AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-06, 07:19   Link #61
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurys View Post
Plenty of different personal reasons I guess, but I think it's not just that she's hated, it's that she's not especially interesting compared to other characters (btw, in my case, she reminds me of Orihime, the shy love interest with low self-confidence issues and clingy dependancy on the male character, take that as you wish OD ).

Voted for Sheryl of course, as well as a few other likable characters.
Oh and I voted for the antagonistic trinity too (Brera, Leon, Grace). I wondered if I would be the only one to vote for Leon
You know what's funny ....

I think Sheryl has low self-confidence issues and clingy dependancy on the male character,

Why doesn't anyone see it?! It's baffling me...Ranka is the one with the courage and backbone. Sheryl is clingy, insecure as hell and all is fair in love in war....but I don't like how she lets her insecurities turn to malice when dealing with Ranka

I think she's very interesting...cute as button too!
Old 2008-07-06, 07:30   Link #62
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
What's funny is that you see things no one else is seeing.

Quote:
I think Sheryl has low self-confidence issues
Which explains why she's a self made star who writes her own lyrics? That's why she dragged Michael along to save Alto in 13 while Michael dragged Ranka along in 12. Because she's the one with self confidence issues.

Quote:
and clingy dependancy on the male character,
Sheryl hasn't depended on Alto anywhere near the level Ranka has, there's a reason why most people see Sheryl and Alto relationship as one between equals and think Ranka uses Alto as a crutch.

Quote:
Why doesn't anyone see it?!
The real question is, why do you see it like this.

Quote:
It's baffling me...Ranka is the one with the courage and backbone. Sheryl is clingy, insecure as hell and all is fair in love in war....but I don't like how she lets her insecurities turn to malice when dealing with Ranka
You referring to the kiss in episode 10 again? Once again.

Spoiler for facepalm:

Quote:
I think she's very interesting...cute as button too!
That's good, she's a dime a dozen even though she should end being one of the better examples of her archetype unless they screw her up.

Also I must say your heart really isn't in this pairing since the quality of your posts here is severely lacking compared to your Bleach ones.
Old 2008-07-06, 07:31   Link #63
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Why doesn't anyone see it?!
Because there's nothing in the series to support it...
Old 2008-07-06, 07:37   Link #64
hai_san

woo Klein takes over second place, even with very little screentime but being 1/2 femme fatale 1/2 loli and Meltran makes her far superior to rest?
Old 2008-07-06, 08:29   Link #65
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Because there's nothing in the series to support it...
Tis plenty

@Westlo...must you be so bitter? It's my opinion...I am not angry at you for your choices...

Maybe you don't want to see it? because... she's very insecure and needy.

Is this the thread for it? Just wondering....

Don't bite me and I won't bite you...
Old 2008-07-06, 08:31   Link #66
Westlo
Lets be reality

If this isn't the thread for it than reply to my post in the appropriate thread and don't use this thread as a place to cry about how only you can see the true malicious Sheryl

Going to watch tennis now, go NADAL!!!
Old 2008-07-06, 09:04   Link #67
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

You referring to the kiss in episode 10 again? Once again.

Spoiler for facepalm:
I love this so much

@BleachOD: I'm amazed at how your opinion goes against everyone else's and you're still so confident about it >.< Don't you think there's a problem with your own POV since it's different from the rest?
Old 2008-07-06, 09:07   Link #68
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:

I think Sheryl has low self-confidence issues and clingy dependancy on the male character,
Sheryl does not have low confidence, and certainly not dependent upon the male character. For a person who had survived on willpower alone, to say that she has low confidence is a bit of a stretch. She acquired her fame and attained her title as the Galactic Fairy all by herself. This takes much confidence to accomplish.

However, she does suffer from a degree of loneliness, and that nobody understood her. She of course, has no friends. Yet, how she yearns to be understood is vastly different than low confidence. As for clingy dependency upon the male character, I am afraid thats Ranka. Until episode 12, she had been the one who consistently threw herself at Alto for whatever reason. Be that singing, acting or family complications. Even Mikhail pointed this out to Ranka, which she did not deny.

Sheryl on the other hand, until episode 12, simply wanted to have fun. Even though in midst of this, she is becoming more and more of a reluctant participant in securing Alto's affection. She just doesn't know it, and Alto is completely oblivious to it.

Quote:

Why doesn't anyone see it?! It's baffling me...Ranka is the one with the courage and backbone.
Ranka finally showed courage and backbone (a la supermove) in Episode 12. Prior to that, she needed a catalyst for nearly everything. Moreover, Sheryl had been one of her biggest supporters. Even up to the point of offering Ranka a televised interview. Not the other way around.

Quote:
Sheryl is clingy, insecure as hell and all is fair in love in war....but I don't like how she lets her insecurities turn to malice when dealing with Ranka
How has she let her insecurities turn into malice when dealing with Ranka? If you are referring to Sheryl's fall from grace in 12, then I am afraid you are probably mistaken. If Sheryl had turned her insecurities into malice, then she could have just left with Mikhail and not look for Ranka and Alto. When Alto asked Sheryl and Mikhail to help rescue Ranka, Sheryl was the one who gave Alto an affirmation that she will do her best and that Alto does the same.

She was angry with herself in 12, not Ranka, at how she was unable to accomplish what she always had accomplished. You need to remember that she had been Ranka's biggest supporter, who never saw her as a threat, even up to the point when her fame spread across the Frontier.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-06, 12:13   Link #69
4Tran

I'm breaking my poll moratorium primarily because Ranka needs more love. Sheryl may be my favorite character of the last few years, but I like the three leads a lot as well. Alto is my second favorite character in the show - for once, we have a mecha show lead that I like on just about all levels. Ranka's character has come a long way since the beginning, and I find that this growth has made her a much more interesting character as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Is anybody, anywhere, surprised that Sheryl is beating out #2 by more than double?
It's not quite so one-sided, but it's not much of a surprise to see Sheryl being extremely well-liked in a Sheryl popularity poll Macross Frontier popularity poll.
Old 2008-07-06, 14:56   Link #70
zalem

Quote:
Tis plenty
Can you point to specific scenes? Cause I don't see it. Though perhaps this should go in the Sheryl discussion thread...
Old 2008-07-06, 15:02   Link #71
BleachOD
Banned

Please call me OD. For those that don't know me...Yoroshiku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
>.< Don't you think there's a problem with your own POV since it's different from the rest?
Hmm.....

No...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
I love this so much

@BleachOD: I'm amazed at how your opinion goes against everyone else's and you're still so confident about it
So you saying I am wrong because I don't agree? Did I say I was confident? I just said Sheryl is the needy, insecure one and Ranka is actually the strong one.

I am confident in my opinion of characters but not enough to say....It's a sure thing...

I am deciding if I care enough to say why. Normally I don't care about anything that doesn't have the word "Bleach" in it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
If this isn't the thread for it than reply to my post in the appropriate thread and don't use this thread as a place to cry about how only you can see the true malicious Sheryl

Going to watch tennis now, go NADAL!!!
Dude don't get your panties in a twist. I asked because not everyone likes ship wars.

Don't project...I don't cry in posts in fact do the opposite ...Which why some people think I am talking about IchiRuki...

I am not. I can't say who wins...in this case

Now until I post my reasons...don't assume because all you do when you do that is make an "Ass out ME<--you"

You already did that once...

*So this is how the demons feel eh,? * *Mr. Belvedere Imitation* Westley...Take a chill pill will ya...

Last edited by BleachOD; 2008-07-06 at 15:08. Reason: That's how it should read
Old 2008-07-06, 15:10   Link #72
magnuskn

Ah, damned, we could vote for more than one? Well, my vote went ( of course ) for Sheryl, so at least it was well spent. Too bad, I´d have liked to vote for Klan, Alto, and Mikhail, too.

OD, how about you post your reasons for your negative opinions of Sheryl? If we arrived at a "majority opinion", it is through careful discussion ( and some gushing ) about Sheryls character, with people like ani_d for example.

I´d like to see how you arrived at those ( to me absolutely incomprehensible ) conclusions.
Old 2008-07-06, 15:17   Link #73
zalem

Quote:
I just said Sheryl is the needy, insecure one and Ranka is actually the strong one.

I am confident in my opinion of characters but not enough to say....It's a sure thing...

I am deciding if I care enough to say why. Normally I don't care about anything that doesn't have the word "Bleach" in it...
No one is going to take you seriously until you do show your proof. Though again, might be better in the Sheryl thread...
Old 2008-07-06, 15:23   Link #74
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Though again, might be better in the Sheryl thread...
Precisely. If anyone wants to discuss Sheryl to any great degree, that would be the better place to do so.
Old 2008-07-06, 15:29   Link #75
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:
No one is going to take you seriously until you do show your proof..
*Deja Vu* I am usually the one screaming that*New experience for me* Someone asking me to show proof

I can say...You don't know me or you'd know that...I go all out.

In this case I am still not sure if I care enough about it to type it.

Because if you are familiar with my posts...You would know they come with links and then I dissect each scene. Do I care enough to do that

This is the first couple I ever shipped enough to comment on that wasn't an IchiRuki thread...
Quote:
Though again, might be better in the Sheryl thread...
That's what I am thinking or the "Romance in Macross thread"

Ok...maybe I will read someone's rant and that will get me wanting to do that...

*Everywhere I go it seems to be me against the thread*

Edit (Why waste space)
Quote:
@ *Thunder*<--lol

Thanks for the support!!

Although seeing Ichiruki people against me is throwing me into shock. I keep thinking I am having a dream where I am suddenly a [I]demon It's actually quite refreshing seeing them tear into me outside a thread where we aren't on the same page *I know why...I don't read the manga.*

the thing is there is no "Ichi or Go" in it. It's only because of fillers, recycled subjects and arcs that are for learning, it's nothing to post about that I even saw the word"MACROSS". It's my anime I must watch first *After Bleach of course. * See I let Bleach play...then talk about it all day at the same time. I mean if anyone here who reads Bleach noticed....I only post in one place. Most people assume I don't know any thing else.
Right now I rather be telling Sensei that the ranks of Captains were clearly defined. However it seem Rank and Power Level and Captain level means three different things instead two..

Sorry...I really didn't mean to go off on a tangent. It's just not that I can't explain...I don't really care to. I changed my avatar an profile pic to motivate me...but it hasn't yet.<---Not gonna last long. Ichigo will win
I'm hoping....eventually my ego will kick in I will post because people thinking I can't answer...when "Oh YES I CAN!" will get me and I will post seriously. My ego made me say this much...so it's a star---Wait! I just thought of something ...If something good happens in Bleach...You people will never see me again. So why start a debate I am really not going to finish? I seriously I love Ranka and Alto is fine. But none of them are Ichigo. My fandom won't let care about anyone else. (When I say I love Ichigo...I mean I really love Ichigo)at least not enough to devote the time I spend on the posts like I spend on posts in the Bleach forum. I just can't see me doing it.

Last edited by BleachOD; 2008-07-06 at 17:07.
Old 2008-07-06, 16:19   Link #76
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I support you OD ...
Old 2008-07-06, 16:53   Link #77
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
I support you OD ...
You'd probably be the only one.
Old 2008-07-06, 16:54   Link #78
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
I support you OD ...
*sigh*

Sheryl thread here we come.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-07-06, 17:09   Link #79
Westlo
Lets be reality

Considering the way you interpreted the episode 10 kiss I can't wait to see you "dissect" some more scenes.
Old 2008-07-06, 17:13   Link #80
magnuskn

All those super-emotes are annoying as hell, almost as much as a certain person putting a "lol" at every second sentence.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, favorite