AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-01, 14:17   Link #1
blinddumbdeaf

something like Black Butler?

I've only watched a little anime and I'm looking for more good stuff - thought these forums would be the right place to start.

Just finished the second series of Black Butler, which I really really liked. Also like Big-O. I also enjoyed the Utena movie (didn't see the series) and yes, I'll admit that I enjoy Sailor Moon - well, at least the last three seasons (S, SuperS and Sailor Stars)

Anything that's dark and mysterious, supernatural would be good. I also enjoy things with a Western influence, especially anything from the British Victorian or Edwardian eras. I've seen a couple with vampires on Netflix that looked interesting, but everything I find on Netflix is dubbed and I'd prefer to watch in Japanese with English subtitles. Oh, and I prefer a series over a film but it's not necessary.

Doesn't have to fit all of those criteria, just anything that hits along those lines. I'm a total novice so if you even have suggestions on sub-genres of anime to look at, I'd appreciate that, too.

Thank you in advance! I need all the help I can get.
Old 2012-02-01, 18:30   Link #2
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I can think of a couple of series off the top of my head.

Full Metal Alchemist(the first one) is clearly Western in setting, and takes place in a parallel world before World War II. There is definitely some supernatural things to it, with homunculi and alchemists and there is some really dark things once you get into some of the backstory. It's done by Bones and Edward Elric is a pretty good protagonist too.

Gosick is a mystery series set in 1924 in Europe. It follows a Japanese student who just transfered in and a mysterious blonde-haired girl named Victorique who wears dresses that look pretty Victorian. There is some supernatural and dark stuff once you get into Victorique's backstory. It's also done by Bones so the animation quality is pretty good. You can also watch it on Crunchyroll.
Old 2012-02-01, 21:38   Link #3
kitten320

It's late here so I'll be short:
Madoka Magica will be perfect. Since you like Sailor Moon, magical girl stuff won't be a push away. Madoka became very famous for its dark themes which are unusual for this genre. You'll see what I mean once you watch episode 1 and especially episode 3.

Enjoy the watch!
Will post more when I'll get time
Old 2012-02-01, 22:14   Link #4
Cryonosis
~Desu

Check out D.Gray man as well; looks like it'd match up well with a few of the series you listed as liking.
Old 2012-02-02, 03:39   Link #5
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

You should watch Inu X Boku SS : it's very similar to Black Butler except it sets in modern world and the protagonist is a highschool girl who enters to a mansion when only rich students can enter. One day, she met a male butler who happens to have fox powers. It's currently ongoing and has 3 of 12 episodes released weekly.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-02-02, 04:26   Link #6
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Crimson Shell
This is a manga and not an anime, but I think it fits your requirements nicely. It has a modern but Victorian-inspired European western setting and a dark story with lots of plot twists. It's only 6 chapters long, so you can read and finish it really quickly.
Old 2012-02-02, 10:33   Link #7
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

If you enjoyed Utena the movie, watch the series, it won't disappoint you.

Sakura Wars is set in an alternative steampunk-ish universe in early 1900. You may start with the movie and see if it's something you need.

You may also like Vampire Knight.
Old 2012-02-02, 11:00   Link #8
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Try The Mystic Archives of Dantalian : it's a 2011 12-episodes mystery TV anime sets in 1920 England. Hugh is a professional detective until one day he meets Dalian, a young girl who possess prohibited magical books. Together, they resolve various supernatural cases.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-02-02, 18:26   Link #9
kitten320

^This show is better to be watched before Gosick. Even though they are totally different shows, you still won't be able to deny similarities. And among two Gosick is superior. If you watch Gosick first, there are huge chances that you won't enjoy Dantalian. I for example never was able to finish it =/
Old 2012-02-03, 08:22   Link #10
blinddumbdeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Gosick is a mystery series set in 1924 in Europe. It follows a Japanese student who just transfered in and a mysterious blonde-haired girl named Victorique who wears dresses that look pretty Victorian. There is some supernatural and dark stuff once you get into Victorique's backstory. It's also done by Bones so the animation quality is pretty good. You can also watch it on Crunchyroll.
Awesome, this looks good. Thanks for the suggestion.

As far as Full Metal Alchemist, I've heard about that one before, but I've always been a little hesistant about it because it was on Adult Swim's block and thought it might be kinda... generic. Of course, that was a complete assumption. Am I wrong on that one?

Thanks again.
Old 2012-02-03, 08:32   Link #11
blinddumbdeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
^This show is better to be watched before Gosick. Even though they are totally different shows, you still won't be able to deny similarities. And among two Gosick is superior. If you watch Gosick first, there are huge chances that you won't enjoy Dantalian. I for example never was able to finish it =/
Okay, Dantalian and then Gosick, check. Also, thanks for the Madoka recommendation, it looks pretty good as well.

Additional question for you: what's the deal with anime lists? I've noticed that a couple of people post them or link to their lists in forums. What do you generally use that for?
Old 2012-02-03, 08:35   Link #12
blinddumbdeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleo Scanti View Post
If you enjoyed Utena the movie, watch the series, it won't disappoint you.

Sakura Wars is set in an alternative steampunk-ish universe in early 1900. You may start with the movie and see if it's something you need.

You may also like Vampire Knight.
Sakura Wars and Vampire Knight look awesome - can't wait.

Re: Utena -- I think I read somewhere that the series had more silly elements to it. Is that true? I wasn't sure if I could make the transition after watching the movie first. What's your take on that?

Thanks again for the suggestions. Everyone has made such good recommendations, I'm kinda overwhelmed!
Old 2012-02-03, 08:37   Link #13
blinddumbdeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Crimson Shell
This is a manga and not an anime, but I think it fits your requirements nicely. It has a modern but Victorian-inspired European western setting and a dark story with lots of plot twists. It's only 6 chapters long, so you can read and finish it really quickly.
Ooo this looks good. I have not read any manga at all, but perhaps this is a good place to start? Thanks for the pointer.
Old 2012-02-03, 08:44   Link #14
blinddumbdeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryonosis View Post
Check out D.Gray man as well; looks like it'd match up well with a few of the series you listed as liking.
I started to check this one out, actually, on Hulu but then realized that I can only watched the dubbed episodes through Hulu Plus on my TV. Total bummer because I really enjoy the original language w/ subtitles. And Hulu Plus seems to do this for all of their anime! It's so bothersome.

I've noticed that's the case with a lot of the anime on Netflix, as well. Lots of dubbing. Someone should tell Funimation or whoever that some of us enjoy watching in Japanese.

All that is to say: yes, good suggestion, I'm looking for a way to watch this one right now. Thanks!
Old 2012-02-03, 11:44   Link #15
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that the series had more silly elements to it. Is that true? I wasn't sure if I could make the transition after watching the movie first. What's your take on that?
I actually prefer the series. There are some silly elements, but but not too much. And there is more logic in it.
Old 2012-02-03, 22:50   Link #16
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinddumbdeaf View Post
Okay, Dantalian and then Gosick, check. Also, thanks for the Madoka recommendation, it looks pretty good as well.

Additional question for you: what's the deal with anime lists? I've noticed that a couple of people post them or link to their lists in forums. What do you generally use that for?
That basically helps you to keep track of what you have watched so far. If you only saw 5 animes or so, you won't really need it. but once you have seen more than 100. things get complicated especially when you are asking for suggestions.

It will be a pain to list all the shows you saw in each thread and it will be a pain for advisors to advise anything when you have already watched almost everything or when adviser watched over hundreds of animes and most of them suit the suggestion theme. Imagine that you have seen 50 romantic animes, it will be a pain to list them all in Romance suggestion theme without any guidance.

Like that you just keep your own track and help others with helping you. Makes things more efficient.

P.S. Instead of answering to everyone separately, you can group the answer in one post by quoting. Otherwise you might get a ban for wasting space.
Old 2012-02-04, 03:42   Link #17
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
... so why has no one suggested Hellsing? I liked the series, but the OVAs (called Hellsing Ultimate) are much more faithful to the original manga. It's got badass vampires, a badass butler, big guns, very supernatural (I would hope the vampire part implied that)... overall, it's got all the good stuff

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Closed Thread