is shonen.
Yeah possibly, I am definitely guilty of missing sarcasm on the Internet.

But back to Ringo! I can definitely understand so much focus on her might have been overkill for some viewers. I just realized that the focus can't stay on her throughout the series because there was so much more story to tell. Thus it didn't bother me as much as it did for other viewers. Of course we will still have to see what the end result is. And hopefully so much focus on Ringo in earlier episodes won't effect the development of other characters in later episodes.

Not that I think Ringo's story is done by any means. But I think other characters will have more of the spotlight now (starting with Kanba probably).
Old 2011-09-18, 16:42   Link #33
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Does she look too plain to you? Or is it something else?

Just curious.
I don't really know how to put it but I shall try. Erm... she kind of looked like a bitch. A bitch she is. And bitches are awesome. But the normal, whiny type of bitch that I usually associate with a design like hers are just a drag. I am very glad she turned out to be quirky and much more of a bitch thus being Fabulous Max instead.

Quote:
Ringo was badly overused from Episodes 2 to 8, and that turned a lot of people against her I think (I myself was getting a bit sick of her - or, at least of her mission - after Episode 8).

So I don't blame her for it. I blame Ikuhara.

Honestly, most characters would probably not look so great after being forcefed to viewers for 7 episodes straight.

That's subjective. I myself liked her much more because she was forceful and downright crazy. Had she been represented as just another girl with a crush on someone older etc. ... I would have most definitely hated her.

I don't really care for directors but hats off to the director for having the balls to "forcefeed" - that's not something many people can do. And its necessary to have the balls to go through with your vision just as much as it is to listen to people and improve yourself accordingly. And whether or not that was forcefed is again subjective. I think of it merely as stressing some qualities in her character and consider the attention she got justified given her prominence in the show. In a show like this one, it's rather impossible - nay, downright stupid - to tell the audience what's going on everywhere in tandem so I agree with the decision to focus on different sides of the story for a while then switch etc. But we will see how it all pans out once its all done.

Creb may indeed have been speaking sarcastically there - given that I don't perceive him as the type to make a remark like that especially with that level of venom
But as I have witnessed in the past few weeks - its best to assume that people won't understand you, your sense of humor or your sarcasm etc. than to risk offending someone.
Old 2011-09-18, 16:57   Link #34
Spoonroo

Quote:
I don't really care for directors but hats off to the director for having the balls to "forcefeed" - that's not something many people can do. And its necessary to have the balls to go through with your vision just as much as it is to listen to people and improve yourself accordingly. And whether or not that was forcefed is again subjective. I think of it merely as stressing some qualities in her character and consider the attention she got justified given her prominence in the show. In a show like this one, it's rather impossible - nay, downright stupid - to tell the audience what's going on everywhere in tandem so I agree with the decision to focus on different sides of the story for a while then switch etc. But we will see how it all pans out once its all done.
Total agreement here - I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 2011-09-20, 05:19   Link #35
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'm hoping for a scene where Ringo and Shouma talk about all the stuff in the diary that Ringo has been following and they figure out that it's Shouma who she has been doing all that with.
Old 2011-09-23, 02:40   Link #36
Kyuu
=^^=

It's decided. This girl is very disgusting and vulgar. But there's still hope for her.
Old 2011-09-23, 02:44   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

At the moment, Ringo seems like a mix of a yandere (for Tabuki) and a Type A tsundere (for Sho).

An anime character that is half-yandere/half-Type A tsundere would have been my worst nightmare a month ago... so it's kind of shocking that I'm genuinely liking Ringo, as she fuses two character types together that I typically can't stand.
Old 2011-09-23, 02:47   Link #38
Forsaken_Infinity

I don't think she is dere at all for Tabuki. It was just crazy shit that she made herself believe.

I wouldn't classify her as a tsundere either. Sure she was quite harsh on Sho this episode but that slapstick violence in an episode where she basically had to give up everything she stood for isn't enough to classify her as a tsundere imo. Girls are generally bitchy after all (imho) - and she's a crazy bitch at that. Not to mention being called an idiot for making a tough choice would earn Sho a slap from any girl nevermind Ringo the psycho who climbed up a tunnel to whoop Crystal Princess' a** lol.
Old 2011-09-23, 17:24   Link #39
Spoonroo

Quote:
I wouldn't classify her as a tsundere either. Sure she was quite harsh on Sho this episode but that slapstick violence in an episode where she basically had to give up everything she stood for isn't enough to classify her as a tsundere imo. Girls are generally bitchy after all (imho) - and she's a crazy bitch at that. Not to mention being called an idiot for making a tough choice would earn Sho a slap from any girl nevermind Ringo the psycho who climbed up a tunnel to whoop Crystal Princess' a** lol.
She does seem tsundere though, across the series. Everything about how she was ordering him around when he was helping her move under Tabuki's house, and the whole way she treated him when they went bird-watching, and at the party at Yuri's house, dragging him by the ear and all, felt tsudere to me. Even the way she talks and orders Sho around in most of their interactions. My sister, who doesn't watch very much anime, even remarked that Ringo talking to Sho in those scenes Tabuki) reminded her of Haruhi talking to Kyon in that other show, hahaha. Personally I think the tsundere thing didnt seem as direct before because she was missing the part about liking Sho but acting like she didn't. She was very Tsun, and from how she was acting from the last episode through when she started talking to Sho on the train, before Sho opened his mouth, seemed like she was heading for dere territooy.

But from this episode alone, I agree that I wouldn't classify her as tsundere, - Sho earned and deserved much of those slaps - particulraly the first set on train, I felt Ringo was kind of justified for that - and I've seen guys in real life get slapped for doing less!
Old 2011-09-23, 17:55   Link #40
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonroo View Post
Sho earned and deserved much of those slaps - particulraly the first set on train, I felt Ringo was kind of justified for that - and I've seen guys in real life get slapped for doing less!
Agreed. Sho was genuinely being a callous jerk there. First time I've seen him like that.

Tags
characters