Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2010-04-14, 09:35   Link #1161
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
On another note, no one's claiming love for Lucy? Because I know I will
Lucy was my favorite female in the series until Juvia appeared in the manga.
Old 2010-04-14, 11:17   Link #1162
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Oh, I like Lucy too, but my yuri goggles refuses to be taken off and as a result I can only see her with Levy (the girl with the language magic) now...
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 11:30   Link #1163
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
If we're talking about the ladies, Erza would be my choice. I can't find anything I don't like about her. She's strong, she can be sweet (like when she was in jail with Natsu and gave him a hug to thank him), she's drop dead gorgeous, she's smart, and has a cute side she does her best to hide, but fails (~kya)
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 11:58   Link #1164
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
If we're talking about the ladies, Erza would be my choice. I can't find anything I don't like about her. She's strong, she can be sweet (like when she was in jail with Natsu and gave him a hug to thank him), she's drop dead gorgeous, she's smart, and has a cute side she does her best to hide, but fails (~kya)
You forgot to mention that she wears the best pair of pajamas ever.
Old 2010-04-14, 11:59   Link #1165
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
I was wandering about his anime, and would pick this up but could anyone please tell me in short, what genre is it? Similar to Naruto or Bleach?
Old 2010-04-14, 12:01   Link #1166
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
I was wandering about his anime, and would pick this up but could anyone please tell me in short, what genre is it? Similar to Naruto or Bleach?
It's more like One Piece then the two you mentioned.
Old 2010-04-14, 12:06   Link #1167
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I love how the author set up this series. Each 'arc' contains MANY hints toward the next arc.
This arc was setup by the letters from Lucy to her Mom.
I am already seeing all the 'hints' toward the next arc and we aren't done with this arc.

Kudo's the Mangaka. He spent time diagraming out the next arc and putting plans in the current one.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 12:46   Link #1168
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Yeah, I love it when an author knows the basic outline for a story and throws subtle foreshadowing for future events (one big reason why I'm such a huge fan of One Piece). It seems that Hiro Mashima has learned a lot from his previous work Rave Master. Speaking of Rave, I've read it from beginning to end and I can see how Fairy Tail would be considered lighter. Sure, about every character has a rather tragic past and there's some real tear-jerking moments like the one with Lisanna, but I really feels that in Rave Master it's slightly darker, the stakes are higher and more dangerous, and I feel that the deaths and sacrifices more depressing. Unfortunately, somehow this also means less fanservice, not just in the anime but in the manga too. Although to be fair, my memory may be affected since I read Rave when I was a hormone-fueled 13 years old...
Old 2010-04-15, 01:51   Link #1169
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Nah, it's true that RAVE is a lot darker than FT, because it contains torture, treason, hero going darkside, some very tragic villains and deep main characters (Ellie). I think fanservice is exactly the same, just replace Julia with Erza, the style is very particular. Anyway, FT still got its drama corner, it definitely surpasses Naruto and Bleach story-wise, although the characters could use some work.
Quote:
what genre is it?
action, fantasy, comedy, drama, ecchi. Still different from all big 3 in many aspects.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 02:57   Link #1170
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I must say Juvia is my first favourite female character. Lucy only grew on me later, and Erza... getting better.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 07:08   Link #1171
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Nah, it's true that RAVE is a lot darker than FT, because it contains torture, treason, hero going darkside, some very tragic villains and deep main characters (Ellie). I think fanservice is exactly the same, just replace Julia with Erza, the style is very particular. Anyway, FT still got its drama corner, it definitely surpasses Naruto and Bleach story-wise, although the characters could use some work.
Yeah, Rave is not really dark and depressing as it has quite a significant amount of comedy and generally light-hearted tone, but it is darker than FT. I agree, first time character I have in mind when I see Erza's character is Julia (although they're different in their own way), and this applies to their fanservice too. Still, I believe that Elie got more ecchi situations Lucy, what's with her bathing scene, clothing damage almost every time she got into battle (not that she's really wearing that much to begin with anyway...)

One thing for sure though, there's less romance in FT than Rave. In Rave, the pairings are much more clear and obvious. In FT, all we have so far is Juvia's one-sided crush to Gray and between Natsu and Lisanna (but you know how it ends...). If you're really looking for it, I guess Lucy is often impressed by Natsu's heroics, but that's still a far cry from the thick UST between Haru and Elie in Rave. I think FT's character's relationship focuses more on being about trust and friendship as opposed to just romance, similar to One Piece.
Old 2010-04-15, 09:05   Link #1172
Kafriel
Senior Guest

There are a few pairings besides Juvia and Gray, which would be
Spoiler for shipping spoilers...no, really:

but, as you said, Mashima doesn't focus on romance in FT. Not that it's a bad thing, in RAVE it was necessary as the plot revolved around the characters themselves, while FT is a lot more flexible by having world events occur (missions etc.).
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 09:19   Link #1173
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

You forgot one 1 pairing.. DIE!

Spoiler for manga:

>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 10:14   Link #1174
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Yeah, I didn't include those pairings as they haven't been covered by the anime yet...But still, none of them are really that serious or put into focus anyway, so my point still stands that there hasn't been much romance FT, not that it's necessarily a bad thing (Case in point: One Piece).
Old 2010-04-15, 11:02   Link #1175
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
with all the commotion in here i take it episode 25 is a go. Good because i was starting to go into withdraw and that is not good ruins my whole day.
Old 2010-04-15, 12:04   Link #1176
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Lucy's my favorite all the way, because she's just the butt of too many jokes for me to not love her. I'm almost done with the manga but Juvia still hasn't grown too much on me. Hopefully the anime changes that

And seriously, what about Mirajane? I won't go too much into details here, but damn, she's cool, like another Erza.

Romance isn't a key point for Fairy Tail, but in its place feelings of family and friendship is emphasized. I mistook some of the scenes to be of romance (I'm sure I'm not the only one), but yet it's simply a matter of bonds. Keep in mind, these characters are around 17 years old, so they probably won't know or care much about love and such (... I think). Mashima leaves plenty of room for imagination as to the pairings of couples, and that freedom is pretty refreshing, I'll say.

Case in point,

Spoiler for Shipping and manga spoilers:
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 23:52   Link #1177
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Romance isn't a key point for Fairy Tail, but in its place feelings of family and friendship is emphasized. I mistook some of the scenes to be of romance (I'm sure I'm not the only one), but yet it's simply a matter of bonds. Keep in mind, these characters are around 17 years old, so they probably won't know or care much about love and such (... I think). Mashima leaves plenty of room for imagination as to the pairings of couples, and that freedom is pretty refreshing, I'll say.
Actually, as I recall, the average age is probably closer to 18-19. But yeah, Mashima leaves plenty of room for imagination for a lot of pairings.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 06:50   Link #1178
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Juvia x Gray... I mean Juvia vs Gray, what a fight. I couldn't stop laughing and I felt so sorry for Gray as he really didn't know what was going on. I loved how he pulled out his finishing move at the end, I don't mean his spell, but catching her heart (again)
Old 2010-04-16, 07:28   Link #1179
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Actually, as I recall, the average age is probably closer to 18-19. But yeah, Mashima leaves plenty of room for imagination for a lot of pairings.
not that age means anything in the world of love - in manga. The younger you are, the more prone you're to romance!

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 09:14   Link #1180
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
not that age means anything in the world of love - in manga. The younger you are, the more prone you're to romance!
True enough, age doesn't mean much as far as manga romance. Still, Lucy and Levy are the only ones (of those who have gotten decent screen time) whose ages ages are 17. A few background characters are younger, but everyone else is older.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen