AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Bakemonogatari - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 51 37.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 28.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 21.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 8.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.74%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-23, 02:55   Link #101
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Very good episdoe, this. Now the question is how Senjougahara will react once she finds out that those wounds are given to her beloved by someone other than her. Oh joy!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 03:47   Link #102
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Very good episdoe, this. Now the question is how Senjougahara will react once she finds out that those wounds are given to her beloved by someone other than her. Oh joy!
Or when she finds out Araragi has spent a whole day with Kanbaru (.. "Kanbaru?" .. - killing aura - ).
Old 2009-08-23, 03:48   Link #103
Zetsubo
著述遮断

I think it is the other way around.

Kanbaru is dangerous to Senjougahara what with that twisted wish giving oddity.

I think Koyomi lied to Senjou, not to protect Kanbaru, but to protect Senojugahara from Kanbaru.

Senjougahara cannot survive a confrontation with an enraged oddity like he can.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 04:05   Link #104
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
I think it is the other way around.

Kanbaru is dangerous to Senjougahara what with that twisted wish giving oddity.

I think Koyomi lied to Senjou, not to protect Kanbaru, but to protect Senojugahara from Kanbaru.

Senjougahara cannot survive a confrontation with an enraged oddity like he can.
Very good point. I understand the implication. I think it's also safe to assume Senjogahara was speaking candidly when she mentioned that she would kill anyone who tries to kill Araragi. It's common knowledge that she solely possess the right to kill Araragi and no one else. I had such a blast watching two episodes in one sitting. This show is simply amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Or when she finds out Araragi has spent a whole day with Kanbaru (.. "Kanbaru?" .. - killing aura - ).
Oh,... but his crime goes beyond that of spending time with Kanbaru. He was loudly wandering if pantsus were there or not there, (word caption read in the background: "guilty, not guilty") underneath when the subject was casually raised. Final sentencing will be rendered by Senjougahara. I'll be holding my breathe. *large inhale*
Old 2009-08-23, 04:08   Link #105
kujoe
from head to heel

Well, if she could pick up Hanekawa's scent, then chances are she might find out about Kanbaru. This seems to be an isolated incident though. Maybe Hanekawa uses strong perfume? She only finds out about Kanbaru when Araragi mentions her by name.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 04:23   Link #106
monir
cho~ kakkoii

hehe...Another very good point. It escaped my memory a for a seond that Senjougahara is quite the sniffer. Hopefully she will pick up on the scent about Araragi's affair with Kanbaru after the oddity takes its leave.
Old 2009-08-23, 04:42   Link #107
Chrono Helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Oh man loved he's reaction when she revealed you know what.
And after she said 'now we've got the difficult stuff out of the way', too.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 05:05   Link #108
Bordix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaloki View Post
"Lie there and be happy until you can move.." ARARAGI! YOU LUCKY BASTARD!!!
I'm guessing he spent the entire night lying there
Old 2009-08-23, 08:40   Link #109
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Well, if she could pick up Hanekawa's scent, then chances are she might find out about Kanbaru. This seems to be an isolated incident though. Maybe Hanekawa uses strong perfume? She only finds out about Kanbaru when Araragi mentions her by name.
This is Araragi we're talking about. I'm sure he'll slip up yet again and let her know.

Though i think there's a higher chance that she'll find out some other way before that.
Old 2009-08-23, 08:52   Link #110
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

A bike. Stuck on top of a telephone pole. Some traffic accident we had there...

Very good episode, and certainly better than the last arc's equivalent. Loved how bluntly they presented two of her character traits (and hinting at two more, from wiki) and the conversations that arose. "Girls love to talk dirty too" indeed. And lol at Shinobu sulking over a donut.

My take on the "Rain[e]y Devil" is that in action it somehow resembles the Death Stone from Ga-Rei. It takes the host's inner desires and magnifies them a few hundred times, then takes over the host body and acts on these emotions using the simplest method available (which just so happens to be elimination). And yeah, it's very interesting how we have Kanbaru possessed by a Demon that magnifies emotions and Hitagi got a God that removes them.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
I think that it couldn't be helped that Kanbaru left Senjougahara. Kanbaru admired and loved her. In fact, She knew that she couldn't help Senjougahara's problem but at least she wanted to do her a favor and tried to comfort her. It was because Senjougahara said outright to Kanbaru that she didn't want to get involve with her again. For Kanbaru, that was really hurt. She didn't leave Senjougahara because she wanted to or had no more intention to help. But it was Senjougahara's wish. And Kanbaru thought that it was the only thing she could do for Senjougahara. If that could make Senjougahara felt a bit happier, she would do it. That was the reason Kanbaru left her alone. IMO
This. She didn't have any solution in mind for Hitagi's weight loss (she couldn't have grasped the very concept also), so this was her only course of action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There's no question that Bakemonogatari continues to have the most compelling and distinctive anime visuals in recent memory; certainly of the last two or three years, imo.
This is actually pretty common among SHAFT productions, though Bakemonogatari is arguably the most fitting show for this presentation style.
Old 2009-08-23, 09:47   Link #111
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
This episode felt like a bit of a drag, and the (inevitable) path to Oshino repetitive. I hope the whole mystery of that hand proves to be interesting.
You know, I kind of suspect no one raised this because it's so glaringly obvious, but I guess I'll risk the ridicule by pointing out why it's highly necessary for each arc to lead to Oshino. It's simply because he is the only one who can make meaning out of all the pun-based oddities that Araragi encounters.

After all, Oshino isn't called Meme for no reason.

Meme: A postulated unit or element of cultural ideas, symbols or practices, transmitted from one mind to another through speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena. The etymology of the term relates to the Greek word mimema for "something imitated". The word was first introduced by British scientist Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976) to discuss evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. He gave as examples melodies, catch-phrases, and beliefs (notably religious beliefs), clothing/fashion, and the technology of building arches.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 11:45   Link #112
Johnny
Working the bags...

Or maybe she knows Hanekawa's scent because she considered her a threat to her prey. Unlike Kanbaru, well maybe if Araragi decided to play the woman's role while she played the man's role...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 11:45   Link #113
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Hitagi nor Mayoi wanted Koyomi dead.
Perhaps that's an overstatement, 'life threatening' would be a better choice of words. Even if Araragi's immune to Senjouhara's chosen arsenal of school supplies, for the few minutes before the audience is let into the secret, I was truley shocked at the audacity and violence of Senjouhara's attack and evident willingness to go further. Hatsukuji may not have actually eaten all of her victims after they've become lost with her (though how anyone other than Araragi could survive 'playful' bite like the one that took hs fingers down to the bone is beyond me), but being eaten by a wandering spirit asdie, certainly being trapped wandering forever is life threatening in of itself.

Quote:
You guys seem to forget that Senjougahara was pleased Araragi is a virgin.
<snip>
Again she states... The only women that would be interested in a inexpereinced virgin like you are crazy virgins like me.
I think this is very insightful. It's exactly this type of nuanced psychological rendering that makes this series for me! Who'd 'av thunk it? A talking only anime where the talking is actually more compelling than the action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
So far, each character has been afflicted with some sort of supernatural abnormality. The sources for such curious cases are always those of the supernatural, but each affliction is also reflective of the personal and inner turmoil that resides in each of them.

Again, the story is wonderful in portraying this, resorting to plays of spoken and written language.
Not just the word play! Also playing with the stereotypes of the girls that Araragi encounters. On the surface, the tsundere type should hide sickly sweet dere-dere under a blunt and hostile exterior. Instead we have emptiness brought about by trauma - a comment on the depth of those who are beguiled by the charatype, and/or a much more interesting and plausible character portrait. Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
You know, I kind of suspect no one raised this because it's so glaringly obvious, but I guess I'll risk the ridicule by pointing out why it's highly necessary for each arc to lead to Oshino. It's simply because he is the only one who can make meaning out of all the pun-based oddities that Araragi encounters.
Ah, I like that! I hadn't looked at it that way and it's quite satisfying. It also resonates with what I see as the strong counter-(anime)cultural structure to the story. If every encounter is simultaneously a send up, perversion, and psychologically realistic rendition, of steroetypical moetic anime tropes, and Araragi is likewise a twist on the sterotypical hero that the otaku audience can identify with (uncharacteristically lacking indecision, wishy-washiness, or inability to express himself) then Meme is the anti-otaku.

You can see it how he acts, speaks and dresses. He has the perspective to control the pun-based (moetypical) oddities that ensnare Araragi. However he's not separate from them in 'proper' salaryman Japanese life. He lives in a derelict building and dresses 'cool'. He is beholden to no one and no culture, but is a powerful free thinker and a model to emulate.

Meme holds the truth, and the truth will set you free. Or something like that...
Old 2009-08-23, 12:51   Link #114
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

I still don't understand why lesbians would be into BL... :P
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 13:01   Link #115
zato_1one

I think she is bi.
Old 2009-08-23, 15:45   Link #116
achirist

I guess this wasn't my favorite episode. Back in the beginning of this thread, someone mentioned the bitter experience of a lesbian attacking you because you're dating a girl she liked; and that happened to me (though not with actual violence), so I wasn't terribly into it. But I liked the books well enough, and there were some funny moments between Araragi and Kanbaru, as well as some deep ones, like when they admitted (in true Tsusuba style) that no one can become anyone else or replace someone else. It occurs to me now that I'm glad the visit to Hoshino was off-screen during the mayoi snail storyline, as we don't want to overdo that. But as always there was an interesting twist/wordplay; and we have a rainey devil instead of just the monkey's paw. I would think Kanbaru would have been more surprised to see that Araragi wasn't injured to any extent when he showed up at her house the next morning.

I wonder, did Sengojahara really believe him about getting hit by a car, or was she just, oddly enough, respecting his boundaries? And is that the vampire who bit Araragi that we saw, who lives with Hoshino and eats donuts? I, too, love staple stable enough to not need a different OP.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 16:52   Link #117
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
That's an interesting interpretation, even though I don't agree with it. Given Senjougahara's personality, she appears to have an instinctive dislike for sharing her private emotions with other people. Araragi is the only exception to this rule, for reasons only she would know.

I get the impression that Senjougahara was annoyed by Kanbaru's insistence to help. Senjougahara's expression in Episode 6 when she was recalling their high school relationship was, to me, not one of wistful regret rather than one of confused irritation. Like kujoe suggested, I think Senjougahara realised, at some point, that Kanbaru's infatuation with her went beyond Class S emotion, and that realisation may have creeped her out, especially because she admits to having once been "very close" to Kanbaru.

It's bad enough that she was dealing with weight issues at the time; she didn't want to deal with problems of gender identity as well. Compare this with Senjougahara's venomous dislike for children, and it becomes harder for me to think that she's particularly "saddened" by Kanbaru's pining. Senjougahara doesn't like being put in situations where she doesn't know how best to react, and Kanbaru greatly discomforts her because her presence forces Senjougahara to question her own sexuality. She doesn't know how to deal with Kanbaru, and would therefore prefer that Kanbaru stays away from her.

Kanbaru, I believe, senses this hostility. She said so herself, wondering aloud to Araragi whether things might have been different between her and Senjougahara if she had been a boy. The hatred and jealousy that Kanbaru feels is partly directed at herself, for being "abnormal". Hence her particular supernatural affliction: a grotesque abnormality that reflects her roiling self-hatred, a hatred over her own gender identity.
Actually, I think Kanbaru is pretty comfortable with herself.

Spoiler for things that were understandably left out of the anime adaptation:

And I think she's pretty firmly a lesbian, although she probably makes an exception for Koyomi since Hitagi loves him. She's also just very into anything that's not mainstream and she just likes flaunting it.

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 17:05   Link #118
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
I guess this wasn't my favorite episode. Back in the beginning of this thread, someone mentioned the bitter experience of a lesbian attacking you because you're dating a girl she liked; and that happened to me (though not with actual violence), so I wasn't terribly into it. But I liked the books well enough, and there were some funny moments between Araragi and Kanbaru, as well as some deep ones, like when they admitted (in true Tsusuba style) that no one can become anyone else or replace someone else. It occurs to me now that I'm glad the visit to Hoshino was off-screen during the mayoi snail storyline, as we don't want to overdo that. But as always there was an interesting twist/wordplay; and we have a rainey devil instead of just the monkey's paw. I would think Kanbaru would have been more surprised to see that Araragi wasn't injured to any extent when he showed up at her house the next morning.

I wonder, did Sengojahara really believe him about getting hit by a car, or was she just, oddly enough, respecting his boundaries? And is that the vampire who bit Araragi that we saw, who lives with Hoshino and eats donuts? I, too, love staple stable enough to not need a different OP.
That was a mouthful xP Try separate paragraphs. Of course Senjogahara didn't believe him. But she cared for him enough not ask more.
Shinobu sulking cuz Meme ate her donut was hilarious
Old 2009-08-23, 17:14   Link #119
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
hehe...Another very good point. It escaped my memory a for a seond that Senjougahara is quite the sniffer. Hopefully she will pick up on the scent about Araragi's affair with Kanbaru after the oddity takes its leave.
hehe i thought about right after they had gone to see Oshino. Senjougahara has got quite the nose and just by baiting Ararangi with a simple questions she can figure it all out.

I dont Senjougahara will be jealous but the fact that Ararangi didnt consult her about current events might get her a little annoyed. However if she finds out about the content of their conversation or that Kanbaru made comments about replacing her that could get hairy. I actually think having her around is going to make things much more interesting.

Araragi cant really complain all that much about getting beat i mean he heals fast and he got some service out of it lol. What a great way to cheer your man up when hes beaten down.
Old 2009-08-23, 19:13   Link #120
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Great episode. Last week really sucked without it too. As usual we had our funny parts with her being a lesbian and his hair really moves a lot this episode. One sign that this is a great series is that at the end I fall off my couch because it ended with a great cliffhanger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Araragi cant really complain all that much about getting beat i mean he heals fast and he got some service out of it lol. What a great way to cheer your man up when hes beaten down.
That's what I'm saying man! Although, it was dark and at night.. I don't think he saw that well.