2. Ultra320 *all the Seagate that Im looking at come as Ultra320*
3. 68 pin *same as above, but they also have 80pin ones*
4. 2 Devices
5. Internal
6. Dont need Raid support only gunna use 2 drives
7. I dont care just want something good and dependable

[...]

*edit* this is what the specs say on my mobo about the pci slots

• Five PCI 2.2 32-bit Master PCI Bus slots. (support 3.3v / 5v PCI bus interface)
Hmm... I don't know of any Ultra320 SCSI cards that don't use 64-bit PCI slots.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 23:53   Link #122
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Ya Imma have to can the SCSI drives. Since my PCI slots are 32MB I cant use the drives I want. And the rpm I want only come in Ultra320 . Oh well Im going to make use of that SATA support than w/ some WD 10k Raptors. Not as fast or as quite as the Seagates though, but quite effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
i wouldnt bother getting 2 Highspeed drives- i think more anime storage is more important that gast load times on said anime.
Getting the HDD's for OS and programs thats all that they will hold so they wont be big. For storing all my anime Ill just use the IDE's. Im only planing to have one 200-250GB IDE drive for now and if I need to I can still add another one. 250GB goes a really long way for me considering I keep a 20GB pretty clean w/ 6GB to spare most of the time.

I get payed again this week so I get to order MORE PARTS XD!!! This comp will be Running by the end of the month. Maybe not completly finished, but it will be running w/ easy add on later stuff.
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 11:17   Link #123
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
Ya Imma have to can the SCSI drives. Since my PCI slots are 32MB I cant use the drives I want. And the rpm I want only come in Ultra320 . Oh well Im going to make use of that SATA support than w/ some WD 10k Raptors. Not as fast or as quite as the Seagates though, but quite effective.

Getting the HDD's for OS and programs thats all that they will hold so they wont be big. For storing all my anime Ill just use the IDE's. Im only planing to have one 200-250GB IDE drive for now and if I need to I can still add another one. 250GB goes a really long way for me considering I keep a 20GB pretty clean w/ 6GB to spare most of the time.
i see i see

party!

too bad about the SCSI drives though. you should however be able to get some decent SATA drives
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 19:36   Link #124
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Even though it is not out yet, check out this for your heat sink. 120mm fan...

Spoiler for picture:
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 11:32   Link #125
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
Even though it is not out yet, check out this for your heat sink. 120mm fan...

Spoiler for picture:
wow that thing looks hella heavy. I wonder how the mounting will hold up w/ it. I kinda like this one better than that Zalman due to the fact it doesnt have 2 dinky mounting spots. I wouldnt mind getting my hands on one of those XP-120's. I hope they come out before im ready to turn my bad boy on ^_^.
Old 2004-06-05, 20:20   Link #126
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
wow that thing looks hella heavy. I wonder how the mounting will hold up w/ it. I kinda like this one better than that Zalman due to the fact it doesnt have 2 dinky mounting spots. I wouldnt mind getting my hands on one of those XP-120's. I hope they come out before im ready to turn my bad boy on ^_^.
O_o that sucker looks HUGE... ... do you need a fan to go with it???
Old 2004-06-07, 12:43   Link #127
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

It says here that it is coming out in July, and that it only weighs 370 grams, so not that heavy. If you look at this picture, it actually hangs over the northbridge chipset on that board they were using so if you were using tall chipset cooler, like the NB-1 or the MCX159P, you might have trouble.

Oh, and, yes, it needs a 120mm fan
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 20:44   Link #128
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
It says here that it is coming out in July, and that it only weighs 370 grams, so not that heavy. If you look at this picture, it actually hangs over the northbridge chipset on that board they were using so if you were using tall chipset cooler, like the NB-1 or the MCX159P, you might have trouble.

Oh, and, yes, it needs a 120mm fan
Hmm early July eh.... I guess I can wait for it. I have a prescott cored P4 so I need something thatll keep it cool. I dont trust that stock fan that it comes w/ and I dont wanna test to see if it can even handle a medium work load when Im ready to turn this thing on.

And just an update on what I have so far

-MSI 875P Neo Mobo
-ATI Radeon Pro 128mb
-P4 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache *Prescott Core*

-ORDERING Case and PSU
Old 2004-06-07, 23:41   Link #129
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Hmm early July eh.... I guess I can wait for it. I have a prescott cored P4 so I need something thatll keep it cool. I dont trust that stock fan that it comes w/ and I dont wanna test to see if it can even handle a medium work load when Im ready to turn this thing on.

And just an update on what I have so far

-MSI 875P Neo Mobo
-ATI Radeon Pro 128mb
-P4 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache *Prescott Core*

-ORDERING Case and PSU
the stock fan should be fine (unless it doesnt look like an INTEL stock fan, which is F--ing ginormous) unless you OC it right off the bat.

(which you dont do)

O_o so the parts you have are collecting dust? Bad Sil_Eighty! bad!
Old 2004-06-08, 02:49   Link #130
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:
the stock fan should be fine (unless it doesnt look like an INTEL stock fan, which is F--ing ginormous) unless you OC it right off the bat.

(which you dont do)

O_o so the parts you have are collecting dust? Bad Sil_Eighty! bad!
heh... i dont need to OC this thing itll be fast enough as is. From what I've read, Prescott cores under full load "not OCed" run hot. I dont trust anything so might as well upgrade the cooling im not taking any chances >_<

My parts arent collecting dust!!! The boxes they are stowed in are!
Old 2004-06-08, 10:28   Link #131
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

The Prescott core, under load, creates an excess of 110Watt of energy...

An E-Z Bake oven creates less 100Watts of energy...

Tough comparison, but at least you can use your CPU to make muffins. ^^;

Old 2004-06-08, 10:38   Link #132
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
heh... i dont need to OC this thing itll be fast enough as is. From what I've read, Prescott cores under full load "not OCed" run hot. I dont trust anything so might as well upgrade the cooling im not taking any chances >_<

My parts arent collecting dust!!! The boxes they are stowed in are!
only ~79C...

you should be fine.

but i understand you not taking that chance
Old 2004-06-10, 00:10   Link #133
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

I just got my Case and PSU in today. Now I got my mobo and psu installed in the case. It looks so pretty ^_^. I would take pictures but my digi cam is on the frits atm ;_;

I opted for a slightly different case that i was looking at earlier in the thread. I got a powmax crystal black acrylic atx case for $88.

Drive bays: 5.25"x4, 3.5"x2
2x Front USB
Front Mic, Headphone
3x Case fans w/ red led's

PSU
Thermaltake 480W
-Black 2 fans
- PCI Slot and 5.25" drive bay fan speed controller *using PCI slot*

The thing that I noticed w/ this power supply though..... Is that im going to need alot of wire loom This thing has alot of conectors and right now the case is a mess w/ all these wires dangling around from what I have now and im still puting more stuff into it..... Im definately going with SATA drives now since they have the clean little cables. Im not having that thing cluster fucked by all big ass ribon lines >_<. yes i know about the round cables but they still take up quite a bit of room.

Anyways Im really happy with how this thing is turning out *visually* cant wait to see how it does when its finished!!!

*On the list to buy*

CPU Heat Sink
CD/DVD R drive/s
Floppy drive
DDR400 pc3200 ram
SATA HDD's
SATA controller card
LCD screen
Wireless Mouse/keyboard
Speakers
Old 2004-06-10, 01:14   Link #134
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Just while on the subject of CPU heatsinks. Check out these heatsinks. Damn, it's like a jet-engine fan mounted on top of your motherboard...anyone got any more info on those heatsinks? Looks so ridiculous it makes me want to get one just for the novelty of it...
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 10:30   Link #135
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Just while on the subject of CPU heatsinks. Check out these heatsinks. Damn, it's like a jet-engine fan mounted on top of your motherboard...anyone got any more info on those heatsinks? Looks so ridiculous it makes me want to get one just for the novelty of it...
Heh.

The best thing about that CPU heatsink and fan is that it won't in anything less than a full tower or server case. ^^;
Old 2004-06-10, 14:24   Link #136
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Heh.

The best thing about that CPU heatsink and fan is that it won't in anything less than a full tower or server case. ^^;
it wont fit?

of course not! heck! it probably wouldnt fit in under the PSU.

i think you are better off hozing down your CPU every few minutes think about the noise!
Old 2004-06-10, 19:00   Link #137
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
it wont fit?

of course not! heck! it probably wouldnt fit in under the PSU.

i think you are better off hozing down your CPU every few minutes think about the noise!
yeah, 'fit'. ^^; I typed it out too fast and missed a word. =P

I'm sure it would fit in a doube wide server chassis where the PSUs are near the top and the motherboard's mounted at the bottom. Bosin your CPU down doesn't sound that bad... If you're using a Prescott you could get a pretty good little sauna going. ^_-
Old 2004-06-10, 19:10   Link #138
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
I just got my Case and PSU in today. Now I got my mobo and psu installed in the case. It looks so pretty ^_^. I would take pictures but my digi cam is on the frits atm ;_;

I opted for a slightly different case that i was looking at earlier in the thread. I got a powmax crystal black acrylic atx case for $88.

Drive bays: 5.25"x4, 3.5"x2
2x Front USB
Front Mic, Headphone
3x Case fans w/ red led's
Do you think that 2 x 3.5'' slots will suffice since 1 is taken up by your Floppy drive and the other one with the HDD which leaves no more room for upgrades like another HDD and/or HDD fans you mount on the disk itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Looks like a small sized vacuum cleaner of the near future
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 01:14   Link #139
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Do you think that 2 x 3.5'' slots will suffice since 1 is taken up by your Floppy drive and the other one with the HDD which leaves no more room for upgrades like another HDD and/or HDD fans you mount on the disk itself.
Well Im going to get one of those all in one cd/dvd R burners so I still have 3 of the 5.25 slots for the HDD's. ATM i only plan on using 3 HDD's and maybe adding in a 4th later and running RAID 0 on 2 of them. As for cooling the HDD's I dont know. Ill see how hot it gets and Ill go from there. I can always figure out a way to mount more fans in the case.
Old 2004-06-12, 01:42   Link #140
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I felt like sharing this but didn't want to make a new thread for it. Sort-of relevent to this thread because it regards the (really pimpin') computer I built myself last summer. My mother sent me the following e-mail yesterday:

(Colby is my little brother)

Tyler: Last Thursday Colby announced that your computer
was 'fried'. We got a new power supply unit as the symptom was
that it just did not turn on. When that did not work, we got a new
mother board, processcor and four new fans. I have now spent
450.00 and Colby says it still is not working right.
What do you want me to do?

Please email us back...Colby is very sorry this happened, and we
will never know why, but he did say there were exposed wires from
a couple fans that were touching the case. This morning he
installed a virus protection thing that came with the new
processcor and it immediately said a hacker had just messed with
the system. (?)

Oh how I wept after reading this. I KNEW I should have never let my little brother touch my computer and fill it with all his online games and crap!!! Ohh my poor poor baby!

Does anyone have any idea what happened? It sounds like a short circuit, especially if the power supply didn't work. But could fan wires cause that? (They were Panaflow L1A's if that matters at all). Though the wires were touching, I'm pretty sure they were in their casing.

Dammit, and I was looking so forward to going home to be with my beautiful machine again (and then installing Linux on her)
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote