AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Midori no Hibi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-11, 08:00   Link #1
TronDD
Team the box!

First post? Plus a comment

Ayase rules!!

EDIT: Now I'll add content.

I've read the first volume of the manga. The anime is really butchering it up. It's not really doing a bad job but the manga is simply telling the story better. Ayase is definatly cooler in the manga. The anime made her a wacky too quickly.
Old 2004-05-11, 08:04   Link #2
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

i have the first 2 eps. Still need to watch it.
Old 2004-05-11, 08:18   Link #3
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Never heard of this one. How about giving a quick summary of what it's about and if it's worth watching?

Thanks .
Old 2004-05-11, 09:59   Link #4
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Ayase rules!!

EDIT: Now I'll add content.

I've read the first volume of the manga. The anime is really butchering it up. It's not really doing a bad job but the manga is simply telling the story better. Ayase is definatly cooler in the manga. The anime made her a wacky too quickly.
That's what almost EVERY person who reads manga says. Perhaps you could go into more depth?
Old 2004-05-11, 10:28   Link #5
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Never heard of this one. How about giving a quick summary of what it's about and if it's worth watching?

Thanks .
The page on AS for this series, if you're looking for what it's about, has links to several sites like AnimeNfo describing it. You wouldn't want their work to go to waste now, do you?
Old 2004-05-11, 10:54   Link #6
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
That's what almost EVERY person who reads manga says. Perhaps you could go into more depth?
I probably could but I have only read one volume. And actually, this is the first manga/series pair I have seen deviate like this. Usually stuff is just cut out. Midori is all out of order and scenes are rewritten. It's not simply "based" on the manga, either as it does take stories right from it. It's just the begining of one story combined with end of another.

It's a pretty interesting contorsion. Most complaints about manga to anime is that the manga has more depth. In this case, the manga is simply more coherent.
Old 2004-05-11, 13:15   Link #7
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
I probably could but I have only read one volume. And actually, this is the first manga/series pair I have seen deviate like this. Usually stuff is just cut out. Midori is all out of order and scenes are rewritten. It's not simply "based" on the manga, either as it does take stories right from it. It's just the begining of one story combined with end of another.

It's a pretty interesting contorsion. Most complaints about manga to anime is that the manga has more depth. In this case, the manga is simply more coherent.
Midori no Hibi is very episodic, even in the manga
the only events that "go together" are character introductions, Midori's "admirer" events (how he goes from midori-mad to seiji-stalking) and the whole doctor fiasco. Everything else (especially Ayase, Midori, Seiji, and Seiji's friend) can be shown out of order. The anime has also meshed some chapters together (Midori's fever and the one-armed pull ups are 2 separate chapters)
Old 2004-05-11, 13:38   Link #8
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
I probably could but I have only read one volume. And actually, this is the first manga/series pair I have seen deviate like this.
you obviously havent seen/read planetes, the stories are so different its not even funny. (well yes it is)

** note: jeesus christ on a bicycle! so many manga freaks here! this is ANIME suki!**
Quote:
wacky is good.

and i dont think you should compare the anime to the manga, they are both good in their different respects, and they should both be enjoyed as seperate entities.
Old 2004-05-11, 14:07   Link #9
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Hahah, but they aren't seperate entities. They're seperate mediums of the same whole. That's blatantly clear when the manga magazine announces animes with phrases like "The manga Midori no Hibi has its anime release announced" and stuff like that.

Idunno... I feel like when they use the stuff from the manga, they should do it justice. So far, just about every clip they've taken from stuff is just ripped to shreds or extended beyond what it should be or is just plain not as funny as it used to be. Of course, that doesn't include having to change around the beginnings and endings to make nice seques between events or anything, since I'm fully aware of the difficulty involved in such a thing.
Old 2004-05-11, 19:49   Link #10
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Whoa, Midori no Hibi has its own forum now? I was confused when the Midori thread vanished in the fansub forum. Then the search function lead me to this forum. I completely missed the series forums in the front page...D'OH!.

Anyways...first post in this forum? Just a response to snoopy's post, I've learned to lower my expectations of manga to anime conversions. They are usually dumbed down (or completely changed) in the anime to probably gain more viewers. Midori is no exception. I believe there are some parts that arguably can be done better. But anyways, I'll just be happy and enjoy whatever the anime throws at me, because I'm such a big fan.

Umm...Rin > Ayase > Midori > Shiori > other girls. Rin rules! But she seems a bit too silly in Episode 06...

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2004-05-11 at 19:58. Reason: Grammar mistakes, and added more stuff in the inequation.
Old 2004-05-12, 00:19   Link #11
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Anyways...first post in this forum? Just a response to snoopy's post, I've learned to lower my expectations of manga to anime conversions. They are usually dumbed down (or completely changed) in the anime to probably gain more viewers.
you need to watch planetes then. or akira. akira was so much more impressive in 5.1 surround

i just sincerly pray for manga references to somehow surrounded by the words [spoiler]... ...

Quote:
I believe there are some parts that arguably can be done better.
>< just like this laker game... but where do you get your manga muir? from Japan directly?
Old 2004-05-12, 03:38   Link #12
Marine-RX179

Quote:
Whoa, Midori no Hibi has its own forum now? I was confused when the Midori thread vanished in the fansub forum. Then the search function lead me to this forum. I completely missed the series forums in the front page...D'OH!.
I believe they only added this yesterday......the Midori thread is still there under fansub forum, but it's now just a link to this section of the forum.
Old 2004-05-12, 09:59   Link #13
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Where do I get my mangas? Not directly from Japan. I get them at this store called "Sakura Media" here in Vancouver (British Columbia, not the one in Washington). It's quite close to my house, about a 5 min drive. This store has DVDs, VHS, VCDs, manga, magazines....etc of Japanese media. I also get manga from this manga store in a mall near my house. If neither of these stores have the manga I want, then I have to resort to scanlations (like Midori no Hibi). I can't order online, because I don't have a credit card...yet. I need to be 19 to apply for one . And I can't use my debit card to order...which is a bummer.

Marine, you're right, the thread of Midori no Hibi in the fansub is just a link that leads to here. But before, the thread wasn't even there. It completely disappeared...really. So I was flipping back pages in the fansub forums like crazy but it wasn't there. Maybe it happened just when this forum was created. Oh well...
Old 2004-05-12, 10:16   Link #14
Marine-RX179

Quote:
Marine, you're right, the thread of Midori no Hibi in the fansub is just a link that leads to here. But before, the thread wasn't even there. It completely disappeared...really. So I was flipping back pages in the fansub forums like crazy but it wasn't there. Maybe it happened just when this forum was created. Oh well...
May be when they were 'moving' the thread, it was like using 'cut and paste'....you just so happened to have stumble upon it when it was under the 'cut process' and hasn't got 'pasted' onto the new forum yet.

Oh well, I have no idea how the functions of the mods use works, if it's not like how I think it is, just take what I said as a joke to pass time lol.
Old 2004-05-12, 21:38   Link #15
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Where do I get my mangas? Not directly from Japan. I get them at this store called "Sakura Media" here in Vancouver (British Columbia, not the one in Washington). It's quite close to my house, about a 5 min drive. This store has DVDs, VHS, VCDs, manga, magazines....etc of Japanese media. I also get manga from this manga store in a mall near my house. If neither of these stores have the manga I want, then I have to resort to scanlations (like Midori no Hibi). I can't order online, because I don't have a credit card...yet. I need to be 19 to apply for one . And I can't use my debit card to order...which is a bummer.
hmm.. you are lucky. the biggest conglomeration of manga within 20 miles resides on my bookshelf... and i live around Los Angeles! = = cant wait to be legal to drive... ... ...

aaah! the next one is out!!(old news) *hopes my next door neighbor has already downloaded it*
Old 2004-05-12, 22:33   Link #16
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Lol that scared me. I haven't visit Animesuki forum for a bit, and when I saw the Midori no Hibi thread on the fansub forum was moved, I tought it was licensed. >_<

Thank God it's only getting it's own forum. ^^
Old 2004-05-13, 23:54   Link #17
mah_damey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
hmm.. you are lucky. the biggest conglomeration of manga within 20 miles resides on my bookshelf... and i live around Los Angeles! = = cant wait to be legal to drive... ... ...

aaah! the next one is out!!(old news) *hopes my next door neighbor has already downloaded it*
yall dont have like a borders to go to? theres like 3 borders within 5-10 mintues from my house n they got tons of manga.
Old 2004-05-14, 19:23   Link #18
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Do they have Midori? 'Cause if they do, then I'm there.

*doesn't read translated manga anymore*
Old 2004-05-15, 16:11   Link #19
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Well, I think the anime conversions are deliberately somewhat different from the manga to attract a broader audience. If it was identical to the manga, it would only appeal to a small number of purists, but the major part wouldn't see a reason to get it when they already have the manga and there was absolutely nothing new in the anime.
Old 2004-05-16, 01:29   Link #20
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Hm. I wonder why Naruto's so popular, then.
Closed Thread