AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-14, 01:09   Link #1
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

The Apocalypse Survival Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Additional Rules for General Apocalyse Survival Discussion:

1) Basic courtesies apply, and try to keep the discussion focused on the topic at hand.

2) All possible Apocalypses/Apocalypsi are allowable, save for Religious themed Apocalypse. If I see Jesus (etc), then you will get warned, infracted, or banned (depending on my mood or the severity of the revelation ).

3) Try to complete one survival discussion at a time (this isn't a stringent rule, just a possible way of keeping the overall conversation on track). It's hard to sustain several different Apocalypses at the same time, so let's try and focus on an individual Apocalypse and how we could potentially survive (points if you can survive without a Gun ).

If anyone wishes to set-up a revolving field of discussion (Plague, War, Natural Disaster, Alien Invasion, Triffids, back to Plague, etc), I would be more than happy to moderate the discussion, and even post the discussion time-table in the OP.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah I wouldn't begin to guess how I'd manage during these kinds of circumstances.
Well, surviving the beginning of a zombie apocalypse is really largely up to luck. That is, when the outbreak first starts, hope that you aren't right in the thick of it.

The next few steps are pretty elementary, and just require logic.

1) Avoid (former) population centers. Zombies are sure to be crawling over every surface of large towns and cities. The country is where you'll find greater chance of refuge. Places like apartment complexes, hospitals, and emergency response stations will inevitably be swamped.

2) Do NOT under any circumstance fight zombies hand-to-hand except as a last resort (i.e. you're out of ammo). The chance of infection is incredibly high in close quarters. It's practically suicide.

3) Stay in a group. Though you might be slower, there is relative safety in numbers. Don't make the group too big, though, because that will draw unwanted attention. Loss of the rule of law will create a potentially hostile environment full of marauders and outlaws.

4) Aim for the head. No matter what kind of zombie it is, a headshot will almost always kill it. That being said, firing your gun should be only when you have no choice, as zombies will almost certainly be drawn to the noise.

5) Arm yourself amply, but so much that it encumbers you or makes you a target of other human survivors. Concealed handguns are best, and silenced weapons are worth their weight in gold. Same for shotguns, but be mindful of ammo limits.

6) Don't bother driving if you can help it, as the roads will be so backed up it is likely you will be attacked while stuck in traffic, a really stupid way to die.

7) Don't call 911. Places like police stations, hospitals, and other emergency response will inevitably be swamped. Same for cell-phone service. It is best to get yourself to safety, THEN try to contact loved ones.

There are other rules, but I won't bother. If a zombie apocalypse ever happens (as incredibly unlikely as that is), I know what to do.

I did notice with interest that the author of the manga (now anime) calls the zombies "them". Which makes sense for this group of students, but not everyone would. Most people would call them either "infected" or "zombies" out of ease-of-use. I would argue 60% of the people would call them zombies, and most of the rest would call them infected. I can't imagine the remnant population of an entire country calling them "them".

Last edited by james0246; 2010-09-25 at 09:25.
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 02:18   Link #2
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Well, surviving the beginning of a zombie apocalypse is really largely up to luck. That is, when the outbreak first starts, hope that you aren't right in the thick of it.

The next few steps are pretty elementary, and just require logic.
You forgot one major (common sensical) rule: Wear protective clothing. A pair of good jeans and a leather coat (or some other thick material that is not too bulky) can save your life from stray bites almost as well as having a good weapon. A stray bite from the zombie you do not see can is just as large a problem as a group of zombies bearing down on you. Remember, defense is just as pivotal as offense in the Zombie Apocalypse....
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 02:23   Link #3
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Remember, defense is just as pivotal as offense in the Zombie Apocalypse...
+Tricked out suburban w/ defense and offense mechanisms. +A Team.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 02:35   Link #4
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
You forgot one major (common sensical) rule: Wear protective clothing. A pair of good jeans and a leather coat (or some other thick material that is not too bulky) can save your life from stray bites almost as well as having a good weapon. A stray bite from the zombie you do not see can is just as large a problem as a group of zombies bearing down on you. Remember, defense is just as pivotal as offense in the Zombie Apocalypse....
On that note, if you find a dead cop or soldier, take his bulletproof vest, it could save you from a bite to the shoulder. Also, don't forget to take any assault rifles, hand grenades, claymore mines, grenade launchers and other goodies he might have on him.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 02:36   Link #5
ImAKami
Paragon of Ero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
+Tricked out suburban w/ defense and offense mechanisms. +A Team.
Don't forget about the stockpiles of ammunition and food... and TP (God forbid if we run out of them).
Old 2010-07-14, 03:01   Link #6
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAKami View Post
Don't forget about the stockpiles of ammunition and food... and TP (God forbid if we run out of them).
we need some rapidfire guns here..... some M134's and MG42's can suffice.....
Old 2010-07-14, 03:56   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
we need some rapidfire guns here..... some M134's and MG42's can suffice.....
So you can run out ammo in the next minute?

If I were to choose it would be a pair of pistols. Snipers and machine guns are nice but ammo is both heavy and easy to run out of. As for melee weapons, probably one of those survival knives and a spear (not necessarily the long kind). Since I'm facing a [stupid] horde, might as well go for piercing weapons that take less effort and give me some distance.
Old 2010-07-14, 04:40   Link #8
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

I'd go with this:

(infinite ammo version)

It would be the best zombie apocalypse ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

Personally I'm pulling for Takashi and Rei. Yeah I realize there are real problems there, but I still like that pairing the most. They both lost the same person through that terrible event and have had feelings for each other which would help build things up there. Besides Takashi was moping over not being together with Rei and here his chance is right now. I like Saeko's character, just not really pulling for that pairing for whatever reason.

Well, yeah. If Takashi ever tried to slap her, she'd cut his balls off.

Seriously, though, I'm also for Takashi x Rei for now. Of course, we've yet to see whether Takashi and Saeko have any chemistry. An independent girl might be more suited for him.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 05:16   Link #9
Circlebutton
Occasional Occasionalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
I'd go with this:

(infinite ammo version)

It would be the best zombie apocalypse ever..
A Patriot! A Calorie Mate for you, sir!
Old 2010-07-14, 06:02   Link #10
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Thank you, sir! Those are great when you're on the run from zombies!
Old 2010-07-14, 06:33   Link #11
Nite-Wing

yeah a pistol and ammo is generally all you really would need.
ammo for the assault rifles and such would be a pain to carry all the time unless you had a car and even then thats only taking you so far.
Since its been proven that these zombies are blind and can only hear things stealth would be the best option.
Old 2010-07-14, 06:55   Link #12
dredmorte

An m1 carbine is the best kind of rifle. Small, lightweight, accurate, easy to handle. Thoug the Mk14 is really cool.

But personally, because I am so awesome, I would try to go to a museum or something, find a spear, a sword, a buckler and ancient/medieval armor. A chainmail would be worth a ton in gold.

edit: typo

Last edited by dredmorte; 2010-07-14 at 09:00.
dredmorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 07:04   Link #13
ImAKami
Paragon of Ero

The Broomhandle Mauser for the most epic pistol ever. You don't have to worry about carrying cumbersome box magazines, just load few hundreds of loaded stripper clips in a duffle bag and you are ready to go!

Increased accuracy if you purchase a stock from a hooded merchant near a flaming blue torch.

And... Mk 14 Mod 0 ftw!!!
Old 2010-07-14, 07:21   Link #14
Nite-Wing

M14 is close to 11 pounds then you have to worry about the ammo and food plus the essentials. I would only risk something like that if I was travelling by myself.
If your with a group though its all good
higher chance of survival
people watching your back
Less chance of death when fighting the horde
Old 2010-07-14, 08:09   Link #15
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
The problem with that is in the event of a zombie apocalypse would one be able to think rationally. I can be entirely candid and say despite reading the handbook and knowing what to do I'd probably panic seeing zombies eating people.

I think the main reason I liked this show and the manga so much was because it pretty accurately showed the fact that most people would not be acting sanely or logically at all, at least not initially. Once some time has passed and you survived maybe a day or two I guess you might be able to start to rationalize the situation calmly.
+ 100

If this happens in real life , people won't react as they believe , we aren't Rambo , + killing someone isn't easy as you thought .
Some people already panic when Riot pretend to charge so if it's zombies ...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 08:57   Link #16
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmorte View Post
An m14 is the best kind of rifle. Small, lightweight, accurate, easy to handle.
Running from the zombies you approach a strange closet. The closet door looks very sturdy as if to protect something important. Bloody hand marks cover the door. The former lock lies at your feet, still attached to part of the door. You are afraid of might be inside but sounds of ghouls coming from your left compel you to kick the door open in anger; although with the lock broken a gentle push would have likely achieved the same.

In the closet you find weapons and ammunition. On your right are handguns and light ammunition, on your left is a M16A4 and cartridges for it. With no bag in sight and no time to pack both in your clothes, you frantically pick the M16 and shove some cartridges in your pockets. As you run out your eyes catch a glimpse of a book on the shelf with the handguns. The book is covered in blood and from the distance you can only make out the word "guide" in the title. You pay no attention to the book and run out in a state of panic.

As you run though the door, you wonder what a room like this would be doing in a highschool, but those those thoughts are quickly replaced by horror as you find you've been surrounded on both sides of the hallway.

Since the ghouls on your right are closest you take the rifle, tilt to your right and holding the rifle parallel to you with both hands aim and squeeze the trigger. Nothing happens. You turn the gun frantically and luckily remember you have to turn the safety off. You try again, aiming for to the left, and hoping to mow down the unholy creatures in one swing. Your shot hits three but under strain of the recoil jumps to the sealing, wasting ammunition. Two of the three slowly crawl back to their feet, the wounds from the 5.56 mm rifle would make some people sick just seeing them, but are nothing to the zombified corpses.

Feelings of helplessness fill you but you gather your courage and collect your thoughts and remember from old movies you need to aim for their heads. Deciding your current Rambo position would yield even worse results if you tried to aim higher you take the gun and mount it on your shoulder. Determined you take aim and fire. Because of your inexperience you can't properly control the rifle and you waste two or three rounds per zombie, but that does not bother you as you snicker at their heads exploding. The rifle shakes violently and if not for your will to live you would have probably dropped it by now.

You feel it will be a close call but you will be able drop them all and escape. Incapacitated zombies slow down the advance of the still moving. Thoughts of optimism swirl in your head, and you start talking to yourself, telling yourself you can do it. But growls and footsteps remind you of the thread from behind. Panicking you turn and start shooting at the now equally close zombies from the other part of the hall, then shooting back at the ones from before. Its a miracle you don't loose your balance from the weight of the weapon but your aim is getting worse and worse. Even though they are now closer you hit some zombies in the mouth, which has no effect on their progress.

Zombies are now getting closer, your sholder is in pain and you start to get really clumsy at reloading your rifle. Soon you realize you are at your last cartage, but zombies are now so close you don't even understand what that means anymore. You yell and swing your rifle around but it hits stopped by a zombies shoulder. Enraged you squeeze the trigger, the gun shakes violently and you empty the cartridge cutting the zombie sholder of. This however doesn't even phase the zombie.

With your hand on your aching, and now also bloody, sholder you run to the window. You see another survivor, a police officer, with two hand guns knocking two zombies at a time. With your pockets empty you think to yourself how ammunition for those weapons is easier to carry and share with others too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmorte View Post
But personally, because I am so awesome, I would try to go to a museum or something, find a spear, a sword, a buckler and ancient/medieval armor. A chainmail would be worth a ton in gold.
You enter the school history club. There you find a replica of medieval armor. It takes a while for you to put the chainmail and armor on. You also pick a strange pointy helmet on the table nearby.

You move out to the hallway to find some legless zombies crawling their way to you. You try to run but its impossible in the armor. You try to walk fast but get tired quick. Soon you strain your muscles and feel like you can't go on. Its not long until you realize the legless zombies have made more progress then you.

You muster up some will power and do your best to claw your way forward, since your feet can barely hold you anymore. The legless zombies however take hold of you. You're afraid, but try to calm yourself with words like: "I'm safe in this." However, the zombies, though their unholy strength, tear easily though the sheet metal and chainmail. Somehow you feel stupid...
Old 2010-07-14, 09:04   Link #17
dredmorte

When I said m14 i meant m1 carbine, silly mistake. It's a rather short and lightweight, old and thus cheap weapon.

Frankly, a chainmail is not that heavy. It depends on your fitness. Soldiers of antiquity were expected to use them all the time, and I certainly wouldn't use a chainmail without first grabbing a melee weapon, like a spear, a rapier or a falcata.
dredmorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 09:09   Link #18
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Do they even still make ammo for the M1?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 09:10   Link #19
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

@felix

You know, the way you styled that wall of text reminded me immensely of the text-quests in Space Rangers game (with later having fewer typos ).

I would agree though - a handgun would likely prove a more optimal weapon in a zombie outbreak for an inexperienced user. With no prior training it would be hard to take advantage of the superior range (we are going for headshots after all) and ammunition would be much easier to obtain for a handgun.

Medieval armor, even a full plate armor, isn't nearly as restrictive nor cumbersome as people would generally assume though.

... well, all of the above doesn't really apply to our gang here anyway, all they have (for now anyway) are sticks and one nail gun.
Old 2010-07-14, 09:17   Link #20
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
/snip/
Bravo, very immersive. How long did it take you to write that?

Handguns sound good, but I would imagine it's very difficult for amateurs to land headshots? I'd choose some sort of submachine gun set to 3-shot burst so I have a better chance of hitting something. And then something to protect my neck. They always go for the neck.

Tags
apocalypse, firearms, survive, zombies