AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-12-08, 14:30   Link #1
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

To all PC Gamers/Peripheral experts

So when I was out my wife was using my deathadder Razer, You can probably guess what happened...she split coffee over it, it got onto the circuit.Now I have a broken Deathadder .
So now I need a new mouse, my price range can be up to 100 pounds, but I would really like a mouse around the 50 pound range. I don't the make, razer, stealseries, ttesports or roccat etc. Just want it to be a good quality and well reviewed mouse, which is meant for gamers(Bare in mind that I play MoBa games and FPS games, not mmo's). Thanks

Last edited by Ak3mi; 2011-12-08 at 14:48.
Ak3mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 14:59   Link #2
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

After using my Razer Diamondback for several years I switched to the legendary Logitech MX518 this summer. It took some getting used to, but it's now the best mouse I ever used, so I really recommend it, and considering the praise it's still getting even when it's as old as it is says something. It's also cheap.

Changing your sens on the fly is also genius, I make use of it all the time. I'd also argue it's quite a lot more ergonomical than the Razer ones.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 17:02   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Good old faithful mouse commonly known by gamers because it is one of the best there is;

Logitec MX518
or the upgraded version Logitec G400 (I use this one)
Good reviews, MX518 is an older model but even now it is still being used a lot by gamers.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 01:52   Link #4
Desu
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I have owned quite a few logitech and razor mice but still find myself using my Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0

Even though I do consider myself a fairly serious FPS gamer I really struggle to find that much difference between all of these high end mice. I would suggest looking for comfort and reliability instead of the over-hyped things like DPI/refresh rates and gold plated usb connections.
Old 2011-12-09, 05:31   Link #5
sa547
*Author

Try disassembling the whole mouse, wash it down using a non-detergent dishwashing cleaner, then rinse and leave dry until there's no moisture left. You then put it back together and plug it in.

I'm okay with my standard A4Tech optical mouse, no frills whatsoever and very easy to hold (the other time I tried the X7 type gaming mouse from the same company, but it takes more to get used to it).

Edit: the X7 mouse is too damn big for my typist's hands.

Last edited by sa547; 2011-12-09 at 20:06.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 06:43   Link #6
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Try disassembling the whole mouse, wash it down using a non-detergent dishwashing cleaner, then rinse and leave dry until there's no moisture left. You then put it back together and plug it in.
Already tried to do that but the coffee really messed it up .
Thanks for all the recommendations, I am taking them in. Does anyone have the Steelseries Xai laser? cause it seems to be a nice mouse imo
Old 2011-12-09, 07:59   Link #7
Jaden

Well, the known brands that make mice for gamers all know their stuff, so when it comes to mice I would actually recommend something from a well known brand like razer, SS, etc. Even microsoft and logitech have some good models meant for games.

I used a standard sales bin mouse before, also a Razer Orochi with my laptop. Currently using Steelseries Ikari laser, pretty different from the Xai, I think the Ikari is older? Anyways, it's okay. A best mouse is one you don't notice, that means it's doing its job.

Though I'm no headshot enthusiast, I find that the specs (sampling rate, dpi etc) are not that important, they are sufficiently high in all these. Laser mice are generally more precise and expensive than optical ones, and they are also less dependent on the surface.

Most important to me are matters of preference like ergonomy, the material, the buttons and some extra features. It's hard to know what's good for you without getting a feel for it. Personally I like a big mouse that I can grab with my palm and all fingers. It's important there is no coating, pads or graphics that easily wear off. On good buttons you can feel the click and don't need to guess whether you clicked or not. For extra features, being driverless and the ability to change dpi on the fly are nice on the Steelseries mice.
Old 2011-12-10, 13:26   Link #8
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

is the g400 quite chunky and slow?
Old 2011-12-10, 14:58   Link #9
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
is the g400 quite chunky and slow?
The Logitech G series have always been my favorite mice. I currently use a G500, which is probably my least favorite as the additional buttons aren't as...ergonomical as the simpler G series mice like the 400 or G 5 (though there's nothing forcing you to use them all).

From a FPS perspective, I think as long as you can bind your left/right mouse scroll to hotkeys (ie: specific weapons or something), and have a DPI increase/decrease, you're golden, though a lot of FPS games these days have a lot more keybindings than the old classics, so I end up actually using all the buttons available anyways.

Everyonce in a while, over the years, I've tried other mice out, and never liked them all that much compared to the Logitech workhorses.

* Razer. Wasn't fond of the ergonomics of their mice. Many of their recent mice have far too many buttons. At some point, you lose reaction time when you have too many buttons, and I think most of their mice have far surpassed that line.
* Microsoft Sidewinder. I couldn't believe it when I opened this up and found out you couldn't left/right scroll, since those are the most accessible actions on a mouse for rebinding to hotkeys. I realize from a certain school of thought that removing left/right scroll makes using the 'middle' mouse button easier, but that's a lame argument, since you can just bind left or right scroll to become the middle mouse button if you find clicking down a scroll wheel to be troublesome when it also has left/right scroll available. The software that came with the Sidewinder was far inferior to the Logitech software. Logitech lets you rebind whatever you want, even the DPI increase/decrease buttons. The Sidewinder does not.

Never owned a Steel Series. Can't say anything about them. I just assumed they were gimmick mice though, what with their WoW branding.

My only complaint about my plethora of Logitech G series mice I've used over the years is that the braided cord is a bit stiff, and I've had several end up eventually crimping on their own due to how stiff it is, and once that occurred, the wires eventually broke out of the corded casing. But, I've owned a number of these mice, and that only happened after over a year of heavy gaming. Usually, when I replace a mouse, it's because the left/right scroll has become 'tricky'-unresponsive, and that usually takes a few years, with me using left/right scroll as my main 'hotkeys'.

My current G 500 has been fine for over a year, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. As I mentioned earlier, it was actually a step back in ergonomics. I've become used to it, but when it wears out, I'll likely replace it with the older, but far more ergonomical, G 5.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 06:46   Link #10
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

It isn't slow at all imo. It's basically the same as the MX518, set the dpi different, 2 side buttons. There are mouses with numbers on the side that allow you to swap weapons instantly and also mouses that with one button click 2 or 3 times, which people refer to as "the sniper button" which makes gaming overall lame as people tend to rely on technological "cheats" sort of speak to help them win the game. I don't know if you can place swap weapons on these 2 buttons, I never do but you can set buttons with the Logitec driver program which I did in the past with older models to optimize it for 3D modelling. Anyway, it fits well in the palm, it runs smooth over surfaces (it took me a while to get used to the smoothness). I never had cord problems, not ever heard of people having their own cord even broken while gaming, wth o.o;
The G500 is what a friend of mine uses, it also allows you to add weights and such. Something I always found over rated. This is the review I watched before buying the G400 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrQ3L09h9I
Old 2011-12-11, 07:25   Link #11
Desu
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Spoiler for This is what creb is referring to:

The cable itself hasn't caused any problems but the mouse wheel started to fail a while ago.
Old 2011-12-11, 07:46   Link #12
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

So your cord is like in some cloth surrounding, no wonder it broke. A G500 I presume, the G400 and MX didn't come with the cloth stuff but then again G500 is a whole different model than those 2.
Old 2011-12-15, 12:01   Link #13
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Ok will be getting the G500 thanks everyone very helpful
Old 2011-12-15, 15:35   Link #14
triskelion
*Fansubber

Just a heads up on the G500.

If you have really sensitive ears, the G500 emits a really high frequency buzz that can be annoying if you don't have headphones or blasting music.

If you don't have sensitive ears, ignore me.
triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 16:07   Link #15
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Ah I'm sure that over all the years of me listening to my music insanely loud and waves smashing into my head my ears arn't very sensitive :P
Old 2011-12-15, 16:47   Link #16
triskelion
*Fansubber

If that's the case, the G500 will be great.
triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote