AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-06-09, 18:53   Link #1
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Good use of recap episodes

I'm sure a lot of you have that feeling, but when I see an episode that is a recap, I'm just like "You cheap bastards and your stock footage padding".

But there's no point ranting about that. Tell me about recaps that actually allowed you to review the show's storyline up to that point into meaningful thought.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:50   Link #2
Traece
:cool:

I've seen it done before where they fit the recap in under a different perspective. "Here are the events as we see them." It works even more so when the recap is used to explain a greater piece of the story, or to clarify how things really happened. What was going on behind the scenes.

These tactics are actually not too uncommon in Western television. The issue with recaps is that they have to be interesting.

Making it part of the story makes it necessary content. I also like the Crest/Banner of the stars approach to recap where they frequently revisit events from the previous portions of the story as the characters reflect upon their experiences. This ability comes in part from the writing of the novels. Lafiel and Jinto often reflect upon their past experiences and in the anime this is shown by revisiting that footage with an overlay of dialogue about the events and how those events shaped their lives or how they think about them now in retrospect.
Old 2013-06-09, 20:24   Link #3
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I thought it was done quite well in Death Note, because it also showed the events more from L's perspective. But more important: After the recap they added a bit of new scenes and those who saw it will understand when I say that it was epic, the moment the "Death Note Theme.mp3" kicked in.
Old 2013-06-09, 20:55   Link #4
backbone
Banned

Recap episode can be very good if it's done well, and i think one of the best cases is Gundam Wing
Spoiler for Gundam Wing:
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 10:32   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Not anime but I recently saw Kamen Rider Ryuki (which I highly recommend to Madoka Magica and Fate/Stay Night fans) and it had a pretty smart recap episode.

Spoiler:

They managed to make the recap episode fit into the storyline.
Old 2013-06-10, 10:59   Link #6
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Recap in 12 kingdoms basically give insight about the lore of that universe through character conversation, so it contains some new information too, which is decent. But they often reshow some part all over again which is a bit annoyed
Old 2013-06-10, 11:44   Link #7
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
A certain episode in Sakurasou functions like this while also adding backstory to justify it.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 12:05   Link #8
4Tran

The answer to this is going to forever be Utena. The first recap does everything that you ask for - insight from a new character to put the previous episodes into thematic perspective. The third episodes is equal parts creative and shocking - I think that it's not only the best recap episode ever made, but also one of the best anime episodes of all time.
Old 2013-06-10, 12:31   Link #9
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
NANA had pretty fun recaps, with the characters reviewing the story in a bar, while adding some snarky remarks and complaints, sometimes even reflecting upon their own acts.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 16:10   Link #10
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The third episodes is equal parts creative and shocking - I think that it's not only the best recap episode ever made, but also one of the best anime episodes of all time.
Out of all the recaps this is the only I still remember, just because of the reveal at the end.
Old 2013-06-20, 19:15   Link #11
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
But there's no point ranting about that. Tell me about recaps that actually allowed you to review the show's storyline up to that point into meaningful thought.
Girls und Panzer made their recaps meaningful, condensing out the stories into a 20-minute slot and even going into depth to explain how the mechanics behind their universe works.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:02   Link #12
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Girls und Panzer also used them to better introduce the characters since they hadn't time in the show proper. Plus they used them to cover some production problems.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:39   Link #13
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Girls und Panzer also used them to better introduce the characters since they hadn't time in the show proper. Plus they used them to cover some production problems.
They turned out to be a rather clever means of helping cover for the issues they ran into, and on top of that, the recaps turned out to be worth watching: sure, they were meant to cover for something, but the fact that these recaps are worth watching counts for something.
Old 2013-06-21, 00:07   Link #14
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... I'd have to give a vote to Kemono no Souja Erin for this question. For me the re-caps worked, and extra info was given at the same time to shed further light on the re-cap, and then new material relevant to the story was introduced.
Old 2013-06-21, 02:35   Link #15
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

recaps eps are only good in 50 eps anime, if used on anything lower its just a cheap gimmick to save money
Old 2013-06-21, 16:00   Link #16
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Girls und Panzer recently has been one of the animes where I actually paid attention to the recap episode.
Old 2013-06-21, 17:41   Link #17
qjackson

The Basilisk one does an ok job. Its good because it keeps you up to speed with all the deaths the bad is it just seems like they're throwing a lots of exhibition towards the viewer.
qjackson is offline   Reply With Quote