AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-26, 09:18   Link #61
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
no. the thread show be called: "The Rise of Haruhiism"

All hail Haruhiism!

Dammn you wiki for deleting my article on Haruhiism, just because the patrollers could only pull up 7 hits fof the word "haruhiism" on google...

well who's LAUGHING NOW EH?!!

Old 2006-04-26, 09:33   Link #62
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Request:

Proper Viewing of Episodes thread.
It seems to me that the right way to view the anime is view in order of what Haruhi's says at the begining of the previews.

What is said so far...

Episode "1" : ? (probably at least 8)
Episode "2" : 1st episode
Episode "3" : 2nd episode
Episode "4" : 7th episode
Episode "5" : 3rd episode

Most people are a little confused on the order of this anime... Though its designed to be this way.
Old 2006-04-26, 10:52   Link #63
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
yeah thats a good thing, it's getting tiring explaining why it's so confusing again and again. people just can't be bothered to read the previous post. dammit.
Old 2006-04-26, 11:30   Link #64
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
people just can't be bothered to read the previous post. dammit.
People who can't be bothered to read previous posts also aren't very likely to post anything worthwhile to the discussion (T_T) But that's just me, I might be used to more militant forums ^^

As for the proper way to watch the show? You should probably watch the episodes in the order they're released, of course... KyoAni probably has a really good reason for releasing the episodes in that order. Although a brief rewatch of excerpts from episode 0 after every new episode probably isn't totally out of line. I mean, the novels aren't out in chronological order (Not that I can read them (>_<::) , and you don't see people reading them out of order.

I don't know if the order of episodes really requires a thread of it's own, that could probably just be handled by a single sticky somewhere obvious, but a thread that discusses why the show is so popular and has such a viral spread of it's fanbase could be interesting. I just don't know that it'll have many posts, other than the "zOMG, I just saw this show, it rocks... LOLzOMFGBBQWFT Bangwagon +1 D00D!!!!one1!!1one"
Old 2006-04-26, 18:27   Link #65
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Or at least post the Episodes in which part of the story they are supposed to be in.
Since most will be lost. Its been awhile since I've seen an anime told in this way.

Of course the right way is how they air it. Its just a suggestion to help those who are alittle fuzzy where episodes should be in the overall story.

"Episodes in Cornological Order of Story line" might be a better name of the thread.
Old 2006-04-26, 22:15   Link #66
The Eternal Hijacker

Request Thread and Poll:

Thread Title: Suzumiya's SOS Brigade: The Most Subordinate Member

Poll Question: With the exception of Haruhi Suzumiya, who is the most subordinate member of the club?

Options:
1. Kyon
2. Yuki Nagato
3. Mikuru Asahina
4. Itsuki Koizumi

Intro: The agressive and ambitious Haruhi Suzumiya has successfully recruited several students into her own club. As members, they follow the direction and guidence of the club leader, Haruhi. Among them, there are some who are meek and submissive, and there are others who stand strong and defiant.

Of the club members, who is the most subordinate?
Old 2006-04-28, 14:24   Link #67
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Request Favorite Character Thread

If possible could the poll of the thread be a Public Poll with the multiple choice option... and the options to be very simple as in only the main characters (probably just using the characters that took part in the baseball match would be best)

Possible advantages of using the above system :
  • We get an accurate estimate on who is the most beloved character in the show
  • In the normal polls a character that's a solid #2 for everybody ends up with 0 or very few votes... it's very sad to see a character that you know and love at the same level with some ultra secondary character... I believe that some people may actually vote for that character just so he/she gets at least 1 vote, out of pity
  • Many people are usually very undecided when it comes to chousing Nr1... this way the poll is useful... because it suggests who really is Nr1
    Logic :
    The Nr1 character is the character that appears the most in peoples line ups, if he truly is the favorite character of the show then the majority needs to have him/her in there line up, even if he/she is second or third
  • By having a very dynamic poll (normal polls go linear after a few days or a week... who ever is Nr1 in that period usually stays Nr1) results have a chance to change and adapt to the new character development
  • In theory this system should eliminate the Main Character Bonus... giving a fair chance for all the characters (the disserving ones that is) to end up nr1...
  • People get to vote all of there 3 or more favorite characters... making everybody happy
    Possible problem : There's nothing wrong if people vote multiple characters simultaneously... this way the character line up posts become interesting

Logic :
    If someone votes all the characters then his/her vote will be equal to nothing since all the options will be incremented by one making no difference... the opposite is also true... if someone votes just one character then that character will get the maximum potential of the vote... the larger the number the less effect your vote will have on the poll

Also, this means that the serious people will count more since making stupid votes wont effect the statistics
  • The Favorite Character Poll becomes a very accurate "Less Loved" Character Poll for the show... 2 birds with one stone
  • Normal polls (sometimes) have this enormous amount of options that just don't get any attention... having multiple choices will max out on the points for each character and give a rough statistic on how popular that character is
  • The most important benefit IMO is that the poll will actually fuel the discussion... opening discussion for stuff like why is that character in second ... yes, I know you can discuss things like this in a normal thread, but the one who ends up in second in this poll, will actually be the second most beloved character and not the character that ended up in second place for the position of nr1 (there's slight difference between the two )... others possible things to discuss might be the characteristics that make up a good character

//Notes
That's all I could think of... if someone thinks I'm looking at it wrong then please reply me and tell me your opinion... most of the time things look/sound better when you make them when in reality they may have holes in them, so...

Please share your opinion... I'm open to any feedback be it positive or negative

P.S. I know its early for a poll... I think it would be best to create the thread and the poll (closed)... that way people can discuss all the little things and post who there favorite character is... and when the time comes to just open the poll...

Also it might be best to have the thread named Character Popularity thread because of the nature of the poll

P.P.S. If creating a the poll is too troublesome (takes too much of your time) then I could create the thread in the Forum & Site Feedback forums, send you a pm when its done and you can just cut/paste it here poll and all... what do you think?
Old 2006-04-28, 14:36   Link #68
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I like the idea, but how do we prevent what happened in the Shuffle forum from happening here? (i.e. all the endless campainging and other less savory stuff)
Old 2006-04-28, 15:07   Link #69
Julius Firefocht

Actually, I would rather not have a favourite character thread, just so we can keep the peace in this forum. I am sure Haruhi would not want to see her devotees fighting among themselves, campaigning for votes for her and her SOS-Dan minions.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2006-04-28, 15:17   Link #70
Adigard

Part of the problem is... we really don't know anything about most of these characters yet. Itsuki hasn't even been formally introduced as a character yet. We haven't been told the backstories about Mikuru or Itsuki. Maybe after a few more episodes? It'd work nicely if we could vote for our fav. characters now, then do the same (another poll) when we return to this point in the storyline. IE - after ep 6 airs.
Old 2006-04-28, 15:27   Link #71
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
What is said so far...

Episode "1" : ? (probably at least 8)
Episode "2" : 1st episode
Episode "3" : 2nd episode
Episode "4" : 7th episode
Episode "5" : 3rd episode

Most people are a little confused on the order of this anime... Though its designed to be this way.
This information is good and we'll probably include it in either the "Q & A" thread or tag it onto the "All about Suzumiya Haruhi" (which is sort of like a FAQ). We'll need to keep it updated, so if you want to edit your original post as the show goes on or PM me, that would be great. Thanks.

Cheers.
Old 2006-04-29, 11:28   Link #72
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
Request Favorite Character Thread
Hmmm....have all the characters been introduced?
Old 2006-04-29, 12:15   Link #73
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
There's two characters from the OP who have yet to be seen in the anime. So we can assume that not all the characters have been introduced yet.
Spoiler for but not a real spoiler ^^:

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-29 at 12:26.
Old 2006-04-29, 12:20   Link #74
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
There's two character from the OP who have yet to be seen in the anime. So we can assume that not all the characters have been introduced yet.
Spoiler for but not a real spoiler ^^:
If you want to be strict about it... it's actually only "one" character from the OP who hasn't been introduced (why its not "two" is a bit of a spoiler): The girl with light green wavy hair and hairclip - Emiri. Based on what happened in the novel, she will probably only appear in one episode (a more fillerish, one shot) for a very short amount of time.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-29, 13:29   Link #75
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
I like the idea, but how do we prevent what happened in the Shuffle forum from happening here? (i.e. all the endless campainging and other less savory stuff)
I never visited the Shuffle forum ...

*Goes to take a look*

lol they even have a Shuffle! Forum Post Quality thread

Hm... I see what you mean...
Spoiler for The awfull truth:

I see my idea isn't anything new... maybe the Public part... but that just might make things worse...

Strange I thought that if things like that happened they would be labeled as harassment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Rules
1.2 Do not insult or harass other members

Insults, harassment, flaming, trolling, baiting or other similar abusive behaviour towards other members of The Forum will not be tolerated. This includes the use of "retort images". Images used to convey a "come back" message (i.e. to "retort") are forbidden in all areas of The Forum, they are often offensive and only serve to ignite flame wars.
Technically they should also fall in the 2.1 Do not post nonsense and 2.6 Do not advertise your products, services or events maybe even the 2.7 No public personal conversations

I see a thread like this (favorite character thread, not just my version for it) would create a loop hole in the system ...

Just one question... why is it that these things are limited to the Shuffle forum... I mean why don't people go to "the extremes" in the normal 1 vote polls... I just don't get it
Part of the problem is... we really don't know anything about most of these characters yet. Itsuki hasn't even been formally introduced as a character yet. We haven't been told the backstories about Mikuru or Itsuki. Maybe after a few more episodes? It'd work nicely if we could vote for our fav. characters now, then do the same (another poll) when we return to this point in the storyline. IE - after ep 6 airs.
Sorry about that... I just thought that I had a something new... and wanted to post it before a request for a normal one got out ... I totally agree that for the thread to be created now would be... well... unreasonable... that's why I mentioned that if it were to be created now that it would be better temporarily close the poll... of course after seeing the Vote for your Top 5 characters in SHUFFLE! I feel really bad for even suggesting it ... its like suggesting people start doing the stuff in the spoiler tag above...

Actually, I would rather not have a favourite character thread, just so we can keep the peace in this forum. I am sure Haruhi would not want to see her devotees fighting among themselves, campaigning for votes for her and her SOS-Dan minions.
Agreed... if the chance the thread (be it multiple vote or single vote) would go the way Shuffle it won't be any fun... and doesn't make sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
how do we prevent what happened in the Shuffle forum from happening here? (i.e. all the endless campainging and other less savory stuff)
That’s such a headache... the problem is basically that you can't prevent it unless you go a little extreme... for example...
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Post Example
This is a thread for discussing the favorite characters in the show. Please try to vote your favorite characters in the anime and not from the novels.

Posts allowed :
  • Commenting on your vote (who's your Nr1 character, Nr2 and so on... and possibly why you voted them)
  • All posts related to the characters in the show... please keep 1 line posts to a minimum
The list above are just basic guidelines, feel free to have different types of posts and topics that fit in the bounds of "friendly discussion"

Posts not allowed :
  • Attacking other members for chousing different characters (discussing there motives is allowed as long as a reason/motive is provided for not agreeing)
  • Publicity posts of any kind or telling/suggesting to vote character X
  • IRC type discussions (read bellow)
IRC type discussions = discussion that follow very simple topics and where people use very simple posts (1 line)... these types of discussions are unwanted in the thread for very simple reasons :
  1. the subject of discussion usually expires after 1 week (or a couple of days)... and is sometimes repeated several times... after which they would classify as spam or less
  2. the 1 line posts are very hard to read (due to the distance between post, usually caused by the users signature and avatar)
  3. the discussion is/ or usually ends up 2 sided... which contradicts the basic concept of a forum (chatting is for IRC)
  4. discussions have a chance to become very personal
While chatting on the forum isn't prohibited, keeping it to a minimum is recommended, besides the reasons above, it has the tendency to hide the more serious topics...

For the posts not allowed please visit the animesuki's IRC channel #AnimeSuki
Unfortunately this is too extreme for the forum and making such rules makes the thread unfriendly

... there's one more thing that's wrong with the post above... I've also seen this before... when admins or mods direct people to the IRC channel whenever a problem like this arises... which frankly make no sense...

Wouldn't it be better to have different IRC channels... I mean you can't expect to have all the Fan Clubs discussing in the same channel... what are people suppose to do... ignore the members of the other Clubs

These discussions always look/sound better in IRC anyway... is it that hard to create an IRC channel?!... sorry I'm a n00b
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
I would like to think that they all have been introduced ... considering what melange said above... anyway the ideal timeframe for the thread is probably next ep... as in ep 8... which will come... some time in the future (if it wasn't ep00 )

*serious*... considering that Kyon's sister isn't that important... and the other two received some development in ep00 having a thread isn't that big of a deal... but considering the things that happened in the Shuffle Forum I'm starting to fear one...

There's one more thing that I found in the Shuffle thread... I'm guessing there are people here that don't go to that forum (like me) so I'll post the information :

Basically a Fan Club thread translates into stuff like this... Kill Kill Rin!!! Club!!!... some Fan Club ... and is in essence IRC copy/pasted into the forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eternal Hijacker
Options:
1. Kyon
2. Yuki Nagato
3. Mikuru Asahina
4. Itsuki Koizumi
1. I think that type of thread would encounter the same problem as the ones mine would...
2. Is that a novel spoiler I see ... isn't Yuki part of the library club... as far as Haruhi is concern she's just a friend that always stays and reads a book in the club room...

________

Ups... made the post a little too long ... Rrrr... that's what happens when you go from writing code to writing posts

P.S. I would like to thank everyone for the input... I really appreciate it
Old 2006-04-29, 13:50   Link #76
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Ups... made the post a little too long ... Rrrr...
Heh. Well, just to nip this discussion a bit before it overtakes this thread: I'll create a "Favorite Character" poll thread today. There will be a few new thread rules/posting etiquette tweaks, so make sure you read the first post. The main thing that we’d like to discourage is campaigning for votes for any particular character. We want to encourage general discussion about why people like particular characters. Campaigning posts will be deleted.

So…that said, can someone give me a complete list of characters that have appeared thus far? (main characters that you want to vote on)

We’ll do two polls: one now and another poll at the end of the series in case people have changed their mind. The polls will be Public (which means you user name will be logged to your vote) and multiple choice.

More in a minute…my phone is ringing…

Anyway...I'll create the first poll today. So taking this list of characters from The Eternal Hijacker’s post, can we limit the first poll to these four?

1. Kyon
2. Yuki Nagato
3. Mikuru Asahina
4. Itsuki Koizumi

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-04-29 at 14:12.
Old 2006-04-29, 14:03   Link #77
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Why don't we just use the names in the baseball line up...

Haruhi Suzumiya
Mikuru-Chan
Yuki
Kyon
Kyon's Sister
Koizumi-Kun
Kunikida
Tsuruya-san
Taniguchi

That's how afk translated it... I'm not sure if it's 100% correct ...

Anyway... this way there's no spoilers... although I'm not so sure who is who for some of them...
Old 2006-04-29, 14:27   Link #78
Adigard

It might be smart to wait a bit, and grab a picture or two of everyone (and their last names from the ep00 credits). Of course, if we're doing that the next ep airs in less than 20 hours ^^;;
Old 2006-04-29, 14:27   Link #79
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Why don't we just use the names in the baseball line up...

Haruhi Suzumiya
Mikuru-Chan
Yuki
Kyon
Kyon's Sister
Koizumi-Kun
Kunikida
Tsuruya-san
Taniguchi

That's how afk translated it... I'm not sure if it's 100% correct ...

Anyway... this way there's no spoilers... although I'm not so sure who is who for some of them...
I would actually recommend using their full names if they have one, to avoid confusion especially in the case of Koizumi Itsuki whom although he is only called "Koizumi" in the anime/novels we have all taken to calling him "Itsuki". So in Surname/Given Name fashion...

Suzumiya Haruhi
Asahina Mikuru
Nagato Yuki
Kyon
Koizumi Itsuki
Tsuruya
Taniguchi
Kunikida
Kyon's Sister
Asakura Ryoko
(you forgot about her )

The only one who hasn't been introduced yet but appears in the OP is
Kimidori Emiri

Another semi-important character who will likely to appear again (judging from the likelihood that the story Mysterious Sign in which Emiri appears will be used) is
Computer Society President (who has no name)

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-29, 14:42   Link #80
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Suzumiya Haruhi
Asahina Mikuru
Nagato Yuki
Kyon
Koizumi Itsuki
Tsuruya
Taniguchi
Kunikida
Kyon's Sister
Asakura Ryoko
Cool. I'll use these names for the first poll. Thanks.
Closed Thread