AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-01-16, 18:11   Link #21
method

20 bucks is the normal price of an anime dvd in the States. Mostly likely the dvd you picked up was on sell.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 19:21   Link #22
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Somethings that I judge (but if anyone in America can confirm, please do so_

In our country, the company that you workd for provides for "transportation fees." I take it that in America, your company doesn't pay for gas for the cars that you use to commute, right? In Japan, we all take the train. The company pays for the commuting fee between your house and the company that you work for bi-annually (but if you lose the train pass, it's your fault, so we keep extra care in not losing that pass). On average, that saves us 80,000 - 100,000yen (approx USD$800 to USD$1,000)annually on commuting.

It has taken to my surprise that America, being the richest nation in the world, doesn't have a national health care system. Japan, and most European nations, have a national health care system. So we probably don't have to pay as much for going to doctors and medicine as in America (on average, a typical Japanese family would spend less than $300 on health care).

In Japan, our companies are obliged to give two annual bonuses (one in the summer and one in the winter) in addition to the monthly salary. Usually, these bonuses are 2-3 months worth of your salary. For example, I get paid around 500,000 yen (USD$5000) a month from my company. Every August and December, I get a bonus of three months worth of my salary IN ADDITION to my salary.

So every August and December, I get:
(bonus)+actual salary
(500,000 yen x three months) + 500,000 = 2,000,000 yen (USD$20,000)

Living in Japan is expensive. But our companies know that since our cost of living is high, they are obliged to give us salaries that gives us a normal standard of living.
yea, and with the new bill passed, medicare will be fail within the next 20 years and everyone will have to use hmo's which barely give coverage
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 22:46   Link #23
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Gundam wing is one of those titles that Bandai are going to be repricing very soon ro a RRP of around $14.95 USD per volume. Now, go to www.dvdpacific.com when (or infact before) those price changes are made, and work out how much the "member" price is.

Is it that expensive?Doubt it.

Oh, and member price requires you to be a member, which costs nothing.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 23:32   Link #24
coldzero

Well, here in Canada one volume for only four episodes already cost $20- for tapes and if you want it in DVD it cost even more just for four episodes-like 30-bucks depending on the store. It does seem a lot, to me sometimes cause i have to use my own money...
I bought the entire series but it was in japanese version-mostly likely could be fake copies since its from an 'asian store' but it was good packaging. I already watch the whole thing from the tv but decided to buy it cause i really liked Wing but in japanese because you get to see all the deleated scenes that America did when they modify it.
Old 2004-01-17, 01:06   Link #25
method

There were no deleted scenes in Gundam Wing. It is a relatively tame show that save for a few changes like the God of Death to the Great Destroyer.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 02:49   Link #26
Blue*Dragon

the dvd's you can't find it online on the site . Check the shops oh yeah you can also check intertoys for dvds

Edit: coldzero when i bought the dvd it contains the fallowing: Japanese voices with Dutch,Japanese or Frans subtile. Frans voices with Dutch,Japanese or Frans subtile.
And or english with Dutch,Japanese or Frans subtile. Oh yeah and maby the karaoke
Blue*Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 06:38   Link #27
Tritium
doaho...

does intertoys have anime dvds WTF?!
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 11:01   Link #28
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
The reason stuff is so obscenely priced in Japan is due to two factors:

1.) A generally higher cost of living and
2.) Price controls on all things by the government

When a company releases a product, they set a price on it. In the 'states it's the MSRP, the "manufacturer suggested retail price." And some stores sell it at that. But it's illegal for them to force it on stores, and few stores actually sell it for that (standard price based competition.)

In Japan, however, the MSRP on new goods is a force of law. On things like CDs, it's a bit flexible but still puts power in the publishers hands as they can set a period of time that it is at one price (most CDs go for 2 years,) then it drops.

No matter what retailer you go to, they will all charge you the same price for the same thing. Unless it's used.

And used goods stores are extremely popular in Japan. The various companies have tried repeatedly to kill them but they can't. They put "NO RESALE" logos on the backs of games but no one pays attention (since there's no teeth whatsoever backing it."

As a result most all of my CDs have been bought used except really new stuff that I can't find. Used manga stores are insanely popular. Used DVDs are still VERY expensive (still more expensive than most R1 series!) CDs go from just under, to half or below the original sale price depending on age, and the condition is almost always perfect. Games are iffy, they tend to drop in price the longer they've been out but popular games (like FFX) tend to stick around a rather high sell-point for a while.

And kj1980, I think it's オタク, not ヲタク...
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 11:13   Link #29
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
And kj1980, I think it's オタク, not ヲタク...
ヲタク works too... Some sort of trendy way of writing it I believe (and since kj IS Japanese I think he'd know it better than I).
Old 2004-01-17, 15:34   Link #30
coldzero

Quote:
There were no deleted scenes in Gundam Wing. It is a relatively tame show that save for a few changes like the God of Death to the Great Destroyer.
It was very few bits here and there not much and i also wanted to hear how the seiyuu souonded in Japan and i thoght america voice actor did better.

Quote:
Edit: coldzero when i bought the dvd it contains the fallowing: Japanese voices with Dutch,Japanese or Frans subtile. Frans voices with Dutch,Japanese or Frans subtile.
And or english with Dutch,Japanese or Frans subtile. Oh yeah and maby the karaoke
My only have English or Chinese. I bought it for 70- don't know if that is cheap or a lot.

Last edited by xris; 2004-01-17 at 15:57. Reason: Quote tags need [/quote] at end
coldzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 16:18   Link #31
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
To us Japanese, when we hear people in American complaing how expensive DVDs are there, we don't believe what they are saying. From our standpoint, DVDs in America are way cheaper.

I mean look at it:

So America get 5 episodes per disc at USD$15. With GundamWing at 49 episodes, that means 9-10 DVD disc at $15 each, coming to a total of USD$147.

In comparison, we have to pay 18000yen (USD$180) for 12-13 episodes only! Just for the entire 49 episodes, we would have to spend 72000yen (USD$720). That is FIVE times as more than America's official release.

If you think stuffs are expensive in America...welcome to Japan.
Wow there's something you don't learn everyday. And I thought we had it bad.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 22:51   Link #32
coldzero

ya that very surprise me as well since Japan money is smaller than Canada i believe
Old 2004-01-17, 23:04   Link #33
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldzero
ya that very surprise me as well since Japan money is smaller than Canada i believe
Japan's currency is the yen, which at the moment is equaled to $0.0122318 Canadian and $0.00942504 USD... But then again, the Japanese don't have decimal currencies like the cent, so you can say that the yen is generally around one cent and convert that way. So a yen does have more value than a Canadian cent though...
Old 2004-01-17, 23:10   Link #34
coldzero

well i'm not good in math one bit though i know i need to do better. So japanese money is bigger than canada then.?
Old 2004-01-17, 23:14   Link #35
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldzero
well i'm not good in math one bit though i know i need to do better. So japanese money is bigger than canada then.?
No if you look at the Canadian dollar (which is the correct way when determining currency), yes if you look at the Canadian cent.