AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-25, 13:44   Link #261
ookamigirl

Chinatsu & Orchestra... that is one unusual partnership.
Jonah home schooling sessions were LOL
It probably felt like torture to him as well as totally unnecessary, so he ditched LOL
Good thing Jonah has a need to be Koko's bodyguard 'cause she really is fearless.
Sometimes too fearless for her own good.
Those assassins were really persistent, but starting a private war in the middle of town is just not a good idea no matter how you look at it.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 14:20   Link #262
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
IMO the action is poorly executed in this episode. Kinda disappointed cause of it really.
This is the only thing I can take from this episode. Watching these people have a shoot out in the DEAD OPEN and only get hit once, it really took me out of the episode. Jonah running at orchestra while both of them are firing machine guns at each other and no ones even touched, 2 snipers being killed with head shots from god knows how many yards away with a MACHINE GUN. I was just face palming through most of the episode, I honestly didn't like it much.

I've always liked the crazy chick though. I have a soft spot for crazy chicks...
Old 2012-04-25, 14:40   Link #263
hoshino_crimsonwings

The whole adding in gun fights with dialogue makes it very tough if you expect it to be "realistic", way how I judge this series is the same as alien invasion movies, give the "realism" on the fire fights some slack and you might enjoy the story a little more.

This series gives me the same feeling Black Lagoon did, except it seems better.
Old 2012-04-25, 16:02   Link #264
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Lol didn't expect Jonah to be good in math, but those answers were great. Valmet was about to get some Koko love, but Orchestra interfered. What a cheap shield for the bullet to go through. Lol how does that guy not kill Jonah when he's that close? Good thing Lehm saved him. Chinatsu seems to have the same eyes as Jonah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
IMO the action is poorly executed in this episode. Kinda disappointed cause of it really.
I guess suspension of disbelief for a few minutes would work. IMO, I do learn more from Jonah's past aside from the manga on his combat tactics.

Least they did okay with the research on the cruisers of the Dubai Police Force.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 16:26   Link #265
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
This is the only thing I can take from this episode. Watching these people have a shoot out in the DEAD OPEN and only get hit once, it really took me out of the episode. Jonah running at orchestra while both of them are firing machine guns at each other and no ones even touched, 2 snipers being killed with head shots from god knows how many yards away with a MACHINE GUN. I was just face palming through most of the episode, I honestly didn't like it much.
Yeah, there were all sorts of eyebrow raising moments. I groaned when the police were gunned down so effortlessly by a couple of pistol shots even with their shields.
Old 2012-04-25, 16:32   Link #266
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Probably...

Though I want to defend that they're suppose to be assassins. Although Shishio should've went for another firing position. I guess the manga had the same thing.

PS - Akemi Kanda was good as Chinatsu. Although if I were to compare, Ai Shimizu would've been the better one after hearing the Drama CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post
Those assassins were really persistent, but starting a private war in the middle of town is just not a good idea no matter how you look at it.
Well Chinatsu IMO was suppose to keep things quiet. Shishio did see Valmet go for her sidearm.

PS - DAT Italian...

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2012-04-25, 16:41   Link #267
chaos_animagic

You're right... just watched episode 3...

An old wooden Table can block bullets while a Riot Shield just gets shot through... LOL

This show is only focusing on plot... anything else are into the "fantasy land"... where paper is stronger than steel...
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 16:43   Link #268
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Although that got me thinking. I wonder if the usual ballistic shield can be penetrated by Russian-made bullets, especially since IIRC they're much stronger than Western-made bullets in penetration.

Old 2012-04-25, 17:50   Link #269
Echoes

While I agree that the action in this episode had its moments of ridiculousness, I found it a very fun one overall, easily my favorite out of the three out so far. It's unrealistic at times, and when Jonah ran towards them and escaped unscathed, it sort of took me out of the moment and made me shrug in disbelief, but other than that it was a solid, fun romp.

Chinatsu and her partner were a ton of fun. Comparing this show to Black Lagoon is hardly original at this point, but this really is the sort of great adversaries you grew accustomed to seeing in that show. Insane, violent, but strangely likable and charismatic. This is the kind of stuff I want from Jormungand, and I hope it continues in this vein.
Old 2012-04-25, 18:42   Link #270
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The action in this show is like the characters - primarily for dramatic purposes, not realism. Everything in Jormungand is larger than life by design.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 20:21   Link #271
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
2 snipers being killed with head shots from god knows how many yards away with a MACHINE GUN.
There is nothing wrong with this one actually. You can headshot people 4 stories above you with an AK...it wasn't like what? even more than 100 m away?
Old 2012-04-25, 21:27   Link #272
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Black Lagoon had the same issue with the action. It never made sense.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 21:30   Link #273
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Indeed.

And it was plausible for Shishio to hit the Dubai SWAT snipers nearby after all...

Though I'm sure that Valmet got hit since she didn't cover herself fully with the ballistic shield.

Old 2012-04-25, 21:40   Link #274
Elestia

The problem is with the consistency of the action scenes. It swings dramatically when Shishio becomes a crack shot against the police then mysteriously suffers storm trooper syndrome when Jonah charges headfirst towards him.
Old 2012-04-25, 21:41   Link #275
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes – the action sequences are ridiculous. They’re supposed to be ridiculous, just as the characters are supposed to be bizarre, because realism isn’t what this series is about. Everyone and everything in it is larger than life, and Takahashi-sensei is using absurdity to shed light on the human condition in ways that can’t be accomplished through a “realistic” story (this will become clearer as we go). Don’t focus on the fact that Jonah is running across a piazza towards Shishio, each firing machine guns, and neither is hit. Focus on what that act tells us about Jonah and his situation.

If you want to know what the author is really saying at any given point in Jormungand, all you have to do is do two things - watch Jonah and listen to Lehm. That will pretty much cut through the bombast and insanity and reveal what's really going on.
Old 2012-04-25, 21:45   Link #276
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I'll agree with Guardian on this since Lehm's lecture to Jonah pretty much explains the stuff in the episode.

Although I enjoyed the way Lehm caught Jonah like a fish.

LIKE A BOSS!

Old 2012-04-25, 21:51   Link #277
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Lehm is a boss and then some. While everyone else is being all flash, he's the engine that drives the truck on pure GAR and cynical good humor. And they got the perfect seiyuu too.
Old 2012-04-25, 21:56   Link #278
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I'm just glad Unsho's still the voice for Lehm. Though I'm sad Ai Shimizu didn't continue as Chinatsu.

Old 2012-04-26, 00:08   Link #279
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Indeed.

And it was plausible for Shishio to hit the Dubai SWAT snipers nearby after all...

Though I'm sure that Valmet got hit since she didn't cover herself fully with the ballistic shield.
No, Valmet got hit because they use AP rounds, and the shots went throught the shield and the shield is hit many shots before it is penetrated.

Last edited by Panzerklein; 2012-04-26 at 00:32.
Panzerklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 00:27   Link #280
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

I almost forgot about the AP rounds on the AKS-47 and all. Thanks for that point.

Tags
action, gunfights, seinen