AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-23, 13:59   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Eden of the East - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of Eden of the East. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are human.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
Old 2009-04-23, 21:38   Link #2
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Okay, since I was looking forward to this show mainly to hear Hayami Saori, maybe I can get the ball rolling. So far, I think she started well and has been getting better every episode. The subtle turns in her voice that I admire in her singing are showing up in her voice acting, too. She delivers some great lines in ep3.

The basic sound of her voice is simply beautiful, and she coveys Saki's feelings well. That scene in the washroom in ep2 was great not just for the animation and script, but also for how she delivered it. For the most part, she is excellent in ep3, with the kind of flexibility and control in her voice, in my opinion, that belongs to a seasoned professional seiyuu. But she hardly ever seems to deliver a line simply "professionally," almost always giving it some zip.

As we have been discussing in a blog post about her, there is something of Noto Mamiko about her voice. Not with as much of Noto Kawaii's lovely breathiness, but with her own version of it. And they both make a basically thin or transparent voice very effective.

In Hayamin's case, I think her voice will mature and become stronger, enabling her to do a wider range of characters than she has so far. After all, she is only 17 (turns 18 at the end of May). Here is a blog post I did about her earlier, talking about her roles and her personal history.

I usually give seiyuu more credit for a show's success than other people do, and this is no exception. There are a lot of good things about this show, but one of them is the voice acting. Kimura Ryouhei as Akira is creating an interesting character, too. As are Shirokuma Hiroshi as the detective and Tamagawa Sakiko as Juiz. And I guess we are about to hear more from the people voicing Saki's friends.

The photo was posted yesterday on 2channel, and is from a piece about an upcoming drama CD (Wagamama Sentai Bloom Heart -- Willful Squadron Bloom Heart) starring Kano Yui (Sumomomomomo), Makino Yui (Misaki in NHK), Itou Kanae (Amu in Shugo Chara), Satou Satomi (Ritsu in K-On) and Hayamin. Possibly an anime to follow?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-05-01, 17:20   Link #3
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

I dunno much about Japanese voice actors but I really think Saki's voice suits her, plus it's cute. I also like Akira's VA as well.

:]
Old 2009-05-02, 15:03   Link #4
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've updated my characters/seiyuus page for this show with info about the seiyuus for Saki's sister and brother-in-law.

Another voice I love in this show is Juiz's. I've loved it from the beginning, but the amazing little lilting lift she gives it when she's talking with Akira in episode four is just wonderful. Does it mean she's human? Does it mean she's an exceedingly human machine? Does it mean she is delighted at Akira's new progress? Examples at 2:52 (hai!) and 3:30 (hai! sono toori desu).

She's played by Tamagawa Sakiko, a 47-year-old veteran who has had over 100 anime roles since starting her entertainment career as a child actress. She was outstanding as Onashia in Simoun and as Fujitsubo in the recent Genji. She has also been Mariko in Oniisama-e, Ryoko in Area 88, Tsujimoto in You're Under Arrest, Tachikoma in GITS:SAC, and Ayano in Fafner.

YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-05-02 at 16:06.
Old 2009-05-05, 16:58   Link #5
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've made a blog post about some very positive remarks made by a game producer about Hayami Saori's acting skill. This is to do with her new role in a dating sim game that will come out this summer.

I also found a video on Nico of her appearance with Yukana and Takahashi Mikako in a Wagaya no Oinari-sama event.
Old 2009-06-07, 05:02   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Been catching up tonight and the series continues to grow more interesting. However one minor problem.....I cannot stand Kuroha's voice actress. It's as if she's being played by a transvestite male trying to sound like a woman and it just doesn't work for me. The rest of the cast features such good voice talent that I have to wonder what went wrong with this particular role.

Oh well I guess almost all good and one weakness is better than nothing.
Old 2009-06-07, 05:22   Link #7
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Itazu Yutaka, the Fat Boy hikkikomori hacker that got offed in episode 9, is voiced by none other than Hiyama Nobuyuki, who is more known to voice hot-blooded roles. Bleach fans will know him as Ikkaku.

It is said Itazu's chubby appearance actually resembles Hiyama's appearance a lot. From the Japanese wikipedia entry, it is said that Hiyama often amusingly muses about how many fangirl dreams were dashed upon seeing what he looks like. So I guess I'll not post his photo here.

Speaking of Bleach, Yuuki, the timid Akira-lookalike Selecao, is voiced by Morikawa Masakazu, AKA Ichigo. It's not often I hear him voice anything besides Ichigo these days. The last non-Ichigo role he's in that I'm familiar with was in Gundam Seed Destiny. Recently I only know he's involved in Sengoku Basara, but that's all.
Old 2009-06-07, 22:03   Link #8
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I think Hiyama Nobuyuki is an excellent voice actor. But he is certainly no bishounen. You can see his pic here. I first heard him as Ri Kouyuu in Saiunkoku.

As often happens, unfortunately I find my taste differing with that of Kaioshin Sama. I think 46-year-old Igarashi Rei is outstanding as Diana. I love the combination of sensuality, simplicity, and haughtiness in her voice here. You can see her picture and some of her roles on my characters and seiyuus page for this show.

I have updated the page with the characters that have appeared over the past two episodes (8-9). Hiyama's pic is there, now.
Old 2009-06-14, 00:58   Link #9
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
lol Hayami Saori looks a bit like Saki..;/
Old 2009-06-18, 09:31   Link #10
Kurai~

The Japanese voice acting is fine, but what really struck me about this series when I watched the first series is the fact they used native speakers of English to voice natives of D.C. Finally somebody does it right. I mean, I loved Black Lagoon, but when they had characters speaking in English it made me grind my teeth.
Old 2009-06-18, 09:33   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Itazu Yutaka, the Fat Boy hikkikomori hacker that got offed in episode 9, is voiced by none other than Hiyama Nobuyuki, who is more known to voice hot-blooded roles. Bleach fans will know him as Ikkaku.
Damn! I thought I recognized his voice! Ha!
Closed Thread