AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-01-29, 20:46   Link #101
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Well, I'm glad that this topic wasn't flamed to death like everyone said it was going to be...

Anyway, next question. What does everyone think about how women are treated/act in Japan?
Old 2006-01-30, 12:26   Link #102
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Well, personally i have no clue how Japan's cultrue is really true to be within the scope of anime. Since anime often depict women as butt kicking girls, or a really nice all around women.

If Azreal's edititorials are true to be, then it seems that they have much the same right as America, eh? Or am i wrong?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 17:56   Link #103
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
Well, personally i have no clue how Japan's cultrue is really true to be within the scope of anime. Since anime often depict women as butt kicking girls, or a really nice all around women.
There's gotta be at least a few ppl that know about Japanese politics in a forum that is revolved around an aspect of Japanese culture...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
If Azreal's edititorials are true to be, then it seems that they have much the same right as America, eh? Or am i wrong?
The same rights... as far as I know, yes. But I'm talking about how differently females and males act(attitude, politeness, roles, etc)
Old 2006-02-01, 21:51   Link #104
TrueKnight

Females in Japan were actually still regarded as 2nd class citizens based on the infos I got from a few marines and soldiers who were or still stationed in Okinawa or near Tokyo.

Like somebody already said, Japan is basicly a xenophobic, robotic and male-dominated society. Their government were so scared shitless because their females are running out of the country or marrying foreigners that they decided to pass the first constitution regarding female equality.

But really, women in Japan are really about the same with other women in the world regarding their attitude. Some of them are bitches, some of them aren't.

Last I checked the numbers of high-school girls who're still virgins in Tokyo were only around 9-14 %. That's Japan for you.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 22:04   Link #105
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight
But really, women in Japan are really about the same with other women in the world regarding their attitude. Some of them are bitches, some of them aren't.

Last I checked the numbers of high-school girls who're still virgins in Tokyo were only around 9-14 %. That's Japan for you.
Actually, while you're probably about right in that Japanese women possess the same RANGE of attitudes as does the females of the rest of the world.. I disagree that they are in equal proportion. I think that you'd probably find them more conservative/subservient on average; if only because of the male-dominated culture. I think that's the attraction of Japanese girls to so many foreigners.

Also, I did hear about something like; the average age of girls losing their virginity in Tokyo was 13 I found it unbelievable, but they have a pervasive sugar-daddy culture, and they think it's "cool" to have sex. Then again, how many teenagers in urban societies don't...?
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 22:43   Link #106
Polaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but men and women are, and should always be different... But that don't make them unequal.

It'd be like saying that every culture in the world should act the same because our differences make us unequal. I mean over the years, isn't it a culture of sorts that has developed as 'gender roles'? Sure the roles have been created from society, but so have many of our most important values.

So what if some of us are at home raising our family? So what if some of us are out having careers and getting jobs? And so what if on average women are more productive doing the former, while men are better at the latter? There should be seperate roles in our society, BUT we shouldn't be forced to assume a cirtain role. Only one that workes for us INDIVIDUALLY.

Everyone should stop the hate and get along with each other, IMO. Discuss.
The issue of men and women being treated unequal is not really as big as it was. Now more men are choosing to stay home with their kids when they are babies and the mothers are the ones keeping the job and bringing in the money. In terms of jobs, I see women doing "men" jobs all the time. There are TONS of female cops for example. A guy at my work is dating a cop and she gets paid good bucks just like all the male cops.

Of course that is North America that I speak of. You can't really go around saying that other countries are wrong for how they treat men vs women. It's just their culture. Some countries are just accustomed to having the male do all the work and bring home the money while having the female stay at home and clean. Some countries hold men higher than women. Sure, it's wrong in our eyes but we have to understand that in their culture, that's just the way things go. We can't change a whole culture just because of our own beliefs. I'm not saying that what they do is right but that's just a part of what they believe in.
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-02, 13:35   Link #107
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris
I see women doing "men" jobs all the time. There are TONS of female cops for example. A guy at my work is dating a cop and she gets paid good bucks just like all the male cops.
I see that in my country as well
the shadowside about it is that men are judged much more critical
since law-enforcement is ordered to sign up more women, whether they
meet the physical/mental requirements or not

it's called positive discrimination
Old 2006-02-09, 02:31   Link #108
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Hi, all, I'm late to the thread too.

I mistrust the idea that "feminism" means "gender equality". The word sounds like "bias towards female" just like how "chauvanism" means "biased towards male".

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 14:49   Link #109
Lumir

Being in Okinawa Japan for 7yrs i believe i have a good idea about japanese women.

First off japan is alot nicer then america in many ways. It is some what true that males are regarded more important, but from what i have seen the only reason this is true is due to the fact that it is there culture. The females treat males with great respect and in return they are given respect back.

When you enter into a japanese store such as family mart, oki mart and such as soon as you enter you are greeted. When you check out they kindly accept your money if you give it to them directly, they also bow down and say thank you. Japanese/Okinawan women are very respectful and faithful, as for the school girls they are playful and have a style of there own.

The females are beautiful there and kind. Im not to shure about main land Japan but Okinawa has some what of its own culture as it used to not be a part of Japan. It is true that the females are getting married to american soldiers alot now days, and thats simply because they have more rights and opertunities in america. I often saw couples of american and Japanese.

I really wish i could go back, and maby one of these days i will. Hope this was informational and helpful to all those wondering out there.
Lumir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 14:56   Link #110
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious
Hi, all, I'm late to the thread too.

I mistrust the idea that "feminism" means "gender equality". The word sounds like "bias towards female" just like how "chauvanism" means "biased towards male".

-k

curious
Actually, chauvanism refers to bais towards one's own gender. Feminism have been called Female Chauvanism, but then they couldn't use that term against men.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 19:09   Link #111
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
Actually, chauvanism refers to bais towards one's own gender. Feminism have been called Female Chauvanism, but then they couldn't use that term against men.
Gah, those are the worst kind of ppl, IMO. Either you despise them for degrading your gender by talking it down, or they give your gender a bad name by being a total jerk.

To quote the Garfield: "They all need to be drug out to the street and shot."

"...out of a cannon!"(okay, I made that part up )
Old 2006-02-14, 13:03   Link #112
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diodati
I'm quite amazed that a select few have damaged everyone elses work.
Be amazed then...its not just Feminism (the "true" ones of course) that suffers from such human judgement.

I'll go off topic (since my post has more about human and society behaviour rather than about fake or true Feminism, its only appropritate to call it off topic)

This is a post I made in regards to my first line. Dont bother reading it if you think humans are the greatest creations of God, because you will be offended.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...6&postcount=60
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 04:17   Link #113
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Be amazed then...its not just Feminism (the "true" ones of course) that suffers from such human judgement.

I'll go off topic (since my post has more about human and society behaviour rather than about fake or true Feminism, its only appropritate to call it off topic)

This is a post I made in regards to my first line. Dont bother reading it if you think humans are the greatest creations of God, because you will be offended.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...6&postcount=60
Yeah, stereotypes are harsh sometimes, and completely inaccurate.

Take me, for example. While I am an anime lover, avid Pokémon TCG player, and collector of Transformers action figures(yay for shape-changing robots!!!), not to mention that I have literally no normal life... I'm also not overweight(under 200 pounds), and I'm engaged too. I might consider myself a loser for different reasons though(I'm as dumb as a post ), no one really looks down on me.
Old 2006-02-15, 04:59   Link #114
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Feminism is good if moderated. As a guy I still think women have their rights, and are equal with men, but different.

Excessive feminism is what is intolerable for me as a guy. Saying that women are more than men, saying that they are higher than men ... this makes me just want to cite specific examples to give them their just desserts.

I myself like reading the feminist movement in literature, appreciate women in general. This may sound idiotic to you, but I don't fantasize women I respect. Even though they be really hot (I've known quite few), I respect them both in my body and in my mind.

I also despise excessive masculinity. That's empty talk. I admit, I love watching anime. So what's so gay about that? I like reading books and staying at home. What's so gay about that? I'm still a virgin, even when I'm almost 18. So what's too bad with that?

I hate putting people into stereotypes, but am at fault with it a lot of times as well. I can admit, I've judged - wrongly at that - but who hasn't?
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 08:10   Link #115
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
I hate putting people into stereotypes, but am at fault with it a lot of times as well. I can admit, I've judged - wrongly at that - but who hasn't?
That a very normal course of action, really. Problem is, we're dealing with mankind (ourselves) here.

Here is what I think human beings are:
Spoiler:

Taking all points into consideration, its not really surprising that we dont accept differences as much as we portray ourselves to be able to.

Its like saying, we will help the poor and needy while we are in comfort, but when we are suddenly (unexpectedly) confronted with them (namely, people who seem like they are near death, or potentially contain life-threatening viruses), we shun them like some disease. A contradiction, thats what our race is.

Regarding Feminism...I dont have a say in this since I've hardly experienced it here on Singapore. But as stated, "true Feminism" is definately nothing thats wrong, the "sterotyped fem-nazis who claim to be feminist" are a definate nono. But as it is, it is impossible to sieve(sp?) out these "bad eggs".

Last edited by Eclipze; 2006-02-15 at 22:54.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 08:52   Link #116
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It's sieve.

Hell, I like reading Virginia Woolf and Angela Carter although I'm a guy. I don't choose sex when I read (or maybe I do, because from my experience, a lot more guys are better writers of classics than women) but I am open to read great women writers, which can be counted by the fingertips. (Great in my opinion, of course.)
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote