AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2012-05-24, 10:48   Link #31281
Eratas123

Are Modern bows good enough to be used as a main firearm?
Old 2012-05-24, 11:15   Link #31282
greedyspectator

@Eratas
Oddly enough, modern arrows are too slow for Kevlar to block properly. Modern body armor is designed to block fast moving projectiles with a high momentum to kinetic energy ratio. Knives can also easily penetrate Kevlar.

@Demi
Vectran's only roughly five times the cost of Kevlar. Should work for body armor since IS verse is more advanced than real life, so the cost of Vectran can be reduced to about $1/gram justified by advanced technology.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:15   Link #31283
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Well, body armor is vulnerable to sharp object, I believe it's from grade 1 to 3. Grade 4 is exempt because it has ceramic plating, incidentally, most military body armor is this variant.

All in all, it's good for silent killing, but for fast killing... tough luck, especially when enemy found your position.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:22   Link #31284
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Two Fanon machine

Quote:
KB-4SR Panzer Igel

Pilot: Reed “Rito” Yuuki
Origin: German
Generation: 3
Type: Heavy Assault/ Bombardment

Often called antithesis of all Infinite Stratos, born shortly in Germany after Raphael Revive rolled out to market, Panzer Igel was closer to Generation 3 rather than matured generation 2.

Its armor plating was excessive to say at the least, being multiple-layered, partially reflective and ablative, as well as having numerous generators in every single part of the I.S. made it capable of shrugging light I.S. firepower like it doesn't exist, and minimizes the damage from anything else beyond that. This is before Absolute defense is taken into account.

It's main ranged weapon are cluster of 24 laser gun spread across the body, compiled with it’s advanced targeting system, they can shot down multiple targets up to 200 km away in the atmosphere, mostly limited by the laser output.

However, for true anti I.S. application, it carries eight HELIX missile launchers, two in each shoulder and arm shield. It’s bleeding edge chemical payload react strongly with energy barrier, absorbing it and turning it into destructive power. It’s considered slow for I.S. weapon and therefore ineffective against high-speed unit.

Its CQC weapon are considered decent, 12 plasma-edge blade which also spread around the I.S. and capable of delivering small, but continuous damage, and still has considerable mass as parrying tool. A compromise design between beam saber and solid weapon.

While the total mass of the system is huge, it still retains respectable mobility not to be considered a sitting duck. It was designed simply to survive longer than the enemy did, while delivering massive firepower in process. It was however, a truly unstable combat platform, and even the most skilled pilot will have a problem operating it at full efficiency.

Overall Rating:
Gunfight: 6/5
Close Combat: 2.5/5
Mobility: 3.5/5
Maneuverability: 3.5/5
Endurance: 5/5
Defense: 6/5
Total: 27/25

ST-12 Northwind Messiah

Pilot: Haruna Sairenji
Origin: Canada
Generation: 2.75
Type: Light Assault/ Marksman

Left behind by its neighbor, Canadians began to develop a truly indigenous design for the first time. Using all the knowledge gained from the venerable Raider/Arachne frames and the original White Knight, a brand new frame was born.

Northwind Messiah, often simply reported as “Sprite” is a compact unit, similar to the original White knight. Its minimalist design mostly does not interfere with its performance, in fact, enhanced its main function.

Its main weapon is a long rifle which comprised of coil gun and variable output laser in over-under configuration.

The Coil gun launches a small, superdense projectile beyond orbital velocity, having phenomenal effective range. It could be set to lower velocity for extra rapidity. The VO laser is similar; it could deliver long, focused beam or a series of short streak depending on the desired function. In spite of its overall size and mass, the weapon itself was considered compact due to its multirole capability.

As purely defensive weapon, it has two small laser turrets, one in each shoulder, usually used to swat missiles out of the sky. Two more was mounted in the pilot’s headgear and is linked with Image interface control.

It’s compact design and sleek appearance is the reason it gained its reporting name. More so due to the configuration of propulsion arrays, which does resemble the traditional concept of a fairy.

It was extremely agile machine, though since suspension field generator was made more compact, it wasn’t really suitable for direct CQC confrontation. It was armed by a pair of CQC blade for emergency situation.

Overall Rating:
Gunfight: 4/5
Close Combat: 2/5
Mobility: 5/5
Maneuverability: 6/5
Endurance: 4/5
Defense: 4/5
Total: 25/25
Old 2012-05-24, 11:24   Link #31285
greedyspectator

@Zero
You are absolutely correct on both counts.
It frustrates me to no end how they depict silencers in fiction. Guns, even handguns, do not produce that pfffft sound when fired through a silencer. The silencer reduces the sound from about 70 to 65. In other words, a gun with a silencer still sounds like a freaking gun. This is why stealth kills are better done by modern bows or modern crossbows... or hell even an old fashioned knife.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:33   Link #31286
Eratas123

Okay, decision time: Should the male kids be able to use IS even partially or not? If not, it'll allow me to show some dynamics between the kids.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:39   Link #31287
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

The question why they can and why they can't.

If it was genetics, then I don't see any reason some of them at least able to use I.S.

If not, then what made Ichika able to and his kids can't?

----

From here, I'll speak using my male ego (tm).

Let's say, my father is the first, and in this case, only male pilot, I am not, what will I feel about it?

How would other people react? Ridicule me? pitied me? or even calling me waste of good genes?

How about my female sibling? All of them are damn good pilot. What would I feel about it?

How my parents would treat me?

My life suck. The question is, how bad?
Old 2012-05-24, 11:42   Link #31288
demino_hellsin
That one guy

How heavy would a few layers of vectron, the shearing fluid and a couple plates of piezoelectric ceramic be?
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 11:42   Link #31289
greedyspectator

@Eratas
Just my opinion here, but you should do whatever you think you should do to make your story more enjoyable to write and read. I'm very new to writing fanfiction, so sorry I can't give any valuable advise.

But I do prefer the male kids being unable to use IS partially. Dynamic interaction is always intriguing for me. Of course, that is just my preference. Others will have different opinions.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:49   Link #31290
greedyspectator

@demi
It's Vectran. And a few layers of Vectran weighs exactly like a few layers of Kevlar, just twice as strong. And STF liquid barely weighs anything. It's roughly a quarter the weight of water, so its fairly light. Piezoelectric ceramics are a different matter. It depends on the qualities of the ceramic. If you want a ceramic with high Ultimate Tensile Strength and Ductility, its probably going to be quite heavy. Unless you're using Metamaterials, but I don't think they exist in IS verse (although they do exist in real life).

Going to sleep now. Good night.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:50   Link #31291
Eratas123

That's the thing. I'm afraid of turning it into an angst fest if none of the males an even partially use it. It's like one siblings a cripple while the other's a star athlete: Never any good comes of it.

Side note - I wonder if Ichika being polygamous would cause stares.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:56   Link #31292
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

^ I'd say go with partial ability. Less angst fest and more like "FUCKING GENETICS!", no male children is superior than Ichika in piloting department, but they ALSO have other talent inherited form their mothers.

Given who their father is, they go either "Ah screw it, don't expect too much from me" or "Screw it, I'm going to win no matter what it takes".

Cue instant dynamic with more traditional female siblings

It will cause stares, and feminist would despise the case so much they'll get aneurysm, but he got a Houdini card for the case of Poligamy.
Old 2012-05-24, 12:10   Link #31293
Eratas123

Okay, I think I should've made more male kids:/ There's only 4 of them, 5 if you count the Bifauxnen tomboy. Of those 4, 2 of them are extremely like their maternal parent, so it's hard to distinguish. The only normal guys are the clone and the fraternal twin:< Incdentally, the two of them are the snarkers in the group and only 1 is the only sane man.

Why would he get a Houdini card?
Old 2012-05-24, 12:19   Link #31294
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Well, it's not quite simple. Technically, he still can't marry them all legally, as in, no official paper with Ichika + 12 wives.

However, it'll be acknowledged no matter what.
Old 2012-05-24, 12:29   Link #31295
demino_hellsin
That one guy

would it be that big a loss if there would be no body armor at all?
Old 2012-05-24, 12:36   Link #31296
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

That's not only a big loss, that's utterly stupid suicide.

A cheap, full body equipment for sharpnel defense would be good enough.

Advanced fiber (kevlar or whatever), thermoplastic, thin ceramic, metal matrix etc. I imagine complex stuff made easier due to rapid advancement of technology. Hence cheaper product.

Still not going to do jack against I.S. weapon, but decent enough to shrug indirect damage.
Old 2012-05-24, 13:18   Link #31297
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyspectator View Post
By the way guys, at page 666-668, I think there was a discussion in chromosomes, and then came up the assertion that the male gender is slowly dying out. Recent research reveals that this is completely untrue.

Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_421919.html

The research paper also shows that apparently, the Y chromosome is more evolved than the rest of the human genetic code. The Y chromosome shows a 30% difference from that of chimps DNA, compared to the 2% difference in the X chromosome and all other chromosomes that we have.

Go men!
That's no excuse to claim that men are superior than women.... (Trust me... guys did that a lot....)

Admittedly, Gender Equality is still a work in progress.... but currently Females have more rights than guys.

Do guys mind?
From our society's perspective: they shouldn't. Guys should man up....more.

If you believe in Karma......
It might be due to centuries Guys oppressing the females....
Could take another few hundreds years before the trend is reverse.....or less if we are lucky enough.

Somehow, I have the strange feeling that most of our modern day problems can be traced back to our ancestor....

And modern people's laziness to change....
Old 2012-05-24, 19:12   Link #31298
demino_hellsin
That one guy

would a micro chain link body armor that disperses kinetic energy rather than stop it head on sound too farfetched?

Also, what happens happens. I don't believe in oppression. I just see someone being a jackass and I call them on it. Man or woman it don't matter.
Old 2012-05-24, 19:31   Link #31299
EthernalRain
Head of FRACTURE R&D

I come bearing boredom and a writer's block.

So... Anyone out there in the broad expanse of the internet?

And does anyone remember the resolution required to make a signature for this site? I'm trying my hand at making one.
EthernalRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 20:31   Link #31300
Eratas123

Long time no see, Rain.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest