AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-04, 10:03   Link #41
Greenish Growth

Did any of the characters sing in the Romantic Radio dramas? I never listened to any of them since I wouldn't understand enough of what they were saying to justify it.

I wish they would do more stories that take place during Taishou Era. After being exposed to Sakura Wars and manga such as Sakura no Ichiban, I've always wanted to see more of it. I rather enjoy seeing the hakama period clothing also.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 11:37   Link #42
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

Best anime of the new season so far. The main character is really cute.
Kimura sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 12:08   Link #43
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I wasn't going to watch this at first but after a while I thought "what the heck" and gave it a test run anyway.

I was really surprised about the random musical number Koume did at the start as that definitely was the hooker that got my attention being both embarrassingly hilarious and cute at the same time. But that was the highlight of the episode as the rest of it was rather normal and slow moving. I don't see this series as being the exciting type at all so continuing with it may be a drag. Still it isn't offensive in anyway and was rather enjoyable in a normal way.

At least the characters are all cute and entertaining, especially Koume who is constantly blushing
She does look like a cute doll doesn't she

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 12:48   Link #44
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Really liked the first episode - the musical number threw me a little at first, but I guess it does help set the stage, and the backgrounds and setting really did a good job setting up the 'feel' of the Taishou Era. Little details like the old guy who rings the bell for changing classes I thought were a good touch too. Koume's line about how her father's Meiji and not Taishou made me laugh - seems like the generation gap is something that probably goes all the way back to the Stone Age... Anyway, I never thought I'd be looking forward to an episode of Taishou-era baseball anime more than the next episode of Haruhi, but that's where I am.

Spoiler for rampant speculation based on ep 1:
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 14:00   Link #45
Tatakae

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
I think it's the history of (modernized) Japan up until 1925 C.E., the year this show takes place.
It's the history of taisho japan and of the rest of the world (the russian revolution is mentioned or the independence of nepal from India, for example).

I like how they use right to left reading for horizontal kana/kanji lines instead of the usual left to right as it has become common after WWII. That's a nice kind of detail. I do however question the authenticity of the sailor suits because they look rather like modern, cute anime-sorts of suits (short tops) as for what I presume was reality.
Tatakae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 00:44   Link #46
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Is that Mai Nakahara as Akiko pulling off her mature voice? I'm also hearing Mamiko Noto as Souya and at least two more aside from the two main girls that I'm sure I know but I can't put my finger on. I'm also pretty sure I heard Yukari Tamura once or twice. Anyone got the casting list?....
You can look at my season preview blog post (main link in my sig), which outlines cast and staff for all new anime and links to each show's Anime News Network page, which usually has the full cast list.

For this show (from ANN):
Itō, Kanae as Koume Suzukawa
Arai, Satomi as Anna Garland
Fujimura, Ayumi as Noriko Obari
Goto, Saori as Kochou Kikusaka
Hino, Satoshi as Saburou Kiya
Hirohashi, Ryou as Tamaki Ishigaki
Kaida, Yuko as Tomoe Tsukiei
Katou, Masayuki as Sousuke Iwasaki
Kawada, Shinji as Tomochika Takahara
Kitamura, Eri as Shizuka Tsukiei
Makino, Yui as Kyouko Sakurami
Nakahara, Mai as Akiko Ogasawara
Noto, Mamiko as Yuki Munetani
Ueda, Kana as Noe Kawashima
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 12:07   Link #47
Dop
Mmmm....

I'm not really into sports-themed anime, so this wasn't high on my list of things to watch, but having seen the first episode I'll definitely stick around for some more.
I do like the period theme, that sets this series apart a bit, and the spurious song at the beginning was brilliant. But will Koume ever stop blushing?
I enjoyed it, if they keep it as good as the first episode was I'll definitely watch more..
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 17:15   Link #48
Greenish Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakae View Post
I do however question the authenticity of the sailor suits because they look rather like modern, cute anime-sorts of suits (short tops) as for what I presume was reality.
Imagine how difficult it would be to pitch while wearing that. Not to mention how hot it would feel.

It wouldn't be easy while wearing hakama either.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 21:28   Link #49
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I'm not really into sports-themed anime, so this wasn't high on my list of things to watch, but having seen the first episode I'll definitely stick around for some more.
I do like the period theme, that sets this series apart a bit, and the spurious song at the beginning was brilliant. But will Koume ever stop blushing?
I enjoyed it, if they keep it as good as the first episode was I'll definitely watch more..
Yeah the only annoying aspect for me is how Koume looks with the blush look always on. The first time I saw her when she turned around I had the "ugh not the moe look" reaction. But other than that I enjoyed the first episode.
Quote:
Spoiler for .:
That's what I thought as well. My guess he's in the baseball team that she's going to have a match with.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 10:07   Link #50
typhonsentra

God, that first song she sings is too cute!
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 15:57   Link #51
Falkor

loved the first episode as much as you guys did, especially the musical number at the beginning... (not really adding anything new to what has been already said) :P

I was youtubing for the musical and I somehow came across with what I believe is the song the episode was playing homage to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtube_info
翻訳サイトを通せば日本語でも読めます。
The popular song of this Japan was composed in 1919, and became a great hit.
The person of composition is a young man of 17 years old called Satsuki Soeda.

If it is a person living in U.S.A. understood it, he attached a text to "Marching Through Georgia".

The original meaning of "Enka" is "A song of a political speech".
They pronounced it "En_zetsu_ka" in the Japanese, and people called "Enkashi" sang.
※(En_zetsu:political speech, ka:song)

This song is song of the time when "Enka" was still used in an original meaning.

The contents of the text are criticism of an introduction of Tokyo and the politics of Tokyo.
A lot of parodies were made.

The song which made "the life and a human feeling" a text later appeared.
These were called "Enka" in a meaning called "a fascinating song".
※(En:fascinating, ka:song)
It is said that this became present "Enka".

The image is scenery of Tokyo of the 1930's.
and i thought it was just a random song...
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 16:28   Link #52
Riful
Of The West

I thought it was random enka XD but that's really exactly the same song, nice find. ^^
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 00:42   Link #53
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Very charming little first episode...Especially enjoy it being set during a time period that I'm extremely unfamiliar with as far as Japan goes. Like MeoTwister5 mentioned it seems like the time period will allow for some social commentary, how much (Or how deep) to expect though I couldn't really get a feel for from the first episode.

I did find it funny the girl wanted to wear a sailor uniform when the their all the same while the Kimono's seem to atleast allow some choice in individual colors, but then I'm a product of the public school system where the mere thought of uniforms was hated and individuality was pushed asfar as the dress codes would allow for.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 05:17   Link #54
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Wow. If Princess Nine was like climbing a mountain, then Taisho Yakyuu Musume is like... climbing Mount Everest.

I love seeing underdog stories, but this one is almost too unbelievable even in fiction. That said, that's why it's so charming. So cute to see the culture of almost 100 years ago. I almost forget that way back then, Baseball was only like 25-30 years old.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 05:24   Link #55
Dop
Mmmm....

Marching through Georgia!
I KNEW I knew the tune from somewhere, but couldn't work out what it was!
Thanks Falkor, for finding that information.

That just adds wonderfully to the period flavour.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 05:25   Link #56
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Didn't realize this was out. I was supposed to be giving it a test run so now I can do that tomorrow. Seasons definitely getting into full swing now. (no pun intended)

I'll just say for now that hearing this is supposed to be a period piece has caused my interest to shoot up quite a bit.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 05:47   Link #57
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Didn't realize this was out. I was supposed to be giving it a test run so now I can do that tomorrow. Seasons definitely getting into full swing now. (no pun intended)

I'll just say for now that hearing this is supposed to be a period piece has caused my interest to shoot up quite a bit.
From what I was told and what I've seen, it's more period piece with baseball as the vehicle than anything else. I hope this stays through the entire series, since the first episode has made it and Aoi Hana jump into my must watch list for Summer.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 06:20   Link #58
Fuze

After watching the first episode, I am now curious about women's rights during the Taisho era. Akiko's motive feels like some sort of feminist movement, girl power if you will, only through baseball.

That Tokyo Bushi find is priceless. Although, Koume sings it far less Enka-like. I did however feel like the BGM was inspired by Enka.
Fuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 12:44   Link #59
SirusRiddler
Mari-nyan <3

I just finished watching the second episode (currently in Tokyo) and I think it's a keeper thus far. The star-studded seiyuu cast does a good enough job to keep me interested. :3

I still can't get over how much the character do look like im@s characters. J.C. Staff had nothing to do with Xenoglassia so it's a crazy aesthetic coincidence I suppose. Speaking of which, J.C. Staff sure has been busy of late.

"Choose your own legacy, it's for you to decide." - Solid Snake
SirusRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 13:34   Link #60
Raiga
tl;dr

Loved the little musical number at the beginning of the first episode. Definitely a unique way to kick off the series and introduce the setting, and I thought it was fun.

Anyway, watched the second ep a bit ago although something weird happened with the audio on the stream I was using halfway through so I didn't catch all of what was going on but in any case I'm enjoying the series so far.

Spoiler:

Tags
baseball, japan, seinen