AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-15, 18:12   Link #25761
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Would be amazing if this turned out to be true. The images certainly look to be biological in origin, but I obviously don't know of whether they could be contaminants. I'd also be very curious where it came from, originally.

That's also the first I've ever heard of the 'red rain' phenomenon... How interesting.
The meteorite thing looks really sketchy.
Old 2013-01-15, 18:19   Link #25762
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
The meteorite thing looks really sketchy.
Oh well. I just was set off on a reading binge about red rain, blood rain, animal rain, etc so at least my edification on a pointless subject came from it.
Old 2013-01-15, 18:42   Link #25763
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Sorry for this article being in french but I couldn't find the equivalent in english:
Un jeu vidéo du lobby des armes fait polémique ( A polemical video game from the NRA .)
http://techno.lapresse.ca/jeux-video...2_accueil_POS1
Mostly it's the NRA being hypocrite as always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Yeah I quite loved this one, saying game are the causes of the shooting but releasing a shooting game, that's perfect.
To be fair, the NRA blames "violent" games, and as far as I can tell their app is strictly target shooting, which is less violent than even good old Duck Hunt on the NES.

I do agree they're being hypocritical though, their tactic of putting blames on something else, in this case video games, is exactly the same as the anti-gun crowd uses.
Old 2013-01-15, 20:33   Link #25764
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Chelsea Clinton is returning to Washington—this time in a leadership role. The former first daughter has been named the Honorary Chair of the 2013 National Day of Service and will headline a summit on the National Mall on Saturday to launch President Barack Obama's second inauguration.
http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/ch...182200342.html
She runs in 2014 or 2016 and what position?
Old 2013-01-15, 21:44   Link #25765
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
She runs in 2014 or 2016 and what position?
I suspect if she runs for anything it will be for a House seat. Currently she lives in Manhattan, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her run in the Arkansas 2nd which includes Little Rock. That's the most competitive of the AR seats; the Republican, Tim Griffin, won by about 40,000 votes last November out of about 280,000 ballots cast. Griffin took the seat in the 2010 Republican landslide and held it in 2012. Depending on how stupidly the Republicans in Congress behave, he might be vulnerable in 2014. The district does not look especially gerrymandered compared to many of the Republican seats after reapportionment. The Democrats controlled the governorship and the state legislature when the lines were drawn, though they won none of the four seats in 2012.

My other First Family prediction is a Michelle Obama run for the Senate from Iillinois in 2020. Dick Durbin might be ready to retire by then, and both Obama daughters will no longer be living at home.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-01-16 at 10:30.
Old 2013-01-15, 22:16   Link #25766
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

More electrical problems with Boeing 787, again in Japan. Their aviation authorities grounded it, so I wonder if my hometown of San Diego will still have direct JAL service to Tokyo, or my childhood hometown of Boston.
Old 2013-01-16, 05:04   Link #25767
konart

Two die in helicopter crane crash in Vauxhall, London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21040410
Old 2013-01-16, 07:55   Link #25768
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Analysis: France digs in for long, uncertain stay in Mali
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90F0EL20130116

French, Malian troops encircle Islamist rebels in central Mali
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90D0FX20130116
Old 2013-01-16, 08:48   Link #25769
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
More electrical problems with Boeing 787, again in Japan. Their aviation authorities grounded it, so I wonder if my hometown of San Diego will still have direct JAL service to Tokyo, or my childhood hometown of Boston.
What can you say, when it rains, it pours.

Considering the relatively few numbers of 787s in service, it's quite odd to see so many having similar issues all at the same time.
Old 2013-01-16, 11:29   Link #25770
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
What can you say, when it rains, it pours.

Considering the relatively few numbers of 787s in service, it's quite odd to see so many having similar issues all at the same time.
Boeing were trying out a new production and integration regime for the 787. Essentially they wanted more of the work to be done by parts suppliers, with less done at the final integration stage (in Seattle? 1). So couple together a new plane, a new production regime, and a rush to get the thing ready (given the delays), and it isn't too hard to see where all these niggles have come from.

I'm sure Boeing will get through this . In the mean time it sucks for all of ANA & JAL's passengers. I hope those airlines have enough other planes to make up for the missing 787's...

--edit--

1 Apparently I should read wikipedia some more: final assembly is at either Everett, Washington, or North Charleston, South Carolina.
Old 2013-01-16, 12:39   Link #25771
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Obama calls for research into link between video games and violence

Quote:
President Barack Obama today called for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to conduct further research into the relationship between video games, media images and violence.

That Presidential Memorandum was among 23 gun violence reduction executive actions laid out this morning during a nationally televised address. Those actions, all of which are being initiated today, include proposing bans on "military-style" assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, increasing mental health services, making schools safer and improving background checks.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/16/388...s-and-violence

Old 2013-01-16, 13:47   Link #25772
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I suspect if she runs for anything it will be for a House seat. Currently she lives in Manhattan, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her run in the Arkansas 2nd which includes Little Rock. That's the most competitive of the AR seats; the Republican, Tim Griffin, won by about 40,000 votes last November out of about 280,000 ballots cast. Griffin took the seat in the 2010 Republican landslide and held it in 2012. Depending on how stupidly the Republicans in Congress behave, he might be vulnerable in 2014. The district does not look especially gerrymandered compared to many of the Republican seats after reapportionment. The Democrats controlled the governorship and the state legislature when the lines were drawn, though they won none of the four seats in 2012.
i am guessing she isn't going for a southern state. Even through the district looks good. There isn't a lot of room for her to move up.
Old 2013-01-16, 14:00   Link #25773
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

let's spend $500 million dollar to study why violent games make people VIOLENT!

GOD BLESS AMERICA! >_______>
Old 2013-01-16, 14:06   Link #25774
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

NRA planning ‘the fight of the century’ against Obama
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...against-obama/
Quote:
The letter reflected the NRA’s tough, no-holds-barred campaign against tighter restrictions on weapons and echoed a sharp video released by the group that calls Obama an “elitist hypocrite” for having the Secret Service protect his two daughters at school while saying that he is “skeptical” about armed guards in all schools.
Well, all president's childrens received protection from the Service Secret and given the number of death treats than Obama received, to protect his daughters is kind of a obvious action.
Old 2013-01-16, 14:30   Link #25775
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Let the NRA squeal. The only thing that is holding back common sense this time is skiddish Democrats in the Senate who will outlast Obama.

IF they vote against the legislation to try and appease the NRA and its conservative base then they're fools. Whether they vote for the measures or not, these people will ALWAYS vote Republican no matter what.
Old 2013-01-16, 15:38   Link #25776
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post

GOD BLESS AMERICA! >_______>
It's 10 million, actually.

And, yes, before making laws, it would be a good idea to try to get the facts. (Suspicions that various moneyed interests will be more interested in protecting themselves than finding out the truth set aside.)

Or, you know, we could just be arrogant dicks and declare that gut feelings (which are, after all, free) are just as good as scientific studies. Even and especially when so many people have so many contradictory gut feelings.
Old 2013-01-16, 15:42   Link #25777
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's 10 million, actually.

And, yes, before making laws, it would be a good idea to try to get the facts. (Suspicions that various moneyed interests will be more interested in protecting themselves than finding out the truth set aside.)

Or, you know, we could just be arrogant dicks and declare that gut feelings (which are, after all, free) are just as good as scientific studies. Even and especially when so many people have so many contradictory gut feelings.
how come no money is spend on studying violent movies and tv and gun violence?
Old 2013-01-16, 16:00   Link #25778
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, it said "media images". Maybe they're included?

(And one could ask about the relationship between gun ownership and violence... except that's apparently outlawed.)
Old 2013-01-16, 16:14   Link #25779
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Except that there's already a ton of research that shows there's little or no link. But sure, he's throwing a waffle to the soccer mom idiots who are just *sure* there's a problem there. (More recent studies show the ability to channel aggression in video games or in sports reduces violent tendencies to act out in real life)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
That's a "When did you stop beating your wife?" statement. It pre-supposes violent games make people violent - almost in the vein of "if she floats like a duck, she's a witch"

But to re-emphasize - there's already a building full of research on the topic. Study it more if they like but the science isn't supporting the "soccer mom gut feeling" or any other blame shifting from actually, you know, RAISING one's kids to be responsible and so forth.
Old 2013-01-16, 17:22   Link #25780
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

@Minh: yeah, $10 million, thanks for the correction. $500 million as a whole for his 23 blah blah...plans or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
how come no money is spend on studying violent movies and tv and gun violence?
they got to point the blame one at a time, you know. if they blame at everything right
now: violent movies, games, and books or whatever, the masses will start
going nuts and start burning their houses down.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international