AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-05-18, 23:03   Link #21
Wesley84

Isn't Cathy like officially damaged goods since she's slept with another man though?
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 23:10   Link #22
ReddyRedWolf

Like as if the girl one ends up with is whose cherry was first popped.

Even if Cathy and Ozma don't end up wit each other I'm sure she'll dump Leon.
In a particularly painful way hopefully.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 23:13   Link #23
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Isn't Cathy like officially damaged goods since she's slept with another man though?
While women are expected to be virginal in many anime, this has never been the case in Macross. In fact, it's not too uncommon for either the main characters or important secondary ones to have sex (implied or otherwise).
Old 2008-05-18, 23:18   Link #24
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
While women are expected to be virginal in many anime, this has never been the case in Macross. In fact, it's not too uncommon for either the main characters or important secondary ones to have sex (implied or otherwise).
Then how come Leon's getting such a bad rap?
Old 2008-05-18, 23:21   Link #25
Westlo
Lets be reality

Probably because most people decided on Ozma and Kathy in episode 2 (lots of tension in their "confrontation" over Alto) and early episode 3 (Cathy was clearly upset at seeing Ozma injured) and went wtf when Leon kissed her. Also his hairstyle sucks and Ozma probably tapped Cathy before Leon did anyway.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 23:23   Link #26
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Spoiler for Macross Plus:

Spoiler for SDF Macross:

- Tak (and WHY THE HELL does Leon remind me Yzak Joule?)

Last edited by 4Tran; 2008-05-18 at 23:30. Reason: Please put information about older shows like that in spoiler tags.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 23:25   Link #27
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Probably because most people decided on Ozma and Kathy in episode 2 and went wtf when Leon kissed her. Also his hairstyle sucks and Ozma probably tapped Cathy before Leon did anyway.
I guess I'm to blame for not automatically trying to pair everyone up even before really knowing anything about them. And yes, his hairstyle does suck, and he's far too good at discerning his personal and professional life for his own good, but it's not like he's done or said anything to earn him "Final Villian" status as I've seen bantered about now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

As for secondary characters, you really didn't need a hint to realize that Roy n' Claudia were active in that particular field.

- Tak
No kidding? She performed a character in a Macross series? Very nice...
Old 2008-05-18, 23:26   Link #28
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Then how come Leon's getting such a bad rap?
Because the bastard is a sexual predator that's why!

Oh it's off office hours! Lets have sex!

I'm just waiting for President Glass to beat the crap out of this guy.
Old 2008-05-18, 23:27   Link #29
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Okay okay, stop it with the "damaged goods" please. There's nothing wrong with women having sex, guys. -_-
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 23:28   Link #30
Wesley84

^ Evidently there's a problem with a man having sex though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Because the bastard is a sexual predator that's why!

Oh it's off office hours! Lets have sex!

I'm just waiting for President Glass to beat the crap out of this guy.
Heaven forbid a man actually being aggressive sexually without being macho or perverted about it.
Old 2008-05-18, 23:29   Link #31
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Okay okay, stop it with the "damaged goods" please. There's nothing wrong with women having sex, guys. -_-
That depends on the list of 'partners' that particular woman have been associated with. The longer the list, the more costly my life insurance

- Tak
Old 2008-05-18, 23:29   Link #32
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Of course there isn't, pity the Haruka faction from KGNE can't buy a clue in regards to that.
Old 2008-05-18, 23:32   Link #33
ReddyRedWolf

KGNE? What's that?
Old 2008-05-18, 23:33   Link #34
Tak

^ Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Quote:
Of course there isn't, pity the Haruka faction from KGNE can't buy a clue in regards to that.
I encourage people to play the original game, and not touch that convoluted animated piece of crap.

- Tak
Old 2008-05-18, 23:36   Link #35
Westlo
Lets be reality

If it ever gets an English translation/release I will.. anyway to stay on topic let's predict Leon's Death...

Episode 24 in Battle Frontier/25! I really think Battle Frontier is going to go down if it has Leon and no names on it while the SMS crew stay on Quarter. Of course it's going to pack a massive punch before it does go down and heck it might even redeem Leon.
Old 2008-05-18, 23:45   Link #36
Wesley84

Yes, the UN Spacy has to be redeemend somehow.

May as well go out in a way that guarantees the lives of everyone in the SMS while also making sure that the other man gets the girl.
Old 2008-05-18, 23:48   Link #37
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

Spoiler for SDF Macross:
It's more than just that. In just about all Macross works, there's a certain amount of sexual activity, and it's almost never portrayed in a negative light. It's treated much more like a normal outgrowth of a relationship.

Quote:
Probably because most people decided on Ozma and Kathy in episode 2 (lots of tension in their "confrontation" over Alto) and early episode 3 (Cathy was clearly upset at seeing Ozma injured) and went wtf when Leon kissed her. Also his hairstyle sucks and Ozma probably tapped Cathy before Leon did anyway.
Quote:
I guess I'm to blame for not automatically trying to pair everyone up even before really knowing anything about them. And yes, his hairstyle does suck, and he's far too good at discerning his personal and professional life for his own good, but it's not like he's done or said anything to earn him "Final Villian" status as I've seen bantered about now and then.
There's three main reasons why Leon gets a bad rap: he's sinister, he's got a hidden agenda, and he seems to push Kathy around. I think that people complain about his relationship to Kathy because it's more convenient to do so than attacking his other points.

Leon is often seen as the "final villain" because that's the kind of role one would expect his character archetype to play in most anime. I don't think that this'll be the case at all.

Quote:
No kidding? She performed a character in a Macross series? Very nice...
Yup, now go and watch Macross Plus. It won't add all that much to the Macross Frontier experience, but it's a darn good anime.

Quote:
That's completely true; and it's rather a shame that most anime suggest otherwise. I consider it a credit to the Macross franchise that sex between consenting adults is shown in a positive and healthy light.
Old 2008-05-18, 23:53   Link #38
Tak

Quote:
That's completely true; and it's rather a shame that most anime suggest otherwise. I consider it a credit to the Macross franchise that sex between consenting adults is shown in a positive and healthy light.

Now we have Mr. Mishima and Kathy... I am sorry, but I think I nearly vomited on that one. In fact, I don't even know how this pairing could be possible. I mean, Kathy isn't an idiot, she knows what Leon is up to, and I have an impression that she has a good idea of just how terribly sinister Leon could be. Alas, we will let time reveal further details.

- Tak
Old 2008-05-18, 23:55   Link #39
Westlo
Lets be reality

The movie version of Plus makes it more obvious since they also thrown in a Isamu and Lucy scene at the same time IIRC.
Old 2008-05-18, 23:58   Link #40
Wesley84

Quote:
It's more than just that. In just about all Macross works, there's a certain amount of sexual activity, and it's almost never portrayed in a negative light. It's treated much more like a normal outgrowth of a relationship.
Not to mention people actually having kids like they're not some kind of...disease or plague.

Quote:
There's three main reasons why Leon gets a bad rap: he's sinister, he's got a hidden agenda, and he seems to push Kathy around. I think that people complain about his relationship to Kathy because it's more convenient to do so than attacking his other points.

Leon is often seen as the "final villain" because that's the kind of role one would expect his character archetype to play in most anime. I don't think that this'll be the case at all.
He's also comparatively uncool to just about everyone in the series. You'd have to strain a bit to think of any good points, while not taking them for granted.

Quote:
Yup, now go and watch Macross Plus. It won't add all that much to the Macross Frontier experience, but it's a darn good anime.
Yes, sir.

Quote:
I'm sure the temptation was there to create a survivalist "free love" movement after the first series.