AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 33 27.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 9.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-11, 00:11   Link #21
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryns View Post
To me they have been portrayed as the faceless enemy for so long it is hard to get worked up. If they have an interesting story great. If not nothing has really changed.
I agree. At this point the Sheryl x Alto moments, and Klan scenes mean more to me than the rest of the plot(as I don't really think it's all that great to begin with).
Old 2008-09-11, 00:40   Link #22
Marina Ismail
<3 Sheryl Saotome
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by indr0008 View Post
people dun really care 'bout all the details on vajra, eh?
I just don't care about Ranka's backstory. So if I miss out on the vajra oh well it's a sacrifice I'll just have to take.
Old 2008-09-11, 00:52   Link #23
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
F*ck, twenty-two episodes and I still don't see what Sheryl and Ranka saw in Alto that made them fall in love to a person like him. His older brother is more stable than he is. More of this and i'll be wishing Michael get resurrected just to punch him in the face

that aside, can't wait till airtime.
Old 2008-09-11, 00:59   Link #24
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utau View Post
F*ck, twenty-two episodes and I still don't see what Sheryl and Ranka saw in Alto that made them fall in love to a person like him. His older brother is more stable than he is. More of this and i'll be wishing Michael get resurrected just to punch him in the face

that aside, can't wait till airtime.
hmmm! For Ranka was because he is a pretty boy! Far Sheryl, because he didn't treat her like an idol!
Old 2008-09-11, 01:01   Link #25
magnuskn

Again with the random Alto hate. I just donīt get it, I think he is a very good protagonist.
Old 2008-09-11, 01:18   Link #26
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
hmmm! For Ranka was because he is a pretty boy! Far Sheryl, because he didn't treat her like an idol!
I didn't mean his "physical" traits nor the fact that he treats Sheryl different. I meant, how he get swept away by the moment, it seems to me all his decisions till now has been because of a certain someones help. If his friends or comrades doesn't inform him, he wouldn't take notice. Gah.. forget that. I only watched ep.22 a while ago so i'm feeling indecisive towards him. Besides, seems to me i bumped the wrong thread to begin with

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Again with the random Alto hate. I just donīt get it, I think he is a very good protagonist.
random? maybe i posted in the wrong thread but that certainly isn't random.
Old 2008-09-11, 01:23   Link #27
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:

It's jealousy i tell ya, i think i'm not wrong in saying that he is nothing special in terms of traits possessed, but somehow, sheryl likes him, that's why ppl dislikes him

anyway...we are totally in the wrong thread here............
Old 2008-09-11, 01:30   Link #28
Divinegundam

I'm in agree more sheryl and Alto. However i get a bad feeling that Alto and Sheryl won't be what we think or how we want it to be. Also would be nice to see if he got the Virus since they did some belly clapping in the last episode

" Yes; I watched Naruto 15 years ago, it was called Dragon Ball Z"

MY AMV of Tieria/Virtue/Nadleeh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTKrCKoohjU
Old 2008-09-11, 01:31   Link #29
ipernorris

It's some days I'm asking why the anime has some sort of romance in almost 95% of these products and today, reading this thread, I came to an answer.
Most people want love and friendship and they don't care about other things... but at this point what about watching some soap opera like "The Bold and the Beautiful"?!?
Old 2008-09-11, 02:12   Link #30
Marina Ismail
<3 Sheryl Saotome
*Artist

I don't watch The Bold and the Beautiful/Days of Our Lives/The Young and the Tired simply because the stories sucks, everyone just sleeps with everyone. Didn't you hear? Victor Newman cheated on Nikki with his pet dog and Nikki slept with Brian Peppers to get back at him.
Old 2008-09-11, 02:14   Link #31
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
It's some days I'm asking why the anime has some sort of romance in almost 95% of these products and today, reading this thread, I came to an answer.
Most people want love and friendship and they don't care about other things... but at this point what about watching some soap opera like "The Bold and the Beautiful"?!?
Eeeewwww... soap operas. They donīt have Valkyries and they are cliched.

Quote:
I just donīt get why some people dislike Alto so much. Yeah, he was a very aggressive protagonist at the start and he behaved kinda dense towards the girls intentions during a lot of the anime, but he has stepped up mayorly in the last episodes. Not to forget that him being who he is, made Sheryl interested in the first place. The challenging ones are always the interesting ones.

Note, however, that this positive assessment may change if he treats Sheryl badly today
Old 2008-09-11, 02:15   Link #32
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Note, however, that this positive assessment may change if he treats Sheryl badly today
Those who hurts our Queen shall see hell on earth, eh?

Btw, how many more hours??
Old 2008-09-11, 02:23   Link #33
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
This episode better make up for the cliff-hanger in the previous episode.
Old 2008-09-11, 02:53   Link #34
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer

I want more Pirates aRRrrhh!!! ^^. I miss the Jolly roger on the Valks, i don't like Ozmas dead cow logo... This time we will see the how the mystery unfolds and who will be the ones who will go to therapy ^^. maybe the next few eps, this might just be the tip of the iceberg.... at least we'll finally see if the unsinkable Titanic will sink ^^.

Last edited by sekidousai; 2008-09-11 at 03:07.
Old 2008-09-11, 03:12   Link #35
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

I can't wait.....let's hope it isn't a full set up episode.

BTW. Did you guys prefer gg's "scurvy dogs" or lunar's "bilge rats"?
Old 2008-09-11, 03:18   Link #36
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer

I prefer the scruvy dogs
Old 2008-09-11, 03:28   Link #37
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Quote:
I just donīt get why some people dislike Alto so much. Yeah, he was a very aggressive protagonist at the start and he behaved kinda dense towards the girls intentions during a lot of the anime, but he has stepped up mayorly in the last episodes. Not to forget that him being who he is, made Sheryl interested in the first place. The challenging ones are always the interesting ones.
In my case, it doesn't revolve in 'just' the romance part. He has his good qualities, I see that BUT, what about his awareness of his surroundings. On the last episode I expected him to go with Ozma's group but instead he was with Luca. To what extent of the information he was informed is not known but the fact that he fails to realize what's happening is what i'm rambling about. But enough of this none sense, every new episode is a new beginning. I can only hope for a satisfying result.

Quote:
I feel the need to support
Old 2008-09-11, 04:24   Link #38
ipernorris

Quote:
In my case, it doesn't revolve in 'just' the romance part. He has his good qualities, I see that BUT, what about his awareness of his surroundings. On the last episode I expected him to go with Ozma's group but instead he was with Luca. To what extent of the information he was informed is not known but the fact that he fails to realize what's happening is what i'm rambling about. But enough of this none sense, every new episode is a new beginning. I can only hope for a satisfying result.
Well you have to take into consideration that Alto made a promise to Sheryl to stay with her until her death. I think that promise played a decisive role in Alto's decision to stay aboard Frontier. I hope it's out of love and not out of pity: the difference is slim but radical at the same time.

Besides we don't know what Quarter's purpose is: we only know they consider themselves as pirates now, but we have no clue what they want to do exactly. Most likely they have become a third party which will deal with Vajra indipendently from Leon's order, perhaps looking for a cease fire.
Old 2008-09-11, 06:01   Link #39
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Hn. The thing about Alto...I think the best way I can describe Alto is probably...luke warm =A=; Like how Ranka is disliked for being incompetent as a heroine, Alto as a hero, not as a person, is the lamest thing I've seen yet.

It's like, originally his entire design was made to a) reel in fangirls and b) be amusing while doing so, seeing as he's basically suppose to look like a woman, but that fanservice pretty much went flat once Burera entered the scene (Burera is damn pretty. Boring as fuck but damn pretty with a slut outfit to go with it D8) The "mistaken for girl" jokes also seem retarded seeing as everything but his head screams MALE in ten different languages. Nobody in animu land mistakes Kanda (DGM...by the way I hate that manga) for a girl, so I don't see why street sales person would mistake VERY TALL BROAD Alto to be a woman girly enough to wear ranka-esque dresses.

There wasn't even any gay in this series >A> *depress* that was totally why I initially decided to watch it lmao

And then there's his character which...sits about rotting 90% of the time. The guy does...absolutely nothing, he's like a sub character that got given too much screen time. I'm glad he stayed with Sheryl last ep but...at this point he's really just allowing situation to toss him about.

Special powers got dibbed by Ranka, awesome singer role got dibbed by Sheryl, and over-the-top heroic manly KICK REASON TO THE CURB! act was taken away by Ozma, and protective bodyguard was eaten by Burera. Alto really hasn't got much of a role to play :'D

What depresses me even further is the lack of Burera/Alto flight rivalry? I mean Alto jsut gets pwned every time, while the ops make it look like they're equals of...sorts...

Alto why art thou so lame D8
Old 2008-09-11, 06:33   Link #40
magnuskn

As a counter-point, Alto has been shown several times in the past to be an exceptional pilot. Sure, he is getting out-piloted by Brera, but as the latter has CYBORG HAX, I couldnīt care less. He is at the same level as Ozma, who after all is a veteran fighter pilot with more than a decade of experience under his belt.

He doesnīt have the most outgoing personality, nor is he as assertive as Sheryl or Michael, but as soon when he recognized that they were his real friends, it was easy to notice that he really cared for them. Michael had to tone down his teasing of him, Sheryl drop a bit of the tsun-tsun attitude and Ranka... well, she had to be saved a lot and save him that one time.

As for his womanly looks... I guess we have to go with how the inhabitants of Frontier see Alto, even if the animators canīt make it work completely.

Are there more interesting protagonists? Sure, there are guys like Gene Starwind, who are much more outgoing. But I can live with a more introspective main character, who has issues and doesnīt make friends as easily.

Squall from Final Fantasy VIII was exactly such a one, and I really liked the guy after a while, too. Such characters take getting used to, but in the end they are worth it, IMO.