Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-10-01, 05:03   Link #461
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Hmm, actually, more than the power up itself, it was the timing that feels a little too convenient for me. It's like :

"Aww, enemy we can't reach with our current power"
"*whisper from weapon* don't worry, there's power in this weapon that's perfect in this weapon to reach the enemy"
"yay, I can reach it now*

I agree though it's not that bad in regards to the overall plot and the occurence is not numerous enough since the battle itself is not the focus in vol 1 overall story.
In case it's relevant to your interests, both political and economical aspects are covered in Volume 2, and gradually increase in scope and scale from then on. Volume 5 ends the civil war (though a lot of readers have commented on how the final chapters feel a bit rushed; I myself agree that the resolution feels hasty).
Old 2012-10-01, 05:20   Link #462
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
In case it's relevant to your interests, both political and economical aspects are covered in Volume 2, and gradually increase in scope and scale from then on. Volume 5 ends the civil war (though a lot of readers have commented on how the final chapters feel a bit rushed; I myself agree that the resolution feels hasty).
I wonder how many years will it take to catch up with its LN counterpart. Reading first chapter of manga, it seems the scanlation team in charge of this manga did it poorly as i can still saw some blemishes in some pages.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 05:56   Link #463
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I wonder how many years will it take to catch up with its LN counterpart. Reading first chapter of manga, it seems the scanlation team in charge of this manga did it poorly as i can still saw some blemishes in some pages.
Not anytime soon, that's for sure. If Vanadis remains consistent with its release schedule of three Volumes a year, that's a lot to catch up with. If I recall, the manga has yet to finish Volume 2.

I'm not too invested in the manga anyways, considering the stuff that has to be cut out affecting the story.
Old 2012-10-01, 09:42   Link #464
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

I've been seeing this LN title popping up for quite some time now and I guess I've seen some summaries of it and probably got some ideas on how good the series actually is, and it's pretty interesting so far. I might put this on my "to-read" list.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 09:54   Link #465
Insane
Banned

Too bad there haven't been any social groups for this LN. This series seriously needs more recognitions and spotlight.
Old 2012-10-01, 10:06   Link #466
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPotential View Post
I've been seeing this LN title popping up for quite some time now and I guess I've seen some summaries of it and probably got some ideas on how good the series actually is, and it's pretty interesting so far. I might put this on my "to-read" list.
It's not perfectly written, but it's pretty solid for the most part with politics and medieval warfare comprising most of the scope, magical/fantastical elements following suit with world-building and myths in the background making the world feel alive and not just a vacuous background setting.

If I have to compare it with the zeitgeist in mind, I am tempted to say that it is a lightweight Horizon (with regards to the politics, economy, world-building detail and such). Probably an exaggeration as I have no idea how the experience of others were when reading through this series, but in my case I found that keeping in mind the details this series drops (some subtly, some blatantly) just adds more to the entertainment gained from the story's development.

The Japanese language proficiency for this series is also fairly simple to comprehend. Nowhere near Black Bullet level, that's for sure; the terminologies, concepts, and especially character names might be off-putting when trying to put them into romaji terms, but they're nowhere near annoying when reading through it.
Old 2012-10-01, 10:10   Link #467
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Too bad there haven't been any social groups for this LN. This series seriously needs more recognitions and spotlight.
Well, since everyone kept talking about it .. but no one actually did it.. I've gone and created one!

http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=857

EDIT: Added multiple threads for discussion topics as well as a place for high level summaries and terminology and Q&A. Just threw together a summary for Vol 1 based largely on my own memory from reading other more in-depth summaries. Let me know if there are any corrections necessary. Thank you all in advance for any contributions you'll make!

Last edited by willx; 2012-10-01 at 11:44. Reason: UPDATE
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 10:32   Link #468
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Quote:
It's not perfectly written, but it's pretty solid for the most part with politics and medieval warfare comprising most of the scope, magical/fantastical elements following suit with world-building and myths in the background making the world feel alive and not just a vacuous background setting.

If I have to compare it with the zeitgeist in mind, I am tempted to say that it is a lightweight Horizon (with regards to the politics, economy, world-building detail and such). Probably an exaggeration as I have no idea how the experience of others were when reading through this series, but in my case I found that keeping in mind the details this series drops (some subtly, some blatantly) just adds more to the entertainment gained from the story's development.

The Japanese language proficiency for this series is also fairly simple to comprehend. Nowhere near Black Bullet level, that's for sure; the terminologies, concepts, and especially character names might be off-putting when trying to put them into romaji terms, but they're nowhere near annoying when reading through it.
Well, very rarely can any form of written work be considered as "perfect"; sometimes it really is up to the reader to interpret the quality of writing. Thus, I'm not worried about the writing hitting a snag here or there. Horizon is incredibly wordy (and on a much grander scale) and I may not even reach that level of understanding for many more years to come.

My command of the Japanese language isn't strong (granted, I've never taken any formal lessons in the language and pretty much everything I know is through research and self-learning), so whilst I could probably read the novel in its native form I might take more than mere ages to do it. That's how much confidence I have in myself. Might resort to reading it in Chinese because it's faster.

My reading speed is pretty lopsided: I take probably up to twice as long to read Chinese than English and possibly thrice as long in the case of Japanese.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 23:55   Link #469
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Well, from what I've heard, the Chinese translations aren't too bad and are up to speed. That's a pretty good option.
Old 2012-10-02, 23:57   Link #470
Insane
Banned

If Madan no Ou were to be translated from chinese, it would be best if we have TLC for proofreading.
Old 2012-10-03, 00:02   Link #471
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Well, from what I've heard, the Chinese translations aren't too bad and are up to speed. That's a pretty good option.
Might be just my level of chinese but it's quite confusing at times due to the names and such. Chinese translations is at the last chapter of vol 4 and vol 5 started the third chapter(?)
Old 2012-10-03, 01:20   Link #472
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
Might be just my level of chinese but it's quite confusing at times due to the names and such. Chinese translations is at the last chapter of vol 4 and vol 5 started the third chapter(?)
The actual wording and writing style isn't bad and very, very readable (and hence translatable). For example, if I were to pick a piece to translate, I would much rather choose this over Mahouka's technical explanations or Campione's mythology.

The Chinese translations are done on baidu, edited by the translators, then posted on that lightnovel site. If you go straight to the lightnovel site, you could be a few days behind the unedited release. The translator of volume 5- galantrx I think it was- updates just about every day until recently because it's their national holiday. Galantrx is a beast. He worked on Mahouka's later volumes, Oda Nobuna, Madan Vanadis, etc.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 01:22   Link #473
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
The actual wording and writing style isn't bad and very, very readable (and hence translatable). For example, if I were to pick a piece to translate, I would much rather choose this over Mahouka's technical explanations or Campione's mythology.

The Chinese translations are done on baidu, edited by the translators, then posted on that lightnovel site. If you go straight to the lightnovel site, you could be a few days behind the unedited release. The translator of volume 5- galantrx I think it was- updates just about every day until recently because it's their national holiday. Galantrx is a beast. He worked on Mahouka's later volumes, Oda Nobuna, Madan Vanadis, etc.
Ya i been lurking around on baidu lately as well due to the speed, but I find reading on it unpleasant because it's often separated into many small pieces interrupted by other people's post. Goldranx sure is a beast....that speed....I don't know how he does it but....translating machine

Edit - Vol 5 is translated by Katuki(?)
Edit 2 - It's goldranx isn't it? Unless I got the wrong person~

Last edited by xBakaChanx; 2012-10-03 at 02:04.
xBakaChanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 02:14   Link #474
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Still no release date on Vanadis 6. Hopefully this is because they're giving Kawaguchi Tsukasa ample time to write it and go over it! ...Unless they follow the trend and release it on December.
Old 2012-10-03, 02:18   Link #475
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

I'm just hoping that this won't end up like Shina Dark, where the second arc is up in the air. Vol 6 might take some time seeing how its the second arc, I look forward to it ^^ Give him enough time to write a novel that will shock our mind =)
*Side note* I hope the illustrator will come back for vol 6 ^^
Old 2012-10-03, 02:21   Link #476
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

I just hope MF Bunko won't do their thing and MF Bunko this series up.
Old 2012-10-03, 02:21   Link #477
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
I just hope MF Bunko won't do their thing and MF Bunko this series up.
What thing? The thing with IS?
Old 2012-10-03, 02:25   Link #478
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

MF Bunko works usually have a trend of having a new harem with every volume. I can understand it with this series and it's seven Vanadis, but I hope they won't push the author to put in more girls, or ramp up the fanservice to ridiculous degrees while sacrificing the story.
Old 2012-10-03, 02:38   Link #479
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
Ya i been lurking around on baidu lately as well due to the speed, but I find reading on it unpleasant because it's often separated into many small pieces interrupted by other people's post. Goldranx sure is a beast....that speed....I don't know how he does it but....translating machine

Edit - Vol 5 is translated by Katuki(?)
Edit 2 - It's goldranx isn't it? Unless I got the wrong person~
Same person, just different names on baidu and the lightnovel site. Look at the avatar, it's the same.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 02:40   Link #480
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

hehe can't deny mf bunko have a lot of harem series
I hope he won't have too much fanservice/putting in more girls and decrease the amount of fighting/military/political action as well ^^

Edit - Chapter 4 already....that speed.....

Tags
action, ecchi, fantasy, harem, light novel, mf bunko j, politics, romance, seinen, strategy, true harem, war(s)