AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-10-31, 00:00   Link #81
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseStar
Yes, they disbanded while doing inu yasha(I watched their inu yasha eps), but they ended before episode 100. So they have been disbanded for atleast 2 years. I don't remebr the exact day it was dibanded. But ti is the oldest group by many refrences.
If they were doing Inuyasha (and yes, I have watched some of Uptown's Inuyasha in the 60-70s range), they can't be the oldest digisub group.
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-31, 01:26   Link #82
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoBaka
If they were doing Inuyasha (and yes, I have watched some of Uptown's Inuyasha in the 60-70s range), they can't be the oldest digisub group.
I'm sorry, but logically the proposition does not preclude that particular result. They could be doing subs of Naruto and still be the oldest, if they've been around long enough.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-10, 04:40   Link #83
genmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight

I don't know if I would really call it group politics. It was definitely a personal problem of Devilrays that the rest of the group didn't share in.
devilray was hilarious. He, along with most of my old staff, was one of the few people involved in translating Japanese children's comics/shows that didn't take things way way too seriously.

edit: also, loae666 is a little pussy.
genmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 15:50   Link #84
dafrol

Send a message via AIM to dafrol
i recall downloading DBGT from Super5 as the first thing i ever downloaded. and yes, they were digital because i remember them waiting on the laserdiscs to finish off the bebi and super 17(pretty sure it was android 17) sagas. i want to say this was between fall of 99 and winter 2000. i would have to check the dates of those cd's i burned to be sure.
dafrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 16:48   Link #85
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafrol
and yes, they were digital because i remember them waiting on the laserdiscs to finish off the bebi and super 17(pretty sure it was android 17) sagas.
Just curious, but how does that make it digital?
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 18:33   Link #86
dafrol

well, from what i was reading(yes i skimmed) wouldnt the sub be entirely digital if the source was digital, the subbing was done on a pc and the end result was a .avi?
Old 2004-11-17, 18:40   Link #87
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yes, it would. Unless the avi was re-encoded from a VHS source. It needs to be created as a video file rather than genlocked with the source and copied to a VHS tape.

You were unclear about the result being an avi. Actually, that's quite unusual for an early digisub. Most of the earlies digisubs were in rm format.

Are you sure that you downloaded an avi?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 19:29   Link #88
dafrol

yes that i am sure of. remember waiting in the chan for the last ep they released which ened the super 17 saga. yea i just checked them and they are avi's, but apparrently my dates were off the earliest i have is from 10-00
Old 2004-11-17, 20:00   Link #89
_yeah
poseur

Uh....

The first digisubs were .avi files. The stuff that was floating around as .rm files are most likely VHS rips.

Digisubbing as we know it basically began with Avery Lee's subtitler filter for VirtualDub, which would yield an avi file of SOME sort.
_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 20:30   Link #90
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
well, from what i was reading(yes i skimmed) wouldnt the sub be entirely digital if the source was digital, the subbing was done on a pc and the end result was a .avi?
Laserdisc stored its video in analog format and thus is not a true digital source (although the audio may have been stored digitally). Tapesubbers used to use a lot of laserdiscs.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 20:42   Link #91
Access

Or making hard-sub DVD-Rs from ripped DVDs -- technogirls did this for instance, as did a few other of the VHS subbers.

Digital or not, prior to "ms-mpeg4 v2", or "ms-mpeg4 v3" an identical codec to 'DivX :) 3.1a'), the main formats were .rm and .mpg (MPEG-1). A popular source of .rm's was lunaarts.com, but primarily, these were video captures or digisubs re-encoded from other formats.

As far as digital, I don't remember any groups intentionally making .rm's. Only .avi's and .mpg's. Sometimes distributors would re-encode those .avi's or .mpg's to .rm to cut filesize, though.

And pre-nandub, many groups (#animempeg for instance) were still releasing a lot of .mpg because it was easier to get good and constistent quality for an encode. DivX had a high-motion codec, VBR quantization 5 or less (you could set the bitrate cap) or a low-motion codec which ended up being pretty close to CBR. Once nandub became usable, I don't remember any group releasing in .mpg anymore.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-18, 14:10   Link #92
sangofe

Quote:
i recall downloading DBGT from Super5 as the first thing i ever downloaded. and yes, they were digital because i remember them waiting on the laserdiscs to finish off the bebi and super 17(pretty sure it was android 17) sagas. i want to say this was between fall of 99 and winter 2000. i would have to check the dates of those cd's i burned to be sure.

VCD, not laserdic.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-19, 08:42   Link #93
HanG-BuiK-ZwijN
Saizen's laziest Member

found something on super5.com

http://web.archive.org/web/199910130...com/index.html

it a post from 99

and from the beginning of 2000 : http://web.archive.org/web/200005200...ww.super5.com/

i suppose they were older when they begun subbing gt from vcd

Spoiler:
Old 2004-11-19, 13:34   Link #94
hooliganj
Team Player

If we've settled on '99-'00 as the beginning of real digisubbing, my digisubs of Hunter X Hunter are the oldest surviving files in my collection. HxH debuted in October of '99, and the subs are from aku-fansubs.

Generally, though, I remember digisub trading being pretty active before that. For instance, I know I saw Tenshi ni Narumon (April '99), The Adventures of the Mini-Godesses (April '98), and Record of Lodoss War TV (April '98) through a purely digital release.
Old 2004-11-19, 18:10   Link #95
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
If we've settled on '99-'00 as the beginning of real digisubbing, my digisubs of Hunter X Hunter are the oldest surviving files in my collection. HxH debuted in October of '99, and the subs are from aku-fansubs.
I can tell you now that those are not Aku-fansub. A-K = Anime-Kissaten was another one of the first groups to appear. Aku appeared around 2001.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-19, 21:22   Link #96
Enron
Banned

Quote:

Generally, though, I remember digisub trading being pretty active before that. For instance, I know I saw Tenshi ni Narumon (April '99), The Adventures of the Mini-Godesses (April '98), and Record of Lodoss War TV (April '98) through a purely digital release.
I had those Tenshi ni Narumon .rms as well, back in '99. They were VHS rips. I still have them on a disc full of .rm crap i burned years ago...datte datte, datte datte.
Enron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-19, 21:23   Link #97
iluid

Quote:

I think you are making the mistake of thinking that these shows were subbed as they aired the way most shows are subbed now. However the debut date of the show doesn't really tell you anything about when the subs were done. As bayoab said, A-Kissaten was subbing HxH before aku, but, if I remember correctly, even A-K didn't pick it up until late 2000 or early 2001.

Also, in the early days of digisubs, a lot of files were being encoded and distributed on the net as .rm, .asf, avi or mpeg, but they were captures from VHS subs and therefore not digisubs. Some groups would make a VHS sub, cap the VHS, and release it in a digital format at the same time they made the tape available or even before the tape was available. Basically if a genlock or VCR was used in the subbing process (other than to cap a raw from VHS) it's not a digisub by the definition that seems to be being used in this thread.
iluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-19, 22:25   Link #98
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluid
were done. As bayoab said, A-Kissaten was subbing HxH before aku, but, if I remember correctly, even A-K didn't pick it up until late 2000 or early 2001.
Right, A-K was after elite-fansubs, animefactory, etc.

I have an archived document that shows e-f celebrated their 1-year anniversary on around Oct. 2001.

Sep. 2000 was probably near the 'beginning of things' as far as digi-subbing went.
Or, if there was stuff going on before then, it wasn't visible groups with irc channels and what-not.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-20, 01:39   Link #99
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enron
I had those Tenshi ni Narumon .rms as well, back in '99. They were VHS rips. I still have them on a disc full of .rm crap i burned years ago...datte datte, datte datte.
No, no, I remember watching several VHS rips, too. The shows I mentioned were all done as med-quality AVIs. The Tenshi ni Narumon was really high quality, too. I knew enough about the process at the time to be able to tell the difference. When I think about it, I probably watched Mini-AMG and HxH later, but Tenimon and Lodoss were both pretty close to their Japanese air dates. I have a friend who is a huge Lodoss fan, and he would stalk me until I had the next episode every couple of weeks. Ah, memories.
Old 2004-11-22, 17:39   Link #100
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

I only know of traditional fansub groups that did Tenshin ni Narumon before it was licensed, off the top of my head.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote